PDA

View Full Version : Dorm Shopping?

sammielynn
07-29-2008, 09:44 AM
My DS19 leaves for college on Aug 16. It has been a very long time since I lived in a dorm. What are some of the must haves for today's college dorm? I feel silly asking this question because I have worked in Higher Education for 28 years! But I work for a Community College so no dorms.

sunshinecindy
07-29-2008, 09:55 AM
Kmart has the bed in a bag for dorms on sale for 39.99 this week. They have some pretty awesome ones.

SunshineGirl
07-29-2008, 10:00 AM
We probably overdid it when we went to college, but my best friend and I loaded up. LOL!

Some stacking shelves/crates were nice because we could use them for books, clothes, anything.

Does he already have a mini fridge provided by the school? I really considered it a necessity in college. We kept a pitcher of lemonade and fruit in there constantly.

Boys are probably different than girls but we had a little hot plate for making soups, ramen noodles, etc. Maybe we also had a small microwave? LOL! Probably. I'm telling you, our room was like a junior suite.

Lots of space saving/organization stuff. It seemed like there was never enough room...especially the longer that we lived there!

Bathroom stuff--not sure what their bathrooms were like but we had to walk to ours, so we each had a little basket-type thing where we kept our shampoo, soap, etc in so we could just grab it and a towel instead of carrying everything with us separately.

We also wore shower shoes in the community shower. Again, not sure it is something guys care about. But it was basically like a gym shower in that a lot of people ended up with icky stuff on their feet and it would spread like wild fire if you didn't wear shower sandals or something down there.

Just some thoughts. :)

m 'n c
07-29-2008, 10:02 AM
All I have to say is you do not have to get everything each store tells you that you need.

I would look for extra long twin bed sheets as most dorm beds are abnormally long.

Other good items:
desk lamp
pop up laundry hamper
dorm fridge (get the larger one not the tiny small one)
mini microwave

Is the dorm carpeted or flooring? If dorm you might want to consider a bath mat to step on when you wake up.

Community bath? If so go to old navy and get flip flops and a robe & bath caddy.

Some plastic storage containers/bins are good. No matter how clean you keep it there are always bugs in the dorms

missangie
07-29-2008, 10:06 AM
Every dorm room needs a small refrig. and a small microwave. Closet space is generally limited so you will need some closet space savers and organizers. Check out Get Organized! Each student should have a desk--new desk supplies would be in order i.e. pencil/pen holder, paper clips, highlighters, post its, etc. The big ticket items you may already have covered, but most college students will have a laptop/computer, MP3, cell phone, etc. We have some great merchants for these items. Check out Best Buy, Circuit City, Apple, Dell, QVC, or HSN. College students also need a piggy bank! Small change is perfect for the laundry room and vending machines. :)

I could go on, but that should get you started! Congratulations, this is a big time for everyone in your family. Off to college--how exciting!!

bajam
07-29-2008, 10:09 AM
Power strips

iluvamystery89
07-29-2008, 10:11 AM
i would think a small refrigerator and a small microwave/hot plate as tricia mentioned would be a necessity, especially for those late-night study sessions when the dining hall is closed. some type of laundry hamper, rolls of quarters for the laundry room, DEFINITELY flip-flops for the shower (i won't even use a hotel shower without them). i'm sure he's got a laptop, but he'll probably need a lock or locking case to keep it safe if he doesn't have one already. if he wants to decorate his dorm room walls, i'm sure there are restrictions, so he might need some command adhesive hooks or something similar that's removable. i know this sounds silly b/c guys aren't into cleaning, but since he'll probably be eating in his room, he may also need a dustbuster/small shop vac to keep the crumbs up so they don't attract ants/roaches. i'm just thinkin' off the top of my head here, lol.

sammielynn
07-29-2008, 10:15 AM
We had a discussion about showers and shower baskets. He put his foot down to a shower basket type thing, must be a guy thing.
I have already bought all types of desk/office stuff.
I am going to buy him a fridge, glad to hear you saying to buy a bigger one. I was on the fence with that. Will get a microwave.
What do you think about a samll drawer safe? Something to keep his checkbook and cash in. Sears and Kmart have several. I always had mine with me but he doesn't carry a purse.

