PDA

View Full Version : Mid-Atlantic/East Coast Meet

missymouse
01-23-2009, 09:14 PM
It seems that August is going to be the best month for the meet. I think we need to figure out where first, then we will figure out when. If it ends up being Hersheypark I think it is April that can get tickets at a discount through her school. the other place suggested was Knoebel's, Washington DC or Six Flags Great Adventure. Vote in the poll for you first choice and then post on this thread your second choice. Majority will determine the place. Sound fair enough?

jenvance
01-23-2009, 09:20 PM
The only place I could go to would be Hershey Park :)

amarazas
01-23-2009, 09:49 PM
My second choice is Hershey Park.

askomsky
01-23-2009, 11:01 PM
Ohh I could go either way so I'm waiting to vote... :) I pick both equally! (Hershey or Knoebels)

fourfoxesinpa
01-23-2009, 11:08 PM
DC is just too far for me for a one day - if I can make it, any of the amusement parks would be fun but Hershey is the closest for me.

eaglesdare
01-24-2009, 09:58 AM
i don't know where knobels is. but i know hershey is just too far for us for the day. great adventure would be ok, i have relatives and could stay with them. would love dc but would not have the slightest idea where to park, and my hubby wants to do "family" trip, so i can't vote for that one.

amarazas
01-24-2009, 10:10 AM
Here is a link to a page that has the location of Hershey Park (A) & Knoebels (B)
http://www.mapquest.com/mq/8-dypWjv_tsEWAu5xf

I'm up for either Park, it doesn't matter to me. We usually hit both of the parks throughout the summer.

As for Knoebels, it is a free park - Free to enter; Free to Park.. you just pay for the rides. On the weekdays, you can purchase a wristband to ride all the rides. Knoebels is level and under shade for the most part. Hershey has some hills, and has the larger rides. I would say that Hershey has more thrill rides, where Knoebel's has more kiddie rides for the kids. But there is enough rides for the larger kids as well at Knoebels.

Hershey is definitely a larger amusement park than Knoebels.

:sunshine2:

missymouse
01-24-2009, 11:04 AM
i don't know where knobels is. but i know hershey is just too far for us for the day. great adventure would be ok, i have relatives and could stay with them. would love dc but would not have the slightest idea where to park, and my hubby wants to do "family" trip, so i can't vote for that one.

What state are you in? Maybe there are others near you that would like to meet up. I know what you are saying though about being too far for a day trip. Knoebel's is a 3 hour drive for me so that is the furthest I would possibly be able to go for a meet. Hersheypark is 1 1/2 to 1/3/4 hours. Like I said in the other thread I am very reluctant to go to Great Adventure because I have heard bad things about the area, and the people that frequent the park. I would not be comfortable letting my kids go do their own thing there at all.

eaglesdare
01-24-2009, 12:06 PM
i am on the eastern shore of virginia. as far east as you can go. about 1 hour from ocean city md, (south).

i have also heard bad things about great adventure. my son is only 9, will be 10, but i will not be letting him wonder around.

if anyone is around that wants to do a meet at ocean city we could also do another meet.

askomsky
01-24-2009, 04:39 PM
How about we look at it a different way?

Is this just a one day trip? How many kids age wise would be coming?

While I think Knoebels is the absolute best for overall cost and it does have a good amount of older kid rides, if we're talking just one day trip Hershey Park is probably better IMHO. If it's an overnighter then Knoebels would be my pick. I'll go to Knoebels regaurdless bc my aunt lives 15 mins away and we always go at least twice over the summer sometimes 3 times.

This for my isn't really about my kids bc they've been to both recently BUT I do have younger kids and they can't go on a lot of the "bigger" rides at Hershey bc of height restrictions. My DD6 wanted to go on so many but couldn't even with an adult. At Knoebels that's not a problem. So again they're not missing out on anything at either place in the sense that they were at Knoebels 3 times last summer and Hershey once. They'll go to both again this year, for me it's really about ME and meeting all of you but at the same time making it fun for everyone.

So trying to figure it from that angle, are we going to have a lot of younger kids or older kids? One day or two?

