Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Could I / Should I pull this off?

Default Could I / Should I pull this off?

My daughter will turn 13 the end of August. I would like to make a big deal of it for her because it's a special birthday, and school won't have started yet (one of the few times this happens). I first thought about renting a beach house for the weekend, and letting her bring a few friends. A few turned into 9 friends, and a beach house for that many (9 kids plus 4 of us) is over $1000 for a weekend. Plus, I'm not comfortable taking that many kids to the beach, I'm just not sure I could chaperone that many the way that I would want to. So, I talked to DD and told her maybe we'd just have the friends over for a little party, and the two of us would do a mom and me weekend. She loved the idea.

I've priced a few ideas (NYC, a spa resort in Phoenix, and of course, WDW). Believe it or not, WDW is the cheapest (using SR earnings, of course). Here's my proposed itinerary /budget:

Airfare: $400
    Hotel: (2 nights at Pop Century) $140 (I can book it on expedia using a $50 coup I have there!)
    Friday evening: dinner at DTD ($60) and shopping ($50)
    Saturday: Blizzard Beach or Typhoon: $75, lunch at BB, $50
    Saturday eve: hang at resort, eat dinner there at food court: $40
    Sunday: DTD DisneyQuest: $75 plus lunch there $40

Total: $930
    minus $50 Disney Dollars left from last trip
    equals $880
    minus $200 (amount I feel I can earn here on SR by Aug, including current balance)
    equals $680 out of pocket for weekend

My first question, is do you think my budget is doable? Second, will we regret being there and not going to the parks? It's such a short trip, in Friday, out Sunday, and I thought the waterpark would be (a) much cheaper and (b) cooler, it is August, and (c) we've never been to a WDW water park.

My other problem is I'm sure my son will be jealous. But, he has a football game that weekend (which I hate to miss) so he can't go anyway. He's huge into football. If we'd have done the beach house, he and dh could have driven home for the game and come back. I told him dd and I were doing a mom and me weekend and I'd do one with him for his 13th bday if he wants. He may prefer a dad and me weekend, honestly, and that would be fine with me.

Any thoughts? If I book the hotel on expedia I have to do so by Apr. 30, so I have a little time to think about this.
    Last edited by LyndaM; 04-08-2008 at 12:46 PM. Reason: edited to show hotel price is for 2 nights

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Is the hotel on expedia cheaper than going through Disney? Is the $140 for 2 nights or per night?

Just my thoughts... I did something similar to this a few years ago with my ex. I was visiting some friends in Jacksonville and I managed to talk them into driving to Orlando for 2 days. We opted for DisneyQuest and Pleasure Island and I was so disappointed afterwards that I hadn't spent that money and gone to MK for a day because that is what the two tickets equalled. DisneyQuest is fun for a few hours but then it gets old. But it sounds like you won't be there for a full day anyways so it should be ok.

But she is 13 and if she is into waterparks I would so do that. I'm not a waterpark/water person in general so its not something I've ever done so I can't recommend or not recommend that one.

Not sure where you looked in Phoenix but I went last year with work and stayed at a really nice place that wasn't too expensive and it had an onsite spa and waterpark. I think they averaged $150 a night for the room. I enjoyed the mountains and the fresh air a lot while there. It use to be called the South Pointe Mountain Resort but recently had a name change. You should be able to google that name and still find it.
    Sunshine Rewards

Thanks for the reply. I will check Disney, but on expedia the Pop is $82 per night, plus taxes. After my $50 coupon was deducted I'm getting 2 nights for $139 and change. So that averages $70 per night, and I thought that was good?

She is into waterparks, so I think she'd love it. And, we've never done DisneyQuest, either. So this would be two new things.

I checked a Pointe resort in AZ, I'd been there about 10 years ago. The rooms are great - like $89 per night! But when I add the flight, a rental car, our spa services, eating all our meals, and a shopping trip, I was over $1000.
    Plus, I think I really want to go to Orlando. The thing is, if we went to AZ, my son wouldn't be jealous. Not that huge of a factor, really, but somewhat.

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Ok I wasn't sure if that $140 was 2 nights or 1. I think 2 nights is a pretty good deal.

I know SWA flies into Phoenix but I'm not sure where you are coming in from so it might not work. Its a pretty small airport for such a big city or at least that was my impression. I believe that that hotel has shuttles that could get you to and from the airport and they have a shuttle to the outlet mall right across the street and 7 onsite restaurants so you might not really need the rental car. But enough about that. It might be more of a you and hubby trip than a mommy and me trip.

If she's into waterparks and Orlando I'd go there. Sounds like a great trip!
    Sunshine Rewards

I'm in Houston, so SWA would work. The hotel shuttle thing makes PHX more interesting. The resort you stayed at, do you remember what mall it was near? We shopped at Arizona Mills and I remember it had a Rainforst Cafe. I remember the craziest details!

What about Aquatica rather than a WDW waterpark? It might help the so near but so far sensation.
    Been here for almost 10 years...eep.

Quote Originally Posted by LyndaM View Post
    I'm in Houston, so SWA would work. The hotel shuttle thing makes PHX more interesting. The resort you stayed at, do you remember what mall it was near? We shopped at Arizona Mills and I remember it had a Rainforst Cafe. I remember the craziest details!
    Yeah I think that was the one. I didn't get to go the the mall because they kept letting us out so late each day and I was on a budget but I really wanted to go.

How did I not know you were here in Houston! We're neighbors.
    Sunshine Rewards

Oh let me pull up some old emails and see if I have anything about the place or what's nearby for you.
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by m 'n c View Post
    Oh let me pull up some old emails and see if I have anything about the place or what's nearby for you.
    Thanks, that's very sweet!

hmm I don't have much info left. Here is the new website.

http://www.arizonagrandresort.com/ph...ury-hotels.php

Since its under new mgt it might have gone up since last summer but I remember seeing adverts for it and it was ~$150 then per night.
    Sunshine Rewards