PDA

View Full Version : What Would Make You Recruit Friends?

SunshineGirl
02-02-2009, 08:47 PM
We have a little bit of advertising money to spend this month, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to spend it. I could blindly pay for people to sign up for Sunshine Rewards, but history has proven that our best members come as a result of hearing about SR from other members.

So here's the deal. Right now we have a referral program where you can get paid $2 for getting a friend signed up and active. That works fairly well for us. But I want something BIGGER!! What would it take to get you to get your friends here. A big prize? Matching prizes for you and the winner? Suggestions welcome and appreciated. :)

bajam
02-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Honestly, I tell everyone I can about SR. I just don't have much luck with them following through. I even have a SR tutorial that I email to them. In the 2 years I've been here only 5 people have signed up and one of those didn't do anything beyond the first day. For me, it would be better to reward the new member in some way to get them to participate from the start. I'll refer people here for nothing :)

SunshineGirl
02-02-2009, 09:06 PM
Honestly, I tell everyone I can about SR. I just don't have much luck with them following through. I even have a SR tutorial that I email to them. In the 2 years I've been here only 5 people have signed up and one of those didn't do anything beyond the first day. For me, it would be better to reward the new member in some way to get them to participate from the start. I'll refer people here for nothing :)

You raise a good point. I actually have a post on a mom's business board right now for "fresh eyes" to take a look at SR and give me feedback about what draws them in and what pushes them out. It may take some site changes/additions to get people going once they get to the site (however they end up here).

bajam
02-02-2009, 09:11 PM
Maybe a SR tutorial they have to read before signing up? If you don't know the difference between offers and surveys I can see where it would be confusing on the front page. I think a lot of people would be more comfortable starting out with the surveys where you're not giving out your phone number and address. Then when they see that those credit and they trust SR, then they start the offers.

aknight373
02-02-2009, 09:15 PM
i wish i could help more... I have 19 people and only 2 that has done anything, i wish i could figure out how to get them to do more.

speechteachri
02-02-2009, 09:32 PM
I wish I had something to suggest...I talk about SR to everyone! both friends and strangers. And I haven't had one referral in the almost 2 years I have been a member. It's very sad. I think the idea of internet fraud and identity theft scares many of them away, even though I have not had an issue.

faithhope
02-02-2009, 09:47 PM
I finally got a friend to sign up after years of bragging about SR. I love the stack of Disney gift cards I have each year... my friends always ask me how I can go... and I tell them... they are always amazed... but for some reason, only one of my friends has joined.
A few shop on the internet, and I've tried to get them to do only shopping via SR and even that they never follow up on... it hurts to see them not take the money offered by SR...and then whine that they can't go to Disney or out to eat or whatever.
My friends know I'm SR crazy :rotfl: I have the pins, a wonderful canvas bag (can I buy a few more of those??), and other bits of promo merchandise, but they don't follow through...
I'll talk to the one friend who joined to see if she has any ideas.

I'm hoping someone will have a good suggestion.
Thanks Tricia!

askomsky
02-02-2009, 09:48 PM
I agree it's hard to get someone interested and understand how to do it, even starting off small. I guess I'm lucky bc out of the 9 referrels I had 5 made it past the 5.00 mark and 4 are pretty active 1 off and on, 2 very active in the forum and 2 pop in occasionally but know how to use it.

I think certain offers or surveys directed towards them that are easy to do and are quick credits to see their balance jump fast would help the addiction?

m 'n c
02-02-2009, 10:12 PM
I wish I knew. Mike's sister wants to earn disney money and I even went through the whole process of taking screen prints and walking her through how to do the surveys and she hasn't signed up yet. :(

ETA: I probably still have the word document so if anyone wants it let me know and I can email it.

jenvance
02-02-2009, 10:13 PM
I agree with everyone else, I have five referrals but none of them have made it to five dollars, I don't know how to help them get beyond that point, it took me forever to figure out the greatness of this site :)

ligrumpygirl
02-02-2009, 10:23 PM
I just put my link in my Facebook status and got a referral! Do I win a prize? :rotfl: I hope to get a few more...we will see!

Blessing and Miracle
02-02-2009, 10:28 PM
The way I brag and get all excited about SR, you'd think I was the owner. :rotfl:

I think I've overwhelmed some of them by showing them too much at one time but I be so excited. LOL. I think they beleive that they have to do it all each time they log on or something. I try and tell them they don't but it may be too late by then. I may need to change my methods.

SR bag? How can I get one of those?:p

If I think of something, I'll be sure to share it.

dawgsgirl
02-02-2009, 10:29 PM
I just don't know. Everyone knows I do something, but they all kinda think I'm crazy. It took me a while to get the hang of things around here. Usually, when I try to get someone interested, their eyes just glaze over.

rumrunnergirl
02-02-2009, 10:30 PM
I feel your pain. I have 74 referrals and only 5 have made it to $5. Two show up on the big board and I am so proud (even though I've never made it there, LOL). I have a tutorial I mail out to my referrals, I tell them to email me at any time, etc. The main feedback I get is "I don't ever qualify for the surveys" and "it's too hard to figure out how to do a sign-up." Gee, 4 surveys would put them past $5 but they never qualify - in all of 2006, 2007, and 2008 they couldn't get FOUR???

I have been doing online programs since I quit work to become a Mom in 1999. I am motivated to make money - it makes me proud to be able to help contribute to our income. However, I have found that many people expect money to fall from the sky, or they don't want to spend 20 minutes doing a survey when they can spend 20 minutes whining about not having money, KWIM? It's very frustrating.

