PDA

View Full Version : DVC Hilton Head Delimma

Anna
08-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Hey guys...we have a DVC ressie (our first) for Hilton Head for Thursday, September 11 - Monday, September 14. The problem is not wanting to have the kids out of school too much since this is a new school for us. Friday is a 1/2 day anyway, but Monday would be a full day out.

Would it be worth the trip and the drive to leave after school or pick up early on Thursday have a 6 hour drive to get there then leave on Sunday? For those of you who have been there...tell me what you think.

I hate to cancel because from what I understand the points go into a holding account and expire ??? when? Not sure on that one. The end of this year? Cannot use DVC for our December trip because it is all booked up.

Any thoughts or suggestiosn?:confused:

piglet-for-me
08-15-2008, 07:40 AM
That's a tough one.

We're 1000 miles from Hilton Head so when we go, staying a week hardly feels like enough time.

If you left after school on Thursday and drove right down, it would give you a full day Friday & Saturday. Depending on what time you want to get home on Sunday, you may be able to do something Sunday morning as well.

I understand that your concerned about minimizing the number of days off the kids have but would it be an option for them to miss Thursday's 1/2 day of school instead of a full day on Monday. Would that make it any better. Maybe if that would work for you, you could call and see about switching your reservation from Sunday night to the previous Wednesday night and head out late on Wednesday?

As for whether I would go for a long weekend, if I lived 6 hours from the resort, I'd jump at the chance. Although you may not be able to totally unwind, I'd venture to guess that you would relax.

I know your kids are about the same age as mine and my kids love Hilton Head. My kids would pick that as their only vacation destination - in fact, they did this year. They look forward to it every year and start planning for the next trip as soon as the current one is over. I'm sure there are some people that don't care for HH, but it's one of our favorites.

Good luck making the decision which is best for all of you!

Anna
08-20-2008, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the information...sigh...wish we just had more time or a Fall break....I know I will like it. Any R and R is fine with me.