Just something else to chew on.... Again doesn't matter to me, unless something drastic happens I'll be at where ever we decide on since we'll go anyway.

sqromano
01-24-2009, 04:55 PM
I would have younger kids going on rides (5 & 3), but I don't want to be a stickler about their ages being a deciding factor. I woud prefer a one day trip, so Hershey would be better for me. Traveling overnight with all three kids (youngest is 4 months now) is a lot.

askomsky
01-24-2009, 05:17 PM
I would have younger kids going on rides (5 & 3), but I don't want to be a stickler about their ages being a deciding factor. I woud prefer a one day trip, so Hershey would be better for me. Traveling overnight with all three kids (youngest is 4 months now) is a lot.

yeah well if DH doesn't go you wouldn't have to worry about having "help" with Amy and I, so don't let that deter you. DD5 would love to have a buddy bc she chooses the much slower paced rides then my older two. :)

missymouse
01-24-2009, 05:33 PM
My kids are 17, 14, 11 so Hersheypark is the best for them because they are familiar with it and I could let them just go as a group. My youngest isn't really keen on Roller Coasters so he most likely would stay with me most of the time.

But I am sure there is enough at Knoebels also to keep them entertained and from what I hear about Knoebels I could let them take off there also.

So it isn't what the kids want but there is no way I could go off to a meet without taking them during the summer. For me this would have to be a one day thing. That doesn't mean that some people couldn't stay and meet a second day.

What about once everyone is back in school, is there a place that is somewhat convenient to everyone that we could meet on like a Friday. Somewhere like Gettysburg, Lancaster, Baltimore Inner Harbor, Annapolis, etc. and just have a nice lunch or something.

Maybe if everyone who is interested could post where they are we could find somewhere centrally located. Maybe that would be something like Ocean City. I am just not familiar with OC and what is around there.

I am in Western Maryland west of Baltimore about 45 min.

askomsky
01-24-2009, 06:23 PM
My kids are 17, 14, 11 so Hersheypark is the best for them because they are familiar with it and I could let them just go as a group. My youngest isn't really keen on Roller Coasters so he most likely would stay with me most of the time.

But I am sure there is enough at Knoebels also to keep them entertained and from what I hear about Knoebels I could let them take off there also.

So it isn't what the kids want but there is no way I could go off to a meet without taking them during the summer. For me this would have to be a one day thing. That doesn't mean that some people couldn't stay and meet a second day.

What about once everyone is back in school, is there a place that is somewhat convenient to everyone that we could meet on like a Friday. Somewhere like Gettysburg, Lancaster, Baltimore Inner Harbor, Annapolis, etc. and just have a nice lunch or something.

Maybe if everyone who is interested could post where they are we could find somewhere centrally located. Maybe that would be something like Ocean City. I am just not familiar with OC and what is around there.

I am in Western Maryland west of Baltimore about 45 min.

Remember I was just throwing out other things to think about. Knoebels is defintely a place where the older ones could walk freely without to many worries (outside normal mom worries) and if they've never been then they would probably enjoy it.

I would have to bring my kids also, I was just saying to them or me it wouldn't matter. I'm up for majority rules I was just trying to throw out some things to think about when making a decision. HP may be easier to get to for everyone, but Knoebels has a much more "relax country type" feeling and the prices to match. Again I'm in either way.

I lived near where Great Adventure is and I wouldn't want to go with my 3 bc of their ages unless I had DH with me, same with DC.

missymouse
01-24-2009, 06:33 PM
I am totally in for either Hersheypark or Knoebel's. What I was trying to say is the place is not determined by what the kids want they would be happy either place since it doesn't take much to make them happy. Knoebel's might be better without the big thrill rides because then my youngest wouldn't have to worry about the older ones only riding the roller coasters that he won't ride.

I would like to try Knoebel's once actually since I have heard good things about it.

fourfoxesinpa
01-24-2009, 09:41 PM
I'm in Lanc. Co., PA - smack dab between Harrisburg and Philly.

