PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Sunshine Scratch Off?

SunshineGirl
01-18-2009, 04:54 PM
I was just looking through the Sunshine Scratch Off stats and noticed that there are people playing every day who do NOTHING else on Sunshine Rewards. For years they have essentially come in every day to play the scratch off and then cashed out when they hit $20. To me, I think that is unfair to those of you who do surveys, offers, shopping, etc. and then get locked out.

I don't want to make it a Super Member only perk, but I wanted to throw it out there to see what the rest of you think. Is there a better way to do it so that people who are truly loyal to SR get to play the free games for money?

bartleby1
01-18-2009, 05:08 PM
I would hate to see it become a supermember only thing, but I understand what you're saying too. Would it be possible to only make it available once a survey or offer is completed for the day? I don't know if that is even possible to work out for SunshineGuy. Just a thought...

SunshineGuy
01-18-2009, 05:17 PM
hmm....you got me thinking. what about only making it available if you have x number of crediting transactions in the last 24 hours (or 48 hours or a week, etc). All crediting transactions would count regardless of amounts (shopping, offers, clicks, surveys, etc) but you have to have a certain number of transactions in a defined window of time...

hmm.

thoughts?

lanny76
01-18-2009, 05:24 PM
I'm not sure what I think abt basing it on a daily transaction. I'm always trying for a survey every day, but this month, I haven't been able to get one at all sometimes - nor do I do offers every day, either. Or shopping either! So even tho I visit SR/forums for multiple reasons every day, I don't always have a transaction for every single day .(- tho I think I probly do for most days!) So to me it seems it would be more fair to base a system like that on having at least 2-5 other transactions over a week's time. Just my 2 cents.
And really, how silly - just do ONLY that one thing and wait for months/years to get 20$!!:rolleyes:Why not do more and get more?!?!

missymouse
01-18-2009, 05:25 PM
Could you tie it into the forum like the games on the forum. It would seem to me that the ones just coming to do the scratch off probably are not forum members. I am not sure about X in the last 24 hours just because some days no matter how hard you try you can't get anything to credit. But if you made it that you had to post something to the forum in the last 24 hours that would be easier to do and it would bring the extra bonus of getting more people involved in the forum so they just might discover how to do the other things. I would think it would take a very long time to earn $20 just by doing the scratch off because even if you managed to get the .03 every single day it would take almost 2 years (666 days)

lanny76
01-18-2009, 05:29 PM
Could you tie it into the forum like the games on the forum. It would seem to me that the ones just coming to do the scratch off probably are not forum members. I am not sure about X in the last 24 hours just because some days no matter how hard you try you can't get anything to credit. But if you made it that you had to post something to the forum in the last 24 hours that would be easier to do and it would bring the extra bonus of getting more people involved in the forum so they just might discover how to do the other things. I would think it would take a very long time to earn $20 just by doing the scratch off because even if you managed to get the .03 every single day it would take almost 2 years (666 days)

I did think abt tying into the forums, too - but then I thot that there are probly some people who just aren't so into posting altho they do lots of other stuff. But one post a day wouldn't be so hard/bad I don't think!

SunshineGirl
01-18-2009, 05:39 PM
I did think abt tying into the forums, too - but then I thot that there are probly some people who just aren't so into posting altho they do lots of other stuff. But one post a day wouldn't be so hard/bad I don't think!

We have that rule in place about the one post a day and it turns out that some people post nothing but the "game" posts like word association and finish the sentence and stuff to play the arcade games. So they don't actually add anything meaningful to the forum either.

On the SR end, we are paying out the money for the scratch off every day no matter who plays. But it just seems to me like there has to be a better way to reward people who actually participate in SR than what we are doing right now.

sammielynn
01-18-2009, 05:46 PM
If you tie it to offers and surveys there would be plenty of days I could not play. I try something every day but some days don't get a credit.

spring
01-18-2009, 05:52 PM
Hmmm.........I totally see your point. It's ashame, with the huge number of SR members, you only see so many active members on here. I definitely feel that SM's should have access to it as they have proved being active just by attainment of that status. As to how to include non-SM's, perhaps the opportunity could be tied to their previous month/quarterly performance. A value of $XX.XX could be set that they must meet monthly/quarterly to have access to the scratch-off. Just as an example, a non-SM might have to have $5.00 worth of activity monthly/ $15 monthly.

I'm not sure whether or not it should be tied to posting on the forum. Not everyone has a comfort level with that. However, if they are doing surveys, shopping and/or paid offers, they ARE contributing to SR.

StitchandPooh'smom
01-18-2009, 05:58 PM
I'm not sure how many members SR has that are not supermembers, so I don't know how many people are getting shut out each day. I'm not crazy about the certain number of transactions per day idea - sometimes things don't credit on the weekend (like surveys), and some days I log in to SR, do the scratch off and paid clicks, try to qualify for a survey or two but don't get any, and that's all my time for the day. Another time frame, like a week or month, might be better.

I have no concept of how much money is paid out through scratch off and how big a deal it is. I wouldn't make it a SM only perk (although I like not getting shut out since I am a SM).

My first thought was to have it tied to a certain earnings level (like SM but smaller) - maybe based on the previous month or quarter? That's kind of like making it a SM perk, but it doesn't eliminate active members who just can't do $100 a quarter. That might be a nightmare to implement, though. Another idea might be to have a smaller number of tickets available to everyone, then offer scratch-off to other members based on transaction amount, earnings, etc.

I think the paid clicks and scratch offs are good to encourage new members, so I'd be wary of eliminating the scratch off. When I first started SR, I probably did just the paid clicks and scratch offs for a while until I figured out how to make money. You can probably tell how new members are using the site, so that might not apply to everyone.

Even when I was not a SM, I didn't think it was unfair to get locked out if I didn't log in early enough. To me, it is a fun game that might get me a penny or two - I make my money on SR other ways. Keeping the scratch off available keeps people coming to the site, and a certain percentage of them will try to do an offer or survey or will make a purchase. The more people that come to SR everyday, the better the chances that they will do something else on the site.

Once again, I don't know how many people are only doing scratch off and how big a deal it is to you financially. If there are only a few people who only do scratch-off compared to the new members who eventually find ways to make money, I'd consider it a minor annoyance and not worry too much about it. If you think it is really affecting SR's viability, then that is another thing entirely. Scratch-off is a draw to people who haven't learned to do anything else yet (and it is fun for the rest of us) - it wouldn't be good long-term to have people stop coming because they haven't figured out the site yet and the few ways that they know to make money are not available to them anymore.

I'm not sure this actually makes any sense now that I have typed it! :rotfl:

DarcyDog
01-18-2009, 05:59 PM
I agree that it's not right that people are getting the benefit of the scratch off game without fully participating in the other parts of Sunshine Rewards. In addition, aren't there only so many scratch offs available per day (unless you're a supermember)? That means some of these people may be playing a game that will then not be available for a regular SR user. Having said that, some days I have better luck than others, so I would hate to be locked out just because of that bad day. Is there some way to look at it on a weekly or monthly basis (e.g., you have to complete so many transactions in a week or month to get to play the scratch off the following week or month)?

Well, gotta run and get my lucky shirt on for the game. Will check back later to see what's going on.

Go Steelers!!

gpp2001
01-18-2009, 06:01 PM
What if you made a lower level Super Member status - but call it something else - like $25 per quarter and then make the Scratch Off available? There's no way that anyone doing only the Scratch Off could get to $25 in a quarter. .03 x 90 =2.70. I'm sure most people on the forums make at least that.

Or $10 per month? Just another idea

mmm611
01-18-2009, 06:18 PM
I also like the idea of a monthly/quarterly total being part of it, or maybe at least one offer/survey/shopping credit. I just wonder if a monthly quarterly total would be discouraging to newbies.

faithhope
01-18-2009, 06:37 PM
It took me a while to figure out the whole offer/survey thing... I was a just click member for a while.
Keep it simple.

Under 1 year member - you get access... no matter if you do anything else or not. Keeps newbies visiting.

Over 1 year member - Did you earn more than $xx amount (not sure what seems fair - $100/year ??) then you get access for another year...recheck on anniversary of their join date. set bit

Over 1 year member - didn't make the cutoff point?? then probably recheck periodically for qualification (weekly? monthly?)

Can display a message for those who don't qualify. Would you like to learn how to earn more money?? visit our forum for earning tips... or something like that.

Hopefully this is simple to program and doesn't put much load on the machine.

I love how you are always updating the program... changing it, making it better.

Iteach
01-18-2009, 06:55 PM
I like the idea of a graduated easing in for members as Faith posted above. It seems that would make it fair for everyone and give an additional incentive to be more active SR member no matter how you do it: surveys, offers or shopping.

