PDA

View Full Version : Disney Gift Card Specials

SunshineGirl
10-16-2008, 03:26 PM
I am sad to announce that we may no longer be able to order our Disney Gift Cards in bulk. I just got a call from Disney saying that they are not going to be doing any more bulk sales to rewards sites. :( I'm very sad by this because the end result is that a lot of Disney fans will miss out.

We can continue to order gift cards through the Disney Shopping site. However, we are temporarily on hold from doing any bulk orders. They are working through some legal issues, but I am not optimisitic. The reality is that we finally got big enough that they started to notice us.

I wish that it didn't have to be this way, but I am guessing that Disney is dealing with some economic decisions of its own and is making some hard choices.

Hedy
10-16-2008, 03:28 PM
:cry::cry::cry:
As always, I appreciate everything you and your employees do for us to run such a great program.

kimntrent
10-16-2008, 03:29 PM
I would be okay to do cash outs for not a discount even for super members. Are you able to purchase them through the store? That is just horrible. I have heard some things about Disney from my chef friend. The outcome isn't pretty. We appreciate all your support.

SunshineGirl
10-16-2008, 03:31 PM
I would be okay to do cash outs for not a discount even for super members. Are you able to purchase them through the store? That is just horrible. I have heard some things about Disney from my chef friend. The outcome isn't pretty. We appreciate all your support.

We can still get them through the store. In fact, we can order them online and Disney would have to pay for the postage and printing instead of us. That's what is crazy about it.

askomsky
10-16-2008, 03:34 PM
Are they giving you a break on them? I mean if your paying $ for $ for them why wouldn't they sell them to you? I guess I'm confused. :confused:

luvmickey
10-16-2008, 03:34 PM
I was just getting ready to cash out for our trip at the end of November, can I still do this. I have saved all my money to cash out for disney gift cards.

SunshineGirl
10-16-2008, 03:35 PM
You can still cash out for Disney Gift Cards. We just cannot give any special rates.

fourfoxesinpa
10-16-2008, 03:37 PM
Yeah, I don't understand either. Does this affect orders that are already placed? Will Disney Dollars still be available? Sorry - I'm just confused on how this all works on the business end.

sselig2000
10-16-2008, 03:39 PM
I think that she just means that they are unable to get a bulk discount on the gift cards anymore, and so will be unable to do the special rate cash out offers on them. Right?

SunshineGirl
10-16-2008, 03:50 PM
I think that she just means that they are unable to get a bulk discount on the gift cards anymore, and so will be unable to do the special rate cash out offers on them. Right?

Correct. There will be no Super Member special rates anymore or any special cashouts coming up. The regular cashout rates are still available. If you already cashed out at a special rate, you are in luck.

sunshinecindy
10-16-2008, 04:01 PM
I'm not so sure that its very smart on their part. Think about it, how many people buy a GC for 50.00, and then use it down to maybe $2.00 or so, and then don't finish using that small amount. Probably thousands if not millions of dollars a year are put straight into Disneys pockets because of this. How many people lose or forget they even have an entire gift card and they aren't used at all. Disney should work with anyone who is willing to buy their cards, just for pure economics for them. Liability, oh please. They have Mission Space that kills people, I don't think selling cards in bulk to a loyalty site constitutes any type of liability hazard.

deana
10-16-2008, 04:02 PM
Wow! How ironic! I almost cashed out about 30 minutes ago and then decided to wait a bit longer...
I am honestly just happy to have this site to earn money for Disney. I have made over $800 since finding this site in late January...that is money that I would not have for our December trip without SR. :sunshine: I am greatful just to be a part of SR...I can live without the SM discount. Thanks for all you do!!!:hugs:

deana
10-16-2008, 04:07 PM
I am not sure if you can answer this Tricia... not sure if you can predict a timeframe for us. Will the time to recieve cards still be about the same? I was planning on cashing out for another $100 or so for our Dec 5 trip and do not know what the latest date is for me to still be "safe". Will the cards still come from SR or will they now come directly from Disney?

P.S. Sorry you have to go through this. I can imagine it is frustrating for you...

askomsky
10-16-2008, 04:08 PM
Correct. There will be no Super Member special rates anymore or any special cashouts coming up. The regular cashout rates are still available. If you already cashed out at a special rate, you are in luck.