I hadn't thought about a lunch kind of meet but I kind of like that idea. Although a park sounds like great fun, I think we'd get to talk and spend more time together at a lunch meet. I know my kids will want to play and not sit around with us ladies (They're not old enough to have the run of a park by themselves). It could be something simple like shopping at the outlets at Rehoboth Beach, DE (there's a Disney outlet!) and lunch at Grotto's Pizza (YUM!) or going to the mall at King of Prussia. For those with little kids not yet in school, maybe a day sitter could be arranged and we could just go somewhere, have a nice lunch, maybe do a little shopping, and head back on our way. Just throwing out some thoughts.

missymouse
01-25-2009, 11:48 AM
I'm in Lanc. Co., PA - smack dab between Harrisburg and Philly.

I hadn't thought about a lunch kind of meet but I kind of like that idea. Although a park sounds like great fun, I think we'd get to talk and spend more time together at a lunch meet. I know my kids will want to play and not sit around with us ladies (They're not old enough to have the run of a park by themselves). It could be something simple like shopping at the outlets at Rehoboth Beach, DE (there's a Disney outlet!) and lunch at Grotto's Pizza (YUM!) or going to the mall at King of Prussia. For those with little kids not yet in school, maybe a day sitter could be arranged and we could just go somewhere, have a nice lunch, maybe do a little shopping, and head back on our way. Just throwing out some thoughts.

That was kinda what I was thinking but Rehoboth is too far for me for lunch since it would be a 3 1/2 hr. drive each way. King of Prussia is 2 hrs. and 45 min. so that would be out also. What about Lancaster County- Closer to Harrisburg instead of closer to Philly like the outlets at Hershey how would that be for everyone?

askomsky
01-25-2009, 03:49 PM
That was kinda what I was thinking but Rehoboth is too far for me for lunch since it would be a 3 1/2 hr. drive each way. King of Prussia is 2 hrs. and 45 min. so that would be out also. What about Lancaster County- Closer to Harrisburg instead of closer to Philly like the outlets at Hershey how would that be for everyone?

KOP obviously is a no brainer for me, it's 20 mins from me, but I don't mind traveling and I could swing (especially if it was a Tuesday when DH works from home) babysitting for my kids and going to Lancaster for a meet.

I want what will be convienent for everyone so who ever is coming doesn't have to travel a long time. Harrisburg isn't bad either, about the same distance to Hershey IMHO. What about Reading outlets? Is that any closer? Not as nice as Lancaster but hey if all were looking for is someplace to meet, eat and chat that could work too.

How far for you to travel to Reading?

missymouse
01-25-2009, 04:16 PM
KOP obviously is a no brainer for me, it's 20 mins from me, but I don't mind traveling and I could swing (especially if it was a Tuesday when DH works from home) babysitting for my kids and going to Lancaster for a meet.

I want what will be convienent for everyone so who ever is coming doesn't have to travel a long time. Harrisburg isn't bad either, about the same distance to Hershey IMHO. What about Reading outlets? Is that any closer? Not as nice as Lancaster but hey if all were looking for is someplace to meet, eat and chat that could work too.

How far for you to travel to Reading?

Reading is 2 1/2 hours so that would be 5 hours on the road for me. Lancaster is 2 hours so that isn't much more than Hersheypark. Harrisburg area would definitely be the best for me but that would mean others would have to travel a greater distance. Based on where you live and where I live Hershey is all around the most centrally located. According to Mapquest it is 1 1/2 hours for you and for me it is about 1 3/4 hours. Those living around Lancaster PA would be shorter. There is a Red Robin near the outlets or we could meet at Hershey Lodge at the Bears Den. Tuesdays can be workable for me with advance planning and would be easier after March 15th since most of my IEP's will be done by that time. Fridays are usually always good. I could get there by about 10:30 or 11 am and head back by around 2 p.m.

eaglesdare
01-25-2009, 04:46 PM
oh rehobeth beach de works better for me. but obviously not for everyone else.

i am getting the feeling i am the farthest east and south of everyone else. it takes me about 4 to 5 hours to get to philly pa/cherry hill nj.

