PDA

View Full Version : (Ended)Countdown Contest: 14 Days Until Christmas

SunshineGirl
12-10-2008, 09:19 AM
We've talked a lot about the commercial aspects and traditional aspects of Christmas. Today let's talk about what is in your heart. If someone gave you $1000 to donate to a charity this Christmas, which charity would it be and why?

Standard Rules Apply:

http://sunshinerewardsforum.com/showthread.php?t=17569

kxmeeh
12-10-2008, 09:23 AM
near and dear to my heart. my sister has a blood disease, so it would have to be tag...thalassemia action group. they have yearly conferences and raise money so that people who want to attend, and learn about new developments, but can't afford to, can go anyway. she's actually on the board of directors, so we have fundraisers here in my hometown, usually twice a year. it's a rare blood disease, and on that doesn't get the attention compared to the biggies out there.

fourfoxesinpa
12-10-2008, 09:26 AM
This is easy - I would donate 1/2 to our public library and the other 1/2 to our Literacy Council which helps adults learn to read. Because once you have complete access to information, you can find ways to help whatever challenge you're faced with.

jendon1997
12-10-2008, 09:27 AM
My money would go to the Make a Wish foundation. Seeing those sick kids always gets me.

missymouse
12-10-2008, 09:27 AM
I would give the $1000 to Days End Farm Horse Rescue because they do wonderful things with horses that abused or neglected. There motto is give us your $ and we'll give you change. They live up to that every day. In fact one of the horses that my DD was very fond of came in a bundle of bones due to neglect and he is now a dressage horse.

~Kathie
12-10-2008, 09:30 AM
I'd donate it to the local homeless shelter. It's called Crossroads Rhode Island (http://www.crossroadsri.org/)

They were so overwhelmed recently trying to find beds for homeless families with the recent cold snap. They have a virtual catalog on their site where it tells you what your donation will buy. 84 cents of every dollars goes directly towards providing services to the homeless and disconnected.

They help the homeless find a permanent home, crisis intervention, and vocational training. A very worthwhile organization that does incredible work in the entire state.

jl8595
12-10-2008, 09:31 AM
I would donate the money to our town food pantry. They're really struggling this year with donations and they have more hungry people than ever unfortunately. My DH and I have a yearly tradition of donating to the pantry and this year is the worst we've ever seen it in terms of empty shelves - we'll be doing another drop off on Friday morning.

sselig2000
12-10-2008, 09:35 AM
I think that I would have to say, the Make a Wish foundation. Also though, there are a few families I know of personally in our comunity that are struggling so hard this year, I have been wishing that I could just pay some bills for them to relieve some of the worry.

MdCaterer
12-10-2008, 09:39 AM
I would donate to cancer research as it is becoming far too prevelent in the world today. I just saw in the local paper that it is predicted to be the leading cause of death in 2010.

lkturner
12-10-2008, 09:42 AM
DAV-Disabled American Vets. Through history, they have never gotten the help or respect they deserve.

linanglab
12-10-2008, 09:53 AM
Probably our local women's shelter for abused women. I cannot imagine leaving my home because of fear for my life. Many have small children and have no where else to go. Breaks my heart.

disney_girl
12-10-2008, 09:55 AM
I would put the $1000 towards cancer research. In the last few years, I cancer has touched many people in my life and it is such a scary disease. It's one of those things I hope my children don't have to face years from now.

pbhall13
12-10-2008, 09:56 AM
I would give 1/2 to the Sarcoidosis Foundation (a disease that my BIL was diagnosed with just over a year ago) Many have never heard of this disease, but it has been getting some attention since comedian Bernie Mac passed away this summer....he had this disease)

more info: http://www.stopsarcoidosis.org/sarcoidosis/diseasefacts.htm

AND the other half would go to The American Heart Association. I have always given to this charity, but since my mom had a heart attack last year it has jumped even higher on my list of donations.

more info: http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=1200000

OhMari
12-10-2008, 09:57 AM
I would give it to our YMCA.
They are in the heart of Fond du Lac WI and they are trying to build on top of their old site, while trying to build a new site. The reason they are doing this, is because they don't want to displace the Boys and Girls Club. These kids have no where to go after school. I know mine isn't so heart wrenching, but my heart aches for some of these kids I see. I try to attend the 4:00 p.m. step/class and our room has been moved to an old basketball court, with hardly any heat, but we will survive. We just need to wear sweats the first 20 minutes.
So my $1,000 would go to the YMCA, they are building this thing, with donations that are coming in really slow.

memanana
12-10-2008, 10:01 AM
I would donate to cancer research

JillyFish
12-10-2008, 10:13 AM
I would give the $1000 to an organization called Shoahannah's Hope. It was started by singer Steven Curtis Chapman and his wife to help families who would like to adopt children but are unable to because of the financial aspect.
When we adopted our three children we received grant money from our adoption agency that helped us so much. So an organization that helps adoptive families like this is near and dear to my heart!

sammielynn
12-10-2008, 10:24 AM
I would donate it to the local Boy Scout Camp (Camp Buck Toms). The first time I went to the camp to visit my older brother I fell in love with the place. Both my brothers and my sons had great experiences there. Just a lovely place and a true playground for young men.

