PDA

View Full Version : Picture.com

Preciouscn
07-27-2007, 01:55 PM
Ok, so I did the offer and submited a picture and got the credit. Today I go get my mail and there is a letter from picture.com that my picture has been selected to be part of a book. The book's working title is Endless JOurneys and I am in no obligation to buy a copy to have my picture in the book but if I want to buy the book it is $69.95.

Have anyone gotten one a letter like this?

Also, I am semi finalist for the Fall 2007 contest

jnorth1007
07-27-2007, 01:56 PM
we all have LOL

jl8595
07-27-2007, 02:16 PM
Yup, I got the same letter! I'm guessing they have a TON of "semi-finalists"...it's almost like saying I'm a "semi-finalist" for the Prize Patrol!! :rotfl:

mollyeilis
07-27-2007, 02:24 PM
Yeppers, everybody wins and gets email and letters...I tried to let everyone know that would happen when picture.com first was offered here... :) It goes on for AGES, too... At some point they'll let you know of their big show in Vegas, and do you want THAT book too...etc etc etc...

Mom2aPrincess
07-27-2007, 03:55 PM
:rotfl: How funny. They do the same thing to teenagers around here for awards like "Who's Who Among American High School Students."

mollyeilis
07-27-2007, 03:58 PM
That's exactly what it reminded me of. I remember those letters way back when I graduated HS, and some of my AP-class-taking friends bought them, thinking it actually meant something...my mom and I thought they were nutty for paying someone to print their name in a book! Alas I never did ask them to compare the books...see if MY name was in their book (you know, since I got the offer to buy the book my name was printed in), or if it truly was something where you got your name in it only if you bought it. :)

Anna
07-27-2007, 04:49 PM
Yes, I got the same letter. And here I actually thought I had really won. Everyone must get the same letter. Guess that is how they make their money by selling their quarterly hardback books. Sigh....I never win anything and so this proves it. :(

That letter really made me believe my photo had been chosen. How many others have received this letter after submitting your photo?? :computer:

It will be interesting to see how many received this letter.

chrissylou2
07-27-2007, 04:57 PM
I got one too!! I was one of the believers too but came here and saw that everyone else got one too and new it was just a ploy to get money!!!

Chrissy

mollyeilis
07-27-2007, 04:59 PM
The reason why I knew instantly that it was bogus is because although the picture I submitted looked cute on my dark monitor, when I saw it printed, I realized that my husband was half-naked in the background! He was walking from the bathroom without his shirt on (and, sorry DH, he doesn't have abs of steel in any way, shape, or form) and was in the background just enough to be seen.

I knew there was NO WAY that picture could have won anything, even though DS was absolutely adoreable in the foreground, so I never thought Id' truly "won" for a second.

SunshineGirl
07-27-2007, 05:05 PM
The reason why I knew instantly that it was bogus is because although the picture I submitted looked cute on my dark monitor, when I saw it printed, I realized that my husband was half-naked in the background! He was walking from the bathroom without his shirt on (and, sorry DH, he doesn't have abs of steel in any way, shape, or form) and was in the background just enough to be seen.

I knew there was NO WAY that picture could have won anything, even though DS was absolutely adoreable in the foreground, so I never thought Id' truly "won" for a second.

HAAAAAAAAA!!!! That is just about one of the funniest things that I have ever heard.

ChickiePants
07-27-2007, 09:07 PM
Yup, I got that letter too. Want to see my "award-winning" photo?

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1243/538067009_98c2d23e89_m.jpg

I call it "Chicken With a Crazy Hairdo!" And can you believe, it really won! :D

mjjmbnmm
07-27-2007, 11:15 PM
the one about the husband is to funny

chipndale
07-27-2007, 11:35 PM
Love the picture that won. And it is too funny about the husband in the background :rotfl: I guess any picture is a winner.

Anna
07-28-2007, 01:32 AM

That is just TOO FUNNY! LOL! My husband would MURDER me! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

lilianddomsmom
07-28-2007, 03:11 AM

that is too funny:rotfl:

mollyeilis
07-28-2007, 12:12 PM
Yeah, he was pretty mortified.

But it taught me a photography lesson: ALWAYS pay attention to the background!

dawgsgirl
07-28-2007, 07:54 PM
I got one of those letters too and thought it was pretty weird. My pix aren't that good. But it was one of Thunder Mountain! Then I saw the offer to buy the book and knew the scam!