now if anyone is interested in gettysburg then i am in, because we are planning a camping trip there, so maybe i could make that time that we meet a camping trip also.

i don't mind traveling a little bit, but not 5 or more hours for a one day trip.

missymouse
01-25-2009, 04:50 PM
oh rehobeth beach de works better for me. but obviously not for everyone else.

i am getting the feeling i am the farthest east and south of everyone else. it takes me about 4 to 5 hours to get to philly pa/cherry hill nj.

now if anyone is interested in gettysburg then i am in, because we are planning a camping trip there, so maybe i could make that time that we meet a camping trip also.

i don't mind traveling a little bit, but not 5 or more hours for a one day trip.

And I am the farthest south and west

missymouse
01-25-2009, 04:59 PM
Actually in going to Elfster and looking at where everyone who has participated in the gift exchange is located the best option that has everyone driving closest to the same distance is Knoebels.

Zoodoyle would be 2 1/2 hours
Askomsky would be 2 1/4 hours
Jenvance would be 2 3/4 hours
missymouse would be 3 hours
amarazas would be 2 hours
fourfoxesinpa would be 2 hours
Arky would be 8 hours to Knoebels or DC
sqromano I am assuming lives near either askomsky or amarazas

I don't know where T1nkrules is located.

Eaglesdare if she stayed with her relatives the night before could come up for the day possibly and it would be 3 hours from Six Flags Great Adventure area.

PBHall and Sunni were considering coming down so for them it would be 6 hours 35 min.

I am assuming that those who expressed interest from farther away are thinking they would spend the night.

It is obvious we are not going to be able to come up with anything that is great for everyone but this looks like the best option.

Jennvance Knoebel's actually looks a little closer for you since Hershey is 3 1/4 hours for you and I hear is it better than Hershey for younger kids.

And ligrumpygirl would only be 3 1/2 hours away should she want to think about joining us.

eaglesdare
01-25-2009, 05:22 PM
is this knoebels off of the pa turnpike? just wondering how i would get there. thinking maybe i could drive to my brothers and maybe spend the night there, then drive to the campsites at knoebels the next day and we would be there for the meet.

if it is an easy route i could handle it. like taking 95 or 295 up north. then the pa turnpike to knoebels. i don't like driving side roads.

hubby is more than likely thinking i am going to be gone a lot this year because he just bought me a new car, so i am ready to go now! hehehe

but if anyone is coming to the east, let me know.

askomsky
01-25-2009, 05:43 PM
Knoebels is only 2 hrs for me ( I take back roads and can make it to my aunts in an hour 45 mins) my aunt lives 15 mins from Knoebels.

You could take the (amarazas may be able to give a better direction) turnpike to 61N and follow that in or 78 or 81 all interstate with very few but straightforward back roads. Not many turns and all same highway when coming off one of the main roads. If we're doing Knoebels they only have weekend hours until mid May I think then they open during the week right around Memorial Day.

Again we could always do a lunch in Lancaster Co with a few then a day in Knoebels or Hershey park?

missymouse
01-25-2009, 05:46 PM
From the area around Six Flags Great adventure to get to Knoebel's

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1qn=Six+Flags+Great+Adventure&1c=Jackson&1s=NJ&1a=1+Six+Flags+Blvd&1z=08527&1y=US&1l=40.143&1g=-74.448699&1v=ADDRESS&2qn=Knoebel's+Amusement+Resort&2c=Elysburg&2s=PA&2a=391+Knoebels+Blvd&2z=17824&2y=US&2l=40.883366&2g=-76.505768

It looks like they are all major roads NJ Turnpike, PA turnpike, I 80

Here is the Knoebel's website http://www.knoebels.com/

missymouse
01-25-2009, 05:53 PM
Again we could always do a lunch in Lancaster Co with a few then a day in Knoebels or Hershey park?

I second that idea. Name the time and place for a mini meet for lunch in Lancaster Co. preferably after March 15th if it would be a Tuesday or anytime from now until summer on a Friday.

