PDA

View Full Version : I'm frustrated! Referrals and the DIS

llgray16
07-31-2007, 08:35 AM
OK - this is just a vent!

I am a big supporter of SR and I post about it all the time on the DIS. It is so frustrating that we can't have referral links over there. From a few posts I made yesterday, I had 4 people pm me and say they signed up and wanted tips on how to make money over here. This happens all the time! I don't have a problem in helping people I wish I could just some sort of credit for those people! I so wish we could have our SR banner in our signature. It would make things so much easier.

I understand why they don't want referral links because we know how those referral wars can get out of control. And I am no way upset with the people who signed up! Good for you guys! SR is a great way to make extra $$$ for that Disney vacation or whatever else you may need some extra funds for. I just wish there was a better way.

OK - vent over :sunshine:

sunshinecindy
07-31-2007, 08:48 AM
Don;t know if its allowed or not, but can you sign your name with your referral number?

m 'n c
07-31-2007, 08:49 AM
I completely understand. I get frustrated over there as well and then sometimes I feel guilty because I'll sign up for something someone recommends and then realize later they do referrals for the survey company or reward program and I didn't sign up under anyone.

It would be nice to be able to say I have a few referrals available if banners are not allowed. Then you aren't asking for a referral but offering one.

llgray16
07-31-2007, 08:58 AM
We can't do anything over there in terms of referrals. I did start a blog about saving money for Disney called Disney on a Dime that has my banners on it. I'm afraid if I put a link for my blog in my signature over there that they will repremand me for even that :(

m 'n c
07-31-2007, 09:02 AM
Ooh I like your blog idea. I have been thinking about an anonymous blog to track my WW roller coaster and my earning towards disney since I have too many friends on myspace that I don't want to read about my weight issues and such. which blog program do you use?

llgray16
07-31-2007, 09:06 AM
I use blogspot. I'll admit I started and never got going past my first blog :rotfl: I had all intentions of keeping it going but then I figured that no one would ever find it so I just haven't been motivated to keep it going. I really should start doing more with it.

m 'n c
07-31-2007, 09:09 AM
haha that sounds like my old blog from college - another blonde moment. I got maybe 4 posts in there and then abandoned it. Can't even remember my username/password/ or email associated with it.

Magical JenK
07-31-2007, 09:16 AM
I thought if people PM'd you you could give them your referral link? I only have one referral...I'm no good at it!! :0)

llgray16
07-31-2007, 09:19 AM
I thought if people PM'd you you could give them your referral link? I only have one referral...I'm no good at it!! :0)

You can but you can't tell them to pm you. So what I run into is people follow the "generic" link for SR that I post. They signup and then come back asking for advice. Like I said I don't mind giving it I would just like a little something for it (in the way of a referral.) I literally have made hundreds of posts about SR and I only have 3 referrals :(

I was sure I wasn't the only one with this frustraation!

jnorth1007
07-31-2007, 09:27 AM
Is it possible to talk to Tricia about maybe giving them your number when they PM you for advice after joining and seeing if they request it if she can have them added to your referrals? It might end up getting pretty crazy for her but if we are only talking one or two a month she might be willing. Especially since you cant post a referral there. Another suggestion might be that when they ask you questions to just say "PM and I will give you the information you are looking for". If you don't post the generic link they will PM you and you can post the referral in the PM. HTH!

Magical JenK
07-31-2007, 09:37 AM
You can but you can't tell them to pm you. So what I run into is people follow the "generic" link for SR that I post. They signup and then come back asking for advice. Like I said I don't mind giving it I would just like a little something for it (in the way of a referral.) I literally have made hundreds of posts about SR and I only have 3 referrals :(

I was sure I wasn't the only one with this frustraation!

Oh I didn't know that....so maybe you can work into your selling of SR about how you can make money if you refer people & maybe people will get the hint?? :angel: See if they can make money by referring their friends, why couldn't you make money by referring them!!

~Kathie
07-31-2007, 10:10 AM
....so maybe you can work into your selling of SR about how you can make money if you refer people & maybe people will get the hint?? :angel: See if they can make money by referring their friends, why couldn't you make money by referring them!!