I know it may seem like a little thing to some people, although I think most people here understand, but I really look forward to the scratch off every day and I loved when I made super member that I was never locked out. Some days I don't have time to scratch off until I get home from work which may be 8:00 PM, but it's something that I look forward to each day.

StitchandPooh'smom
01-18-2009, 07:04 PM
It took me a while to figure out the whole offer/survey thing... I was a just click member for a while.
Keep it simple.

Under 1 year member - you get access... no matter if you do anything else or not. Keeps newbies visiting.

Over 1 year member - Did you earn more than $xx amount (not sure what seems fair - $100/year ??) then you get access for another year...recheck on anniversary of their join date. set bit

Over 1 year member - didn't make the cutoff point?? then probably recheck periodically for qualification (weekly? monthly?)

Can display a message for those who don't qualify. Would you like to learn how to earn more money?? visit our forum for earning tips... or something like that.

Hopefully this is simple to program and doesn't put much load on the machine.

I love how you are always updating the program... changing it, making it better.

I like this idea too! It doesn't scare off the newbies who might not know what to do yet, and it gives members plenty of time to figure out how to make money.

rumrunnergirl
01-18-2009, 07:12 PM
I joined in 2006 and all I did for 2 years was the scratch off - I didn't know there was anything else! The only money I made was hitting an occasional scratch off, a paid click, a paid email. It was slow going.

That said, all the reward programs I know of do offer something to ALL members on a daily basis, whether it's a trivia question, scratch off, paid click, site visit - whatever.

I think totally locking out those that don't do anything else but the scratch off isn't fair, as then they won't have any way to earn money on SR on a daily basis, and I think they'll give up. Most people are not familiar with how to do offers and even though I offer my referrals a tutorial, they find it overwhelming. I try to get them to do the surveys, but most of them give up before ever reaching $5. I think they need that incentive of the scratch-off, and hopefully it will keep them coming back and they'll check out the site and the forums and decide to do offers and surveys.

piglet-for-me
01-18-2009, 07:20 PM
I joined in 2006 and all I did for 2 years was the scratch off - I didn't know there was anything else! The only money I made was hitting an occasional scratch off, a paid click, a paid email. It was slow going.

That said, all the reward programs I know of do offer something to ALL members on a daily basis, whether it's a trivia question, scratch off, paid click, site visit - whatever.

I think totally locking out those that don't do anything else but the scratch off isn't fair, as then they won't have any way to earn money on SR on a daily basis, and I think they'll give up. Most people are not familiar with how to do offers and even though I offer my referrals a tutorial, they find it overwhelming. I try to get them to do the surveys, but most of them give up before ever reaching $5. I think they need that incentive of the scratch-off, and hopefully it will keep them coming back and they'll check out the site and the forums and decide to do offers and surveys.

I was in the same boat. I had no idea how to go about qualifying for surveys and offers until I read about it in the forums. It took me a long, long time to even think about reading the forums, yet daily I checked to see if there were any paid clicks and played the scratch off game.

My thought is if it can somehow be tied into reading the forums, maybe those who are only trying to scratch off might find there is way more to SR than just the scratch off. I have no idea how to do that - but I do think it it's tied to having to post a reply, it's going to drive people away rather than get them to become more active.

SunshineGirl
01-18-2009, 07:23 PM
I'm definitely hearing some good arguments on both sides. What makes me mad are people that I see who have been members since 2006 and done nothing but the daily scratch off and locked other people out because of it. I do see the value in giving new-ish people the scratch off just to get them involved in the site to begin with. One of the reasons that we now have the most popular offers show up on the scratch off page when people get there and it is already over for the day is to try to show them other ways to make money. It does seem to help a little because a lot of people do those most popular offers FROM that page.

Decisions, decisions!!!!

mmm611
01-18-2009, 07:47 PM
I'm definitely hearing some good arguments on both sides. What makes me mad are people that I see who have been members since 2006 and done nothing but the daily scratch off and locked other people out because of it. I do see the value in giving new-ish people the scratch off just to get them involved in the site to begin with. One of the reasons that we now have the most popular offers show up on the scratch off page when people get there and it is already over for the day is to try to show them other ways to make money. It does seem to help a little because a lot of people do those most popular offers FROM that page.

Decisions, decisions!!!!

I don't know if this is technologically possible or not, but is there any way you could bump up the offers listed by one extra offer for each one in the top 10 (or however many are listed) that the person has already completed? I very seldom check most popular offers because it seems like there are MAYBE two on a page because the others have either been done or are in my pending list. Granted, if this page is showing up to those who do nothing but scratchoff, then it's probably a moot point as most probably haven't done any.

barbaraapple
01-18-2009, 08:18 PM
Anything you do will upset someone our even cause some people not to get to scrath off each day.The true members will bend to your way of thinking...
Good luck in this hard decission of what to do

PSL1013
01-18-2009, 08:30 PM
What if you made a lower level Super Member status - but call it something else - like $25 per quarter and then make the Scratch Off available? There's no way that anyone doing only the Scratch Off could get to $25 in a quarter. .03 x 90 =2.70. I'm sure most people on the forums make at least that.

Or $10 per month? Just another idea

I like this idea...you reach a set amount and you are allowed to play games...be it the scratch off or the forum games.

athoods
01-18-2009, 08:42 PM
Wow alot of good ideas here. You members have really put your heads tigether. Sorry i don't have anything to ad though.

disney_girl
01-18-2009, 09:00 PM
Lots of good ideas and arguments for both sides! I was thinking along the lines of you get so many "free" scratch offs and then after that you have to have completed a survey or offer in order to do the scratch offs. Maybe each month you get so many "free" scratch offs and then after those are up, you only get scratch offs if you have completed x number of surveys or offers during whatever time period or something along those lines. Not sure what the best numbers would be or how easy tracking would be.

askomsky
01-18-2009, 09:04 PM
Hmmm.........I totally see your point. It's ashame, with the huge number of SR members, you only see so many active members on here. I definitely feel that SM's should have access to it as they have proved being active just by attainment of that status. As to how to include non-SM's, perhaps the opportunity could be tied to their previous month/quarterly performance. A value of $XX.XX could be set that they must meet monthly/quarterly to have access to the scratch-off. Just as an example, a non-SM might have to have $5.00 worth of activity monthly/ $15 monthly.

I'm not sure whether or not it should be tied to posting on the forum. Not everyone has a comfort level with that. However, if they are doing surveys, shopping and/or paid offers, they ARE contributing to SR.

I think this idea is probably the best if you want my 2 cents.
Just making it $5 or $10 a month ensures that at least the members who do nothing more then a DS or OTX each day etc has to earn them at least that much.

Decisions, decisions!!!!

I agree, bc to me what in the world is the point just to log in and do a scratch off? To me it would be a waste of time if those people (06 members) are only doing that and then locking out newer members who are just getting the hang of it.

Like others said basing it on a transaction count per day could be tough, but maybe 1-3 transactions per week? To me that is definitely more doable. Again I like Pat's idea or the 1-3 per week, again this is a business decision so I'll support whatever decision you make but I don't think it's unreasonable to ask these members to at least attempt a survey or offer once a week. If they do and get credit then SR is making money and a win/win situation.

bbangel
01-18-2009, 09:11 PM
I like Faith's graduated plan. Have the scratch off available for new people with a pop up screen at the end (win or lose) that directs people to the forum to learn how to make more money. I would give them a couple of months of that.

After the "newbie" period, have the game closed unless there is other activity that quarter (shopping, survey or offer).

In the 2 and half years I've been a member I think I've only made $5 with the scratch game. Can't imagine just coming for that.

askomsky
01-18-2009, 09:16 PM
I like Faith's graduated plan. Have the scratch off available for new people with a pop up screen at the end (win or lose) that directs people to the forum to learn how to make more money. I would give them a couple of months of that.

After the "newbie" period, have the game closed unless there is other activity that quarter (shopping, survey or offer).

In the 2 and half years I've been a member I think I've only made $5 with the scratch game. Can't imagine just coming for that.

I had to go look how much I've made. I've been a member for almost a year and a half and have made 3.26 from scratch off. Loooooong time to wait for cashing out! :D Maybe in 5 yrs I could get $20!

jenvance
01-18-2009, 09:26 PM
I can't imagine that people would come only for the scratch off when there are so many more possibilities. But I think the earnings per month idea is good like $10. That should be easy enough

mollyeilis
01-18-2009, 09:35 PM
I'm not seeing, at all, what the problem is.

It's a tiny little amount. Those members are being relatively punished by only getting maybe 3 cents at a time.

OK I can see that you don't enjoy paying out when they aren't paying in...but then maybe that should cause you to look at the whole concept to begin with. If everything needs to be revenue-generating, then you should go that way, other than contests and such.