I like the idea of Knoebel's in Early to Mid August perhaps or the Friday just before my kids go back to school which would be Aug. 21st. If we wanted to include DH's we could do a weekend day at Knoebel's in the Spring or Springtime in the Park at Hershey. He probably wouldn't be happy but I wouldn't give him a choice.

eaglesdare
01-25-2009, 06:00 PM
oh i did not mean hubby would be going with me, when i mentioned him. :rotfl: my son will be, maybe a grandchild, but more than likely no hubby.

how far is lancaster? would love to go there and get a great breakfast. yummy

i am also open for something on thursdays and fridays. i am homeschooling right now so those 2 week days are ok for me. anyone wanting to meet a bit farther south than philly?

missymouse
01-25-2009, 06:26 PM
oh i did not mean hubby would be going with me, when i mentioned him. :rotfl: my son will be, maybe a grandchild, but more than likely no hubby.

how far is lancaster? would love to go there and get a great breakfast. yummy

i am also open for something on thursdays and fridays. i am homeschooling right now so those 2 week days are ok for me. anyone wanting to meet a bit farther south than philly?

How about Baltimore?

fourfoxesinpa
01-25-2009, 06:35 PM
If Lancaster is the place, let me know and I'd be happy to get back with some lunch options.

eaglesdare
01-25-2009, 08:13 PM
is there some place near the delaware memorial bridge?

missymouse
01-25-2009, 08:23 PM
is there some place near the delaware memorial bridge?

Probably but that is beyond my range for just a lunch type meet since I am in Western Maryland almost due south west of Harrisburg. If that is convenient for others they will let you know.

fourfoxesinpa
01-28-2009, 05:05 PM
Maybe we're all coming from such different directions, we can try to do a lunch meet in spring and fall - maybe one closer to MissyMouse and the other closer to the Del. Mem. Br. (which is only 35-40 minutes from me). I'm always up for more than 1 party!

missymouse
01-28-2009, 06:31 PM
Two lunch type meets one to the west and one to the east and then maybe a meet at Hersheypark or Knoebel's in August sounds great to me. That means some of you get to party three times if you are up for it.

fourfoxesinpa
02-13-2009, 12:36 PM
I didn't want this to fall through the cracks, so just bumping.

What does everyone think about scheduling a lunch meet around Lancaster/outlets in April or May and then somewhere to the east for the fall?
And then, possibly, Hersheypark, for those who can gather in the summer?

missymouse
02-13-2009, 01:16 PM
I didn't want this to fall through the cracks, so just bumping.

What does everyone think about scheduling a lunch meet around Lancaster/outlets in April or May and then somewhere to the east for the fall?
And then, possibly, Hersheypark, for those who can gather in the summer?

That sounds like a wonderful idea to me. I am snowed under a work right now but it should be getting better around mid-march. I can always do a Friday but other days I can manage with advance notice.

fourfoxesinpa
02-13-2009, 01:29 PM
Most Fridays in April or May work for me (with the exception of Good Friday and the day before Memorial Day weekend)

missymouse
02-13-2009, 01:36 PM
Fridays are the best for me, but someone mentioned Tuesday being good for them maybe Amy or April. I will look at the school calendar and confirm when the MSA's are. Then maybe we can pin down a date.

askomsky
02-13-2009, 02:11 PM
That was me on Tuesday's bc DH works from home, but I can just as easily to a Friday. I can keep the girls in after school care at DD5's preschool.
But I would prefer an early brunch then so I can be back for the 315 bus.

sqromano
02-13-2009, 02:36 PM
I could do a Friday, since DS2 and DS4 can stay at school for lunch, or I can see if my mo can get them. I would have to bring DD4mos, but she is so good. Tuesday and Thursday, I will have all the kids, so that is least preferable.

missymouse
02-13-2009, 04:46 PM
That was me on Tuesday's bc DH works from home, but I can just as easily to a Friday. I can keep the girls in after school care at DD5's preschool.
But I would prefer an early brunch then so I can be back for the 315 bus.

Early brunch is fine for me so I could be home by 3:00 also. How about Friday April 3rd or April 17th at say around 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. or so.

amarazas
02-13-2009, 05:26 PM
Early brunch is fine for me so I could be home by 3:00 also. How about Friday April 3rd or April 17th at say around 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. or so.

