Thread: Why do people delete/clear the cookies?

Default Why do people delete/clear the cookies?

Why do a lot of you guys clear out/delete your cookies? Is there some benefit to doing this? I have not cleared my cookies yet at all. I have the ebay 12 credits pending (I just opened an ebay account and tried for a winsor pilates auction, I lost- darn!), if I clear my cookies, will I loose that credit? I have a few other offers pending. Thanks!

a lot of offers track by credits. I generally give my cookies 24 hr after shopping, then clear.
    Been here for almost 10 years...eep.

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDiva2130 View Post
    Why do a lot of you guys clear out/delete your cookies? Is there some benefit to doing this? I have not cleared my cookies yet at all. I have the ebay 12 credits pending (I just opened an ebay account and tried for a winsor pilates auction, I lost- darn!), if I clear my cookies, will I loose that credit? I have a few other offers pending. Thanks!
    Lots of offers are run by the same advertiser and can sometimes use the same cookie. If you don't get rid of the old one from the day before it will override the new one and you won't get credit for the 2nd offer you do.

For example: OTX Surveys
    You can take 1 OTX a day. Its always the same "offer" and its always through the same advertiser. This survey tracks by cookies. So if you take 1 today you will have no problems getting credit. But... If you try tomorrow without clearing cookies you have a good chance of not getting credit for your survey. So that is why you want to clear cookies.

My rule of thumb for shopping is ~ 6 hours then I'll clear and do something else if I want/need to.
    Sunshine Rewards

About clearing cookies~ I use AOL and I have no idea how to clear cookiesI have tried to figure it out and have no idea. Any help would be appreciated
    Monica

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Quote Originally Posted by monicaabbeysmom View Post
    About clearing cookies~ I use AOL and I have no idea how to clear cookiesI have tried to figure it out and have no idea. Any help would be appreciated
    Monica
    Do you have a Mac or a Windows based pc? If you have a Windows based PC go to the Technical Issues section of the board and there is a sticky called Commonly discussed programs or something similar. In there I have a download link for a program called CCleaner. Download it and its a one click program. Very fast and does a pretty darn good job. Its totally safe to download.
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by m 'n c View Post
    Lots of offers are run by the same advertiser and can sometimes use the same cookie. If you don't get rid of the old one from the day before it will override the new one and you won't get credit for the 2nd offer you do.

For example: OTX Surveys
    You can take 1 OTX a day. Its always the same "offer" and its always through the same advertiser. This survey tracks by cookies. So if you take 1 today you will have no problems getting credit. But... If you try tomorrow without clearing cookies you have a good chance of not getting credit for your survey. So that is why you want to clear cookies.

My rule of thumb for shopping is ~ 6 hours then I'll clear and do something else if I want/need to.
    ahhh, OK! So do you generally clear your cookies everyday for the OTX survey? Also, jsut to double check, My ebay credit wont be lost by clearing my cookies? Thanks!

I clear every day. My routine is wake up, clear cookies, do whatever offers and surveys I need to during the day, shop at night, go to bed, repeat next day. That way all my cookies sit over night for shopping so I don't have to worry about deleting them too quickly.
    Sunshine Rewards

OK!! great. I think I'll do the same! Thanks so much for the help, being a newbie I really appreaciate it!