Scratch off already favors SuperMembers. If you're not one currently, it definitely favors East Coast people, unless you're a West Coast person who is still up late as one day changes to another day. And I don't buy online all the time, b/c recently things have been better deals in stores :blush: , so I would not like, on a personal level, if things became based on shopping.

I also don't get everything to credit, so I would personally be sad if it was based on things crediting...

If you link it to TRYING to do other things...trying for surveys (would feel more comfy with scratch off linked to trying for surveys than I am with the sweepstakes, which makes me want to take my name OFF that list when I do finally get a survey), trying for offers, etc, that would make me feel more comfy. Because getting things to credit is, after a certain level of cookie/cache clearing and being careful, completely out of our hands.

I can see that it's hard to pay out when people aren't paying in...but to the people doing it (just like people only doing paid clicks on other sites and that's it) it's a tiny, slow little way of getting small amounts of money, and that slowness seems, from my point of view, "punishment" enough.

Just took a look at my account...I've been here...since March of '07, and I have made a WHOPPING 3.86 in scratch off and whatever contests that line on the earnings page is talking about. I do SO, maybe not every day, but most days. So I'm not sure how these people are managing to cash out often by only doing SO! If they are cashing out often just doing SO, you might want to look into that, b/c that sounds fishy to me...

jl8595
01-18-2009, 09:38 PM
I feel a little cranky when I think about the fact that people are logging on just to play the scratch off and shutting out other more active SR'ers. It never dawned on me that people would do that. :confused:

I would fully support a change in the eligibility. Honestly, if these folks are serial 1-3 cent/per day clickers, we may not want to base it on transactions. If they're lucky enough to log in and find that pesky green guy 2-3 times per week, they'll continue to be eligibile and it won't solve anything. I'd lean towards a monthly dollar limit. It sounds like it wouldn't take much to weed out the itty bitty clickers...maybe $5-10 per month? Maybe for new accounts, offer a daily click trial period of 1-3 months?

Tiggerific711
01-18-2009, 09:45 PM
I had to look too, and I must be really bad at the scratch off. I've been a member since January 2006 and I've earned a grand total of $2.52 from the scratch off game. :rotfl:

jl8595
01-18-2009, 09:48 PM
I'm not seeing, at all, what the problem is.

It's a tiny little amount. Those members are being relatively punished by only getting maybe 3 cents at a time.

For me, the biggest yuck point is that people who do pay into the site who might not earn enough to make SM each qtr are being shut out of the scratch off if you have 500 people (for example) logging in to just get the freebie click. If there are only 600 public clicks available and a sizeable amount of them (could be majority, but I don't know) are gobbled up by people who don't do anything else on SR, then yeah, that would make me cranky; especially if I were a West Coast person. Perhaps if those itty bitty clickers were shut out, more would be available for the West Coast folks.

mollyeilis
01-18-2009, 09:50 PM
I can see that point, definitely. Especially on those nights when I go to bed early and am not a staying-up-late west coaster. :)

I really should have changed my post once I looked at my earnings page and focused solely on...it's really WEIRD that someone can cash out just on scratch off, unless they've figured out something that none of us have, or they have insanely good luck.

askomsky
01-18-2009, 09:54 PM
I also have to look at it as "it's free money" that SR is paying out of pocket for and feel lucky to even have another opprotunity to add to my balance. This is something that doesn't have to be there, but it is, so I for one won't look a gifthorse in the mouth.

It is a shame though that more active members who do shop and do surveys even if they don't make SM are losing a chance at something even if it's that small. They're survey's and shopping credits are helping SR therefore the few cents they earn for scratch off is a "favor" in return so to speak.

rumrunnergirl
01-18-2009, 10:18 PM
Yeah, I've been here since 2006 and I've made $2.93 doing scratch-offs. I really don't see how not getting in on time to do a scratch off is going to keep anyone from making SM for a quarter. If I was that intent on making SM, I would get up early/stay up late and get my click in, LOL. Because remember, you don't always get anything with the scratch-off, it's not guaranteed you will click the right square.

Also, it's not like these "scratch-off" only people log on while thinking "yeah, gotta get in and do my scratch off so I can lock others out". They are not being malicious. All they know is that there are 600 clicks per day, and if they want to get online and try to make a few cents at SR, they need to do it early.

Online reward programs are a way for people to make money online. People join these sites to make money, not to be forced to do sign ups. I've heard complaints about people not qualifying for surveys for long time periods, and they find offers overwhelming, so all they know how to do/can do are the simple things like scratch offs, answer trivia, etc. *I* used to be an "itty bitty clicker" until one day I started to check out the site more and read the forums.

Rather than locking them out completely, I think there has to be a better way. What if there are more clicks, but a lesser amount paid out? Or changing the start time, so that it doesn't always re-start at midnight Eastern? I think a link taking "too late scratch-off" people - or heck, EVERYONE, to the forums - after getting to that "sorry, you're too late to click" page, as mentioned before, is a great idea. Otherwise, people just see a "forum" tab and probably think "dead and boring". I think once people get to the forum and start reading it, and seeing how much can really be made here, will make a BIG difference.

missymouse
01-18-2009, 10:18 PM
I have been a member since July 2006 I know the scratch offs were not tracked separately at that time but since they started being their own category on the Current earnings page I have only earned $3.68 on them so I too would wonder if anyone really could just do the scratch off and paid clicks and earn enough to cash out.

Hedy
01-18-2009, 10:27 PM
I'm torn, honestly. I get that the whole locking out members totally sucks, but I was a scratch and click member for nearly 1 year before I got into the game, so I can kind of empathize with them.
Could you set it up that once a person did scratch-off, an offer automatically popped up for them?

rumrunnergirl
01-18-2009, 10:27 PM
Oh - and I do find it strange how anyone can do ONLY scratch-offs and yet have cashed out for $20 unless they got the .03 click EVERY DAY. Doing that, you can make $10.95 per year but I don't see how anyone can get the dollar sign on the first click every single day.

SunshineGirl
01-18-2009, 10:33 PM
Oh - and I do find it strange how anyone can do ONLY scratch-offs and yet have cashed out for $20 unless they got the .03 click EVERY DAY. Doing that, you can make $10.95 per year but I don't see how anyone can get the dollar sign on the first click every single day.

We used to have $10 cash out options. Now the people who only do paid clicks are complaining that we don't have the $10 cash out options anymore because they think it will take too long to get to $20.

mollyeilis
01-18-2009, 10:48 PM
Now the people who only do paid clicks are complaining that we don't have the $10 cash out options anymore because they think it will take too long to get to $20.

omg. They.Are.Not. :eek:

OK now I'm more on your side. Just don't lock me out of scratch offs b/c I don't shop enough right now. :)

(Unless it's just a couple people doing that, while the others remain silent in all ways.)

lanny76
01-18-2009, 10:54 PM
We used to have $10 cash out options. Now the people who only do paid clicks are complaining that we don't have the $10 cash out options anymore because they think it will take too long to get to $20.

oh, good grief!

penn19
01-18-2009, 11:00 PM

Then maybe you won't have to worry about doing anything. Maybe they will get frustrated and just stop clicking all on their own. Then everything is settled.
I mean probably if you asked everyone on here, they would think that some things favor some people and some things favor other people. When i wasn't SM, I don't remember getting locked out of the click thing and thinking darn I got locked out by someone else. I just moved on.

mollyeilis
01-18-2009, 11:16 PM
When i wasn't SM, I don't remember getting locked out of the click thing and thinking darn I got locked out by someone else. I just moved on.

That is true; I don't think that I was locked out by someone else, I just think "whoops I was too late".

jmrdavis99
01-19-2009, 01:39 AM
Well if you based it on surveys, I would probably rarely be able to do scratch off. I'm one of the people that stops by most days & does the scratch off. However, I RARELY qualify for the surveys--I think I have qualified (and completed) 4 since I joined in early November. I look at the scratch off as a consolation prize since I TRY to complete the surveys, but usually don't qualify.

I have done a fair bit of shopping, though, so maybe you need to have one qualifying transaction in a certain time period (weekly or monthly would be fair) to be able to get the scratch off.

crochet4hats
01-19-2009, 06:06 AM
I guess I'm one of the guilty ones -- because I do the scratch off every morning. I do not buy over the internet so I don't shop here. I've tried doing the surveys but everytime I've tried ~~ I do not qualify. Believe me I'd love to earn credit here faster ~~ I'll probably be retired before I hit the $20. I do the paid clicks when I can get them but other than that I haven't been able to find anyway to earn credits. Any help would be appreciated. I've just discovered the arcade recently but since I don't shop over the internet -- I won't upgrade. So maybe I should just drop out now. I can see where you'd be upset that I took someone elses chance to earn a few pennies away. And I don't say that in a mean or nasty way so please don't take it that way. When there was a contest a few weeks back to do surveys ~~ I went through page after page after page only to get frustrated after what seemed like 20 pages or more and by then I was so confused on whether I was still on the same survey or switched to another one that I just gave up. That has happened many times to me too. I belong to a reward program and they offer OTX Surveys too. I used to qualify for them once or two every 2 or 3 months but I haven't qualified for it in years ~~ either here or there.

