PDA

View Full Version : Q re Norton Firewall & Offers

fourfoxesinpa
01-28-2009, 06:01 PM
OK, I've been going through some old threads and wonder if this could be the reason my pending file is swelling...I have used the computer at different ISPs, use CCleaner and have a new email address so I'm just stumped and am not so techie to figure it out.

This new laptop came with a trial version of Norton Protection Center. I never did anything to the settings at Norton. Before I do offers, am I to go into Norton and change any of the settings, to turn off the firewall, for instance?

If I should do that, can someone walk me through which settings to change?

:thanks: very much!

askomsky
01-28-2009, 06:10 PM
OK, I've been going through some old threads and wonder if this could be the reason my pending file is swelling...I have used the computer at different ISPs, use CCleaner and have a new email address so I'm just stumped and am not so techie to figure it out.

This new laptop came with a trial version of Norton Protection Center. I never did anything to the settings at Norton. Before I do offers, am I to go into Norton and change any of the settings, to turn off the firewall, for instance?

If I should do that, can someone walk me through which settings to change?

:thanks: very much!

I have a new laptop (July 08) with the same thing the trial of norton came with it but when I bought it you could buy the full norton and get it free after rebate. So when the trial was up we installed norton. I have never turned off my firewall, I set my cookies at the beginning and other then getting rid of some spyware the other day the settings stay the same. I would very careful of turning off the firewall, leaving your pc so vulenrable.

I hit a really dry spot a few months back and stopped doing offers for a while, maybe a month and only did a few here and there like the health ones etc. After the holidays I started again and seemed to have better luck?

Just my thoughts.....

fourfoxesinpa
01-28-2009, 06:17 PM
I have a new laptop (July 08) with the same thing the trial of norton came with it but when I bought it you could buy the full norton and get it free after rebate. So when the trial was up we installed norton. I have never turned off my firewall, I set my cookies at the beginning and other then getting rid of some spyware the other day the settings stay the same. I would very careful of turning off the firewall, leaving your pc so vulenrable.

I hit a really dry spot a few months back and stopped doing offers for a while, maybe a month and only did a few here and there like the health ones etc. After the holidays I started again and seemed to have better luck?

Just my thoughts.....

Thanks April - I was just trying to eliminate things and it sounds like the Norton isn't it. I do have my cookies set the right way and I'm not going to touch the Norton settings. I was reading about your spyware popups and if that happened to me, I'd have no clue how to fix it. Glad you got it all fixed up.