PDA

View Full Version : Blockbuster or Netflix?

Anne
06-30-2007, 10:40 AM
Hey everyone. I have decided to try out one of these two programs. Anyone have an opinion on which one they like better?

TIA!

Mandi
06-30-2007, 11:04 AM
I've done both and I prefer Blockbuster. I like being able to go and exchange a movie I have watched already for one in the store anytime I want. Whenever you exchange one in the store they also immediately send one from your queue. So it's like getting 2 movies at once, kwim?

Of course, now Netflix has come out with a new feature where you can download movies directly to your PC since they can't compete with Blockbuster's b&m store exchange. I believe I read somewhere that you get as many free downloads for the month as you spend $$. So if you get the $18 package deal, you can download up to 18 movies. Don't quote me on that though.

Even with that feature I'd still go with blockbuster. I personally don't care to watch movies on my desktop or laptop. IMO if I'm going to enjoy a movie, I want it to be on my big screen tv with surround sound. But that's me. :)

Oh yeah, turn around time on both for me was pretty much the same. I usually had a new movie after mailing one off in about 3-4 days.

MdCaterer
06-30-2007, 11:44 AM
I have been a member for almost 6 months. You can change your membership terms monthly if you like. Get unlimited movies for $17.99 or whatever and then the next month only get two movies one at at time for $5.99! You get the bonus of returning each movie to your local store (if you have one close) so it is double PLUS get a printable coupon every month for a free movie or game rental from your local store. The games are $7.99 a week to rent. So for $5.99 plus tax you can see 4 movies and rent a free game or see 5 movies! That beats the heck out of movie theatre prices and half of the movies come to you!! I have recommended it to many people. It is an awesome deal.
In fairness I have never tried netflix. But the blockbutser offer rocks. Plus you get awseome SR rewards and sometimes a disney gift certificate it doesn't get much better than that rewards wise! HTH:rotfl:

Debbie Jean
06-30-2007, 12:25 PM
I've been with Netflix for several years but was thinking of switching to Blockbuster so we can trade them in at our local store if we feel like it.

I already made Super Member for this quarter :cooldance: so I was going to wait until July to sign on with Blockbuster :sunshine:

Candi
06-30-2007, 01:44 PM
I just recently switched to Netflix. I only had Blockbuster for a month and was very disappointed. There is not a store in my town so it might have been better if I could go to the store to exchange movies. The time it took to get new movies was too long, in my opionion. Also, I got Full House Season One for dd. They sent me the 2nd disc first. I was annoyed by that.

dmarino
06-30-2007, 02:32 PM
I've had both and, while I think Netflix got movies to me a bit quicker since they have a distribution center in my city, I prefer Blockbuster for the in-store exchange. Like someone said earlier, it's like getting 2 movies at a time sometimes, even on the 1 movie per month plan, which is what I have. You can also print a coupon off the website for 1 free rental a month, so there's yet another perk.

Kycha
06-30-2007, 02:44 PM
Another vote for Blockbuster. You just can't beat the in store exchange and effectively getting 2 movies for the price of 1. And when you exchange the movie in store, it is immediately removed from your online queue. So, you no longer have to wait for snail mail.

I did have Netflix, years ago, when they first began. There was just too much turnaround time. Sometimes over a week. I imagine there are more distribution centers now. Which would cut down on the wait time.

wilsonfamily4
06-30-2007, 06:08 PM
I think the OP needs to consider if they have a blockbuster nearby. We do not and so the best bet for me is Netflix. They move movies faster ( I have had both Blockbuster and Netflix so I do know). Netflix added a program that trys to keep up with blockbusters exchange program by allowing you to watch as many hours free on your computer as you buy. So I have the $17.99 membership so I get 18 hours free viewing on my computer of over 3000 titles. This is great for letting my kids watch something on the computer if i want them to be in a certain room.

But if you have a blockbuster near by then you can get more bang for your buck by returning movies to the store to get a new movie.

m 'n c
06-30-2007, 06:11 PM
I have Netflix and I love them! I have a distribution center in my town and sometimes it will go to the one 2 hours away but I still get the same 1 day turn around from them. The only time its longer is if its an older title that has to come from somewhere far away but that is not often. I also tend to play with my queue and my return mailing so that I can either get a new release the first day its out or so I can ensure the movies I want will come when I want them to come.

I've had too many run ins with Blockbuster over the years so while the thought of swaping out movies in store is nice I'd never switch because of my hatred towards Blockbuster. Plus I rarely ever get to the point where I"ve watched all 3 movies and need another one right away.

docsmom
06-30-2007, 08:01 PM
I didn't have a good experience with Blockbuster. Took a very, very long time to get movies...7-9 days. I had the same thing happen to me that Candi mentioned...they sent the 2nd disk of a 2 disk series first...then took almost 10 days to send the first disk. :( That's when I went back to Netflix.

Exchanging for a movie at the store was a perk, but I really don't want the hassle with going to a video store (lazy me). :p

Hannahsmom
07-01-2007, 07:00 PM
I thought the website for Netflix was easier to navigate. Other than that not much difference.

Alice28
07-13-2007, 12:52 PM
I just signed up with Netflix, as I had tried Blockbuster last year and not loved it (turnaround time). Anyone recall how long it takes to credit here? I'm excited to have a bunch of new movies for the kids, as DH goes on his annual 2 week training with the military soon, so it will be long evenings here....movies help!

ItsmeSunnyV
07-13-2007, 04:25 PM
I used netflix for years, and switched over to Blockbuster when I joined SR.:p I had both for awhile, but once I tried blockbuster, I chose it over the other for the store exchange program. It comes in handy quite a bit!!

Debbie Jean
07-13-2007, 07:13 PM
I used netflix for years, and switched over to Blockbuster when I joined SR.:p I had both for awhile, but once I tried blockbuster, I chose it over the other for the store exchange program. It comes in handy quite a bit!!

I also had Netflix for years and just switched to Blockbuster to take advantage of the store exchange feature. :cooldance:

Question: does anyone know how long it takes for the credit to show up as pending? TIA