StitchandPooh'smom
01-19-2009, 08:22 AM
I guess I'm one of the guilty ones -- because I do the scratch off every morning. I do not buy over the internet so I don't shop here. I've tried doing the surveys but everytime I've tried ~~ I do not qualify. Believe me I'd love to earn credit here faster ~~ I'll probably be retired before I hit the $20. I do the paid clicks when I can get them but other than that I haven't been able to find anyway to earn credits. Any help would be appreciated. I've just discovered the arcade recently but since I don't shop over the internet -- I won't upgrade. So maybe I should just drop out now. I can see where you'd be upset that I took someone elses chance to earn a few pennies away. And I don't say that in a mean or nasty way so please don't take it that way. When there was a contest a few weeks back to do surveys ~~ I went through page after page after page only to get frustrated after what seemed like 20 pages or more and by then I was so confused on whether I was still on the same survey or switched to another one that I just gave up. That has happened many times to me too. I belong to a reward program and they offer OTX Surveys too. I used to qualify for them once or two every 2 or 3 months but I haven't qualified for it in years ~~ either here or there.

See, I don't think this makes you "guilty". Everyone has a different comfort level not only with this site, but with the internet in general. I think there can be something for everyone, unless it is really affecting SR's viability. If SR is willing to pay up to 3 cents for 600 clicks a day, I'm not sure it matters who gets those clicks. Before I was SM, I never felt like someone else took my chance - I just needed to get up earlier.

I generally don't do offers because I won't give out my phone number and won't provide a false one. Unless it is an e-mail newsletter or a product I am interested in, I won't do it, which means no MID or Aisle 7 or Consumer Rewards for me because they ask for a phone number. I'll give my real e-mail and my real address, but don't call me at home! It's a different comfort level from some other people, and I have to find other ways to make money. But I do shop online, and I always check here first for what I need.

As far as the surveys (and this might get deleted, but it is meant to be helpful), I have a terrible time qualifying for OTX and only try it a few times a week because I get frustrated starting the same surveys over and over and getting disqualified just like I did the day before. I can always count on the same several surveys to start OTX, but sometimes I get lucky and actually qualify. I have better luck with the Daily Surveys. You can keep trying those as your time allows until you get the "You've successfully completed the study" message. Sometimes I get one on the first try, but I usually have to try several times. There was a dry period for much of the first of the month, but I was able to qualify over the weekend. Daily Surveys seem to be more plentiful in the past few days - you might try again, and remember you can keep trying during the day, even if it says there are no surveys for you.

Hope this helps!

MKCP84
01-19-2009, 08:37 AM
Not sure if this has been suggested, could the scratch off screen come up after you have either completed a survey or did not complete a survey? Sure would be a nice consolation to see that screen come up after you don't qualify for a survey.

StitchandPooh'smom
01-19-2009, 08:48 AM
Not sure if this has been suggested, could the scratch off screen come up after you have either completed a survey or did not complete a survey? Sure would be a nice consolation to see that screen come up after you don't qualify for a survey.

I like that idea, but would it be available to everyone or capped at 600 like it is now?

cdnmickeylover
01-19-2009, 09:06 AM
I would be disappointed if the scratch off was somehow limited. I try the scratch off everyday but don't make a lot of money on it. I also try for a survey everyday and it's a big month when I qualify for 3 surveys. Still I do keep trying. I haven't earned a lot from SR but I don't really expect to. As a Canadian I don't qualify for a lot of the offers. Every once in a while I go through some of them and try to qualify but get an awful lot of "this offer isn't available in your area" pages.

I don't shop a lot on the internet but have shopped through SR once or twice. If I shop at US stores I have to pay very high shipping costs which negates any savings plus with the CDN $$ down at the moment it doesn't make sense. There are a few CDN stores in the shopping section but most I don't shop at in the "bricks and mortar store" so I don't shop at them online either.

While I understand that SR has to make money I would be disappointed if the scratch off (or anything else) was limited because of the amount of transactions I've done (or not done).

I've posted in the forums about making more money as a Cdn and no one has replied to it and made suggestions so it's not like I haven't tried to participate. I knew joining SR that I would be limited in the amounts I could make and that was fine with me. With the talk of these changes though I almost feel unwelcome.

PSL1013
01-19-2009, 09:10 AM

Oh, I like this idea!!! I think more people would try for surveys if they knew they would get the opportunity to do the scratch off and be entered in the second chance sweeps!

speechteachri
01-19-2009, 10:17 AM
I'm not sure how to respond to this without offending someone or other. This will be long...sorry.

I am not a "big" earner here like some are, but I have been around a while, and I consider myself an active member of this community, even when I am not earning a lot. I have been a SM in the past, but I, like others, have had much more difficulty getting surveys and offers to credit as time has gone on. So much so, that I often don't even attempt, because it becomes a waste of my time. Combine that with going back to work full time a little over a year ago, and my time here has significantly decreased...also decreasing my earnings potential.

Even though I am not a big "SM" earner anymore, and able to take advantage of the "perks" associated, SR is one of my first internet stops every morning. I check for paid clicks, do SO (if available), then check into the forum. Many days I do not attempt a survey or any offers due to lack of time or motivation to do so. (love the second chance thing, at least gives me some motivation to try!) I DO shop through SR as often as I can...but I have significantly limited my spending lately, so that has decreased as well. I do also take part, when I can, in forum contests also.

Does the fact that I don't try or complete as many offers or surveys as I used to, make me one of those who "takes advantage" of the clicks and SO...maybe. Maybe the fact that I participate in forum contests without earning a lot otherwise makes me one who takes advantage too...I don't know. (should contests have an earnings limit to participate too?)

My point...am I a big earner, no, not anymore...but I still enjoy my time here, and doing the SO and clicks, as well as participating in the forums are a part of that for me, even though I don't earn a lot otherwise. It gives me the feeling that I still at least can earn something, even if I can't get things to credit, or have the time to sit for an hour to try to qualify for a survey.

While I don't think this whole thread is directed particularly toward those like me who participate regularly in other ways??...I would NOT like to see SO tied to an earnings level. Personally, I have no problem with it the way it is. When you offer something like that there will always be those who take advantage of that earnings potential, whether or not they participate in other ways.

But, I do understand that SR is a business, and that you have to make decisions that help the business to run better and earn more money..that's the point in a business, after all, right? And making it the most fair for everyone is important, I guess...

Please don't misunderstand, I love SR! I am not tying to "dis" it in any way...but this whole thread does make me a little defensive...as if I'm not important because I "take advantage" without earning enough.

Silly that a measley $.03 potential can cause so much of a reaction.

The bottom line for me:

I would rather just see SO stay the way it is, or go away entirely, so that it doesn't seem so much like playing "favorites."

Just my $.02, for what it's worth.

fourfoxesinpa
01-19-2009, 10:52 AM
I was in the same boat. I had no idea how to go about qualifying for surveys and offers until I read about it in the forums. It took me a long, long time to even think about reading the forums, yet daily I checked to see if there were any paid clicks and played the scratch off game.

My thought is if it can somehow be tied into reading the forums, maybe those who are only trying to scratch off might find there is way more to SR than just the scratch off. I have no idea how to do that - but I do think it it's tied to having to post a reply, it's going to drive people away rather than get them to become more active.

Add me to this group. Heck, my member number is 681 so I was here for a long time before I started doing offers and surveys on a regular basis. I just didn't understand how people were making so much money.

I really can't imagine there are enough non-Supermembers who do nothing else on SR and (1) can be one of the first 600 to access the scratch off every day and (2) get .03 on each attempt, thereby allowing them to cash off in two years, to make this a big enough issue to change policies in drastic ways.

In this thread, there are at least 3 members who were clueless on what to do other than the emails and Scratch off. Instead of jumping to a shift in policy, maybe some different tools could be developed to educate newbies and "barely-there" members on how to complete offers or surveys. There are many people who are afraid, for privacy reasons, to participate in forums - it would be very hard to get them to post there for the lure of 3 pennies a day. Something else other than the forum - maybe more emails, blogs, videoblog or instructional podcast to download would help those members realize what SR is about and how to make it work better for them (and, in turn, you.)

I must have 17 referrals who are stuck at less than $2.25 earnings - I don't know who they are so I can't communicate with them but I believe they all came from the now defunct Boomertowne site. If you read the DIS, there are so many people over there who post that they are members and just don't understand how others are earning the money. It seems like a great opportunity for promotion/education. This is what they call a "growing pain."

