PDA

View Full Version : Ummm....Guess what I did yesterday??

Magical JenK
01-23-2009, 11:28 AM
I signed up for the 2010 Disney World Half Marathon!! Incase you're all scratching your heads thinking...."Oh, I didn't know Jen was a runner"...rest assured, I'm not. :p So then WHY would I the neverbeenabletorunwithoutfreakingoutbecauseI'mbrea thingtoohard&actuallysweating girl decide to run a half marathon???

Well, I've been thinking about how I have no motivation whatsoever to work out these days. I've been mad at myself for not working out--that doesn't work. I tell myself if I work out today I'll be happier--that doesn't work. I even thought that I could hook up the laptop & catch up on Lost episodes while I'm on the eliptical--that seemed like a lot of work, the couch is WAY more comfy!

So this week, I was catching up on the various Disney podcasts I subscribe to, and all of them were about the Disney Marathon weekend as it just happened a few weeks ago. I was listening to the different people talk about being there as a runner & as a spectator & that really got me thinking....I loved going to marathons to cheer on a friend of mine, it's motivating, but NEVER did I think I would actually DO one. But....that got me thinking....1) talk about motivation...you need to run 13.1 miles....I'm not totally CRAZY...I KNOW there's no way I could do 26.2 miles!! 2) there are plenty of schedules out there that tell you by this week you need to run xxx miles....well, I LOVE lists & schedules & it would be something I could check off while working off these lbs!! 3) it's almost 1 year away, plenty of time to train, & 4) Ok, this should really be #1 reason, but HELLO?! It's DISNEY WORLD :mickey:Marathon!! How cool would it be to do something like this at my favorite place?? Running through the parks? That would be magical!

So, on Wednesday night I asked DH if he'd want to & he said no because of his knees. Thursday morning, I listened to another podcast talking about the marathon & I just really thought...wow, maybe I will do this!! So I got to work & emailed my friend who has done marathons & asked her if she thought I could do a marathon even if I've never been a runner. She replied back, "Oh the Disney one? I'll do it with you." Hahahaha! I never even mentioned Disney, but I guess she knows me pretty well!! She said that it's really hard to get into, so when it opens up in the summer we'll want to register right away....

I went to the site & guess what? It's already open....so I registered!! :blush:

So guess who's going to Disney in 347 days & running 13.1 miles in 348 days?? :sunshine:

Sorry this got so long, but just wanted to share w/my SR friends my crazy & yet my exciting news!! And if you've gotten this far in my novel of a post....HAPPY FRIDAY!! :rolleyes:

gpp2001
01-23-2009, 11:33 AM
Congratulations - that is soo cool!! What a great motivator! Keep us posted on your progress! I need to find some kind of motivation - but I'm not running in a marathon - half or full!!

Good Luck! :banana::banana:

zoodoyle
01-23-2009, 11:43 AM
Wow! That's great Jen!! Wish we could be there in person to cheer you on, but you know we'll be there in spirit!! :clap: And you've just inspired me to get off my butt and get on the bike :sunshine:

m 'n c
01-23-2009, 11:49 AM
Yay Jen! Can you share some of those websites that have how to train for a marathon. I'd love to use some of them to try and start running again.

disney_girl
01-23-2009, 11:51 AM
That's awesome Jen!! I would love to do the half marathon at Disney some day! You can do it!!!

faithhope
01-23-2009, 11:54 AM
WOW Jen! That is fantastic. You go girl!

SunshineGirl
01-23-2009, 12:10 PM
I'm doing a half marathon, too!! Here's the site that I have been using:

http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm

~Kathie
01-23-2009, 12:35 PM
Good for you......signing up for the marathon is a great motivator.

I have a friend who has run it several times. She started off with the half. Her goal was to finish and she did. She said running through the parks was amazing. The year she did it it was freezing in Orlando. The people from warms states/countries had a very hard time running but the people from cold states/countries did great. They were used to running in cold weather.

She has also done the full marathon and and one year she did the Goofy which is the half and the full combined. She did say never again on doing both. :rolleyes:

Good luck and have fun!

wilsonfamily4
01-23-2009, 12:52 PM
I wish you had done it this year while I was there! I would have gone and cheered you on! Good Luck Jen! I think that was a great idea. I know that will be great motivation!

pbhall13
01-23-2009, 01:24 PM
jen

I think that is fantastic. I often think about doing something like this to motiviate me, but alas, it hasn't happened yet....so I will live thru your experience. You go Girl

bbangel
01-23-2009, 01:29 PM
That's a great idea!
I've got it on my list of things to do one day but have never done anything about it. Like you DH I am a bit worried about my knees. When you are successful it will really inspire me to get going!

askomsky
01-23-2009, 01:45 PM
WHoo hoo! Congrats Jen! I run a little but not sure I would be brave enough to run even a half marathon! lol You can do it!!!!!