sammielynn
07-29-2008, 10:18 AM
i would think a small refrigerator and a small microwave/hot plate as tricia mentioned would be a necessity, especially for those late-night study sessions when the dining hall is closed. some type of laundry hamper, rolls of quarters for the laundry room, DEFINITELY flip-flops for the shower (i won't even use a hotel shower without them). i'm sure he's got a laptop, but he'll probably need a lock or locking case to keep it safe if he doesn't have one already. if he wants to decorate his dorm room walls, i'm sure there are restrictions, so he might need some command adhesive hooks or something similar that's removable. i know this sounds silly b/c guys aren't into cleaning, but since he'll probably be eating in his room, he may also need a dustbuster/small shop vac to keep the crumbs up so they don't attract ants/roaches. i'm just thinkin' off the top of my head here, lol.

I didn't think about a locking case for his laptop! Might get a bigger safe.

Anna
07-29-2008, 10:43 AM
Gift cards for local fast food restaurants and the grocery store are always nice to have cause a college student is ALWAYS broke and ALWAYS hungry!!!!

Anna
07-29-2008, 10:45 AM
We had a discussion about showers and shower baskets. He put his foot down to a shower basket type thing, must be a guy thing.
I have already bought all types of desk/office stuff.
I am going to buy him a fridge, glad to hear you saying to buy a bigger one. I was on the fence with that. Will get a microwave.
What do you think about a samll drawer safe? Something to keep his checkbook and cash in. Sears and Kmart have several. I always had mine with me but he doesn't carry a purse.

Maybe a mesh bag then like for camping...definitely more manly than the shower basket...that is what my guys use to go to the bathhouse when we camp...just a thought...

m 'n c
07-29-2008, 10:53 AM
Yes he needs a locking cable on that laptop so he can lock to something that doesn't remove from the dorm if that makes sense. Laptops are the #1 thing to get stolen from rooms and if kids are anything like I was almost 10 years ago (eek!) we would leave our doors open while we ran next door or down the hall unattended and would be easy for someone to swipe it in a few seconds.

sammielynn
07-29-2008, 11:03 AM
I just orded a laptop safe
http://www.csnstores.com/Honeywell-Safes-3040D-HNW1033.html

It should be large enough for his laptop, ipod, check book and some cash.

sammielynn
07-29-2008, 11:04 AM
A mesh bag would be a good idea. I run that one by him.

Hedy
07-29-2008, 11:25 AM
Don't know if it's manly, but an egg crate for the mattress was invaluable when I was at college.

Pooh's Pal
07-29-2008, 11:58 AM
I got a huge sturdy laundry bag from my local laundromat, my dd loved it, she dragged that thing up and down the stairs to the laundry room for 4 years.(does have two small holes in it now, time for a new one)
Another great thing was laundry detergent, maybe he'd like the tablets as opposed to the powder/liquid that you have to measure? Check your local grocery store. And quaters if he needs them, just enough to get started with. :)

I bought a small microwave at BJ's and got an Avanti Two Door Compact Refrigerator/Freezer, in black from Compact Appliance dot com(on sale now for 236.00). Just like a real fridge, only 3.1 cubic feet.
Also had to get the Amp Overload Protector from them also. You plug both the fridge and microwave into this little device, so when the microwave is on, this protector automatically shuts off the refrigerator. College required it for safety/fire reasons. She used it all 4 years and will be bringing them back to Grad school in the fall.

Bought some of those under the bed storage boxes with wheels..she used them for sheets and towels.

A must have thing is a GOOD stand fan...it gets really hot in those rooms.

Gift cards, gift cards and more gift cards....bookstore, add to thier dining dollars account and various restaurants and stores like Targets or Walmarts. Can never have enough of those.

And one more thing, if they are allowed to bring a car to campus, get them AAA...ya just never know and my kiddo used it more than once.

Congrats on entering a whole new world now.. :D

SunshineGirl
07-29-2008, 11:59 AM
I just orded a laptop safe
http://www.csnstores.com/Honeywell-Safes-3040D-HNW1033.html

It should be large enough for his laptop, ipod, check book and some cash.

