PDA

View Full Version : Disney Booking Dining Sept...

MindyMouse
01-13-2009, 11:01 AM
Hello!

We are set to book Disney for September 2009. We are really really hoping for Free Dining just like they have done in the past for September.

Here is my question.... when I book now, do I ask them to put the dining now, so when I call back when the promo comes out they just have to apply the promotion. OR, do I NOT say I want dining now and have them take care of it when the promo comes out.

Make sense?

Also - going to open a Disney Visa Card - sounds like there are some perks (like promos available a few days earlier etc)....

Thanks!
Mindy

Love2Shop
01-13-2009, 12:18 PM
If you are sure you want to go in Sept, I would go ahead and book now. If they do offer free dining, you can just call and have them add the code to your reservation. Just make sure you call and make your adr's right at your 90 mark, to be sure you get the ones you want!

I have a Disney Visa and I love it. They did offer free dining earlier last year to Disney Visa holders. We also got free dining when we went in Dec. There are all kinds of great perks.:D

MindyMouse
01-13-2009, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the response!

I just applied for a Disney Visa Card.. Sounds like a good deal. Can I go ahead and book the trip today - even without the Disney Visa Card in my hand?? I do not need to put the deposit or the trip down on that card - right? And can still take advantage of the discount perks - like dining opening up earlier etc ?

Thanks....

Magical JenK
01-13-2009, 01:27 PM
If you book now, regardless if you book dining plan now or not, they will actually have to re-book your ressie when/if free dining is announced. They won't just add the free dining code to your existing ressie as there are only so many rooms at each discount available & sometimes your ressie may need to change.

For example, one year we had a king bed room at POFQ w/the dining plan, free dining was offered, but we couldn't get the king bed at POFQ any more, we had to move to CSR or take a regular room at POFQ...and I called on the first day. Not the end of the world, but still a bummer. And another year, free dining was offered, we were able to get our same room/resort w/the free dining.

As for getting the free dining w/the Disney Visa...I believe the deposit does need to be on the Disney Visa, otherwise how would they be able to verify you are a Disney Visa holder. Perhaps an additional payment can be put on the card, but I'm not sure. What they could do though, is say you book it now, put the $200 deposit down on another card, free dining is announced, you're now a Disney Visa holder, so you call right away & they re-book you for the free dining & then put another $200 towards your trip & move your original deposit over too. So now you have $400 towards your trip paid. Again, not exactly sure how that would work but I'm guessing you'd have to make some sort of payment on the Disney Visa.

Personally, if you KNOW you're going to go regardless if free dining is announced or not, I'd book. If you are goingly only if they offer free dining, I say just wait until it's announced. If you go to the disboards there are threads upon threads about people asking the same thing as you & many over there get really upset if people are "holding" rooms just in hopes of free dining! :rotfl: Which of course is not the case.

Anyway, I'll be there in September too & I love going that time of year!! Have a great trip & fingers crossed & pixie dust :wizard: for free dining!!

Magical JenK
01-13-2009, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the response!

And can still take advantage of the discount perks - like dining opening up earlier etc ?

Thanks....

I haven't heard anything about dining opening up earlier, last I heard is 90 day window to make ADRs...:(

Love2Shop
01-13-2009, 01:35 PM
Grr....I know I was so excited to book bb for free dining, thinking I would be able to make my adr's before they even announced the free dining promo. Oh well, looks like I will be setting my alarm to book at 90 days. But hey, free dining without the perfect adr's is STILL free dining!:banana:

When we booked in for Dec, we had a trip booked and then I had to make just one payment with my Disney Visa to use the free dining code. So you only have to use it if the offer is for Disney Visa holders only.

Magical JenK
01-13-2009, 01:38 PM
Grr....I know I was so excited to book bb for free dining, thinking I would be able to make my adr's before they even announced the free dining promo. Oh well, looks like I will be setting my alarm to book at 90 days. But hey, free dining without the perfect adr's is STILL free dining!:banana:

But don't you think you'll still get your perfect ADRs at 90 days? Afterall, everyone else will be in the same boat?? That's my thinking anyway...maybe I'm way off & not thinking about something right??

