Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't know where my thread should go. Re: Cruises

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Whew! that is alot of info. I was curious what Smart Casual was.

So you are assigned a dining time and you can do buffet if you want? On board entertainment sounds good too.

drink cards -> yeah i was talking the soda cards I guess. Somewhere I read something about alcohol cards being $44 for 12 or 15 drinks. I'm not sure where that was though.

I guess I need to work on cruise attire. Anything else I should know about on board dressing?
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by m 'n c View Post
    Whew! that is alot of info. I was curious what Smart Casual was.

So you are assigned a dining time and you can do buffet if you want?
    You pick which time you want when you book. Early or late. You always have the option not to go to the dining room and to go to the buffet instead or order room service.

On board entertainment sounds good too.
    There is lots more entertainment in the bars and clubs and at the pool. all that info will be in your Navigator (forgot the name earlier) the newspaper that will be in your stateroom every night for the next day.

drink cards -> yeah i was talking the soda cards I guess. Somewhere I read something about alcohol cards being $44 for 12 or 15 drinks. I'm not sure where that was though.
    I haven't heard of that but doesn't mean they don't have it. My drinking days are behind me. Now it's just a glass of wine here an there. You can ask your travel agent.

I guess I need to work on cruise attire. Anything else I should know about on board dressing?
    This is where the Cruise Critic forum might come in handy. Or Pam.....who just went on a Med cruise. Also depends on what the weather will be like where and when you are going. For the Caribbean, shorts and bathing suits are appropriate. Not sure for touring Europe. You need to check the weather for the ports you will be visiting. This is good it's so far ahead cause you can check it in July to see what it will be like. You want to be comfortable on excursions but not too cold or too warm.

During the day on the ship is casual. Shorts, jeans or slacks are fine depending on the weather. Bathing suits for the pool. You'll need to cover up to go in for lunch. If you are inside they usually will have the AC on. I wore shorts most of the time, but once in a while, I had to go back to my stateroom to get a sweatshirt or put long pants on, because I was cold.

As far as dressing for dinner. I really try to mix and match so I am not taking too much luggage. On this past cruise I took a couple of dresses I could add different accessories to so I could wear them more than once. I have fancy gaucho pants that I can wear different tops with. No one was looking at me except for my sisters........and they wore the same dresses more than once too. Steve wore the same suit 3 times. Different shirts and ties. On the smart casual night, he wore a long sleeve shirt and a tie. No jacket. There were people in the dining room that night who had sweat pants on. They did look very out of place. No one will say anything....or not let you in.....the dress code is a suggestion.

Speaking of Travel agents. Go to a couple of them and see what kind of deal they can work for you. Try AAA and an independent. Sometimes they can pull you into a group rate or get you a shipboard credit. Be sure to ask if they try to get a better rate once your booked. RCCL will discount your price if you have already booked...if they lower the price...but only if you ask. Sign up for RCCL emails. You'll start getting snail mail and in those mailings are coupons for discounts.

The TA we used to book our Alaskan cruise in 2009 said she calls the cruise lines every week to see if they can give her a better price. We got a shipboard credit and she paid for our dinner at the specialty restaurant. Let me know if you want her phone number. She's in CA.....and was recommended by a friend who uses her all the time. Said she always gets the best rates and better perks.

I'm going to bed. I'll check back in tomorrow.
    Last edited by ~Kathie; 06-19-2008 at 12:57 AM.
    Earn Cash Back at Sunshine Rewards

PSL1013 is offline We plan to eat and drink around the world

Quote Originally Posted by ~Kathie View Post
    You pick which time you want when you book. Early or late. You always have the option not to go to the dining room and to go to the buffet instead or order room service.

There is lots more entertainment in the bars and clubs and at the pool. all that info will be in your Navigator (forgot the name earlier) the newspaper that will be in your stateroom every night for the next day.

I haven't heard of that but doesn't mean they don't have it. My drinking days are behind me. Now it's just a glass of wine here an there. You can ask your travel agent.