Love, love, love CSN stores! I just bought a coffee table from them last week. And I already see your credit. :)

sunshinecindy
07-29-2008, 12:07 PM
I know that kids now a days all have cell phones, but, a phone card is always good for them to keep on hand in case the cell goes dead or they don't have it for some reason.

Anna
07-29-2008, 12:58 PM
Rolls and rolls of quarters for the laundromat!!! ;)

sammielynn
07-29-2008, 02:28 PM
Love, love, love CSN stores! I just bought a coffee table from them last week. And I already see your credit. :)

Very cool!

I already have sheets, towels, memory foam matress pad(from Overstock), and basic school supplies. I always have a change jar so I'll hook him up with quarters from that. He has a laptop and printer(printer ink from Circuit City, he has a weird printer and they are the only ones that sell the ink), ipod, TV , DVD player. Ordered a hanging toilerty kit from e-bags and laptop safe from CSN. Still working on a fridge, microwave and some type of vacuum. Also need to work on a first aid kit of some type.

Iteach
07-29-2008, 02:43 PM
You're a good Mom Sammilynn!!! I think you and everyone else have thought of everything! My son has been out of college for a few years now, but I can't think of anything else except a box of kleenex for YOU! If you're anything like me, you'll actually need more than one. Good luck!

purdyratt
07-29-2008, 02:54 PM
How about a TV? Some dorms now are more like apartments My neph is in college now and his "dorm" is like an apartment. 3 rooms and a kitchen/living area. It is a newer school though. One note on the fridge..Some schools have regulations on how much watts it can be like the microwave and the fridge. Check with the school so u dont try to put a full size fridge like i did :)

-r

Tiggerific711
07-29-2008, 02:54 PM
You should double check the policy on microwaves. I work at a University in NY and the students here aren't allowed microwaves, toaster ovens or indoor grills. They are allowed to bring pop-up toasters; closed element popcorn poppers; micro-fridge units; thermostatically controlled hot pots & Rice cookers; coffeemakers; and refrigerators.

That being said, when I went to away to college way back when we weren't allowed microwaves either. There was a student that put rabbit ear antennas on his and pretended it was a TV. :rotfl: He got away with it for months too!

m 'n c
07-29-2008, 02:58 PM
I probably wouldn't spend too much on a vaccum. I know my roomies and I rarely used ours and we were girls.

Don't forget a trash can and trash bags. Those will come in handy.

I really don't know what else to suggest. I always over packed and had more than I ever used.

iluvamystery89
07-29-2008, 04:02 PM
You should double check the policy on microwaves. I work at a University in NY and the students here aren't allowed microwaves, toaster ovens or indoor grills. They are allowed to bring pop-up toasters; closed element popcorn poppers; micro-fridge units; thermostatically controlled hot pots & Rice cookers; coffeemakers; and refrigerators.

That being said, when I went to away to college way back when we weren't allowed microwaves either. There was a student that put rabbit ear antennas on his and pretended it was a TV. :rotfl: He got away with it for months too!

if he's not allowed a microwave, a toaster oven would certainly do the job! my grandmother cooks everything from toast to pecan pies in hers, lol. but if he's allowed nothing more than a hot plate, it's better than nothing! perhaps you can check with his roommate's family and one could bring the fridge and the other the microwave (or whatever is allowed) so they don't duplicate and take up more space? it would save some money too!
Lord, i dread DD going off to college...just getting her into 5th grade is costing so much i'm embarrassed to tell y'all. the fees & gym clothes (must be bought at school) alone are $71.00, not including the fee for a gym locker, which i don't know about yet. :headache:

sammielynn
07-29-2008, 04:41 PM
He can have a microwave but no toaster oven. Each college has such strange rules.

Maybe I wll invest in a broom and dustpan instead of a vacuum.

Anna
07-29-2008, 09:09 PM
He can have a microwave but no toaster oven. Each college has such strange rules.

Maybe I wll invest in a broom and dustpan instead of a vacuum.

Now, that is all I would do, because he most likely will only use it when he absolutely HAS to. LOL:rotfl: Afterall, he is a GUY.

sammielynn
07-29-2008, 11:00 PM
Now, that is all I would do, because he most likely will only use it when he absolutely HAS to. LOL:rotfl: Afterall, he is a GUY.