Love2Shop
01-13-2009, 02:01 PM
Hmm, I hadn't really though about that. I actually think the 90 day window is more fair to everyone, because who really wants to make ressies for dinner at six months out? I always end up changing my mind about our plans anyway and then have to call and change my adr's...again.:rolleyes:

We have actually been lucky with adr's, I might have had to keep calling, but eventually I got what we wanted-or close to it. I might just be stressing for nothing because we booked the latest that the bb dates allowed at the time, we were hoping to be there for F&W. I know last year the free dining promo ended well before F&W. We will see when (and if) they announce free dining.

MindyMouse
01-13-2009, 02:08 PM
THanks!!

I called Disney. They said I can go ahead and book now. Put on any of my credit cards. Then in 2 weeks when the Disney Visa comes - they can refund my first credit card and re-put the 200 deposit on my new DIsney VIsa Card.

Either way - we are going in September. Want to go the 9th to 16th. I am told the crowds are next to nothing - do you agree? Plus a lot cheaper then!

The first day (Wed. the 9th) will just be an arrival day and visit Downtown Disney. Planning on staying at POFQ.

Already thinking about places we want to eat. It is only a family of 3 - so hoping we still get the dining choices we want - especially the character dining ones. DD (age 4) really wants breakfast at Cinderella's Castle and I want Chef Mickey. Then want to eat in Canada (hear the steaks are awesome) and at Italy. Those are the big ones we want....

Thanks again!
Mindy

Love2Shop
01-13-2009, 02:28 PM
We went Sept 7-13 last year and loved it. Yes it is hot and probably will rain but it wasn't very crowded. If the Halloween Party is going on that early, I highly recommend going. We definitely want to do that again this year.

I think to eat at the castle (CRT) you can book at 180 days. I would check the DISboards to be sure. I know it is 2 table service credits and if you don't already have the dining plan booked they may charge your credit card for the meal in advance. Also, definitely look into taking your dd to the Bibbity Boppity Boutique, if she is into princesses then she will love it. You can get a dress somewhere else and save a little $$. It's right in the castle you could go before breakfast.

There is also a princess meal at Akershus in Norway that we love and it's only 1 table service credit on the dining plan. The food is good and the interaction with the princesses is great.

Happy planning!:mickey:

MindyMouse
01-13-2009, 02:42 PM
How did you work the CRT Breakfast since it uses 2 Table Service Credits and it is only breakfast? We are planning on eating most of our breakfast in the POFQ Hotel Room - going to bring cereal and other things with and just by Milk. For me I will probably use a snack credit for a bagel - not a big cereal fan like my DH and DD. Someone I know said that some of the Counter Service Meals are big enough for 2 people to share - but not sure of that..... Is it worth it to pay out of pocket for the CRT Breakfast? The CRT breakfast is the only one I am unsure of since it uses 2 credits....

Also.... our first day at the parks is a Thursday and definetly doing Magic Kingdom that day. I believe that day (based off of the past) will be a Morning Early Magic Hours.... Should I take advantage of that OR do the CRT breakfast that first day (maybe around 8am) and miss the Early Magic Hours - assuming I can get into CRT that day. DD was so excited when I said we can eat in Cinderella's Castle!

Thanks again!
Mindy

Magical JenK
01-13-2009, 05:29 PM
September is AWESOME! The week of Labor Day is next to nothing, so you heard right (except the weekends can get a bit busy). We'll be there the 8th-18th!! POFQ is fabulous & you will LOVE it!!

LeCellier (in Canada) is one of our favorites & would recommend for sure!!
As for CRT being 2 TS credits....I agree, it's a bit much for breakfast, but you WILL be able to say you ate IN the castle!! We've only done lunch & I felt the same as you (2 TS credits...no way!!), but it was worth it for the ambiance!!

How about this....call at 180 days for CRT & try for any of your days. If it's meant to be, it will happpen!! Also, we've gone there for lunch & really enjoyed it, so maybe that's an option for you too?? The princesses are there still....just not at dinner.

