Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My problem with some shopping links

arob414 is offline Was able to finally get home and get in a quickie

And, everywhere I go, tonight, people are snapping and beating or banging or something and I am lost.

Default My problem with some shopping links

Last year, before I had issues with my laptop not being able to access the 'net, I had issues with not being able to access certain shopping sites thru SR. Off the top of my head, I can't remember if I was ever able to figure out the problem, however I could access the sites from DD12's computer. So, I know it is something to do with my laptop and its setting. An example is when I click on BestBuy, I get this msg:

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
    You are not connected to the Internet.
    The website is encountering problems.
    There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:
    Diagnose Connection Problems

More information

This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:

Internet connectivity has been lost.
    The website is temporarily unavailable.
    The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
    The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's domain.
    If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled under the security section.

ETc, ETC, ETC

I changed the advanced settings and none of the other things are an issue. I am pretty sure that it is tied to whichever crediting site those SR goes thru to collect whatever they collect to know I shopped there. I hope this makes sense. Other sites I can't get to are 1-800-Contacts, Coffee for Less and more. I can get to Drugstore.com, Circuit City, In the Swim and more. Strangely enough, I rarely have problems with the freebies, but I can't get to the YouPet.com site. I have tried it numerous times, thought it was just down until I started trying to do some shopping and remembered I had previously had this problem.

I THINK I just need to make some change that allows these sites thru. Any help would be appreciated. Currently, I am running ZoneAlarm (Free) and AVG. I use CC, AdAware and Advanced Windows Care, prn. DD12 has Comcast's McAffee but I stopped using it, a couple months ago. It may have been giving me internet access issues, and it maynot have been but it is SLOW.

Any help would be appreciated, by me, not necessarily by checking acct.

Have you tried resetting your router? That works for me when I'm having DNS issues.
    Been here for almost 10 years...eep.

And, everywhere I go, tonight, people are snapping and beating or banging or something and I am lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedy View Post
    Have you tried resetting your router? That works for me when I'm having DNS issues.
    I think I have done this but will try, again. Thing is there is no problem on DD12's puter. But, I prefer my laptop.

I have had this problem since Day 1 on SR. Shoebuy.com and Bealles are 2 that I can think of as well as several others. I have tried everything I can think of to correct it. When I got on line at WDW last month I had the same problem. That aleast told me it was not my connection, but some stupid setting on that computer.

I can connect using the desktop at home or my work computer. i just shop on my laptop for what I want and then go to another computer to order it.

Laura
    Disney Myspace GraphicsSunshine Rewards

I wasn't doing SR when I had Zone Alarm, but I remember *hating* it. I had such problems getting to my normal, safe, happy sites.
    Sunshine Rewards

What about trying different browsers too.
    If you think you know all the answers, it just means you haven't been asked all the questions.

I am never able to connect to Shoemall. Not sure why, but it never works for me. Fortunately Shoebuy usually has what I need! But it is strange anyway, so I am curious to know what solution you find, OP.
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards

cglaura is offline Am I the only one picturing the Brady Bunch

Did you check to make sure there are no sites in IE's blocked list?

(Tools, Internet Options, Privacy Tab on top, Sites Button)
    Coupon and Discount Shopping at Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by sunshinecindy View Post
    What about trying different browsers too.
    I have the same problem with FireFox.

Quote Originally Posted by cglaura View Post
    Did you check to make sure there are no sites in IE's blocked list?

(Tools, Internet Options, Privacy Tab on top, Sites Button)
    I have checked that, also.

Thru FireFox, and maybe IE, I am able to go up to Tools and see page info. That led me to looking at some of those sites, very closely, at the links associated with the SR page that would lead me to them. In one I found something (can't remember, I am also cleaning house) that lead me to Commission Junction and talked about opt out. I don't remember how I did it, but a long time ago, I used to go to a website and opt out of places that were known for their cookies. I don't remember how I did it and seems like I would lose the settings when I did something or other. But, that was a long time ago and I bet somewhere along the line I have opted out of those particular sites that track for those companies. I am still investigating. I am notorious for experimenting with my computer, alot more so than my sister with a degree in computers and nearly 25 yrs experience. I can usually get myself out of the jams I make it just may take me awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by arob414 View Post
    I am notorious for experimenting with my computer, alot more so than my sister with a degree in computers and nearly 25 yrs experience. I can usually get myself out of the jams I make it just may take me awhile.
    Please, when you figure it out, let me know.

Laura
    Disney Myspace GraphicsSunshine Rewards