So true:(

sammielynn
08-13-2008, 05:31 PM
Well rats! Ordered a fridge from Sears.com and it arrived today and was damaged. Now I'm back to square one on a fridge. No time to reorder he leaves Saturday.

Belle
08-14-2008, 01:06 AM
Some colleges have fridges that you can rent.

Don't forget to add meds like Tylenol, Tums, sunscreen, etc to the first aide kit.

expandable file folder to keep important papers, records, and receipts

bulletin board or dry erase board

wall calendar

tape recorder for class lectures

flashlight

laundry detergent and laundry basket or bag

travel iron and small ironing board if he will use them

hangers

alarm clock

small rug

desk lamp

garbage can

wall decor

camera

sewing kit if he will use it

How about something special sent from Mom? The Popcorn Factory has their "You've Got Treats" back to school snack box for 1/2 price until 9/30.

Blessing and Miracle
08-14-2008, 02:21 AM
You first need to check to see what is allowed and what's not allowed. A lot of things have changed over the years. My DD19 couldn't have a microwave in the room, but the school furnished one in the kitenette area of the room. Also, you need to make sure that a large fridge will fit. The one we had for DD didn't. For sure, cleaning products and bug spray!!!!! When DD went off to a school in Baton Rouge, they had roaches (she came home the next day they were so bad) and the school in Huntsville, Texas had ants!! So make sure he has bug spray.

A small first aid kit. A flashlight with extra batteries. Oh, and please don't forget to get some extra extension cords. Also we purchased a trunk that came with a deadbolt lock and key for DD to lock up her important stuff. Tacky tape, bins, thumb tacks, I recycle my plastic grocery bags, so she took a lot of those for trash liners. Oh, and definitely a small or large rug to fit alongside of his bed and please don't forget the bed liner! We also purchased some bed lifters (very inexpensive) so that he bed would be high enough to store trunks and stuff underneath. They really came in handy.

HTH!

I'll add more as I think about it. We're gonna replenish DD's necessities this weekend as she leaves on the 20th.

Take your camera along so you can capture the moment!:)

Ellen aka Snow White
08-14-2008, 06:47 AM
WOW! You guys think of everything! My DD is headed back for her second year - one of the civic org. at her university rents bed lofts - both her and her roommate took advantage of this and basically had all their floor space. A first aid kit with just the basics is an absolute! They do have a medical facility on campus, but no so handy in the middle of the night when you need that tylenol. As far as the shower - there is a store (not sure if they are a merchant???) that sells mesh shower caddies. When we go camping that is what we see all the guys using. It is tall and holds a lot - but also stands up on its on. One other thing that came in handy was over the door hooks - they used these on the closet doors and added lots of space - especially in the winter with their big coats. Good luck!
Ellen

ETA: I don't see the store as a merchant, if allowed, you can PM me and I will let you know the store.

sammielynn
08-14-2008, 07:05 AM
I have most everything you have on your list. I don't have bug spray, but bugs are not as much of a problem in East Tennessee as in Texax an LA. He would not hear of a shower caddy, so I found a hanging shave kit at Ebags, I bought bed risers but he might loft the beds, I didn't even think about taking a camera better check the batteries, got a laptop safe that will hold some other things, first aid kit is ready, he has several flashlights better pack one, I want to get him a rug but he said no. I'm about to stress out but he has done nothing to get ready. Times like these make me wish I had a daughter.

Blessing and Miracle
08-14-2008, 01:40 PM
I have most everything you have on your list. I don't have bug spray, but bugs are not as much of a problem in East Tennessee as in Texax an LA. He would not hear of a shower caddy, so I found a hanging shave kit at Ebags, I bought bed risers but he might loft the beds, I didn't even think about taking a camera better check the batteries, got a laptop safe that will hold some other things, first aid kit is ready, he has several flashlights better pack one, I want to get him a rug but he said no. I'm about to stress out but he has done nothing to get ready. Times like these make me wish I had a daughter.

Sorry.:( Both my DS could care less as to what I purchased for them when they went away to college. Whatever I bought, they used!!!! Matter fact, they didn't even know what they had until we were in the dorm unpacking.
Now DD was more proactive. We did all of her dorm shopping together.

Hope everything works out!:)