PDA

View Full Version : Pop ups on SR?

askomsky
01-26-2009, 10:44 PM
I don't have any other windows open and I was just coming in to check the forum and a window for a coupon for Wal-Mart out of nowhere?

That has never happened to me before? :confused: My pop up blocker is on, and the settings are still right. If it's any help I was in the tech forum for DS's.

m 'n c
01-26-2009, 10:47 PM
Have you done any freebies recently? Sometimes if there is a popup from one of them hanging open I'll start getting random popups. I haven't had any popups today so I dunno.

askomsky
01-26-2009, 10:49 PM
Nope, haven't done any since the weekend and it just happened again and it was for Publishing Clearing house????? :confused:

m 'n c
01-26-2009, 10:50 PM
Weird. Did you notice which banner was at the top of that page before you posted this. I wonder if we can recreate it.

askomsky
01-26-2009, 10:52 PM
Weird. Did you notice which banner was at the top of that page before you posted this. I wonder if we can recreate it.

I'm pretty sure it was the coupons.com one that's up there now.

SunshineGirl
01-26-2009, 11:01 PM
That doesn't make any sense at all. We don't have anything up right now that could have any pop ups. Is it possible that you have picked up some spyware.

askomsky
01-26-2009, 11:03 PM
That doesn't make any sense at all. We don't have anything up right now that could have any pop ups. Is it possible that you have picked up some spyware.

Not sure but I'm going to run a scan right now. As I was typing this another one popped up.
http://discounts.shopathome.com/sah/ist_bx.aspx?ref=56&subid=5324

SunshineGirl
01-26-2009, 11:05 PM
Not sure but I'm going to run a scan right now. As I was typing this another one popped up.
http://discounts.shopathome.com/sah/ist_bx.aspx?ref=56&subid=5324

ACK!!! They are big cheaters that overwrite cookies!!

askomsky
01-26-2009, 11:06 PM
ACK!!! They are big cheaters that overwrite cookies!!

What does that mean>??? I'm running my scan right now.

askomsky
01-26-2009, 11:08 PM
Well it found tracking cookies, some I recognized like OTX etc. I cleared cookies first thing this morning as usual and thankfully I didn't do any shopping today although I did browse Amazon and a few others.
I did do Miss Angies offer for JetJulie but that's it.
I'm cleaning it up now, so I'm really not sure where it's coming from.

askomsky
01-26-2009, 11:12 PM
Ok I cleaned up the original scan but then decided to run it again and it came back with a few more, but I'm not sure if these are related to SR?

admin@doubleclick.net
admin@zedo.com
admin@ad.yieldmanager.com

SunshineGirl
01-26-2009, 11:25 PM
I think it's got to be more than cookies. Maybe a toolbar or download of some kind that is running and you don't know it? If you keep getting popups and try to shop through us, all of your credits will go to shopathome.

askomsky
01-26-2009, 11:37 PM
I think it's got to be more than cookies. Maybe a toolbar or download of some kind that is running and you don't know it? If you keep getting popups and try to shop through us, all of your credits will go to shopathome.

The first two scans were quick scans, I'm running a full one right now. Then I'm going to reboot, I uninstalled something from the other day so when the scan is done we'll see.

Where else could I look to see if shopathome is lurking somewhere?

m 'n c
01-26-2009, 11:40 PM
You can see what is running in the background by pulling up your Task Manager and googling any programs you don't recognize.

askomsky
01-27-2009, 09:19 AM
You can see what is running in the background by pulling up your Task Manager and googling any programs you don't recognize.

Thanks! That's what I did after the two quick scans and I didnt' see anything there that shouldn't be.

I re-booted this morning after all the scans from last night were done. I logged into SR and did scratch off and did another quick scan and the only cookie that's coming up is "admin@linksynergy.com" is that a SR one? I just want to make sure I got it all and that the cookie I do have is ok.

Thanks!

SunshineGirl
01-27-2009, 09:49 AM
Thanks! That's what I did after the two quick scans and I didnt' see anything there that shouldn't be.

I re-booted this morning after all the scans from last night were done. I logged into SR and did scratch off and did another quick scan and the only cookie that's coming up is "admin@linksynergy.com" is that a SR one? I just want to make sure I got it all and that the cookie I do have is ok.

Thanks!

You would get that one if you have clicked on shopping links. If you haven't clicked on shopping links, I don't think even that one should be showing up.

askomsky
01-27-2009, 01:42 PM
You would get that one if you have clicked on shopping links. If you haven't clicked on shopping links, I don't think even that one should be showing up.

Well that one keeps showing up and I tried several things out.
I closed everything down after clearning cookies and ran a quick scan. I had that tracking cookie show up so I "fixed" it. Then with only my email open I ran another scan. Nothing came up. So then I opened IE and my default is google. Ran scan again, again nothing. Then all I did was type sr into my web browser and left it there without logging in and ran another quick scan and the linksynergy was the only cookie there. I did nothing other then typeing www.sunsh then enter when the history came up.

I have to place an order for a gc at Aeropostle so I think I'll "test" it out with that to see if my credit is tracked before I place my nutsonthenet order I want.

SunshineGirl
01-27-2009, 01:50 PM
Well that one keeps showing up and I tried several things out.
I closed everything down after clearning cookies and ran a quick scan. I had that tracking cookie show up so I "fixed" it. Then with only my email open I ran another scan. Nothing came up. So then I opened IE and my default is google. Ran scan again, again nothing. Then all I did was type sr into my web browser and left it there without logging in and ran another quick scan and the linksynergy was the only cookie there. I did nothing other then typeing www.sunsh then enter when the history came up.

I have to place an order for a gc at Aeropostle so I think I'll "test" it out with that to see if my credit is tracked before I place my nutsonthenet order I want.

I would actually do those in reverse. Nutsonthenet CANNOT be overwritten by shopathome because they don't work with. Aeropostale probably does. And we can check the nuts order instantaneously but the aeropostale order may not show up for days.

askomsky
01-27-2009, 01:51 PM
I would actually do those in reverse. Nutsonthenet CANNOT be overwritten by shopathome because they don't work with. Aeropostale probably does. And we can check the nuts order instantaneously but the aeropostale order may not show up for days.

ahhh ok! But if they can't be overwritten then I still won't really know the answer then will I? :confused: