PDA

View Full Version : Future Planning - help from moms

bbangel
08-07-2008, 06:33 PM
Since my October trip is basically all planned I needed something to do, so I'm planning my trip in May 2010.

I will be going with my best friend, her DH and her daughter who will be 5. We would like to do a couple of sit down meals, but will be on a bit of a dining budget. Any recommendations for places a picky man and a 5 year old would both like? I was thinking dinner at 1900 Park Fair for a princess meal (not sure of the menu at Askershus and don't really want to pay for the castle). Any other suggestions?

Has anyone heard of a tea party with Alice? If so what can you tell me about it?

For those who have gone with kids that are around 5, is there anything we should know, be prepared for, make sure we see?

Blessing and Miracle
08-07-2008, 06:48 PM
LOL. I don't have much advice, but I had to laugh at- You needing something to do. Wanna come over here?:D

Seriously, have fun planning. Although, we've gone a couple of times since the twins were born, we never did any of the dining so I can't be any help.

bbangel
08-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Oh I have work to do, but needed some Disney planning with which to fill my time while procrastinating doing all the work I have to do :rotfl:

Blessing and Miracle
08-07-2008, 07:13 PM
Oh I have work to do, but needed some Disney planning with which to fill my time while procrastinating doing all the work I have to do :rotfl:

:rotfl: Gotcha!

jl8595
08-07-2008, 07:20 PM
Crystal Palace, Chef Mickey, 1900 PF, 50's Prime Time and O'Hana are all popular with my DD's. Maybe aim for lunch ressie's to catch a break on the cost.

As for tips for bringing a 5 yr old...we brought my oldest for the first time when she was 5 and our rookie mistake was not predicting the need for a stroller for her (since she hadn't used one in years...just didn't occur to us). The poor kid collapsed in AK at the end of day 2. So...I'd be sure to either bring a stroller or plan to rent one at the park.

bbangel
08-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Crystal Palace, Chef Mickey, 1900 PF, 50's Prime Time and O'Hana are all popular with my DD's. Maybe aim for lunch ressie's to catch a break on the cost.

As for tips for bringing a 5 yr old...we brought my oldest for the first time when she was 5 and our rookie mistake was not predicting the need for a stroller for her (since she hadn't used one in years...just didn't occur to us). The poor kid collapsed in AK at the end of day 2. So...I'd be sure to either bring a stroller or plan to rent one at the park.

Good tip about the stroller!

I think the picky dad in this case would have a fit if we tried Chef Mickey's. I like the idea of lunch at 50's Primetime.

Anyone every eaten breakfast at Cape May?

tinkerbell81
08-07-2008, 08:17 PM
I had to laugh....I know what you mean about needing another trip to plan once you finish planning your current trip....I was the same way when we returnd in June. How about Hollywood and Vine @ DHS...my DD's really enjoyed the breakfast there with the Playhouse Disney Characters. 1900 Park Fare would be a must as would Crystal Palace. If you have picky eaters I would stick to the buffets...my DD's and DH (who are all picky) ate much better at the buffets and enjoyed the variety of food.

tinkerbell81
08-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Another tip...take advantage of the Morning EMH especially at the MK. My DD's were able to ride so many rides with little or no wait during that one hour window, especially in FantasyLand which I am sure she will be very interested in at the age of 5.

llgray16
08-07-2008, 10:30 PM
I think one of the best things you can do is an early breakfast at Crystal Palace. It is a great breakfast (with Pooh & friends) but one of the best things is walking down a nearly empty Main St.! It is truly magical. It is one of our must-do's every trip!!!

askomsky
08-07-2008, 10:33 PM
I second the Chef Mickey and stroller. We choose not to take one as DD4.5 hadn't used on in a year. Day 4 she was wiped out and the minute we parked the car to go on the tram car she would cry bc she knew what she was in store for. The other 2 whined but were ok for the most part. What we learned though was that it probably was enough for all of them and we knew when to quit. It was nice not having to deal with the stroller that's for sure. Also DD had just turned 4 a week before so they were just 4, just 5 and 8.5

kerry34
08-12-2008, 12:36 PM
I have heard positive things about Crystal Palace. We were supposed to go during our trip in 07, but the monorail broke down and we missed our ADR. I am shooting for the next trip to try it.

nicholfamily5
08-13-2008, 01:57 PM
My daughter was almost five last year when we went.
My biggest piece of advice is to pay close attention to the little one. The parks are just so huge, with soooo much going on , that they tire a lot faster than they normally would. We took a break every day, and spent quiet time in the room, and a little pool time. It really made a difference in how everyone was able to enjoy themselves.

Also, if taking a break doesn't work well with your plans, try to schedule a sit down lunch rather than a grab and go. If you have a leisurely lunch , everyone can cool down and relax for a bit, which is better than nothing.

another trick of mine was to buy disney toys and glow items before we left home. I raided the disney stores during sales, bought tshirts and those flashing light toys for dollars a piece. I also came across party packs of glow necklaces, bracelets and earrings at a discount store. I got entire packages for $2, where the necklaces alone at WDW are 2-3 times that. It's a huge meltdown saver when the kids want something and you can whip it out of your bag!

Enjoy your trip!

bbangel
08-13-2008, 02:56 PM
Good advice. Current plan is to take breaks and maybe do one lunch.

Going to wait and see on the stroller issue. Don't want to get her one unless we see she is really getting tired of all the walking. Planning to do a kid friendly pace with lots of shows and stuff.

She isn't an "I want that" kid yet, but will probably get a few things before hand to keep her happy. I already have a stuffed Minnie for her to take :)

We are probably going to add a couple of nights at Universal as there are a few things we all want to see there. (I heard all of your gasps!) We are also hoping that Harry Potter's land will be open by then. Anyone have tips for surviving the parks at Universal?

mdapiggy
08-13-2008, 02:57 PM
My DS is 5 and when he talks about his favorite things at Mickey World he loves the playgrounds. Sometimes we forget that little kids still just like to run around and have fun. He really likes the Pooh Park as he calls it across for the Pooh ride in Disney. We usually try to let the little ones run around in the playground areas while we sit and rest and have a drink or ice cream. So you may want to check out where the playgrounds are in each of the parks.

3dog2kidmom
08-23-2008, 09:29 AM
I think one of the best things you can do is an early breakfast at Crystal Palace. It is a great breakfast (with Pooh & friends) but one of the best things is walking down a nearly empty Main St.! It is truly magical. It is one of our must-do's every trip!!!

Thanks for the suggestion, Lynn. I just called and booked Crystal Palace for 8:05 am on the MK day of our January trip. The park doesn't open till 9 so we will get that experience. I cannot wait!!

We've been there for dinner but love the idea of an empty Main Street. What time do they let you in?