This might work.

I'm not sure if any of you were there a while ago when they did allow referrals.......man...it was ugly!! Talk about cat fights. I know why they don't allow them.

It is frustrating.

SunshineGirl
07-31-2007, 10:27 AM
Let me think on this. Maybe there is a way that we can do a Special Disney Signup page that people can only get to if someone refers them. I don't know how we could swing the tech part of it for sure, but I can talk to DH. Maybe they can an extra .25 or something by using that page?

llgray16
07-31-2007, 10:30 AM
Tricia, I really didn't start this to make any more work for you or the rest of the SR team!!!

I'm just frustrated by the DIS and needed a place to vent (at least one that is nicer than the other venting place ;) )

Sahmy
07-31-2007, 11:25 AM
Oh I didn't know that....so maybe you can work into your selling of SR about how you can make money if you refer people & maybe people will get the hint?? :angel: See if they can make money by referring their friends, why couldn't you make money by referring them!!

You're not supposed to hint for referrals either. Some people have done it and they had to edit their post or a mod would edit it. Some people have been very, very obvious and the mods don't say a word. I am sure it's hard to moderate such a large board but it is somewhat inconsistent.

The links in the signature is another example. They don't want a link to a site where you are selling anything or have a link through to someplace like amazon where you can get credit if someone makes a purchase. Someone there has a great site with lots of up to date pics on the wand going down and the CR construction but they can't link to it because of an Amazon link to a Disney book, I think. While others have links to sites where they are selling stuff directly.

Again, it probably has to do with the enormity of the board. That's what I like about this board - it's small and comfortable and friendly. But, then I feel bad for saying that because I do want SR to be successful and so that would mean more people and then a bigger board.

kimntrent
07-31-2007, 11:31 AM
I am loyal when it comes to this. I know on other rewards programs I would want someone to come to me if they wanted to sign up when I signed up for Sunshine I PM'd a person on DIS and asked them to send me a referral link to sign up under. The first one who did got my name.

Ki8m
________
Avandia lawsuit info (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/avandia/)

speechteachri
07-31-2007, 11:51 AM
I have had the same problem. I also have no referrals yet, and I talk up SR all the time!

I have been wondering about the possibility of "buying" a referral or getting a referral as a prize or something. Like maybe instead of getting a cash prize for making a certain number of surveys for the month, maybe the prize could be a referral. I know there is another site that does something like this, and that is the only way I was able to get a referral. There have got to be lots of people who sign up without a referral. No?

Just curious about this.?

m 'n c
07-31-2007, 12:04 PM
For some reason I thought that buying or earning referrals was one of those things the advertiser was not liking in a previous post by Tricia but I could be wrong. I will say that everytime I have "bought" a referral on another site it has been worthless to me.

Sahmy
07-31-2007, 12:07 PM
I have had the same problem. I also have no referrals yet, and I talk up SR all the time!

I have been wondering about the possibility of "buying" a referral or getting a referral as a prize or something. Like maybe instead of getting a cash prize for making a certain number of surveys for the month, maybe the prize could be a referral. I know there is another site that does something like this, and that is the only way I was able to get a referral. There have got to be lots of people who sign up without a referral. No?

Just curious about this.?

I like that idea. You could have referral links like the paid click links, except that you would HAVE to complete the offer on the link and when you complete a certain number, you earn a referral.

I need to work on a blog. I think I'm gonna do that and put the link in my email signature. Maybe I can get some referrals that way.

kimntrent
07-31-2007, 12:18 PM
I like all these ideas. I myself have ventured away from Disboards. But my mom is still on there watching. I like advertising on the Yahoo groups. I would love to do it other places as well but I draw blanks. I have asked Tricia before who had the most referrals but she never gave me a number. I find it being a challenge to me to get someone past that 5.00 mark and I just wanna see who I need to beat here. I love the 2.00 but I love the challenge more.
________
Marijuana vaporizer (http://weedvaporizers.info/)

~Kathie
07-31-2007, 12:37 PM
Regarding links, you can't link to anything where you will make a profit on the DIS Boards or any profit making site.