Ahhh I understand now!

askomsky
10-16-2008, 04:10 PM
Wow! How ironic! I almost cashed out about 30 minutes ago and then decided to wait a bit longer...
I am honestly just happy to have this site to earn money for Disney. I have made over $800 since finding this site in late January...that is money that I would not have for our December trip without SR. :sunshine: I am greatful just to be a part of SR...I can live without the SM discount. Thanks for all you do!!!:hugs:

I totally agree! While the discount was nice I figure well I can just cash out and go by my own! (Until I realized what Tricia was talking about)

I have to agree with you Cindy, their really feeling the pinch and trying to look at it from all ends, but come on, gc's?? How about lowering your rates a little instead of raising ticket prices. I mean they really must be feeling it to offer free dining in Oct and Nov!

mjjmbnmm
10-16-2008, 04:12 PM
As much as I love Disney, their really starting to tick me off. Anyways thanks for everything you do for us Tricia.

pbhall13
10-16-2008, 04:34 PM
Tricia

Sorry that you got this news......great that you have grown so much that they are taking notice, but come on! It is crazy that they are going to now pay shipping/printing...they would have made out better if you got the SR rate and you had to pay for shipping/printing.

You have always look out for our best interest and this does not deter me from using SR. Getting the SR rate was a nice little perk, but by losing it I won't change how I feel about all you do for us!!

Oh well just another speed bump in this nasty economic time!!

sabrina90744
10-16-2008, 04:44 PM
I am sad to announce that we may no longer be able to order our Disney Gift Cards in bulk. I just got a call from Disney saying that they are not going to be doing any more bulk sales to rewards sites. :( I'm very sad by this because the end result is that a lot of Disney fans will miss out.

We can continue to order gift cards through the Disney Shopping site. However, we are temporarily on hold from doing any bulk orders. They are working through some legal issues, but I am not optimisitic. The reality is that we finally got big enough that they started to notice us.

I wish that it didn't have to be this way, but I am guessing that Disney is dealing with some economic decisions of its own and is making some hard choices.

Thanks Tricia! IMO, its not great news but not bad either, it just means we need to get a few more surveys in to reach the amounts we want. Bad news would be not being able to get Disney Cards at all.

I can't thank you and Sunside Rewards enough, my kids wouldnt be getting a vacation at all this year if it weren't for you. :thanks:

Magical JenK
10-16-2008, 04:52 PM
It's a shame, but it's not going to stop me from earning $$$ from SR! The disct was an added bonus. Thanks for letting us know Tricia!

PSL1013
10-16-2008, 04:53 PM
At first reading this I thought we wouldn't be able to cash out for Disney GC at all anymore....the SM discount perk was nice but if you look at it as money that you are getting for "free" anyway, than it's not really that bad of news! Just looking at the bright side if things....at least they aren't discontinuing GC altogether, which I thought was the case at first. You never know what they are going to do next...bottom line is that Disney is all about the money, some bigwig must think that they can save a ton of money somehow, who knows??? Don't worry about it Tricia, we SR's all understand and are grateful for SR to even exist and all that you do for us! :sunshine:

athoods
10-16-2008, 05:05 PM
Not happy about no more super member discount either but what the hey! They have us over a barell and having to cash out at regular rate is better then them pulling them completely.

Alice28
10-16-2008, 05:09 PM
No big whoop- I still SO APPRECIATE being able to cash out for Disney cards at all!!! If that totally went away, then yes, I would be super sad. But fair is fair and I still love Sunshine Rewards!!!!! :clap:

SunshineGirl
10-16-2008, 05:21 PM
We'll continue to roll with the punches no matter what comes our way. Those of you who have been here a long time has seen us go from $50 offers to almost no offers to major surveys to no surveys. In between we've added shopping merchants, contests, videos, and blogging opportunities. I'm disappointed by Disney because I personally am such a Disney fan. But with the economy the way that it is, nothing surprises me anymore.

PSL1013
10-16-2008, 05:29 PM
We'll continue to roll with the punches no matter what comes our way. Those of you who have been here a long time has seen us go from $50 offers to almost no offers to major surveys to no surveys. In between we've added shopping merchants, contests, videos, and blogging opportunities. I'm disappointed by Disney because I personally am such a Disney fan. But with the economy the way that it is, nothing surprises me anymore.

yup, I'm one that has seen it all and nothing surprises me anymore....we certainly will go with the flow and not complain!! :D

askomsky
10-16-2008, 05:33 PM
I havent' been around as long as some, but long enough to know that SR is an awesome company who while making a profit has the customers (us!) in their best interests. I've seen many opprotunities to earn some extra money and I'm just thankful for such a great site where I spend a lot of time,. (Sometimes too much! :) )

sammielynn
10-16-2008, 05:36 PM
It was a nice ride while it lasted. As long as we can still get Disney cards I'm happy.

