PDA

View Full Version : WARNING!!! Watch your email and spam mail

MdCaterer
07-17-2008, 10:59 AM
I just checked the email that I use for offers. (Just started it and used it only for a few of the crazy credits yesterday.) I went to check to see if anything else credited and found an email thanking me for ordering 3 years of Parenting Magazine!!!! It had my name address the whole bit. Now I know I DID NOT click on anything offering for me to buy 3 years of Parenting Magazine so it had to be associated with one of the Crazy Credit Offers so check your emails.

OhMari
07-17-2008, 11:02 AM
I got Fitness Magazine. They were going to start sending me the magazine and bill me later. I was able to "unsubscribe". I know we are not suppose to sign up for something, then cancel, but I never clicked on the Fitness Magazine, even though I need it.

SunshineGirl
07-17-2008, 11:06 AM
Sometimes I get these and they are just phishing to try to get you to go to their site and confirm that you bought something. So definitely pay attention.

I've also noticed a new spam lately that is not coming through offers but is even more scary. It's about verifying my payment options for accounts. The first one almost go me because I do have an account with a similar sounding company. And they sent it to an email address that I do NOT use for offers. It's one of my business accounts. Clearly someone that I do business with sold out my information. Grrrr.....

jnorth1007
07-17-2008, 11:06 AM
Sometimes I have seen magazines show up and I just called them and they cancelled the subscription and I have never had to pay for a magazine I didn't order.

Sunni
07-17-2008, 11:11 AM
Sometimes I get these and they are just phishing to try to get you to go to their site and confirm that you bought something. So definitely pay attention.

I've also noticed a new spam lately that is not coming through offers but is even more scary. It's about verifying my payment options for accounts. The first one almost go me because I do have an account with a similar sounding company. And they sent it to an email address that I do NOT use for offers. It's one of my business accounts. Clearly someone that I do business with sold out my information. Grrrr.....

That is awful! :mad:

sunshinecindy
07-17-2008, 11:13 AM
I check my DH mail everyday since he never gets around to it. He doesn't do any type of offers, and yet, he gets emails like that all the time. If you search the net at all, you are suspect to get these type of things. I've also heard that they like you to respond to the emails just so they know its a legit email and then they start bombarding you with stuff, and if you don't answer, or try to unsubscribe, they take you off their list.....just part of the internet world. BTW, I never subscribed to Parents magazine, never paid for it, and still get it, along with Revenue magazine and Home Business. I've never even acknowledged any of them, and I know they aren't getting any money.

lanny76
07-17-2008, 11:15 AM

That's not good at all!
I get some official sounding ones that talk about how my loan was approved, or refinancing, etc, etc, and wanting me to confirm, blah blah. It comes to the email I rarely use for offers. Also get the magazine subscription emails, too - but I have ignored those and never received any magazine I didn't really subscribe to.
I should mention tho - my DH started getting the Parents, Parenting, and Child magazines before we were even married, and we still get them - tho they have never billed us! Funny that they decided to send them to him.
Also, he gets a lot of computer/tech magazines the same way.

SunshineGirl
07-17-2008, 11:30 AM
BTW, I never subscribed to Parents magazine, never paid for it, and still get it, along with Revenue magazine and Home Business. I've never even acknowledged any of them, and I know they aren't getting any money.

Revenue magazine is a really good one. You get that one for going to Affiliate Summit. My dream is to have Revenue Magazine write an article about me some day. :banana:

SunshineGirl
07-17-2008, 11:32 AM
I just got another one of those new spam ones. Here is what it looks like in case anyone gets it. This came to my very personal email address that almost no one has. :(

From admin_support@digitalinsight.com

Dear Administrator,

We inform you that your account is about to expire. It is strongly recommended to update it immediately. Update form is located here. However, failure to confirm your records may result in account suspension.

Confidential: Please be advised that the information contained in this email message, including all attached documents or files, is privileged and confidential and is intended only for the use of the individual or individuals addressed. Any other use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. This is the automated message. Please don't reply.

hjohnson6
07-17-2008, 11:43 AM
That might explain why we get Entertainment Weekly at our house. We never subscribed to it and have never paid for it. I do enjoy reading it thought.

bartleby1
07-17-2008, 12:12 PM
I don't want to scare anyone, but please be diligent in canceling magazine subscriptions that appear at your house that you didn't order. About 5 or 6 years ago, I had started receiving some Golf magazine that I didn't order. I'm sure it was linked to some type of offer I signed up for through a rewards program. I ignored it since I knew I hadn't signed up for it and I figured they would stop sending it if I didn't pay for it (stupid, I know), but instead they sent me to a collections agency. I did get it all worked out in the end, but it was not fun.

Now, I am very careful to cancel anything that I didn't sign up for!

KJFAE
07-17-2008, 02:42 PM
At least you guys are getting interesting mags - somehow, I had a subscription started in my name for Grandparents Magazine (which I did call to cancel). As if that's not bad enough, I now continually receive all sorts of AARP offers & others for those over 65. The kicker is, I'm only 37!!

jfrog
07-18-2008, 12:28 AM
OMG - I have gotten so many magazines during the past year -- fishing, hunting, parenting, AARP-I'm only 42! and something about horses. I can only track the fishing one as a result of checking a box on one of those "check all of your interests" questions in some of the offers. I meant to check education which was right above fishing in the alphab. list. I did manage to cancel all of those. The funniest part was receiving AARP magazine and BABY magazine along with diaper samples and formula all in the same week! Keeps our mail carrier entertained! :D

mseg16222
07-18-2008, 07:46 AM
I receive at least 1 copy of 2-3 magazines a month and have never got billed.