I believe everyone here became a member because they wanted to make some $ - and it may be that some just might not be sure how to do it.

SunshineGirl
01-19-2009, 11:01 AM
There are definitely a few different issues going on here...

One is education. And Angie is currently working on some videos to help members learn how to make the most of SR. Hopefully that will help people who WANT to make more money be able to do so.

Two is opportunity. For some people, the surveys ARE hard to get for some reason. Hopefully the Second Chance Sweeps is going to help with that. It will at least give people a reason to participate, even if they get kicked out.

Third is the business aspect. I want to be sure that we are being fair to the members who are active at SR in one way or another. That's tricky because there are lots of different ways to "participate"--referring friends, being active in the forum, completing offers, shopping, taking surveys, etc. It's impossible to quantify because we are so multi-faceted.

I'm still on the fence. We may have to do something creative and just mix everything up a little bit to make it different. Just feels like the current scratchc off method has gotten a little stagnant. The same people know when to log in each day to get it and most other people don't even try because they will be locked out. Maybe we need to find a way to randomize when the 600 clicks are available. Might be a hassle for SunshineGuy, but he needs more work anyway. ;)

lanny76
01-19-2009, 11:06 AM
Add me to this group. Heck, my member number is 681 so I was here for a long time before I started doing offers and surveys on a regular basis. I just didn't understand how people were making so much money.

I really can't imagine there are enough non-Supermembers who (1) can be one of the first 600 to access the scratch off every day and (2) get .03 on each attempt, thereby allowing them to cash off in two years, to make this a big enough issue to change policies in drastic ways.

In this thread, there are at least 3 members who were clueless on what to do other than the emails and Scratch off. Instead of jumping to a shift in policy, maybe some different tools could be developed to educate newbies and "barely-there" members on how to complete offers or surveys. There are many people who are afraid, for privacy reasons, to participate in forums - it would be very hard to get them to post there for the lure of 3 pennies a day. Something else other than the forum - maybe more emails, blogs, videoblog or instructional podcast to download would help those members realize what SR is about and how to make it work better for them (and, in turn, you.)

I must have 17 referrals who are stuck at less than $2.25 earnings - I don't know who they are so I can't communicate with them but I believe they all came from the now defunct Boomertowne site. If you read the DIS, there are so many people over there who post that they are members and just don't understand how others are earning the money. It seems like a great opportunity for promotion/education.

I believe everyone here became a member because they wanted to make some $ - and it may be that some just might not be sure just how to do it.

It didn't take me so long to figure out that the forum was a big help to me in earning money - maybe I was a quick learner or something! But I can see how it would be that some would take it slower, and it would be a helpful thing if people could be encouraged to read the forums and find that there is more that they can do and it isn't really so hard to find out how to earn a little more.
And yes, I sort of think all these shifts in policy might serve to drive some away, rather than draw them in more. For myself, I don't mind some of the changes and ones I do mind a little I can still deal with - but then I have been here a while and have some loyalty built up and know the advantages of SR. Some who are newer or less active might feel more like giving up. So whatever is done really needs to be more along the line of promotion/education, like the above poster states. Just my thots, for whatever they're worth!

SunshineGirl
01-19-2009, 11:14 AM
Two things are certain: 1) we are going to keep giving away the same amount of money, and 2) it won't just be for Super Members.

DarcyDog
01-19-2009, 11:20 AM
I've been reading and can understand from where everyone is coming. However, I have to say that I only joined SR in April 2008 and at first was overwhelmed by what it was I needed to do. I didn't think I'd ever get it. But I persevered, read the forums, asked a lot of questions in the forum, and eventually learned what I needed to do. There are still many days when I don't get 1 or more surveys, but I still keep coming back and trying every day.

I guess what I'm saying is that it took a little work on my part to figure out what I needed to do, but I did it. I think the educational videos will be a huge help and I'm sure I will learn something I didn't know before. Whatever the decision is, I will support it, and I'll still be here every day trying for my surveys and doing offers.

Love2Shop
01-19-2009, 11:23 AM
I haven't been here long, so maybe my opinion can still be taken as a newbie. The first month or two after I joined, all I mostly did was the scratch off and paid clicks. It took me a while to figure out how to do other things on here. At first I had a hard time getting offers to credit, and I didn't know about the surveys available. I read the forums, but not everyone who joins is going to do that.
I agree that more info on how to use the site would be great for new members and for some who have been here for a while. I have noticed that when you log in, there are links right on the front page for all the surveys, I think that is great.
I don't think that the majority of people who are scratching off every day, but not doing much else, are trying to take advantage. I really think that they could use more guidance in how to use the site.

bajam
01-19-2009, 11:28 AM
I understand what you are saying, but it's not something bothered me when I wasn't a SM and got locked out of the scratch off. The way I see it is if I am doing surveys, offers and shopping then I am still way ahead of the person who comes here to make at most, 3 cents per day. As others have pointed out, it will take them 2 years to be able to cash out by doing that.

I don't know if you use membership numbers in your business model to get new opportunites, but if you do then those people are helping out SR in that way. They are still active members. I say this not knowing at all if you use these statistics or not.

I rarely get the scratch of right so I guess it doesn't impact me that much. That is the point of view I am coming from.

mdapiggy
01-19-2009, 11:34 AM
Guidence and education or tutorials on the site are a great idea, but only those who really want to earn will bother with them. I work in my families business and the truth is that the people who want to take advantage of any program you offer will and they will be the first ones to complain and also the most vocal. SR is a great site--I have switched to doing all my shopping and such through them because of the forum and the fact that you can ask a question or look for answers to your problems. The daily scratch off is a nice extra but it is not why I am a member. I'm sure my opinions will upset or offened some.

metallicaruler80
01-19-2009, 11:47 AM
I am not a super member, and probably never will be. Though, I do other offers too. I like the sunshine scratch off. Maybe it should be invitational some how to those of us who are not super members, but do participate in other ways. Is there some way to "lock" access to those who nothing other than the sunshine scratch off?

hayloburger
01-19-2009, 11:48 AM
As a newbie (joined March 2008)...the thing that got me started was the Scratch off and the daily clicks....it takes awhile to get the hang of offers/surveys/clearing cookies......it's hard to get in the swing. It probaby took me 3-4 months of trying, getting frustrated, reading all the forums, quitting, and trying again. Now, I have been supermember for the last 2 quarters and will probably continue to be a super member. But, there is a learning curve.

My point is, that Scratch off and daily clicks are a good way to "hook" new people and then as their comfort level rises, they will venture out and find new ways to earn "free" money!! I think it is an incentive for new members to keep coming back and trying.

I think it's fine the way it is, I don't feel bad if I'm locked out....I just move on....AND, if I did feel bad about being locked out, that's just another incentive to be a supemember. I would feel bad if the Scratch Off was for a higher dollar amount and I was locked out, but for 3 cents, I'm okay with it.

BUT, I'm new and I might not understand all the ins/outs either! Just adding my "3 cents"..he he he.

missymouse
01-19-2009, 11:52 AM
I have 12 referrals. Only 3 of them have earned over $5. I often wish there was a way that I could personally help them but often times I don't know who they are. Besides that only a handful of them show up on my referrals so I can only see like 6 of them anyway. I found out a neighbor signed up under me but her name doesn't show up on my referrals. Maybe the others are neighbors too but I can't help them get started.

metallicaruler80
01-19-2009, 12:26 PM
I have read all the posts now - I should have done this before I did my last post. I do have some additional comments. I am not sure how long I have been a member - maybe 2 years. The amount I have made with Scratch Off is only 0.53.

As far as education - it does take some time to figure out how to use this site. Though, like my daily log in to SR, I always do a quick scan of the forums (this is where I have learned the most).

As far as being shut out of the scratch off - yeah I am one of the ones who seem to always be locked out, because I check on things later in the evening (after work hours). I probably would have made more from the scratch off, if I was not locked out. Though it is also not my only reason for checking things out.

Sometimes, it is hard to earn $$ - things I try to do not pay off - despite following advice etc. When I earn 0.01 on the paid clicks - it shows to me that things are still working and gives me faith to keep trying offers.

I hope these comments help.

:)

sabrina90744
01-19-2009, 12:29 PM
As a newbie (joined March 2008)...the thing that got me started was the Scratch off and the daily clicks....it takes awhile to get the hang of offers/surveys/clearing cookies......it's hard to get in the swing. It probaby took me 3-4 months of trying, getting frustrated, reading all the forums, quitting, and trying again. Now, I have been supermember for the last 2 quarters and will probably continue to be a super member. But, there is a learning curve.

My point is, that Scratch off and daily clicks are a good way to "hook" new people and then as their comfort level rises, they will venture out and find new ways to earn "free" money!! I think it is an incentive for new members to keep coming back and trying.