You are allowed to post your ebay ID's and what you are selling but not a link to your auctions or ebay store.

I'm really surprised they let everyone post their ebay ID.

jnorth1007
07-31-2007, 01:34 PM
First, with regard to the referral as a prize for the survey bonus, for some people that would be a loss of money LOL 2.00 for a referral IF they happen to hit 5.00 or a guaranteed 5.00 for hitting 25 surveys. I'm not sure this would work like it does at other sites because the earning on referrals stops at 2.00

Second, Is there a way to put out sunshine ID numbers on signatures on DIS? If they allow you to do that with ebay then I dont see why you can put : SR user number: 5775 . This at least gives them the choice of entering you into the field for referral when they sign up.

SunshineGirl
07-31-2007, 01:41 PM
1) Maybe we could make special SR bracelets with member numbers just for places where you can't have referrals links?

2) We are actually going to be doing something with referrals for the next SM feature that starts tomorrow. And then it will be open to everyone in September. (but it doesn't solve the bigger problem)

3) What about an exclusive link of some kind? Where if a member signs up through a link that they can ONLY get from another member, they get an extra .25 at signup?

m 'n c
07-31-2007, 01:45 PM
I'm thinking anything incentivized wouldn't fly either since they ban things like ING referrals which include a free $25 if you get a referral from a friend.

I think the thing people will have to think about doing is either pm'ing people who you put a link to SR in their posts on the Dis and telling them more about the program and offering a referral link/number which still isn't allowed but is less likely to get caught by a mod or just don't help people who don't sign up under you if they get aggrevating with asking for too much help. There is a forum here where we'd all be willing to help and share the burden. I don't mind helping people and giving tips but I"m not a handholder like some pm'ers like to think.

llgray16
07-31-2007, 02:21 PM
I'm thinking anything incentivized wouldn't fly either since they ban things like ING referrals which include a free $25 if you get a referral from a friend.

I think the thing people will have to think about doing is either pm'ing people who you put a link to SR in their posts on the Dis and telling them more about the program and offering a referral link/number which still isn't allowed but is less likely to get caught by a mod or just don't help people who don't sign up under you if they get aggrevating with asking for too much help. There is a forum here where we'd all be willing to help and share the burden. I don't mind helping people and giving tips but I"m not a handholder like some pm'ers like to think.

Anything that even smells of a referral over there gets reported! I just always post the info for SR because 1) it is a fantastic program that deserves to be promoted 2) it is a great way for people to earn money for their trips. I don't mind helping out at all. I just wish that there was some way over there to get people to know that referrals earn money too. I want to help people but I also can't old hands as you go thru the program. There are many of us that are always willing to answers when we can but my time is precious as well. I am happy to say that 2 of the 3 people that I did get to use me as a referral are pretty active with SR. I'm glad for them, SR and my $2 :)

Honestly, I don't think there is any way around the whole referral thing over there. I know what the referral wars look like and they really aren't pretty. Especially on the budget board (oh, that can get downright nasty!)

I just wanted to vent and I knew you guys would understand.

EDIT: Oh, be careful of the pm thing. That doesn't go over well. In fact I remember when a bunch of us on the Rewards board got them from someone for another program and we were none too happy about it. I think that we should all just start making little comments in our description of SR on how you can also earn money be refering new people. Maybe some will get the hint like someone else said :)

m 'n c
07-31-2007, 02:34 PM
Yeah I haven't really tried the pm thing as I know I was pissed when I was getting bombarded by other fly by night programs via pm.

TXMouseChaser
07-31-2007, 02:46 PM
I belong to a couple sites that I am very active (not DIS) and I have posted about Sunshinerewards.com a lot. I can't post my referral link NOR can I give it to them via PM. The owner of one of the sites (and it is a shopping site) has given me a warning for giving people my link EVEN when they PM me first. So, I just post about it and put the normal link and let people just join that way. I know for a fact 7 people have joined from that site alone!