This is where the Cruise Critic forum might come in handy. Or Pam.....who just went on a Med cruise. Also depends on what the weather will be like where and when you are going. For the Caribbean, shorts and bathing suits are appropriate. Not sure for touring Europe. You need to check the weather for the ports you will be visiting. This is good it's so far ahead cause you can check it in July to see what it will be like. You want to be comfortable on excursions but not too cold or too warm.

During the day on the ship is casual. Shorts, jeans or slacks are fine depending on the weather. Bathing suits for the pool. You'll need to cover up to go in for lunch. If you are inside they usually will have the AC on. I wore shorts most of the time, but once in a while, I had to go back to my stateroom to get a sweatshirt or put long pants on, because I was cold.

As far as dressing for dinner. I really try to mix and match so I am not taking too much luggage. On this past cruise I took a couple of dresses I could add different accessories to so I could wear them more than once. I have fancy gaucho pants that I can wear different tops with. No one was looking at me except for my sisters........and they wore the same dresses more than once too. Steve wore the same suit 3 times. Different shirts and ties. On the smart casual night, he wore a long sleeve shirt and a tie. No jacket. There were people in the dining room that night who had sweat pants on. They did look very out of place. No one will say anything....or not let you in.....the dress code is a suggestion.

Speaking of Travel agents. Go to a couple of them and see what kind of deal they can work for you. Try AAA and an independent. Sometimes they can pull you into a group rate or get you a shipboard credit. Be sure to ask if they try to get a better rate once your booked. RCCL will discount your price if you have already booked...if they lower the price...but only if you ask. Sign up for RCCL emails. You'll start getting snail mail and in those mailings are coupons for discounts.

The TA we used to book our Alaskan cruise in 2009 said she calls the cruise lines every week to see if they can give her a better price. We got a shipboard credit and she paid for our dinner at the specialty restaurant. Let me know if you want her phone number. She's in CA.....and was recommended by a friend who uses her all the time. Said she always gets the best rates and better perks.

I'm going to bed. I'll check back in tomorrow.
    We went on NCL which is a totally different kind of cruising, where it is all freestyle dinning and freestyle dressing..meaning you can go to eat anywhere at anytime on the ship with exception of the paying restaurants which you have to make a reservation at. With the freestyle attire, it means you can dress up if you want but you don't have to, no shorts in any of the dinning rooms, so a collared shirt and pants for the men and slacks or skirts for the women. They call it "resort casual". It was fantastic because I hate to dress up as we had formal nights on other cruises that we have been on (Princess) and I prefer to wear casual and it makes for easier packing too. (less shoes for one reason ) I wore the same black sandals every night and sneakers with capri's on our excursions or shorts on the ship for daytime.

On our tours we HAD to all wear pants (capri's), no bare legs/shoulders in the European churches that we went to and we went into churches on almost every tour we took that week. You need to check what tours you will be taking and they usually will tell you how to dress. NCL also has freestyle disembarkation which means you can leave the ship at your leisure, which is great, you decide when you want to leave....other cruises that we have been on give you a time to get off. It really is a more relaxed and casual way of cruising, I loved NCL for that reason but prefer the food on Princess. Cruise lines are all so different. I've never been on RCCL, I had a reservation on Sovereign Of The Seas a couple of years ago but had to cancel it and we never got to go but I'm sure you will have a great time on this cruise and any future cruises that you go on...cruising is addicting!
    Pam
    Sunshine Rewards
    ENJOY TODAY, TOMORROW IS NOT PROMISED TO ANY OF US

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS: CUT THEM IN HALF AND RUB THEM ON YOUR ELBOWS AND KNEES

m 'n c is offline Is there a tequilla club I could join?? I'd settle for rum though.

Hey Pam! I was about to stop by your thread again and take a look at your clothing. I remember reading Europe is not really keen on shorts when I was researching the UK.

I'm assuming no on jeans correct?

What types of shoes do you wear so that you are comfortable touring around.
    Sunshine Rewards

Hey Pam! I was about to stop by your thread again and take a look at your clothing. I remember reading Europe is not really keen on shorts when I was researching the UK.

I'm assuming no on jeans correct?