Hope
10-16-2008, 05:41 PM
I just joined like 2-3 weeks ago but have so far found SR to be a great community filled with lots of opportunities and shopping incentives. I'm bummed I didn't find out about this site before but so long as you guys don't go away and can continue to operate then all is gravy baby!:party:

Yes my main motivation for joining was for Disney money but hey you have so many other GC opportunities that even if we weren't able to get Disney gift cards anymore, I'd still be around and soaking up the sunshine with the rest of you. :sunshine:

I had no idea about super member discounts anyway so this isn't the worst news I've received this week. :D Keep up the great work!

wilsonfamily4
10-16-2008, 05:43 PM
Hey you solved a dilema for me. :) I wasn't sure if I wanted to cash out for disney GC knowing I could get a few more dollars that way or cash out through paypal. Now I will just use paypal. Really doesn't bug me at all. there are so many different ways to cash out that I think we can survive. ;)

faithhope
10-16-2008, 05:50 PM
Thanks for passing the discount on to us for the time you had it... that is what makes this site so great!
I'm glad we can get Disney Gift Cards still...even without the discount...

But I do think Disney is making a mistake... We wouldn't be going to Disney this year if it wasn't for SR, so I think they should be doing what they can to support great reward sites like SR.

I love the clear and honest communication that you give us on the boards, so we always know what is going on.

piglet-for-me
10-16-2008, 06:18 PM
But I do think Disney is making a mistake... We wouldn't be going to Disney this year if it wasn't for SR, so I think they should be doing what they can to support great reward sites like SR.

I agree. The trip that I took my kids on this summer to Disney Hilton Head Island was almost 100% paid for with disney gift cards. I couldn't ask for anything better.

Hopefully someone at Disney is reading here and seeing that many of us have been able to visit Disney because of the gift cards earned here. Maybe, just maybe, they will one day change their position.

I very much understand the turn in our economy. It's been a very long year in our house and I am also thankful for what I can earn here. Thanks.

mirandag819
10-16-2008, 06:38 PM
You know Disney got more money out of us because of SR disney gift cards.
I haven't gotten that far in my TR, but on the last day of our vacation, we still had hundreds in gift cards and went and spent them all at DTD. If it wasn't for the giftcards I wouldn't have spent any extra of that money. Without the SM bonus I will just use paypal, they dish gift cards were fun while they lasted, but cash works just fine for me too.

So is Disney doing away with their bulk discount, or only their bulk discount to reward sites? It seems odd they would target one group, but I don't understand a lot of things Disney is doing here lately. I should have realized you got a discount on the giftcards, but it never occurred to me, I just thought it was something nice you did on your own.

sammielynn
10-16-2008, 06:44 PM
You know Disney got more money out of us because of SR disney gift cards.
I haven't gotten that far in my TR, but on the last day of our vacation, we still had hundreds in gift cards and went and spent them all at DTD. If it wasn't for the giftcards I wouldn't have spent any extra of that money. Without the SM bonus I will just use paypal, they dish gift cards were fun while they lasted, but cash works just fine for me too.

So is Disney doing away with their bulk discount, or only their bulk discount to reward sites? It seems odd they would target one group, but I don't understand a lot of things Disney is doing here lately. I should have realized you got a discount on the giftcards, but it never occurred to me, I just thought it was something nice you did on your own.

We did the same thing! We did not have hundreds left but nearly one hundred left. We went on a shopping spreewith what we had left and that was after we had eaten our fill at Disney and even purchased some ride photos that I never would have bought if I been paying cash.

SunshineGirl
10-16-2008, 07:10 PM

It seems maybe it is just for rewards site. We were getting some discount and giving some on our own. Before this month, we were getting less discount than we were giving the Super Members and on the big cashouts. As of this month, we tried to get it closer so that we would be losing less on the SM cashouts.

I am still reeling and can't figure out what exactly it is all about. It may even be an internal thing between the sales department and the corporate sales department.

StitchandPooh'smom
10-16-2008, 07:20 PM
Hey you solved a dilema for me. :) I wasn't sure if I wanted to cash out for disney GC knowing I could get a few more dollars that way or cash out through paypal. Now I will just use paypal. Really doesn't bug me at all. there are so many different ways to cash out that I think we can survive. ;)

Same with me, actually. ;) I don't have a Disney trip planned :(, but it seemed silly to not take advantage of the SM discount since we will go back in a few years. I was toying with the idea of getting other gift cards to do some Christmas shopping, so I think I will go that way.