Sunni
12-10-2008, 10:26 AM
I would donate half to the http://www.imermanangels.org/. My daughter hooked me up with this group. I believe in their mission of a cancer surivor for every a cancer fighter. The surivor that I was paired up with is a wonderful and incredible person. She has really helped me along and is a wonderful friend. This group is doing a lot.

The other half would go to cancer research and if I could choose...Lymphoma research.

m 'n c
12-10-2008, 10:33 AM
I would donate to St. Jude's Cancer Research. They do many wonderful things for children with terrible diseases. I was blessed to have a childhood friend sent there and given a great experimental drug that saved her life. She is doing wonderfully today and it is thanks to St. Jude's.

dparra
12-10-2008, 10:33 AM
St. Jude's.. hands down... They do such great things for so many families and children. I have a special place in my heart for sick children (well all children :) )

lanny76
12-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Oh my, I'd have a hard time just giving it to one! I know I would want to donate some local tho, and we have a Crossroads homeless shelter as well, so probably I would give half to that. And perhaps the other half to cancer research, maybe St Jude's.

bartleby1
12-10-2008, 10:58 AM
I would donate it to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. My BIL was diagnosed about a year ago with leukemia, my daughter's teacher (28 years old) has been fighting it for a few years now and unfortunately has been out sick all year (hoping to come back in January), and my neighbor/good friend when I was growing up died of leukemia when he was only in 5th grade. So, it is a cause that is near to my heart.

Soccer Princess
12-10-2008, 11:04 AM
I would donate the money to our local Humane Society. I am a huge animal lover and I know they need to money to save all of the innocent animals lives.

rumrunnergirl
12-10-2008, 11:06 AM
I would donate to World Vision www.worldvision.org or www.one.org - probably split it 50/50.

Both of these organizations address worldwide poverty, hunger and the global AIDS crisis. As Bono says "why should whether we live or die be determined by an error of longitude and latitude?" Amen!

saffymom
12-10-2008, 11:21 AM
I would donate it to the Children's Hospital here in Pittsburgh. My son spent 14 days in the NICU there after he was born and they were so wonderful to us.

eaglesdare
12-10-2008, 11:27 AM
wow i personally find that a hard one.

i think i would have to split it up in some way and give some to our local animal shelter and then give some to a hospital for preemies.

my reasons being that i love animals and they just can't take care of themselves, and my son was a preemie so i know first hand what that means.

tarheelpat
12-10-2008, 11:29 AM
My mother-in-law founded a nonprofit child development center that is truly amazing. It goes way beyond daycare with parent support programs, services for handicapped kids, etc. Although she raised almost $6 million to open the original site (it now has three), she wouldn't allow it to named for her. The scholarship program, however, is named for her, so that's where my $1,000 would go in memory of this amazing woman whom I loved very much.

sarah4770
12-10-2008, 11:32 AM
Scholarship America
I believe that helping our children get an education is a very worthwhile use of money.

?Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime??Author unknown

disneymomma
12-10-2008, 11:48 AM
I would have to donate half to the leukemia society. My uncle has lived with it for many years and it took my young neice when she was only 2.
The other half would go to a Christian homeless shelter in Nashville where I unfortunately had to live for a brief time in my younger days.

deblira
12-10-2008, 11:51 AM
I would donate the money to St. Jude's Children's Hospital. They really care about children and do wonderful work with their research.

penn19
12-10-2008, 12:12 PM
St Judes Hospital. They never turn anyone away even if they can't pay.

Alice28
12-10-2008, 12:33 PM
I think I would donate to Toys for Tots this year- I think a lot of kids are going to need a little sparkle in their Christmas this year, and I have an affinity for Toys for Tots. My DH was a Marine when we first started dating. :)

Tiggerific711
12-10-2008, 12:33 PM
I would donate it to the Melanoma Research Foundation in my brother's name. My brother died from stage 4 melanoma last December after being misdiagnosed 8 years ago. It would be a fitting tribute to a wonderful person.

kimbih
12-10-2008, 12:37 PM
ASPCA and/or a local shelter. I just read an article about how animals were being "dumped" because of the bad economy and owners can no longer take care of their pets.

askomsky
12-10-2008, 12:57 PM
I would have to split it amoungst several.

1. Our local library - like Kathie said their funding keeps getting cut every year, our local branch has a HUGE children's program and outreaches to the community every chance they get. Some kids in town this is the only books they get to "take" home wiht them, reading and literacy is such a huge part of our society.

2. PACS our local food pantry - Like others have said their supply is low and they're now actually having twice as many families coming in for help then they did last year.

3. Our local SPCA - the newspaper just the other day said on Sunday alone 40 pets were dropped off at the shelter in one day bc owners can't take care of them.

I could probably come up with a lot more but I know locally these 3 are in dire need.

bbangel
12-10-2008, 12:58 PM
This was tough as it is hard to choose just one. I finally decided on the Salvation Army because they have many programs for the community. They are also on my mind as one of their depots was hit by a bus yesterday causing lots of damage to their building :(

arob414
12-10-2008, 12:58 PM
This is hard. Wherever I donated it would be something that helped children, especially those who don't have enough to eat and warm clothes.

Arky
12-10-2008, 01:00 PM
I would donate the money to St. Jude's. I can't imagine how hard it would be if it were my child who was sick. I'd love to help St. Jude's help these sick kids.

stacieps
12-10-2008, 01:06 PM
That's a tough one - too many good choices. This year, though, I think I'd go local. We have a local "Santa Fund" that helps families that need it, the local food bank, and we have a local "keeping warm in the community" event going on now to help with heating assistance.

shmily1
12-10-2008, 01:33 PM
I would give part to the Marines Toys for Tots, part to Hospice, and part to the Patriot Guard Riders who do the funeral services for the fallen heroes.

kimntrent
12-10-2008, 02:01 PM
I would donate it to the American Cancer Society. Christmas is hard enough for some families but when you loose someone around the holidays like I did with my papa you realize that Christmas may suck without toys but it sucks even more without the people you love.

piglet-for-me
12-10-2008, 02:34 PM
The American Heart Association. Not only did my Dad die of a heart attack, my Mom had a stroke, my brother died of a heart attack and my sister died of cardio vascular disease. With our strong family history, I worry about my other siblings, myself and mostly, my children.

emtntn
12-10-2008, 03:02 PM
This is a really hard one. I have so many that I would love to donate to such as cancer reasearch, St Judes, Ronald McDonald House...etc... I guess with the way times are this year I would have to donate to our local angel tree and food pantry. Our little county is low income in normal situations so this year with have many hungry families and lots of little kids that won't get anything from Santa.

jenvance
12-10-2008, 03:18 PM
This one was really hard for me because there are som many deserving organizations out there. And I have had so many of these organizations help the tragedies of friends and families in my life in the past few years. I would have to split the money equally between the Luekemia and Lymphoma society because a good friend of mine had lymphoma and they helped her so much. I would also give to a local organization called Pass it Along whom helps the needy families in our area with christmas and food baskets. I would also love to give to St Judes Childrens Hospital and Make a Wish Foundation because they do so many great things for children.

marcymajor
12-10-2008, 03:23 PM
if i could donate to one charity it would be the american diabetes association (if that's what it's called). my father died 22 years ago (he was only 68 years old) from complications from diabetes and my mil suffers from it now. there needs to be more research done to find a cure for this disease so less people will suffer from its effects.

Hedy
12-10-2008, 03:54 PM
I'd split mine between the local soup kitchen my mom volunteers at, as they're a great place, and my alma mater. In these sucky economic times, I like to think that the donation would enable them to provide more aid to students who need it.

Pooh's Pal
12-10-2008, 05:37 PM
Cradles to Crayons A friend sent me their link a few months ago and when I looked at their site they had this on it and it sent shivers up my spine.
Turn off the thermostat, Open the windows, Sleep without blankets...NOW imagine your Eleven!

I'd use the $1,000.00to buy everything from soap and toothbrushes to blankets and coats then donate them. I've been cold before and it stinks! No child should go through that!

zoodoyle
12-10-2008, 05:48 PM
I'd make a donation to the National Multiple Sclerosis Society - one of my closest friends has MS, and while she has been fortunate so far, finding a cure would be amazing!

mmm611
12-10-2008, 06:09 PM
I'd give it to our local Humane Society. I have a soft spot for them as both of my family's dogs came from there (plus a third who went back three days later, but that one doesn't count.)

wilsonfamily4
12-10-2008, 06:15 PM
hmm, this is a hrad one. Every charity now a days is so needing. :(

ALso it would be hard not to give it to the local families in the town that I know need it.

I guess I would give it to Friend of the Family here in town. They work with the local schools and churches finding out who needs help and trying to find people to help them out.

Sahmy
12-10-2008, 06:20 PM
American Diabetes Association

Diabetes runs in our families and has affected us so much.