Oh & some of the CS meals are large enough to split. Using the 2 TS credits for CRT is kinda painful, but there is so much food on the DDP, I think you'll be fine. We usually have a lot of CS credits left over actually.

MindyMouse
01-13-2009, 05:43 PM
Thanks for all of the info! Hopefully the weekend won't be to bad. It is usually A LOT cheaper if I fly from Philadelphia mid week. That is why we picked Wed to Wed. Our plan is to get there on Wed. and just have that as a Travel Day. Check into POFQ and check out Downtown Disney. THen do Magic Kingdom on Thursday (should be a nice quiet day for that....). I heard to stay way from Epcot on Wed and Fridays. So possibly MGM on Friday. Hopefully doing Epcot on Saturday won't be to busy.... Especially if we get there when it opens. Then do Animal Kingdom on Sunday. Since that is a small park - even if it is crowded, we should survive! Then we still have two full days were we can decide which parks we want to go back to - we will get the hopper, so that will help.

Any suggestions on those plans?

Since my daughter is only 4 - some of the big attactions she won't be interested it.... so that should help on the weekend. And I think we can do the single rider line and have each one of us watch her if me and DH want to go on it.

Last time I went - in 2000, We went the week of Labor Day (Sunday to Friday) and the crowds were nothing then! Hopefully the same, and hopfully survive the weekend crowd!

Thanks again! Maybe see you down there!

Mindy

askomsky
01-13-2009, 08:03 PM
the only thing I will tell you knowing the picky eaters your DD and DH are, when the girls and I did the princess lunch in Epcot none of us really ate any of the food, it was quite different even for a hotdog. I took it bc we couldn't get CRT so basically I paid for the girls interaction with the princesses which was fine bc I used SR GC's to pay for it. But I KNOW none of you will not like what type of food they have. :D

MindyMouse
01-13-2009, 08:24 PM
I am planning on doing Chef Mickey (possibly the last morning - Wednesday) and also the CRT Breakfast. Just not sure if I will do it the first morning - Thursday OR the last full day - Tuesday. Both of those days I am planning on spending the day at MK. Just not sure if I will use my Dining Plan Credits on the CRT Breakfast. Possibly use my Gift Cards for that - just not sure how that will work if I don't have them in hand yet, since you need to pay for it when you make the reservation.

I agree - skip the one in Epcot!!

I also found out we get a special pass in Epcot between 1:30 and 4:30 since we are now Visa Card members to see and visit with Characters in a pavillion, which virtually no line! Each day is different characters.

Not sure if I will do any others. 2 Breakfasts are enough. Possibly do the Winnie Pooh dinner in MK....

ligrumpygirl
01-13-2009, 08:47 PM
I also found out we get a special pass in Epcot between 1:30 and 4:30 since we are now Visa Card members to see and visit with Characters in a pavillion, which virtually no line! Each day is different characters.

Just to let you know...you do not need a pass to see the characters. You just need to have your Visa card in hand. Be prepared though...this line does get long! There have been times that I have passed on the free picture because I just couldn't wait on line anymore!

pbhall13
01-13-2009, 09:40 PM
I am planning on doing Chef Mickey (possibly the last morning - Wednesday) and also the CRT Breakfast. Just not sure if I will do it the first morning - Thursday OR the last full day - Tuesday. Both of those days I am planning on spending the day at MK. Just not sure if I will use my Dining Plan Credits on the CRT Breakfast. Possibly use my Gift Cards for that - just not sure how that will work if I don't have them in hand yet, since you need to pay for it when you make the reservation.

I agree - skip the one in Epcot!!

Not sure if I will do any others. 2 Breakfasts are enough. Possibly do the Winnie Pooh dinner in MK....

Don't rule out the Epcot Norway Princess Breakfast. My girls love it......yes they have a 'cold' bar with salmon etc. but the rest is typical breakfast fare......and I don't like breakfast food and I have always left satisfied and tons of princess interaction.