Too bad about the discounts, but we all still love earning SR money and soaking up the sunshine!

ligrumpygirl
10-16-2008, 08:09 PM
I am pretty sure I talk for most of us when I say we are not going anywhere! I came here to make Disney money...and I have done that many times over with help from those specials. But I have also made friends and that is the greatest part!!

What did I do before these forums?? Oh that's right....did my lesson plans at home...folded laundry...made dinners. UGH - off to shop and do a survey!

jenvance
10-16-2008, 08:44 PM
I am pretty sure I talk for most of us when I say we are not going anywhere! I came here to make Disney money...and I have done that many times over with help from those specials. But I have also made friends and that is the greatest part!!

What did I do before these forums?? Oh that's right....did my lesson plans at home...folded laundry...made dinners. UGH - off to shop and do a survey!

I agree!!! It is still money whether we get the discount or not!! SO thanks SR for giving us this oppurtunity.:sunshine2:

3dog2kidmom
10-16-2008, 08:57 PM
No big whoop- I still SO APPRECIATE being able to cash out for Disney cards at all!!! If that totally went away, then yes, I would be super sad. But fair is fair and I still love Sunshine Rewards!!!!! :clap:

Ditto.

~Kathie
10-16-2008, 09:14 PM

Ditto!!!

mollyeilis
10-17-2008, 12:34 AM
I'm not so sure that its very smart on their part. Think about it, how many people buy a GC for 50.00, and then use it down to maybe $2.00 or so, and then don't finish using that small amount. Probably thousands if not millions of dollars a year are put straight into Disneys pockets because of this. How many people lose or forget they even have an entire gift card and they aren't used at all. Disney should work with anyone who is willing to buy their cards, just for pure economics for them. Liability, oh please. They have Mission Space that kills people, I don't think selling cards in bulk to a loyalty site constitutes any type of liability hazard.

On top of that, they are getting how much all at once, a big lump sum, and then not having to give anything out in return for how long? For the few who time cashouts so close they leave just after getting the mail, there's not long, but how many cash out a month, 2 months, 6 months ahead of time? So they get that money and it can just sit there, earning interest, before having to give anything for it.

On the other hand, the one thing that flitted across my brain was wondering if there was fraud with some other site. So everyone is getting punished b/c of some dingleberry out there doing bad things.

And the other wonder was if they just don't understand what the sites are all about.

Ultimately it's not that big a deal to me as an individual, but it sure feels rude of them!

iluvamystery89
10-17-2008, 08:04 AM

ditto here as well. thanks for all your hard work, tricia. :sunshine2:

Magical JenK
10-17-2008, 09:12 AM

Same here...except for that lesson part...oh and the dinner part...:p Love my SR friends!

lrsellars
10-17-2008, 10:52 AM
I'm just happy to be able to earn money to cash out for the gift cards. Thanks for all you do!!!!

schaery
10-17-2008, 11:32 AM

Same here. Well said.

And....My house would be cleaner but this is so much more fun, and pays better however I cash out.

Kittykat
10-18-2008, 05:46 PM
What about the emailable GC codes that we could use for reservations?

I'm bummed about losing the SM discount (I'd been sitting on a couple of hundred dollars hoping to cash out in December--oh well) but will have get glad in the same pants I got sad in...

T1nkrules
10-25-2008, 09:25 AM
Well, I'm not going anywhere! The discount was just an extra scoop of ice cream...I'll still cash out for Disney cards and others...besides, I love SR and I love you guys!

disney_girl
10-25-2008, 10:39 AM
Definitely not going anywhere, but it is disappointing that Disney is eliminating that option for reward sites. I am however glad that we still have the option to cash out for Disney Gift Cards and I will continue to cash out for them as long as we have that option.

As someone else posted, we spend more with Disney when using these gift cards. I know we would have thought twice about some of the snacks and purchases if the money was coming strictly from our regular budget. I know the economy is tough right now, but I'm hoping Disney will somehow have a change of heart on this issue.

loretta32965
10-25-2008, 11:29 AM
I too am grateful for SR and Disney gift cards. I just started a new job after being unemployed for a year and due to the economy, may be out of work again. Unemployment benefits are all exhausted. My gift cards paid for all of the ride photos that I wouldn't have even considered if I didn't have them. The photos and expressions are priceless and gave all 16 of us that went awesome memories. I am now using SR money earned to pay on credit card balances. It's enough each month to cover minimum payments. Thank you for this opportunity and for all of the hard work you do for us!!! You always go the extra mile to keep us happy, have fun, and earn a little money!!! :thanks: