Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going Green This Earth Day?

Lightbulb Going Green This Earth Day?

As I work on today's Sunshine Rewards newsletter, I am wondering....

What are you doing to be more green this Earth Day, April 22?

Are you doing anything special to celebrate? Are you educating yourself?

Positive responses only, please! This isn't meant as a debate over the necessity of being green, only to celebrate and share ideas.
    Tricia
    Sunshine Rewards Owner

Visit our sister sites!
    Helping Moms Connect|Buy Twilight Stuff|
    Percy Jackson Stuff|Hunger Games Fan
    Love the Smurfs

Two things I'm working on:
    1. Using re-usable bags at the grocery store (I have them-I just forget to *bring* them)...
    2. Reducing the number of pre-packaged foods I used-at present I'm working on reducing them in my luch-for example-nuts on the net nuts in a tupperware container rather than 100 calorie packs in their wrapping.

Don't forget that AK turns 10 on Earth Day.
    Been here for almost 10 years...eep.

PSL1013 is offline We plan to eat and drink around the world

I'm planning on getting some reusable "green" bags to take to the grocery store. I know I can buy them at the grocery store and I've seen them at Walmart but I would love to find some with a nice design on them....anyone know where I can purchase something like this, of course SR credit would be great but nothing really came up in a search.
    Pam
    Sunshine Rewards
    ENJOY TODAY, TOMORROW IS NOT PROMISED TO ANY OF US

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS: CUT THEM IN HALF AND RUB THEM ON YOUR ELBOWS AND KNEES

I too bought reusable bags this week! They are sitting by the front door so I need to remmber to put them in the van.

I WISH WISH WISH we could buy a green car. But we just don't have the money for that now. When we do get a new vehicle I will seriously look at those.

We do all the obvious; recycle, use energy effecient lightbulbs, bought energy efficient washer/dryer, etc.

I wish I could find something new to add to what we do. I have thought about using the kids bath water to water our garden but I am not sure I will do that.
    <Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by PSL1013 View Post
    I'm planning on getting some reusable "green" bags to take to the grocery store. I know I can buy them at the grocery store and I've seen them at Walmart but I would love to find some with a nice design on them....anyone know where I can purchase something like this, of course SR credit would be great but nothing really came up in a search.
    How about ReusableBags.com?
    Tricia
    Sunshine Rewards Owner

Visit our sister sites!
    Helping Moms Connect|Buy Twilight Stuff|
    Percy Jackson Stuff|Hunger Games Fan
    Love the Smurfs

askomsky is offline DUH!!!!! Smack myself upside the head

Careful or I'm going to beat your booty with a wet noodle until I drive you insane!

I too just bought a few of the reusable bags, I do have them in my van but sometimes forget to bring them in. I only bought 3 bc I do like the other grocery sacks bc I reuse them for so many other things. I used to throw diapers away with them, bathroom trash can, DH uses it as a lunch bag etc, but I have so many I figured I could cut it in half.

I'm eager for everyone elses ideas!
    Sunshine Rewards

I too use reusable bags and I love them and when I have too many groceries, I always ask for paper. I am driving the car that gets the highest gas mileage - DH is driving the companies car because he is working offsite.

I recycle. I try not to water the grass too much. Take shorter showers.

Dry a lot of my clothes outside.
    Karn
    Sunshine Rewards

Member #4187

askomsky is offline DUH!!!!! Smack myself upside the head

Careful or I'm going to beat your booty with a wet noodle until I drive you insane!

Quote Originally Posted by gpp2001 View Post
    I too use reusable bags and I love them and when I have too many groceries, I always ask for paper. I am driving the car that gets the highest gas mileage - DH is driving the companies car because he is working offsite.

I recycle. I try not to water the grass too much. Take shorter showers.

Dry a lot of my clothes outside.
    We recycle also but I've been looking at ways to recycle more. Around here they only take certain items, which I always recycle but trying to figure out where I can take the others.

My next car hopefully will be green, and we have a well so we do conserve water as much as possible! lol (It's really shallow compared to most)
    Sunshine Rewards

kimntrent is offline How fun this was. I loved it. Can we do it again some time?

As for the home front we have energy star light bulbs and energy efficient appliances in the house. We don't use bags at the store. If we can't carry it we don't need it.
    Last edited by kimntrent; 04-17-2008 at 12:55 PM.

I just looked at the reusablebags.com website - I have the ACME shopping bag and love it! It holds a ton of groceries and very easy to handle - I may have to order another one!! I have the Earthtote (just realized that there were several ACME bags!)

DH got it from work - he works for a very green company - their company car is a Prius.
    Last edited by gpp2001; 04-17-2008 at 12:51 PM.
    Karn
    Sunshine Rewards

Member #4187