Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Meyer-Meeks Disney Vacation Club Hilton Head Trip

Default Meyer-Meeks Disney Vacation Club Hilton Head Trip

I'm finally ready to do my trip report! We had a blast last week, first hitting Chattanooga for a couple of days and then heading on to Hilton Head. I've got a whole photo gallery on my site (http://www.helpingmomsconnect.com/hiltonhead2008.htm) but I'll add just a few pictures to the trip report as well.

The Who: Meyer Family (me, SG, DD7 and DD5), Meeks Family (MissAngie, Angie's DH, Angie's DD9 and DS13)

The What: Joint family Spring Break trip

The Where: From Indiana to Chattanooga, Hilton Head, Savannah, and Knoxville

The When: April 4-12

First Stop: Chattanooga (Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday)

We headed out after work on Friday in two separate cars. The plan was to drive to Chattanooga to spend the weekend. We used Hilton Honors points to get FREE rooms at the Homewood Suites in Chattanooga. What a deal--included free breakfasts!

Checked in late Friday night and started out Saturday morning buying a three-way ticket to Ruby Falls, Rock City, and the Aquarium.

Ruby Falls: It took us about an hour and a half to walk down the caves and back to see the falls. It was really odd if you have never been in caves before. They did a great job of explaining the history of the caves and the falls. If you are the least bit claustrophobic, watch out!! Here are the girls in one of the walkways:

The Falls themselves were amazing. In an age where everything seems to be man-made, a natural fall like this is just awesome.

Lookout Mountain and Rock City: Absolutely beautiful! It was an overcast day, but we could still see for miles. Here was one of my favorite parts. Angie is afraid of heights and we convinced her to go across the scary rope bridge. Toward the end, I started rockin' it pretty good to freak her out.

This picture was taken REALLY high up--next to something called Lover's Leap. You can supposedly see like seven different states from up there. My kids thought it was awesome.

Aquarium: By the time we got here, the kids were getting a little worn out. We had been walking for miles. You can do it all in one day, but you had better be prepared! I loved the penguins and sharks in particular. You can see how tiring the day was:

Last stop--dinner! We found a place called Sticky Fingers and had some terrific barbeque. I would definitely recommend it.

Headed back to the hotel to get a good night of sleep before heading on to HH the next day.

ligrumpygirl is offline Ahhhh...so you only like me for my Moose Munch??

YEAH! I was waiting fo this TR...can't wait to hear about Hilton Head!
    Sunshine Rewards

Sounds like a fun time!

Wow, I would be TERRIFIED on that bridge! I honestly don't think I could do it! MissAngie deserves a big pat on the back to cross that if she is afraid of heights!

Can't wait to hear more!
    Debbie

icartjetta is offline Crap, I hate games. If I see naked people they better be good looking.

Tricia, your girls look like they've grown about a foot since I saw them in Oct.
    Looks like you guys had fun.
    Traci
    Sunshine Rewards

Second Stop: Hilton Head Island (Sunday)

We slept in on Sunday and leisurely made our way to Hilton Head. We didn't pull into the resort until about 4pm. Check-in at the Disney Vacation Club was very informal and easy. I was a little bit bummed that our room had no real view. We couldn't see the pool, the marsh, or the ocean. What's vacation without a view? I did find out later that the Meeks could see the marina out of one of their bedroom windows.

We rented a 2 bedroom villa. Pretty standard for DVC. Master bedroom with big tub and separate shower. Main area with fold out couch and kitchen. It had a need corner eat-in kitchen table with booth that actually seated 5. Kitchen was fully stocked with utensils, pots, pans, etc. There was a cute little "mud room" with a bench and coat hooks. Opposite it was the washer and dryer. It led to the Meeks' room, which had two beds (full maybe?) and a separate bathroom. Along the back of the villa ran a deck with a nice sized picnic table and two rocking chairs. Much nicer than the decks we have had a Wilderness Lodge.

The overall "feel" though was a lot like Wilderness Lodge in terms of the nature, woodsy thing. Each villa was only two stories high per HH codes and no rooms were on the first floor. Everything was at least 7 feet off the ground.

Angie and I headed to the Piggly Wiggly for food. This was shocking to us--the grocery stores did not sell liquor! And the liquor store was closed on Sunday. So we settled for groceries, beer, and some malt beverages.

Back at the room, we made sub sandwiches and ate quickly to make it to the Campfire. The two middle kids liked the campfire, the oldest and youngest didn't really. I really enjoyed the smores. LOL!

Here's a nice vacation-like picture to set the mood of the rest of the trip:

Can't wait for more!
    Been here for almost 10 years...eep.

Oh, really like it so far. Can't wait to hear more about Hilton Head. And you were in Savannah too? It's almost like you did my Honeymoon! (We did a road trip to Kentucky, Hilton Head, Savannah, and then the Disney Cruise and a few days at Grand Floridian) It's fun to "re-live" it. Keep it coming with the TR, that's why we love them!
    Lisa

Sunshine RewardsPhotobucket

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Ugh another state that doesn't sell liquor at the local grocery store/walmart/gas station? Can I tell you that was the biggest shock of moving to Texas? I tried going to Kroger to pick up Vodka and there was none to be had. I find out later you have to go to the liquor store. Back in Louisiana those places can be kinda shady.
    Sunshine Rewards

If you shook the bridge on me.....I may not be a sassy person, but you would have heard some sass by me! LOL

Those palm trees look beautiful! Can't wait to hear more.
    Angela
    Come read my blog! http://chattywomen.com/events - Angela's Events
    Sunshine Rewards

Prep yourself if you come to Boston in August-it's fairly rare to have booze in the supermarkets here.
    Been here for almost 10 years...eep.