I'd have to say the 17th, because we do Spring Parties at the school on the 3rd. But I could easily miss it, I've been to all of them since I"m the Homeroom Mom for Samme's. The 17th is Dwight's Bday, but I'll send the items in the morning, so that shouldn't be a problem

missymouse
02-13-2009, 05:56 PM
I'd have to say the 17th, because we do Spring Parties at the school on the 3rd. But I could easily miss it, I've been to all of them since I"m the Homeroom Mom for Samme's. The 17th is Dwight's Bday, but I'll send the items in the morning, so that shouldn't be a problem

It doesn't have to be either of those dates. Just throwing a few out to see if anything works. Maybe we should post a poll

amarazas
02-13-2009, 07:55 PM
It doesn't have to be either of those dates. Just throwing a few out to see if anything works. Maybe we should post a poll

I'm not sure about that, because I"m sure I could come up with a reason why I couldn't do any of the dates..:rotfl: Unless, everyone else can't make those days either.

askomsky
02-13-2009, 10:20 PM
Isn't April 3rd Good Friday? I think my kids may have off, need to check the calendar to be sure. Oh wait Easter is the following Sunday so it would be ok. I think their only off that Mon-Fri this year and go back on Easter Monday the 13th.

Yes I'm correct it's the following week, BUT when checking the calendar I realized it's grandparents day at DS's school which means i need to be around for the grandparents, so I'm out on the 17th. :)

I could do the following Friday which happens to be the day before my bday! :)

amarazas
02-13-2009, 10:29 PM
Yes I'm correct it's the following week, BUT when checking the calendar I realized it's grandparents day at DS's school which means i need to be around for the grandparents, so I'm out on the 17th. :)

I could do the following Friday which happens to be the day before my bday! :)

:rotfl:Just thought.. hmm when is our Grandparents' Day???? Guesss when??? April 24th... :rotfl: I couldn't do April 24th.

missymouse
02-13-2009, 11:33 PM
I think I need to get a life since it seems I am the only one with my schedule wide open.:cry:

askomsky
02-13-2009, 11:50 PM
I think I need to get a life since it seems I am the only one with my schedule wide open.:cry:

Well the only one that doesn't work for me is the 17th but that leaves AMy out the other two days.

Other then a half day May 8th I don't see anything going on in May besides Memorial day that would stop me. What about the 1st?

eaglesdare
02-15-2009, 09:45 AM
does anyone know about how far away gettsburg is from lancaster? just curious, since i could not justify that trip just for lunch, but i might get away with it using the excuse of gettsburg.

i have to be a bit careful right now with how i approach hubby with these trips. i just got away with one to starved rock in ill. (eagle watching). we have disney planned for easter week (my birthday is on easter this year), and may usually starts our camping trips. so if i could combine lancaster with a camping trip to gettsburg i might beable to pull that off.

missymouse
02-15-2009, 10:09 AM
I would guess Gettysburg is just a little over an hour drive or so. Maybe an hour and a half. If you were camping in Gettysburg, I could stop and pick you up at the campground on the way maybe since I have to go through there to get to Lancaster. I have heard good things about Drummerboy campground in Gettysburg but it is near the highway so you get highway noise. Here is the website

http://drummerboycamping.com/

sqromano
02-15-2009, 10:11 AM
does anyone know about how far away gettsburg is from lancaster? just curious, since i could not justify that trip just for lunch, but i might get away with it using the excuse of gettsburg.

i have to be a bit careful right now with how i approach hubby with these trips. i just got away with one to starved rock in ill. (eagle watching). we have disney planned for easter week (my birthday is on easter this year), and may usually starts our camping trips. so if i could combine lancaster with a camping trip to gettsburg i might beable to pull that off.

The Lancaster outlets are only about an hour or 75 minutes from Gettysburg. DH is big into the Civil War, so we have made the trek through Lancaster to the battlefields a few times!

I still have to check on the kids school dates, but I am definitely up for a meet!