I think it's fine the way it is, I don't feel bad if I'm locked out....I just move on....AND, if I did feel bad about being locked out, that's just another incentive to be a supemember. I would feel bad if the Scratch Off was for a higher dollar amount and I was locked out, but for 3 cents, I'm okay with it.

BUT, I'm new and I might not understand all the ins/outs either! Just adding my "3 cents"..he he he.

I totally agree with this post. THe scratch offs, paid clicks and paid emails are what kept me coming back when I first started it was frustrating at first to try survey after survey and not get anything, those pennies added up and after you reach that first cash out you get motivated to hunt down more money.

SunshineGirl
01-19-2009, 12:31 PM
I just talked to SG and we are leaning toward randomizing what time the scratch off starts fresh every day. That accomplishes a couple of goals:

1) takes away any time zone benefit that some people are getting now
2) helps people who cannot log in from work during the day
3) encourages people to visit SR more often than just midnight Eastern

Then in combination with that we will do some education on how to make the most of SR. That may even include sending some emails to people who onlyl do the scratch off to see if the WANT to learn how to earn more or not and then encouraging them to watch the videos and come to the forum.

I do really appreciate all of the feedback. It's interesting to me to hear what the scratch off means to different people. We started it just on a lark a couple of years ago and (although I have to admit that I haven't even looked at it in over a year) it seems that it is very important to some of our members. :)

fourfoxesinpa
01-19-2009, 12:51 PM
They sound like great ideas. If I could make another suggestion - because it's been so long since I joined, I don't remember anything about the email I got from SR...and this could already be something that's in place...

When a new member signs up, maybe they could get some kind of welcome email that contains links to the "tutoring" on how to complete a survey or an offer. A link to the forum on where to find help would also be helpful. Like I mentioned, most of my referrals have only earned a few pennies after their initial $2 and I wonder how many of them just have no clue what to do.

Thanks for asking for our input - you don't have to do that and it makes us feel "appreciated."

faithhope
01-19-2009, 12:52 PM
Another thought...

Let me start off by saying that SR is my main site, and I love it here.

I must admit I do other sites for clicks. I started SR for the clicks and paid emails (only because I didn't know how to do more). I've seen click sites come and go through the years... And I know that SR is going to be around a long time (You can tell by the information the SR team gives us - they are honest with us. They are also very involved every day, and it is personal to them, and they have a large LOYAL following).

To the point... I don't think all the sites in my click list are going to be around in a year... I know if I was a main member of one of those sites, when I needed to pick a new site to be my main site, I'd probably pick one I was already familiar with via visits and clicks.

I think every site needs a daily game or click or some reason for people to come back every day. But I agree that changing it now and then to freshen up the site is also a good idea...

Maybe a penny for watching the latest video instead of scratch off, when there is a new video. Scratch off isn't available today, but the first xx visitors to watch this video will get a penny. Scratch off will be back tomorrow. Maybe a penny to set up a gift reminder or sunshine saver...
use the click to encourage them to see more of the site, or to learn more about what the site has to offer.

SunshineGirl
01-19-2009, 01:01 PM
Maybe a penny for watching the latest video instead of scratch off, when there is a new video. Scratch off isn't available today, but the first xx visitors to watch this video will get a penny. Scratch off will be back tomorrow. Maybe a penny to set up a gift reminder or sunshine saver...
use the click to encourage them to see more of the site, or to learn more about what the site has to offer.

This is actually something that we have been working in to the new member emails. I think they get .05 now for setting up a sunshine saver plus .05 for joining the forum. We're also changing the sign up process to allow for X for people to complete their demographic information. Angie talked to some folks about that last week. So most people will get like 2.25 or 2.50 when they sign up just for trying things out.

I'd love to find a way to entice people to watch the videos more.

speechteachri
01-19-2009, 01:13 PM
There are definitely a few different issues going on here...

One is education. And Angie is currently working on some videos to help members learn how to make the most of SR. Hopefully that will help people who WANT to make more money be able to do so.

great idea

Two is opportunity. For some people, the surveys ARE hard to get for some reason. Hopefully the Second Chance Sweeps is going to help with that. It will at least give people a reason to participate, even if they get kicked out.

I LOVE the idea of the second chance sweeps, since I am one of the ones who rarely gets surveys.

Third is the business aspect. I want to be sure that we are being fair to the members who are active at SR in one way or another. That's tricky because there are lots of different ways to "participate"--referring friends, being active in the forum, completing offers, shopping, taking surveys, etc. It's impossible to quantify because we are so multi-faceted.

I agree...SR is very multi-faceted....which is why I love it here. There are so many ways to be involved.

I'm still on the fence. We may have to do something creative and just mix everything up a little bit to make it different. Just feels like the current scratchc off method has gotten a little stagnant. The same people know when to log in each day to get it and most other people don't even try because they will be locked out. Maybe we need to find a way to randomize when the 600 clicks are available. Might be a hassle for SunshineGuy, but he needs more work anyway. ;)

Even though cange can be difficult...it's good to shake things up every now and then. I always felt bad for the west coast crowd.

They sound like great ideas. If I could make another suggestion - because it's been so long since I joined, I don't remember anything about the email I got from SR...and this could already be something that's in place...

When a new member signs up, maybe they could get some kind of welcome email that contains links to the "tutoring" on how to complete a survey or an offer. A link to the forum on where to find help would also be helpful. Like I mentioned, most of my referrals have only earned a few pennies after their initial $2 and I wonder how many of them just have no clue what to do.

That's a great idea. Just wish I could get someone willing to give SR a try.

Thanks for asking for our input - you don't have to do that and it makes us feel "appreciated."

One of the best things about SR is the "cameraderie" aspect. I agree...thanks Tricia for always keeping us in the loop and for even asking for our opinions

jl8595
01-19-2009, 01:13 PM

I just want to say ditto - I really truly appreciate that you respect us enough as your members to allow us to share our thoughts and ideas with you. You're a diamond in the rough.

I think randomizing the scratch off is a great idea and an ideal compromise. Perhaps by changing it up you'll be able to see if it impacts the mix of members getting the 600 clicks.

PSL1013
01-19-2009, 01:15 PM
This is actually something that we have been working in to the new member emails. I think they get .05 now for setting up a sunshine saver plus .05 for joining the forum. We're also changing the sign up process to allow for X for people to complete their demographic information. Angie talked to some folks about that last week. So most people will get like 2.25 or 2.50 when they sign up just for trying things out.

I'd love to find a way to entice people to watch the videos more.

I did notice on the "edit your account" page that things were added to fill out....what does filling out this (more personal) information do to help you or me for that matter? I don't mind filling it out, I was just curious as to why you would need this info?

I don't need to be paid for watching new videos, I love watching the new ones when they are put up :D...but maybe sending out an email with .01 to watch would help...getting paid only AFTER the whole video is watched, if that's even possible to do?

SunshineGirl
01-19-2009, 01:25 PM
I did notice on the "edit your account" page that things were added to fill out....what does filling out this (more personal) information do to help you or me for that matter? I don't mind filling it out, I was just curious as to why you would need this info?

Now that we are working with another survey company (the one that we got the "moms over 40 with kids 6-12 who eat candy" survey from), they want to know if we can target certain demographics really quickly. If we know you are a member of that group, we can email you for the quick turn-around surveys.

jnorth1007
01-19-2009, 01:26 PM
Cool I added my latest info.

PSL1013
01-19-2009, 01:33 PM
Now that we are working with another survey company (the one that we got the "moms over 40 with kids 6-12 who eat candy" survey from), they want to know if we can target certain demographics really quickly. If we know you are a member of that group, we can email you for the quick turn-around surveys.

ah ok, thanks!

T1nkrules
01-19-2009, 02:10 PM
Hmmm....I try both the scratch off and paid clicks every day in addition to trying offers and surveys. Sometimes I can't get anything to credit and sometimes I'm on a roll. I haven't been able to get a survey in weeks, Greenfield or OTX, but have done well on offers I appreciate the "pennies" I get from the scratch off and paid clicks when I can get them. So, that is a quandry as to setting rules for the scratch off...I post in the forum when I can, but with my work schedule, posting is always if I can fit it in after getting home after a 10-12 hour work day and taking care of business at home and getting on Sunshine Rewards. I would hate to see the scratch off disappear or be restricted for me....those pennies count-especially at the end of the quarter! :sunshine:

piglet-for-me
01-19-2009, 02:45 PM

Along with surveys being hard to get, I think the message that comes up when you don't qualify the first time is rather misleading. It tells the person to try again tomorrow ---- which isn't really the case. Sometimes I try right away again and end up getting and completing a survey. Other times I try back a little later and there are more options. I know that I believed that message in the beginning - I truly thought that if I didn't qualify the first time, that was my one and only chance for the day. Maybe it would help others if the message said try again instead of come back tomorrow.