ShanPooh
07-30-2007, 02:11 AM
I got the letter, too.
When I entered, I thought it was going to be something like that.
But it was fun and easy to do.
The photo file is too big so share, but it was of a Buddhist temple in Guangzhou (Canton), China. I took the photo almost from the ground, so the temple looks really tall.

mollyeilis
07-30-2007, 02:36 AM
That picture sounds amazing. Can you post the link to it?

wdwabby
07-30-2007, 08:51 AM
Yeah, I got the super awesome letter too

I thought the same as Molly though, I got the same letters for Who's Who of America's High School Students and Who's Who of America's College Students so I knew it was in the same vein of thought.

But here's my winning photo!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/abbybeth/Zoe/IMG_0857-1.jpg

My angelic kitten, Zoƫ

lyzziesmom
08-16-2007, 11:33 AM
That kitten picture is too cute! Yeah, everyone who submits a photo gets a letter. And even though they say you have "no obligation" to buy, once you submit your information they will send you more & more crap pressuring you to buy, and before you know if there IS an obligation to buy if you want your photo printed. It's exactly the same as the National Library of Poetry, which is now poetry.com.

I got one of those Who's Who letters a couple years ago, it was Who's Who of Women in Business and it kept referring to my amazing accomplishments and great industry-wide success... I'm a receptionist! Seriously, a six-year-old could do this job.

I keep getting more emails from the photo "contest" too telling me I'm a semifinalist, and then a finalist. If you notice, they never tell you a publication date of the book and if you think of it, have you ever seen one of their books (or the poetry ones) in a bookstore or library? Nobody else buys these books - IF they even exist - other than the people who are scammed into them!

mollyeilis
08-16-2007, 02:50 PM
I got one of those Who's Who letters a couple years ago, it was Who's Who of Women in Business and it kept referring to my amazing accomplishments and great industry-wide success... I'm a receptionist! Seriously, a six-year-old could do this job.

You crack me up. That said, I filled in for my old company's receptionist a few times, and it's HARD! Don't sell yourself short, not everyone can do it. And take it from one...a BAD receptionist can really mess up an office! :blush:

bs4free
08-20-2007, 02:29 PM
I just got a letter in the mail today asking me if i wanted to buy my copy lol

this was my entry
http://picture.com/pics2/web/2303281.jpg
Grass by Bryan Spencer
Category: Nature
Copyright©2007

I have not paid 10cents to get this printed on a 4x6, but i should buy a book that will not be printed untill winter 2008 15 months away for 69.99 +9S&H and extra $25 if i want it in a specail edition too!

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

faithhope
08-20-2007, 02:39 PM
Bryan I love your picture!!
I want to have a big version of that picture framed and hung in my house
:rotfl:
and to think I actually wasted time trying to pick out a "good" picture when I could have sent one of my thumb.
Faith

bs4free
08-20-2007, 02:42 PM
Bryan I love your picture!!
I want to have a big version of that picture framed and hung in my house
and to think I actually wasted time trying to pick out a "good" picture when I could have sent one of my thumb.
Faith

Yeah, I have no idea why i took this shoot or why i still had it but i thought it was creative and artist :rotfl: So i entered it! i did get that free thumbnail print! So i guess now i have a printed copy! LOL

So what did you enter?

m 'n c
08-20-2007, 02:43 PM
I got that letter a while ago and I sent in the thing telling them they could print my photo but I'm not buying the book. Then I got the Vegas convention letter and knew what was up. I will say I do have all 4 of my Who's Who from HS. My mom was definetly a sucker for that letter.

I need to find my winning pic and share with all of you other winners on here.

mollyeilis
08-20-2007, 02:45 PM
Bryan, that is stunning. Definitely an award winner. :)

(actually if it were in a series, it would be really cool)

bs4free
08-20-2007, 02:46 PM
I got that letter a while ago and I sent in the thing telling them they could print my photo but I'm not buying the book. Then I got the Vegas convention letter and knew what was up. I will say I do have all 4 of my Who's Who from HS. My mom was definetly a sucker for that letter.

I need to find my winning pic and share with all of you other winners on here.

If you go to picture.com can can search by the first and last name you gave them! should not be to hard unless your name is Tom Smith!

