PDA

View Full Version : Privacy Matters

tcarr5
05-05-2007, 08:51 PM
I signed up with this last night using a prepaid card. supposed to be $1 ...looked at my simon.com card balance and they charged $16 :mad: oh I can't wait for these people to open...i'm mad as he** now :mad: has this happened to anyone else????

Alice28
05-05-2007, 09:57 PM
no, but WATCH OUT with this one.

I got something like 16 hits on my credit report when I did privacy matters thru m******* last December or so. Meaning, 16 times was my credit report opened and looked at within a few weeks of doing this offer. :mad:

Which meant, seriously, my credit score went from something like 840 to 680. I'm not exaggerating or kidding, or trying to be dramatic. I just had to write a letter to our lender (we are buying a house) of WHY I had so many people look at my freaking credit in December. That and beware of any sort of Lending Tree offer; I did that one a month later and I got another bunch of hits. I was sooooo mad at myself for doing these silly things for a few bucks and took a major hit on my previously 'perfect' credit score.

I also thought I canceled with Privacy matters and gee, I got charged 2 months later the $16. I called and they were unable to confirm I canceled it, confirmation # and everything. So i had to cancel AGAIN, and then I still had them looking into my darn credit as she said it takes 2 months to get off their monitoring list.
:mad:

And that is my .02 with Privacymatters. Probably my most unhappy experience ever with either SR or m*******.

tcarr5
05-05-2007, 10:10 PM
great :( :headache: I never received any type of email confirmation either. I hope they're open tomorrow I am sooo freakin livid right now, they DO NOT want to mess with ME :mad:

thanks for the warning ;)

SunshineGirl
05-06-2007, 08:32 AM
Thanks for letting me know about this. I pulled them off the site. It's not worth it to me either to make a few bucks off of someone if they are going to take a big hit on their credit report.

rhiannonwales
05-06-2007, 11:01 AM
Thats strange that privacy matters did that... soft inqueries (inquries that are executed either by you or on you behalf by another company) arent supposed to hit your report. I have done many of the credit report offers, and i actually have monthly monitoring through my credit card and never once have the soft inquires shown up or changed my score.
Lending tree will show up since its no different that applying for a mortgage or CC.
There are many companies who do open your account to preselect you for credt.Do you know for a fact that it was privacy matters? I f you call the major bureaus they can tell you exactly who opend your account and when.
Good Luck!

Alice28
05-06-2007, 11:42 AM
I am fairly positive it was privacy matters, because I couldn't think of any other credit related thing I had done that month. I didn't open any credit cards, loans, etc that month and that's when I got a bunch of hits. Then in Jan I did a Lending Tree one, and got a bunch more hits then. But that one I expected because we were looking into an equity line to remodel our house...I wanted to see what we could get. Then we decided to just buy a new house instead of remodeling and when our credit report came up with the lending company, I had a ton of hits in Dec & Jan. :(

It was just so frustrating- the actual offers credited quickly (I think they may have both been m*******, can't remember now) so that wasn't the issue at all. I just wanted to let others know what happened to me, and the fact that Privacy Matters did not cancel my account the first time I called to do it, and continued to charge my card.

One offer that was worth the inquiry on my credit report was the Hilton Amex offer- I did it last summer or fall I believe and it's been a nice credit card to have/use.

jollytammy
05-06-2007, 01:51 PM
I did an offer yesterday using a simon prepaid card, and I was charged $16.00, when the offer was $1.00. Wasn't privacy matters.

I wonder if it is a simon problem? When I called to ask about the charge at the place, they couldn't find a record of it and were as confused as I was by the $16.00 charge since even the subscription price was $19.95.

Maybe simon is having problems on their end?:confused:
I think I'll give them a call tomorrow
Tammy

azgal81
05-06-2007, 02:20 PM
I did an offer yesterday using a simon prepaid card, and I was charged $16.00, when the offer was $1.00. Wasn't privacy matters.

I wonder if it is a simon problem? When I called to ask about the charge at the place, they couldn't find a record of it and were as confused as I was by the $16.00 charge since even the subscription price was $19.95.

Maybe simon is having problems on their end?:confused:
I think I'll give them a call tomorrow
Tammy

Some companies will charge the card $16 to make sure you have money on it. With a regular credit card you never see the charge but with a prepaid card it posts instantly and should drop off in a week or so. This has happened to me before when I signed up for at home rewards and this is what they told me I'm still waiting for the charge to drop off.

jollytammy
05-06-2007, 03:10 PM
Thank you!!! Next time I'll be expecting it.

Wendi63
05-06-2007, 07:29 PM
This happened to me this weekend with at home rewards. I used the simon card and it has charged me $16.00 TWICE. I am also pretty upset about this since I am fairly new to this rewards program. I have also not received any email or anything from them. I called the number listed on the simon card beside the $16.00 charges and they have no record of them at all. They told me to make a copy of the charges and fax it to their consumer affairs department. I guess I will see if I ever get the $32.00 back.

Wendi

jollytammy
05-07-2007, 07:54 AM
Yes, that's what I was told, only it was Today's escape--I think they're "related". I got an error message saying they couldn't process my transaction.
The biggest "problem" was that it used up what was left on the card, so I have to wait on doing some more offers. :angel: It is very, very addictive to see that balance go up, up, up!!!!:cooldance:

Next time I'll be prepared.
Tammy