What types of shoes do you wear so that you are comfortable touring around.
    I'm pretty sure nice jeans would be fine, as long as your legs are covered. Shoulders have to be covered too (no tank tops) at least where we went. Our weather was in the high 70's, so I was very comfortable in my capri's. My husband and other male friend wore shorts twice, when we opted out of seeing one of the churches one day and they were fine. Shorts are not banned, I saw many people with shorts on, just depends on what you want to see? I wore my New Balance sneakers everyday, these are the same shoes I always wear at Disney, so I knew they would be comfortable for all day walking.
    Pam
    Sunshine Rewards

WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU LEMONS: CUT THEM IN HALF AND RUB THEM ON YOUR ELBOWS AND KNEES

Quote Originally Posted by PSL1013 View Post
    I'm pretty sure nice jeans would be fine, as long as your legs are covered. Shoulders have to be covered too (no tank tops) at least where we went. Our weather was in the high 70's, so I was very comfortable in my capri's. My husband and other male friend wore shorts twice, when we opted out of seeing one of the churches one day and they were fine. Shorts are not banned, I saw many people with shorts on, just depends on what you want to see? I wore my New Balance sneakers everyday, these are the same shoes I always wear at Disney, so I knew they would be comfortable for all day walking.
    Thanks! I need to remember since I'll be close to the coast it will be breezy and cooler than say a Caribbean cruise. I'll have to start looking around for capris and short sleeve shirts. Mike will be the tough one though. He loves his cargo shorts.
    Sunshine Rewards

Ok a couple of new questions I thought of.

Did yall typically book cruise & air together thru the cruise line or do you do them separetely?

Did yall tack on a few extra days at your starting port? If so did you go thru the cruise line or did you do it yourself?

I would assume you could probably do everything cheaper on it's own but is it worth it?
    Sunshine Rewards

Ok a couple of new questions I thought of.

Did yall typically book cruise & air together thru the cruise line or do you do them separetely?

Did yall tack on a few extra days at your starting port? If so did you go thru the cruise line or did you do it yourself?

I would assume you could probably do everything cheaper on it's own but is it worth it?
    We always book separately because it's usually cheaper to to it this way. We always go a day early if flying someplace because you never want to take a chance on airline cancellations or delays or mechanical problems....you wouldn't want to miss the boat..you would have to get yourself to the next port at your expense to get on, not a good thing! But we always book tours through the cruise line because this way if the tour is a bit late getting back for some reason the ship will wait for you to return.
    Pam
    Sunshine Rewards

Quote Originally Posted by PSL1013 View Post
    We always book separately because it's usually cheaper to to it this way. We always go a day early if flying someplace because you never want to take a chance on airline cancellations or delays or mechanical problems....you wouldn't want to miss the boat..you would have to get yourself to the next port at your expense to get on, not a good thing! But we always book tours through the cruise line because this way if the tour is a bit late getting back for some reason the ship will wait for you to return.
    Thanks! I noticed something on RCL's webpage about a transportation fee to the port if you didn't combine your air and cruise in a package. Is that usually something like a $50 fee (I realize it will vary based on location and such)? Just wondering if it is enough to make you book both together or not anything to really worry about.

Oh I broke the news about the shorts to Mike. He was a tad upset but got over it nicely.
    Sunshine Rewards

Thanks! I noticed something on RCL's webpage about a transportation fee to the port if you didn't combine your air and cruise in a package. Is that usually something like a $50 fee (I realize it will vary based on location and such)? Just wondering if it is enough to make you book both together or not anything to really worry about.

Oh I broke the news about the shorts to Mike. He was a tad upset but got over it nicely.
    We didn't purchase the transfers, just took a taxi to the hotel and then to the port the next morning....on the return, NCL had us convinced to get the transfer, they were saying that taxi's would be limited and we didn't want to take a chance, we had to be one of the first off the ship because our flight out was late morning....it cost us $25pp and on NCL you could purchase it on the ship, I'm sure most ships offer this option too but we really didn't need it, there were plenty of taxi's available.... also another reason is because we really didn't have a clue as to what the taxi would have cost us in Euro's and we decided to exchange our remaining Euro's in on the ship the night before we left and taking the transfer was more convenient and we figured the cost would have been about the same anyway.
    Pam
    Sunshine Rewards