Bryan, that is stunning. Definitely an award winner. :)

(actually if it were in a series, it would be really cool)

You want a series, hum what to call it Bad Lawns 101 The Photo Guide!

mollyeilis
08-20-2007, 02:53 PM
OH my gosh, they still have the "half-nekky-hubby-in-background" picture up that I submitted long before SR, when I entered through snapfish... :rotfl:

Oh, and it would be a sort of cool, "watch the grass grow" sort of series.

bs4free
08-20-2007, 02:59 PM
OH my gosh, they still have the "half-nekky-hubby-in-background" picture up that I submitted long before SR, when I entered through snapfish... :rotfl:

Oh, and it would be a sort of cool, "watch the grass grow" sort of series.

Do you have img or linky for your strange entry:rotfl:

"How your grass grows vol. 1 the death of grass"

m 'n c
08-20-2007, 03:04 PM
Well I should have checked for a reply before I booted up the desktop to retrieve the photo.

Here's my "winner"
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/lsubatgirl/sleepingkitty2.jpg

bs4free
08-20-2007, 03:14 PM
Well I should have checked for a reply before I booted up the desktop to retrieve the photo.

Here's my "winner"
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/lsubatgirl/sleepingkitty2.jpg

Sorry you had to boot it up!

Nice photo That is a Winner! I must have gotten 2nd place!

mollyeilis
08-20-2007, 03:28 PM
Sadly, I have zero permission to post it. I was taking a pic of our son when he was itsy, and he was making a crazy little face. While snapping said pic, I didn't realize that hubby was walking by, without a shirt on.

If hubby looked like, oh, Matthew McConauhey (spelling?) without a shirt, I'd have permission to post it. Alas, he's more like the guy from King of Queens, and no permission is forthcoming.

I didn't even notice him in the background until well after I submitted it to picture.com...we were both very embarrassed.

m 'n c, I love that picture! I would have loved to see something like that on my trips to N.O.

bs4free
08-20-2007, 03:30 PM
Sadly, I have zero permission to post it. I was taking a pic of our son when he was itsy, and he was making a crazy little face. While snapping said pic, I didn't realize that hubby was walking by, without a shirt on.

If hubby looked like, oh, Matthew McConauhey (spelling?) without a shirt, I'd have permission to post it. Alas, he's more like the guy from King of Queens, and no permission is forthcoming.

I didn't even notice him in the background until well after I submitted it to picture.com...we were both very embarrassed.

m 'n c, I love that picture! I would have loved to see something like that on my trips to N.O.

Humm Mabey i can search on Picture.com to find it i am sure i would only need look at about 1,000,000,000,000 photos!

Well the good news is he had pants on right!:rotfl:

And whats wrong with the king of queens guy anyway, or were you refering to his FIL :rotfl:

mollyeilis
08-20-2007, 03:32 PM
Nothing *wrong* with him, he's just not into showing off his chest and belly online. :)

Honestly I'm not sure of the pants situation, but the picture was only belly-up. Cutie pic of the boy, though...someday I'll do something with the picture to blacken out the background, so I can show it to people.

bs4free
08-20-2007, 03:34 PM
Nothing *wrong* with him, he's just not into showing off his chest and belly online. :)

Honestly I'm not sure of the pants situation, but the picture was only belly-up. Cutie pic of the boy, though...someday I'll do something with the picture to blacken out the background, so I can show it to people.

Well since you dont remember i guess it is good it was only belly up then or well that would have been the Winner for sure on Picture.com!

faithhope
08-30-2007, 03:18 PM
did anyone get a rejection from picture.com?
I sent in what I thought was a good picture of my cat eyeing the fish... I really like this picture (not like it was a picture of grass or anything)... I did picture.com a while ago...can't even remember when... and heard nothing from them... but I did get credit... and now out of the blue they reject my picture?? I'm so hurt:cry:

Faith

mollyeilis
08-30-2007, 03:24 PM
Oh my goodness, how rude of them!

I'd like to see that picture!

bs4free
08-30-2007, 03:30 PM
did anyone get a rejection from picture.com?
I sent in what I thought was a good picture of my cat eyeing the fish... I really like this picture (not like it was a picture of grass or anything)... I did picture.com a while ago...can't even remember when... and heard nothing from them... but I did get credit... and now out of the blue they reject my picture?? I'm so hurt:cry:

Faith

Faith are you makeing fun of my grass photo????

Nope no rejection, they did try to get me to buy some book!

If i remember triac said they tried skiping out on 60 peoples credits!!!!

SoonerGirl
08-30-2007, 08:01 PM
I'm glad to see everyone else got the same letter! Mine was of my nephew bright red and screaming in the snow - it was completely not cute.