Just another idea.

Blessing and Miracle
01-19-2009, 03:12 PM
Okay, I've read most of the posts and some brought up some great thoughts and suggestions. Maybe some of those that only do the SO and cashout do so because they first want to see if SR is a legimate rewards site before they get too involve. At least that was the case for me. I didn't do much of anything until I earned enough to cash out for the first time and actually received my gift card from SR. Now, I'm totally committed and love SR. I participate in every aspect of SR as possible.

With that being said, hopefully, now those that have cashed out once by earning only through SO will now know that SR is legitimate and will invest more of their time. :)

OhMari
01-19-2009, 03:23 PM
I just talked to SG and we are leaning toward randomizing what time the scratch off starts fresh every day. That accomplishes a couple of goals:

1) takes away any time zone benefit that some people are getting now
2) helps people who cannot log in from work during the day
3) encourages people to visit SR more often than just midnight Eastern

Then in combination with that we will do some education on how to make the most of SR. That may even include sending some emails to people who onlyl do the scratch off to see if the WANT to learn how to earn more or not and then encouraging them to watch the videos and come to the forum.

I do really appreciate all of the feedback. It's interesting to me to hear what the scratch off means to different people. We started it just on a lark a couple of years ago and (although I have to admit that I haven't even looked at it in over a year) it seems that it is very important to some of our members. :)

Never knew a game could hold such a large discussion. I remember way back asking us if we were bored looking at the Leprechaun and wanting to know if you should change it.:rotfl:

bbangel
01-19-2009, 04:07 PM
Never knew a game could hold such a large discussion. I remember way back asking us if we were bored looking at the Leprechaun and wanting to know if you should change it.:rotfl:

I remember that. I was all for changing the picture as that laughing leprauchan really gets to me!

MdCaterer
01-19-2009, 05:03 PM
I have to agree with most of the others that doing away with the scratch off for the newer members would be a huge mistake. I too have been a member since Sept 06 and that used to be the most that I did. The second quarter I was a member I became an SM and have been one every quarter since then. My TOTAL scratch off earnings to date are $2.80, $3.32 with emails and $5.74 with paid clicks, not even enough to cash out once. But I had to learn the ropes and see that the sight was legit. There have been some great suggestions I HEARTILY agree that we need a tutorial on how to make money on SR. It couldn't hurt the older members either, usually there is always something we are missing. When SR ran the first contest to sign up members I had 16 sign up but only 3 or 4 make it past $5 and I had no way to contact most of them to help them get over the $5 hump :( (Sad for me but sadder still for SR) Maybe we could have a place for newbies to hook up with an SR buddy to help them get through the first steps of earning money on SR.

I was wondering if for the Scratch Off in addition to the .03, .02 and .01 you couldn't maybe add (a consolation incentive) like "earn an extra .10 if you complete an Aisle 7 offer today" "make up to 3 posts on the members question & answer forum and earn .01 a post"; "Complete 2 surveys today and get a .15 bonus" "complete such & such an offer and get __"; "earn double for a paid offer" ; "make an eBay purchase today and get double credits" or "you have earned a chance in the second chance survey drawing" or "sign up a friend today and earn $3 when they earn $5" "Earn .02 for getting a top 10 score on such and such arcade game" The incentives are limitless and you could maybe get more people to do more things on SR. These would be great motivators, just like the forum games etc. I know it may be a nightmare for SG (sorry) but I think it would be a great motivator for SR members!!! Just my .02

disneynut
01-19-2009, 07:57 PM
It would sadden me to see the scratch off only given to "active participants". I have been here quite a while myself and still consider myself an active member.
But I am afraid I would fall in the guidelines of a non participating member. I also do the scratch off every morning that I can. I don't think I should be punished for that. Is that not what it is there for? I get any click I can also. When I do the scratch off, I certainly do not think of myself as greedy or selfish and taking away from someone else. I have days myself when I don't get to get on in the morning, but just consider it my tough luck.
I have been a super member and a member for sometime. Due to going back to work for the first time in years and 2 kids in school with one in Junior High, I simply do not have the time on my hands to sit on the forums day and night like I used to. Work, homework, baths, cleaning and cooking dinner every night takes most of my time, but I still get my SR fix.
Although I do check SR almost everyday, it is my thing in the morning, grab a cup of coffee and check out SR before I jump in the shower to start my day. I do not post often anymore, time just does not allow. I gave up on surveys. I do offers when I can and get frustrated when they don't credit, but I also understand that is part of it. So it is nice to check daily and If I am lucky enough to correctly get the scratch off to see something credit.
Since I am no longer an "active" forum participant, I miss out a lot of contest and other stuff that is geared towards the forum already.
I also love to play games, have not played as much as I used to and yes some days, If I have nothing to add to the forums, I will post in one of the games thread. I don't like feeling like I am a bother to the forums or to SR.
I have read other boards when the forums started, how people stated they felt all promotions and contests were already geared to the forums and how they did not like that as they did not want to participate in any more forums. I would hate to see you take more away from non forum participants.
Just my opinion and not meant to offend anyone.
Thanks
There went the 10 minutes I had, off to cook dinner. :sunshine:

Love2Shop
01-19-2009, 08:12 PM
Along with surveys being hard to get, I think the message that comes up when you don't qualify the first time is rather misleading. It tells the person to try again tomorrow ---- which isn't really the case. Sometimes I try right away again and end up getting and completing a survey. Other times I try back a little later and there are more options. I know that I believed that message in the beginning - I truly thought that if I didn't qualify the first time, that was my one and only chance for the day. Maybe it would help others if the message said try again instead of come back tomorrow.

Just another idea.

That's true, the page does say try back tomorrow. Also, I know that sometimes when I haven't been able to get an otx in the morning, I have tried back at night and gotten to complete one. Maybe a tutorial on surveys, for new members would help?

sunshinecindy
01-19-2009, 08:50 PM
Guidence and education or tutorials on the site are a great idea, but only those who really want to earn will bother with them. I work in my families business and the truth is that the people who want to take advantage of any program you offer will and they will be the first ones to complain and also the most vocal. SR is a great site--I have switched to doing all my shopping and such through them because of the forum and the fact that you can ask a question or look for answers to your problems. The daily scratch off is a nice extra but it is not why I am a member. I'm sure my opinions will upset or offened some.

I have read all the posts and yours seems to really hit between the eyes. First off, SR is a business, and yes, while we give away "free money", we are in business to make money. Sort of like the casinos, do you really think they lose money just because people hit jackpots, heck no, or they'd have to close their doors. Believe it or not, we do have people who do nothing more then the freebies and scratch offs, period. I'm sure they go from site to site all day long doing this. We also hold contests in the forums for our loyal members, because they do deserve the extra benefits, they are what keeps our doors open and this is our way to tell them we appreciate them. While we are quite aware that people work and can't spend all their time on SR, we have other things they can participate in at their leisure like the trivia contests and scavenger hunts, these they can do when they just have a couple minutes. We will never appease everyone, thats just the nature of the beast. We constantly try to add new ideas, make things seem more fair and provide the best quality of service that we can. We know that the west coasters sometimes get slighted so we try to hold off on contests and games till a little later, but then we have east coasters complaining its past their bedtime, so, its a really hard line to walk, but we do try. We encourage all the newbies with emails and they even have a special place in the forum that you oldtimers can't access, its private just for them. We send out emails and constantly invite new and old members to join in the forum discussions, but you know, we can only do so much, and by your own admittance, the ones that really wanted to learn and participate and earn money have done so, and I love hearing that. I don't speak for Tricia, just for myself when I say all this, cause we all know that I'm the outspoken one here, but sometimes, it becomes overwhelming reading complaints, and seeing petty TT (though there aren't many of these anymore), because we try to be fair, honest and help everyone who joins make money and have fun, and promote friendships. We welcome suggestions, we really do, but please, remember, this is a business too and we can only do so much. I'm not admonishing anyone or trying to tick anyone off with my response, but after reading everyone elses three cents, I thought I'd throw in a few pennies of my own.

bbangel
01-19-2009, 09:18 PM
I had a crazy thought on the bus ride home tonight.
Would it be possible to hide the scratch off page like you do the scavanger hunt stuff? If so you could have a link to the page buried in an offer or survey page so people would need to look for it (and see what you need/want them to see on their search).
Not sure how much more work that would take to move it around but thought it might help people learn the site with a bit of an incentive to encourage them :sunshine:

SunshineGirl
01-19-2009, 10:26 PM
I had a crazy thought on the bus ride home tonight.
Would it be possible to hide the scratch off page like you do the scavanger hunt stuff? If so you could have a link to the page buried in an offer or survey page so people would need to look for it (and see what you need/want them to see on their search).
Not sure how much more work that would take to move it around but thought it might help people learn the site with a bit of an incentive to encourage them :sunshine:

I don't know if I am scared or flattered that you think about SR on the bus ride. LOL! Megan is a Canadian superstar!!

eaglesdare
01-19-2009, 10:34 PM
i for one would hate the daily scratch off removed from all. i have had no luck getting credit for offers for so long i stopped even trying. plus all the spam i got and thru my own fault, having additional charges added to my phone bill.

so i try to do the scratch off every morning. i pretty much do all my shopping thru sr, so i know i am not getting rich off of the daily scratch off, but if i even get the one cent one i am happy. (i mostly get nothing though).

but anyway, i would hate to see it go away for all of us.

mollyeilis
01-20-2009, 01:25 AM

I've been thinking about this all day, and I'm still mystified how these people have cashed out even once, even at the $10 level.

