PDA

View Full Version : Just changed 2 of our ADRs...did I do the right thing??

Magical JenK
07-09-2007, 11:33 AM
Like many of us (:hugs: ) I'm a planner. I like to plan. If I'm done planning, I must come up w/something new to plan. For example, I had ALL our ADRs done in April at 180 days. I changed just a few later in April....then it was time to plan the Surprise for DH well, now that DH knows about the Surprise Trip :love: I had nothing else to plan.

So....I started looking at our ADRs & wanted to change a couple to some restaurants we haven't tried yet. Did my research (menus, reviews, etc), talked it over w/DH & called today....but now I'm wondering something...

What I had:
Fantasmic package at Momma Melrose
Kona Cafe

What I changed to
50s Prime Time Cafe
'Ohana

I'm very happy w/the 'Ohana choice & think we will really like it. I really liked Kona last year, but DH just thought it was ok, so I thought...well let's change it.

We both LOVE Momma Melrose, but the ADR was for 440pm. We figured, while the reserved seating for Fantasmic was nice, it wasn't really necessary as we wouldn't mind trying to find a place to sit elsewhere. I was really hoping to get something later...I thought I had read that the restaurants did serve after Fantasmic...but maybe not the time of year we're going??...anyway...the ONLY time they had available for 50s was 4pm!!!! I took it hoping for something else to open, but I was just wondering your thoughts...

Do the restaurants at MGM stay open after Fantasmic (in September)? What do you all think of 50s Prime Time? It seems fun & a nice "homestyle" meal?? Also, my non-worry ('Ohana) please feel free to share your thoughts on that too.

Thanks
Jen

bbangel
07-09-2007, 11:39 AM
Haven't been to O'hana but 50's was a good meal. They serve very large portions of good homestyle food. We really got into the spirit with our Aunt and the visiting cousins in our kitchen. If you go with a sense of fun I think you can have a great experience. If you aren't keen on someone airplaning you your vegetables to make you eat them it may not be for you :rotfl:

kimntrent
07-09-2007, 11:53 AM
I would go to Kona over O'hana in a country second. O'Hana isn't my favorite. Not after they got rid of the shrimp skewers.
________
****stube (http://www.****tube.com/)

luvdisney00
07-09-2007, 03:14 PM
Jen,
We are leaving in the morning and will be doing both 50's and Ohana. I will give you the lowdown when I get back. I really wanted to do the fantasmic dinner pkg. but DD 12 INSISTED that we go to 50's. She heard some of her friends talking about it and now she HAS to go...LOL We've never been to Ohana, but it looks like fun. I promise to let you know!

Mom2aPrincess
07-09-2007, 07:58 PM
Haven't been to 50s, but LOVE Ohana's!!!!

We are doing two fantasmic packages in December, but my daughter is young and December is SOOO busy that I knew she wouldn't have the patience for the lines for fantasmic and it's her favorite night time show/fireworks/etc!!

3dog2kidmom
07-09-2007, 09:35 PM
Like many of us (:hugs: ) I'm a planner. I like to plan. If I'm done planning, I must come up w/something new to plan. For example, I had ALL our ADRs done in April at 180 days. I changed just a few later in April....then it was time to plan the Surprise for DH well, now that DH knows about the Surprise Trip :love: I had nothing else to plan.

So....I started looking at our ADRs & wanted to change a couple to some restaurants we haven't tried yet. Did my research (menus, reviews, etc), talked it over w/DH & called today....but now I'm wondering something...

What I had:
Fantasmic package at Momma Melrose
Kona Cafe

What I changed to
50s Prime Time Cafe
'Ohana

I'm very happy w/the 'Ohana choice & think we will really like it. I really liked Kona last year, but DH just thought it was ok, so I thought...well let's change it.

We both LOVE Momma Melrose, but the ADR was for 440pm. We figured, while the reserved seating for Fantasmic was nice, it wasn't really necessary as we wouldn't mind trying to find a place to sit elsewhere. I was really hoping to get something later...I thought I had read that the restaurants did serve after Fantasmic...but maybe not the time of year we're going??...anyway...the ONLY time they had available for 50s was 4pm!!!! I took it hoping for something else to open, but I was just wondering your thoughts...

Do the restaurants at MGM stay open after Fantasmic (in September)? What do you all think of 50s Prime Time? It seems fun & a nice "homestyle" meal?? Also, my non-worry ('Ohana) please feel free to share your thoughts on that too.

Thanks
Jen

Jen, you inspired me to obsess over my own ADRs for January since I can't book my package yet, LOL! For what it's worth, we LOVED Mama Melrose. I know Prime Time gets good reviews, but there is nothing about that restaurant that I find appealing. If I want meatloaf or home cookin' I can go to MILs. And I don't like the antics they talk about. But that's just my personal taste -- I really wish there were more TS options at MGM. I think next time we'll do a late breakfast at Cape May a snack for lunch and a CS for dinner.

I do however LOVE 'Ohana and hope you enjoy it as much as our family did.

m 'n c
07-09-2007, 10:54 PM
We went to 50s Prime Time last sept and had a horrid waiter. He wouldn't play his part and it was so disappointing. But the food was good and very large portions. You shouldn't need the fantasmic reserved seats if you go to the 2nd one of the night.

Magical JenK
07-09-2007, 11:27 PM
M'nC- When we go there is only the one show! :( I know I'm worrying about something stupid but most of our ADRs are after 830pm to make best use of our days in the park & to allow vacay sleeping in of course! So eating dinner at 400 is just so out of our norm!! :)

I'll probably call again & see if I can get something just a little later...but the 4pm may work out for us anyway....eat at 4...figure about 2 hours for dinner...then we'll be STUFFED & will need to walk around (no TOT just yet). Then maybe we could do a ride or two before we go into the theater around 8 to save our non-Fantasmic dinner package seats!!

We do both love Momma's but I wanted to try something else...I do have one other ADR (at Concourse) that I'd be willing to change out, so maybe we could don Momma's another night still??

And while DH did get a kick out of WCC & the "antics" the servers did there, I don't know how thrilled he'd be to be airplaned his veggies he he he. He does seem to attract characters to get him to get into the magic because he can look pretty intimidating at times, but he has a great sense of humor & LOVES the magic so I guess I'll make sure to eat his veggies to make everything even more magical for him! :0)

I'm excited about 'Ohana though! Poly is my dream resort so just being there is fun for me!

Thanks everyone for your advice & insights!

And Shelly-I'm sorry I started a new obession for you! But isn't it fun to plan something always?! :0)

3dog2kidmom
07-10-2007, 09:57 PM
OK girl... I have a draft of mine posted now for your critique :) Thanks!

The Cheshire Cat
07-11-2007, 09:32 PM
Hey JenK,

We did 50's Prime and didn't think it was anything great. We didn't have a fun waiter - no humor at all and food was just ok - - - - - - - I'm sure you'll get many different opionins.

We loved Sci-fi. I grew up doing A&W rootbeer drive-in's and just loved this place - reminded me of growing up.

The only other place we ate in MGM was lunch with the Einestines and I doubt your interested in that review -lol

O'hana is fabulous - I love it so much we are doing a breakfast and dinner on this trip. You cannot go wrong. The food is yummy! Save a bit of your reward money for a Lapu Lapu drink - it's served in a pineapple and is probably the best drink on the planet!:sunshine:

We'll be in Disney alittle less then a month!

3dog2kidmom
07-11-2007, 09:33 PM
Save a bit of your reward money for a Lapu Lapu drink - it's served in a pineapple and is probably the best drink on the planet!:sunshine:

I second that!!!