The other board doesn't allow any type of link in signatures or promoting any site so when I mention it there, I just say that I make money for Christmas through Sunshinerewards.com. I have gotten some PM's from people saying they joined and like it.:sunshine:

I wish there was a way to get people to use my referral link but I am just glad to promote Sunshinerewards.com too!

tink2008
07-31-2007, 02:50 PM
I feel bad because I believe you are who referred me to SR. I had no Idea about referals and didnt even know there was a thing called PM. I am so sorry. I wish you could get credit for it. :(

speechteachri
07-31-2007, 03:12 PM
Yeah I haven't really tried the pm thing as I know I was pissed when I was getting bombarded by other fly by night programs via pm.
I was thinking this same thing. I have been tempted in the past to send a PM to someone who was obviously questioning the whole GPT thing, but I have never done it because I remember how everyone else felt getting unsolicited e-mails to join a site. I just can't justify that to myself, so I remain referral-less!

bbangel
07-31-2007, 03:21 PM
I got mine when people specifically asked for a pm (back when that was allowed) About 1/5 of the people I sent a pm to signed up and about half of them are active members that got to $5.

tink2008
07-31-2007, 03:31 PM
1) Maybe we could make special SR bracelets with member numbers just for places where you can't have referrals links?

2) We are actually going to be doing something with referrals for the next SM feature that starts tomorrow. And then it will be open to everyone in September. (but it doesn't solve the bigger problem)

3) What about an exclusive link of some kind? Where if a member signs up through a link that they can ONLY get from another member, they get an extra .25 at signup?

Perhaps there could be a link inside the referal area that instructs new members as to how to get referal numbers.

tink2008
07-31-2007, 03:43 PM
If I would have been able to get llgray16 referral code then She would have gotten 5 bucks from my referral becuase i have made 26.00 + in two days. Thanks SR Sorry llgray16 :confused:

llgray16
07-31-2007, 04:23 PM
If I would have been able to get llgray16 referral code then She would have gotten 5 bucks from my referral becuase i have made 26.00 + in two days. Thanks SR Sorry llgray16 :confused:

Please don't worry about it!!!! You didn't know! I feel bad about posting about this now. My intent was not to make people feel bad - just vent a little frustration with another system. That's all :)

bluefuzzy
07-31-2007, 04:57 PM
I wonder if there could be a Who referred here box. And have one of the options be DIS and then have a field where the person can type in the DIS member's name. THe only flaw with that, is not everyone here uses their DIS name.

mollyeilis
07-31-2007, 08:17 PM
I got mine when people specifically asked for a pm (back when that was allowed) About 1/5 of the people I sent a pm to signed up and about half of them are active members that got to $5.

Their sticky over there about how to start with rewards site says that a person CAN send another member a PM, asking for their referral info.

We just can't PM a newbie asking if they want a referral link, or asking them to ask us for one. :)

I personally can see lots of room for sneaky after-the-fact referrals, with anything but a newbie asking someone for a referral, and doing it through the normal referral link. Things that happen afterwards aren't always on the up and up, and I personally think would be a pain.

Then again, I doubt I'll EVER get a referral, so I'm not highly motivated to make it easier. I'm just mean like that. :p

SunshineGirl
07-31-2007, 08:19 PM
Perhaps there could be a link inside the referal area that instructs new members as to how to get referal numbers.

I was thinking even a simple thing like this would help. Like instead of just the "referrer" box when they sign up, saying something like "Did someone else tell you about Sunshine Rewards? If they did, get their referral number and put it in this box so that they can earn a reward for referring you!"

Do you think that might make some people step back and go get your referral number before completing their signup?

jnorth1007
07-31-2007, 08:25 PM
I think that this could help. It is simple, just adding some wording to the existing way and this might make new people aware that referrals earn money and give them the opportunity ahead of time to link to a member.

llgray16
07-31-2007, 09:01 PM
I think that this could help. It is simple, just adding some wording to the existing way and this might make new people aware that referrals earn money and give them the opportunity ahead of time to link to a member.

I agree :)

Kycha
07-31-2007, 09:06 PM
I agree. I didn't even know that there was a referral program with SR when I signed up. If I had known, I definitely would have wanted someone to make a few bucks off my referral. Tricia I think you are on the right track with the set up you suggested. Thanks so much!