Sunshine Rewards Forum Sunshine Rewards Members Login

Join Sunshine Rewards

Go Back   Sunshine Rewards Forum > Trip Reports > Disney Trip Reports

Old 07-06-2010, 07:15 PM
I'm a Sunshine Rewards Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessing and Miracle View Post
Robin, I love your TR. And you have some great photos. What kind of camera did you use?

Your TR title is perfect.
Thanks. Most of the pictures taken at the Boardwalk were from my new Nikon D3000. All of the pictures at the parks were on my old Kodak LS753. I didn't feel like carrying the larger SLR to the parks so used my old trusty standby.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbangel View Post
I can't believe the line for the TTA! I was there for EMH the Friday before this and it wasn't nearly that busy!
I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy the Electrical Parade. It is one of my fav parades ever - just hearing the music makes me smile.
We must have had the same server at Cape May. We didn't find it that busy but our server barely talked to us either. I did love the lava cake dessert there. Yum. I'll have to put Kouzina on the list of places to try. That is Cat Cora's new place right?
That's how I feel about Spectromagic- I even listen to the Spectro music on the tread mill. I'm sure if I saw the Electrical Parade as many times as I've seen Spectro I would have a different opinion.

Yep- Kouzzina is Cat Cora's restaurant.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:27 PM
Sunshine Rewards Master
Awards Showcase
Friend in Need Award: This award winner has given of themself to a friend in need in the Sunshine Rewards community. - Issue reason: Lisa M I think would be a great recipient of this award...with everything she is going through now and still onboard SR giving advice and helping. 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnapfan View Post
Thanks. Most of the pictures taken at the Boardwalk were from my new Nikon D3000. All of the pictures at the parks were on my old Kodak LS753. I didn't feel like carrying the larger SLR to the parks so used my old trusty standby.
Very impressive. Is the Nikon easy to operate? I've previously owned a couple of Kodak cameras but neither lived up to my expectations, but your pictures make me wanna try again. I have a Cannon that I'm very pleased with and just purchased an Olympus that I've yet to use it so I'm hoping that it produces as nice as yours. I'm gonna have look into your cameras. Thanks for the info.

Now back to your TR. Sorry if I intruded.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:46 PM

Day 5
Saturday, June 19th

Up until this point we had visited MK a few times but only for just a few hours at a time. This was my scheduled Magic Kingdom day- finally.

Castle at rope drop

As usual we arrived for rope drop and headed straight for Splash Mountain, followed by Big Thunder Mountain then across the park to ride Space Mountain, all walk-ons. We were all excited that we rode all 3 mountains in just under an hour. Next we rode Buzz Lightyear, Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan and Hall of Presidents all by 11:30am. After leaving Presidents we stopped to enjoy the Main Street Philharmonic which was performing right outside and then headed to Columbia Harbour House for lunch which was yummy as usual. I just love their tuna salad sandwich! Next up was the Country Bear Jamboree which I love but DH and DS think is cheesy and stupid. They just tolerate it because of me. I guess they know what's good for them. Afterwards we used snack credits to get some dole whips before heading back to the hotel.

A few Mk pics:

Construction walls in Fantasy Land

Back at the hotel we had a nice swim and rest before leaving for dinner. This was our 1st day without an afternoon rainshower- yay! Dinner this night was at Ohana and we all absolutely loved it. We had a table right up against the windows where I had a view of the Grand Floridian and DS had a view of the castle. When he told me he could see the castle I told him he had to trade seats with me but he refused. Nice kid that he is though- he took a picture of his view on his cell phone and kept showing it to me and rubbing it in. After dinner we wandered around the Polynesian for a bit before catching a bus for Downtown Disney.

Ohana

My view at Ohana

This was to be our big shopping trip. We typically wait until near the end of our vacation and then have one big shopping spree at the World of Disney instead of a bunch of little shopping trips all week. DS was happy and excited that he was going to buy souvenirs for his girlfriend back home and I was happy and excited that he wasn't crabby. As the bus neared Downtown Disney, right near Saratoga Springs, the skies opened up and it just downpoured. At this point I realized I had made two big mistakes. 1: we should have driven the car instead of taking the bus and 2: I didn't bring the ponchos. Since it hadn't rained all day I figured we were in the clear. Boy was I wrong! We got off the bus at the marketplace since it didn't pay to stay on it and go back to the Poly. We waited under the bus shelter for the rain to let up but it never did. Finally about 30 minutes later a Boardwalk bus showed up but it was 2 stops down from where we were. We made a mad dash for it but of course were completely soaked when we got there. DS was very mad that we left without doing any shopping and DH and I were crabby because we were wet and freezing on the bus. To make matters worse the Boardwalk was the last stop after the Swan, Dolphin, Yacht and Beach Clubs so it took us over an hour to get to our hotel. Back at the hotel DH and DS went straight to bed while I changed and went down to the resort gift shop since I still had shopping on my mind.

Rain at Downtown Disney

Up next: Our final day before heading home.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessing and Miracle View Post
Very impressive. Is the Nikon easy to operate? I've previously owned a couple of Kodak cameras but neither lived up to my expectations, but your pictures make me wanna try again. I have a Cannon that I'm very pleased with and just purchased an Olympus that I've yet to use it so I'm hoping that it produces as nice as yours. I'm gonna have look into your cameras. Thanks for the info.

Now back to your TR. Sorry if I intruded.
My kodak is 6 or 7 years old. I don't think they even make it anymore, but I have always been very pleased with it. My Nikon is pretty easy to use although I mainly just use the automatic settings. I'm still experimenting and learning about all the manual stuff.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2010, 12:23 AM

Robin, thanks for more! I have a D3000 too! I just bought it for myself this year...splurged and got the dslr! I am still a novice and have trouble with anything other than auto....and even that gives me grief sometimes. Anything you can recommend?
btw, love the pics! keep em' coming!

Old 07-11-2010, 12:18 PM

Ok- where did I leave off?

Day 6
Sunday, June 20th

This was another open spot on our schedule so the guys decided to go back to Epcot. Epcot was having early EMH but we slept in and arrived at 8:45. We went straight to Soarin and rode it with a 30 minute wait. After that we went to check out Sum of All Thrills in Innoventions. This is a virtual reality type ride where you design your own rollercoaster, bobsled coarse or jet plane ride. DS and I did this while DH sat out. It was about a 20 minute wait. We decided to do the roller coaster. Now I'm a big chicken so we designed our ride pretty tame- no upside down loops, just a few drops and cork screws and a max speed of about 65 mph. When we got in the simulator I got a little claustrophobic again (just like Mission Space) but once the ride started I was fine. It turned out that the ride we made WAS really tame (still fun though) and I could have handled a lot more than that. We debated doing it again and making a more intense ride but decided to move on. There's always next year.

Next we headed to Mouse Gears to do the shopping that we missed out on the night before.

DS buying souvenirs for his girlfriend

After our shopping spree DS wanted to eat lunch in China. We have eaten at the Lotus Blossum many times and always enjoyed it but this time it wasn't so great. DS had the orange chicken which was ok but I had the shrimp fried rice and DH had the beef noodle soup bowl and niether had any flavor.

We took our time and casually strolled around World Showcase. We shopped in a few more stores and when we reached France we stopped to watch these performers.

After their little show we went inside to see Impressions of France. This was another thing we had never seen before and we all enjoyed it. By now it was going on 1:00pm and getting very hot outside so we headed back to the Boardwalk for a swim and rest.

Dinner this night was at Hollywood & Vine with the Fantasmic! Dining Package. Our ADR was for 4:45 so we left the hotel shortly after 4 to walk to the park and of course it started to rain. Luckily it was just a light rain so we threw on our ponchos and kept walking. We checked in at the restaurant at 4:35 and were seated immediately. The food here was nothing special or out of the ordinary but was quite tasty and our waiter was great. I especially liked the spoon corn bread.

After dinner we rode RocknRoller coaster with only a 30 minute wait. As we exited the ride and were on our way to ride TOT we noticed this:

People already starting to camp out at 6:30 for the 9:00 Fantasmic show

After TOT we visited the Magic of Disney Animation and the The Voyage of the Little Mermaid. Having a son we have never had the desire to see the little mermaid show in the past but decided to give it a shot. Boy were we missing out all those years. I was quite surprised that it wasn't a girly, girly show but rather a nice bit of musical theater.

By now it was time to head over to Fantasmic. We entered the Fantasmic Dining Package entrance at 8:20 and had a nice stroll (no crowds) to the theater.

I was worried that the reserved seats wouldn't have a good view since they are off to the side but it was just fine. We watched as the amphitheater filled up and was standing room only and were all very happy to not have to deal with those huge crowds. I think we will always do the Fantasmic dining package on our future visits. Anyway, the show was wonderful as usual and a nice end to our vacation.

Up next: we head home and some final thoughts.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:14 PM
Hey, there is no traffic better than all of us! They need to get a grip!

How did I miss this great TR up to now! Also love the pics. Your rainy day in Hollywood Studios reminded me of our February trip where the skies opened up with vengence. Not fun. When the rain finally stopped, we rode the Backlot Tour, the skies suddenly opened again, and the rain literally poured right into the tram. Our ponchos didn't do any good as the seats flooded. With it being about 45 degrees that day, we were pretty miserable after that.

Never stayed at the Boardwalk, but it's a definite consideration after your description. I like the easy accessibility to Epcot and Hollywood Studios.

Thanks again for the excellent pics and narrative!
Old 07-11-2010, 06:56 PM
I Know My Sunshine Rewards!

I love that no matter how many trips you take, you can always find something new to do at WDW.

Thanks for continuing to share your trip with us!
Old 07-11-2010, 07:00 PM
I just want to buy Disney stuff!
Awards Showcase
Friend in Need Award: This award winner has given of themself to a friend in need in the Sunshine Rewards community. - Issue reason: As many of us know Carla is an amazing cake designer. One day as I was looking at all of her cakes on Facebook I came across the cake pops that she makes. Because I was doing the favors for my nephew's upcoming rehearsal lunch, I decided I would love to h 
Total Awards: 1

Love the trip report!!

Hmmm...is it bad that I recognized Mouse Gears in the picture before I read the description.