I was talking to hubby about it, and he's mystified too. He wondered if it's really that many people doing it and complaining (and ruining it for others! LOL). Nosey fellow, that Robert.:sunshine:

I realized that the sad part of randomizing scratch off is the loss of the one tradition DS and I have during the day, since he's generally the one who chooses for me. Sniffle sniffle.

mmm611
01-20-2009, 08:51 AM
Tricia, I know this was asked once before, but I don't know if it was ever answered. Since SMs don't get locked out of scratch off, if they do it before the first 600 spots are used, does that impact others ability to scratch off later? I usually try to scratch off after I'm fairly sure those first 600 are gone so I don't take someone else's chance, but I was hoping for clarification.

Thanks.

mia214jia
01-20-2009, 12:29 PM
I was just looking through the Sunshine Scratch Off stats and noticed that there are people playing every day who do NOTHING else on Sunshine Rewards. For years they have essentially come in every day to play the scratch off and then cashed out when they hit $20. To me, I think that is unfair to those of you who do surveys, offers, shopping, etc. and then get locked out.

I don't want to make it a Super Member only perk, but I wanted to throw it out there to see what the rest of you think. Is there a better way to do it so that people who are truly loyal to SR get to play the free games for money?

The only reason why I havent been doing surveys or offers lately are for personnel reasons. I am trying to keep my account active at least and pop in to read the forum when I get a chance.
Please dont take away from us who need to step back for awhile only to get back in to a routine.

JohnZ47
01-21-2009, 03:11 AM
I'd also be sad to see the scratch-off become more exclusive. For me, the scratch-off and clicks were my SR "training wheels". That's what kept me coming back and exploring other areas. That led to my trying out the shopping rebates, then surveys. Recently I started to try out the offers.

Now I'm finally posting the the Forum! :sunshine:

speechteachri
01-21-2009, 07:30 AM
I'd also be sad to see the scratch-off become more exclusive. For me, the scratch-off and clicks were my SR "training wheels". That's what kept me coming back and exploring other areas. That led to my trying out the shopping rebates, then surveys. Recently I started to try out the offers.

congrats on your first forum post!! Welcome!:clap:

StitchandPooh'smom
01-21-2009, 08:22 AM

Welcome to the Forum! :sunshine2:

askomsky
01-21-2009, 08:32 AM
Tricia, I know this was asked once before, but I don't know if it was ever answered. Since SMs don't get locked out of scratch off, if they do it before the first 600 spots are used, does that impact others ability to scratch off later? I usually try to scratch off after I'm fairly sure those first 600 are gone so I don't take someone else's chance, but I was hoping for clarification.

Thanks.
I was wondering that also, I asked a while back and don't think I ever got clarification.

SunshineGirl
01-21-2009, 09:14 AM
Welcome, JohnZ47!!

As for someone else's question, the SM scratch offs are completely separate from the regular 600.

lanny76
01-21-2009, 09:48 AM

Thanks.

i was thinking of this too! glad for the answer above.

lanny76
01-21-2009, 09:49 AM

welcome!!:sunshine:

jaime
01-21-2009, 03:04 PM
I love it and would hate to see it go! I am not currently a SM so it would make me sad if I could not play anymore!

JohnZ47
01-21-2009, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the Welcomes! :)

spring
01-21-2009, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the Welcomes! :)

Hey, welcome to the forums! The more, the merrier!:D

mia214jia
01-22-2009, 09:08 AM
Welcome John!

Tricia~ I do see your point! And Cindy's too. Since I have not been able to active on SR as I should ( personnel reasons I am not comfortable speking of right as of now.) I will respectively NOT scratch off voluntarilly, to let others have a chance. :sunshine:
But as I stated I only tried to click to show I am still here and trying to stay active. I dont not want to lose SR privileges due to things out of my control.

m4travels
01-22-2009, 02:53 PM

Another guy!!!! Welcome, John!

MdCaterer
01-22-2009, 08:35 PM
WOuld any of these ideas work for the scratch off...they could be like you own personal mini contest for the day and it seems like they could get people motivated to do other things on SR
:I was wondering if for the Scratch Off you couldn't maybe add (a consolation incentive) like "earn an extra .10 if you complete an Aisle 7 offer today" "find an SR video about ___ and earn .01", "post a shopping review and get free second chance survey entry", "make up to 3 posts on the members question & answer forum and earn .01 a post"; "Complete 2 surveys today and get a .15 bonus" "complete such & such an offer and get __"; "earn double for a paid offer" ; "make an eBay purchase today and get double credits" or "you have earned a chance in the second chance survey drawing" or "sign up a friend today and earn $3 when they earn $5" "Earn .02 for getting a top 10 score on such and such arcade game" The incentives are limitless and you could maybe get more people to do more things on SR. These would be great motivators, just like the forum games etc. I know it may be a nightmare for SG (sorry) but I think it would be a great motivator for SR members!!! All could be things that had to be completed before midnight or within 24 hours or some other parameter.

keishashadow
01-25-2009, 01:59 PM
I'm not sure what I think abt basing it on a daily transaction. I'm always trying for a survey every day, but this month, I haven't been able to get one at all sometimes - nor do I do offers every day, either. Or shopping either! So even tho I visit SR/forums for multiple reasons every day, I don't always have a transaction for every single day .(- tho I think I probly do for most days!) So to me it seems it would be more fair to base a system like that on having at least 2-5 other transactions over a week's time. Just my 2 cents.
And really, how silly - just do ONLY that one thing and wait for months/years to get 20$!!:rolleyes:Why not do more and get more?!?!

i haven't been able to reach 10 so far this month, figured it was just slow perhaps? no biggie, yet hope my luck improves:)

jmho, just because somebody posts alot doesn't mean they necessarily havae anything particularly relevant to say re SR earnings/hints, etc, could just be social stuff, venting, etc....lots of lurkers probably (as on all boards):confused:...sometimes less is more kwim?

additionally, this is my busy season (tax prep time) im lucky i have time to brush me teeth:rolleyes:let alone spend much time on the 'net:headache:

don't get me wrong, i enjoy SR & depend on the rewards, just that life & free time tends to eb & flow for many of us

rumrunnergirl
01-25-2009, 05:26 PM
We encourage all the newbies with emails and they even have a special place in the forum that you oldtimers can't access, its private just for them. We send out emails and constantly invite new and old members to join in the forum discussions <snip>

I think this is soooo important. I am always trying to get people to join SR, and I encourage them to join the forum (and get paid to do that), read the forum, etc. I offer them tips on how to do signups and tell them which threads to check in the forum for more info. I have 73 referrals and only FIVE have made $3 on their own. I think an email with a link to a tutorial video (or even a webpage for those of us on dial up) would be so helpful. A step by step instruction (the best you can) would be really helpful, IMO, because it seems that they join and get a few cents and give up. Half of my referrals are sitting at $2 and haven't logged in for a very long time. I'd love to see them get active - for my sake and yours, LOL.

memyselfandi
01-28-2009, 09:35 AM
Better late than never but here is my 2cents.

It seems to me that the problem from SR perspective is that there are some people that are cashing out without really participating (bringing in anything for SR). Is there a way to set the cashout only available if your scratchoff amounts are below a certain percentage. Someone that is only cashing out with SO would be at 100%. Someone that did one .80 survey and SO for .80 would be at 50%. Even if you add in the 2.00 for joining and paid clicks those things all are a very small percentage of my total, even though lately I have not been able to do much more than the scratch off and paid clicks.

kvmj
02-01-2009, 04:48 PM
Weighing in really late here. I have been a member for 2 years and made $2.68 on the scratch off game. I am up early so usually get to play the scratch off game.

I think that reserving the game for those who either take a survey or attempt to take a survey is a very good idea. If you don't like that idea, why not see if you can get a sponsor for the game? It shouldn't be a problem for anyone to have to click on a banner, view it for some period of time, and then have the game appear.

Like others, I cannot believe that anyone would spend the years and years it would take to reach payoff by playing the scratch off game.