Weluvdisny
01-23-2009, 02:00 PM
We'll be down there that weekend! I'll cheer you on!:clap::clap:

We thought about doing the Circle of Life 5k at AK but this year it was on a Thursday and we aren't arriving until Friday. I would love to do that though. It's only $40 to enter and my DS's DGF ran 5k for cross country in school this year so she wants to do it too.

Blessing and Miracle
01-23-2009, 02:36 PM
Jen, what would this world be like without you?! :)

Magical JenK
01-23-2009, 02:53 PM
First, thanks everyone! I'm actually, surprisingly very exicted for this!! I know I've surprised many people w/this, but I know they're excited for me too!

I'm doing a half marathon, too!! Here's the site that I have been using:

http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm

THAT'S the site Tricia! I know there are others, but my friend LOVES this one!! When is your half marathon? Have you ever run one before?

Yay Jen! Can you share some of those websites that have how to train for a marathon. I'd love to use some of them to try and start running again.

Mostly the one Tricia mentioned, but I did a search on first half marathon tips & many others came up!!

She has also done the full marathon and and one year she did the Goofy which is the half and the full combined. She did say never again on doing both. :rolleyes:

Good luck and have fun!

Wow!! That's amazing! And I learned last night what a Goofy was!! I don't think I'll ever do that...may try to convince my friend to though so I have someone to run with!!

We'll be down there that weekend! I'll cheer you on!:clap::clap:

AWESOME!! I'll be sure to let you know what I'll be wearing so you can find me!!

Jen, what would this world be like without you?! :) Oh Lisa...the better question is what would the world be w/o YOU in it!! I'm just going to try to run...you, you've had to conquer a lot more than that!! Heck, maybe that will be my other motivation...I'm just trying to run....others have gone through much harder battles & won...I CAN do this!!

SunshineGirl
01-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Mine is in May. The Indy Mini is like the biggest mini marathon in the country or something. It's HUGE. And scary. But I started training for many of the same reasons as you....good motivation to get my butt in gear and keep me on track.

jenvance
01-23-2009, 03:32 PM
Well I am so proud of all of you! Can't wait to hear all about it ")

Love2Shop
01-23-2009, 03:34 PM
Good for you! Keep us posted on your progress!

linanglab
01-23-2009, 03:56 PM
So proud of you Jen! You can do this! And you will be so proud of yourself too!

Sunni
01-23-2009, 05:08 PM
Jen...how exciting! I think it will be a great thing to do. Best part...your favorite place....wow! I look forward to hearing about your journey and when you run....I will be cheering you on!!!! Ra Ra Ra!

eaglesdare
01-24-2009, 10:07 AM
that is awesome! when is your race and what site did you go to for the marathon info?

arob414
01-24-2009, 10:24 AM
That is great! And, like you said how cool to be doing a half marathon in Disney World. And, think what great shape you will be in for touring Disney.

eaglesdare
01-24-2009, 12:16 PM
you are such an enabler! rofl

i just signed hubby up! the full marathon. anything to ensure another trip to disney! :banana:

deana
01-24-2009, 12:28 PM
Wow! I am actually jealous!!! Which is cracking me up because I am not a runner!! Yet somehow you have me wishing I was doing it too!!

So cool! What an awesome inspiration to work out!! Good luck!

Alice28
01-24-2009, 01:57 PM
That is so great! I know some people who are doing it- one runs lots of marathons, the other is a newbie. It really sound fun, and if I wasn't going to disney Thanksgiving week, I would consider it. I'm up to doing 5 miles an hour of walking (I've done it all of twice, but I did it!). Keep us posted on how the training is going- I'm really excited for you!:banana:

Magical JenK
01-24-2009, 10:02 PM

i just signed hubby up! the full marathon. anything to ensure another trip to disney! :banana:

That's awesome!! :cooldance::sunshine: See you there!! Glad you find the info! Did you look at this year's program? It showed the medal...so cute! I also looked on Youtube for videos of the half & the full...it's fun!

I think I may have convinced my dad to join me too!!

fourfoxesinpa
01-24-2009, 10:19 PM

DH is planning on signing up for 2010 full marathon also. He's run 5 in the past and wants to do one more. I told him I'd much rather cheer him on at WDW in January than Philly in November! We just need to get the 2009-10 school calendar to see if it will work for the kids to take a few extra days off.

eaglesdare
01-25-2009, 04:53 PM
my son and i are going in october using the military tickets and discounts. so the january trip will be for my grandaughter and hubby. we are going to probably only be there for that weekend. but i don't mind even a 2 days trip to disney! then in august we are doing the cruise. that year is going to be fantastic.

hubby is starting his running tomorrow. he was going to start today, but just couldn't bring himself to do it.

he is getting on my case about "what i got him into" rofl

when do they come out with the marathon resort special pricing? i think we actually will just end up at the campgrounds.

bbangel
02-13-2009, 02:55 PM
A colleague of mine ran all the WDW marathons this January (5k, half and full - crazy!). She brought in her medals to show me and they made me want to enter! I'm going to try and find a training group here and enter a few local runs and once I'm sure I won't humiliate myself, I'll sign up for one of the Disney marathons!