Blessing and Miracle
12-10-2008, 07:03 PM
Right now it would be any local Houston-Galveston area Shelter. A lot of people don't realize how those affected by Hurricane Ike are still struggling and not receiving the help they need. Ike victims were forgotten about in the midst of the Presidental election and the Fallen Economy. Even those of us with insurance are still being affected. I'm thankful that we still have a livable home, but some are definitely less fortunate than us and lost everything! They still haven't found or recovered over 300 missing people/bodies. For the longest they weren't even looking for them.:(

spring
12-10-2008, 07:04 PM
This is easy for me. I have two three issues that are near and dear to my heart. First, I'd give 1/3rd to the local Soup Kitchen. 2nd, I'd donate 1/3rd to the hospital I work at to benefit the children having surgery. 3rd, I'd give the final 3rd to the local Humane Society from which we adopted our furbaby, Scarlet O'Hairy, this past May.:sunshine:

fanofree
12-10-2008, 07:30 PM
I would have to divide it as well..

Alzheimer's Association - this is a very sad disease; you loose your loved one twice. I work with dementia patients everyday and it is heart breaking.
Local Council of Churches - they provide whatever is needed to those in need; food, clothes, rent, heat, etc.

mindyd2006
12-10-2008, 08:08 PM
I would Donate it to St Jude. My 9 Year Old Daughter had Melanomia on her Scalp they got it all but it was the scariest time of my life. St Jude is such a good Charity and they never turn any one away even if they dont have insurance.

llmedic36
12-10-2008, 08:33 PM
I would have to split it between the Humane society and Make A Wish Foundation. I am a paramedic and see so many little ones that are so sick and I know what good Make A Wish does really puts a smile on their faces but I also have a big place in my heart for neglected and abused animals. I don't understand how anyone could hurt an animal. Lynn

mom2ian
12-10-2008, 09:20 PM
I would donate to Alzheimer's research and to the Baldwin Center (http://www.baldwincenter.org) in memory of my grandfather who passed away in October.

ladyjane98
12-10-2008, 09:24 PM
I would give it to the Salvation Army. There was a time many years ago when I was in need. I'll never forget the box of food that they brought us! It was better than any other Christmas gift. Thinking about it still brings tears to my eyes.

Merry Christmas!!!!:christmas:

Belle
12-10-2008, 10:17 PM
I would donate it to MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Tx for cancer research. Several friends and family members have been treated there.

speechteachri
12-10-2008, 10:50 PM
This is really a tough question for me...there are so many that I would love to have the means to support!!!

I think I would split it between two organizations:

1. the Arctic Mission-a local organization that helps the needy in a really neat way...and I know several people involved.

2. Compassion International...this is an organization we already support, but I would love to be able to do more...it is incredible how much $500 can do in a third world country to improve the lives of children who literally have nothing!

jo93
12-10-2008, 10:52 PM
I would donate it to the "Springfield Rescue Mission", a local homeless shelter.:love:

Iteach
12-10-2008, 11:17 PM
I would donate the money to Make a Wish. During my 30 year career as a 4 year kindergarten teacher I have had the privilege to have 2 families come into my life whose children in my class both had leukemia. One of these children is now in college, the other child in 3rd grade at my school. Both of these families went to WDW through Make a Wish and I was able to experience WDW through the eyes of these children and their families. Truly amazing and inspiring.

luvdisney00
12-10-2008, 11:32 PM
cdiffsupport.com because c-diff is a devastating disease that many people have never even heard of. This is a wonderful web support group that can really help people who are diagnosed with this disease and don't know where to go for help. They could do a lot with $1000 and help a lot of sick people.

mseg16222
12-10-2008, 11:49 PM
THis is a hard one a am a supporter of St Jude's. THere are so many kids out there with no insurance and very rare cancers and other diseases.

But also the American Diabetes Association, which I support too. My mother had diabetes for 25 years and she passed away at 52 years old, after receiving a kidney and pancreas transplant. And with my son having a Growth Hormone Deficiency we see a lot of kids at the Endocrinology Dept at Childrens Hospital Pittsburgh. Such young kids to be dealing with diabetes already.

jen2kids
12-11-2008, 02:03 AM
I would have to say Toys For Tots. Just to see a child's face when they get to open gifts that they normally would not have would make me feel great! I would feel like Santa for a day!!

aknight373
12-11-2008, 08:56 AM
That would also be easy for me...

a local animal shelters I love animals so much, that i try to donate food, towels, toys and treats to them now. There are so many loving animals in those shelters that never have a chance to make it to a good home :( Even if you have a free min and stop by to play outside with one of the bigger dogs to get them out of that cage means a world to them!!!

luvhockey
12-11-2008, 09:51 AM
I would donate it to the Patriot Guard Riders. They do a wonderful service by escorting falllen soldiers from the airport to the cemetery and everything in between. It's a very moving sight.

http://www.patriotguard.org/