Ok, enough of *my* whining, LOL. I think a tutorial aimed at new members would be great. Something to help them along. I mentioned this is the scratch-off thread. Something to help them understand surveys, and online shopping, since many people shop eBay, even if they don't do other online shopping. Once they sign up, a way for them to quickly make a few cents here and there so they know SR is not a fly-by-night place. Maybe a clickable link that says "want to know how to do offers" or "what are the hottest offers right now" or "Do you XYZ? Take this survey today and make 75 cents!" or "Take 10 minutes to make 50 cents" or something along those lines.

askomsky
02-02-2009, 10:32 PM
I think I've overwhelmed some of them by showing them too much at one time but I be so excited. LOL. I think they beleive that they have to do it all each time they log on or something. I try and tell them they don't but it may be too late by then.

Lisa I think you hit the nail on the head with part of the problem for some.
What I have done is just get them started on surveys only and at the time there was only 2 available so it wasn't to overwheleming then. I would also email them a few steps and stress to them NOT to attempt offers until they talk to me so i can walk them through one so they understand. Some of my friends who aren't as computer geek like myself knew to call me and have me walk them through it.

rumrunnergirl
02-02-2009, 10:40 PM
That's what I tell people too. If doing offers seems too complicated, just do the surveys. I also tell them that they really need to read the forums and they'll get paid to join the forums, but they need to read them for the tips and tricks and stickies.

PSL1013
02-02-2009, 11:34 PM
I talk about SR all the time to my friends and family. I have two referrals and one of them who is a good friend never made it to $5, she says she doesn't have the time. It's not that no one believes that you can make money here because I've shown them the Disney GC's that I've gotten, almost every single person I talk to says they don't have time to get involved or they don't have the money to spend to shop...all kinds of excuses really. I think they just don't know enough about what to do and how to do it, even though I have offered to show them. I wish I could think of something to get these people who quit soon after joining to do something but I just think that some people just don't want to put the effort into it to learn no matter what you tell them....they are just not interested or they just don't want or need to add something else in their lives, period!! :(

kimntrent
02-02-2009, 11:36 PM
I have 155 referrals and as you know already I only have 41 who have earned over 5.00. It is so hard to get some of them to understand what it is all about and some that it just clicks. I don't know what would get someone to rock and roll on here.

pattip03
02-03-2009, 12:15 AM
maybe if Tricia could send us some magic wands - that might work.
everyone I know is afraid of identity theft. :( I suggest they only start with the daily surveys because they don't need to give out much info and there is no phone number involved, but they just don't do it...
I don't know why, they know I earn lots this way but they still are unsure of this. I wish I could get somebody to try it! They don't know what they are missing. I'll try to recruit again soon, but I need a magic wand - where do they sell them and Tricia or Cindy can you get us a coupon? :type:

mollyeilis
02-03-2009, 12:58 AM
New friends.

chipndale
02-03-2009, 01:06 AM
I think a tutorial aimed at new members would be great. Something to help them along. I mentioned this is the scratch-off thread. Something to help them understand surveys, and online shopping, since many people shop eBay, even if they don't do other online shopping. Once they sign up, a way for them to quickly make a few cents here and there so they know SR is not a fly-by-night place. Maybe a clickable link that says "want to know how to do offers" or "what are the hottest offers right now" or "Do you XYZ? Take this survey today and make 75 cents!" or "Take 10 minutes to make 50 cents" or something along those lines.

I think something along those lines might help. I have 2 referrals and I have pushed and pulled teeth to get one to be somewhat active. The other I can't get to do anything. I have several friends that are always on the computer - I thought that it would be no problem for them but they just don't/won't sign up.

Tiggerific711
02-03-2009, 09:31 AM
I think a tutorial would be great. My sister-in-law Jen is on the verge of joining (she's seen me pay for most of the dining plan in Disney using gift cards I've earned on SR) but something is holding her back. The fact that she lives 2 hours away doesn't help, I can't sit down with her on a regular basis to show her what to do.

Hedy
02-03-2009, 09:55 AM
I feel like I need a new kick. Or something. I've tried to recruit my friends (didn't work) and the DSIL's (all of whom go to Disney), but it hasn't "stuck," for lack of a better term. I don't know if the DSIL's would be more interested in hearing it from a peer, or something...
Two random thoughts-is there any way you could buy ad space on a site like AllEars, or send press releases to Disney bloggers? Or on "Mommy" sites (cashback through ToysRUs or Diapers.com?)
Also, my local TV news station has something called "The Click," where they had a segment on websites. Could you pull info on stations that have something like that and have local SR members contact their stations?

m 'n c
02-03-2009, 09:59 AM
I feel like I need a new kick. Or something. I've tried to recruit my friends (didn't work) and the DSIL's (all of whom go to Disney), but it hasn't "stuck," for lack of a better term. I don't know if the DSIL's would be more interested in hearing it from a peer, or something...
Two random thoughts-is there any way you could buy ad space on a site like AllEars, or send press releases to Disney bloggers? Or on "Mommy" sites (cashback through ToysRUs or Diapers.com?)
Also, my local TV news station has something called "The Click," where they had a segment on websites. Could you pull info on stations that have something like that and have local SR members contact their stations?

I think we should just all buy a gun (real or fake) and hold it to people's heads until they complete a survey. If we did that for a week people would learn that surveys are not hard to do and we could get our referral bonuses. :rotfl:

Pooh's Pal
02-03-2009, 10:08 AM
I wish I had something to suggest...I talk about SR to everyone! both friends and strangers. And I haven't had one referral in the almost 2 years I have been a member. It's very sad. I think the idea of internet fraud and identity theft scares many of them away, even though I have not had an issue.

Funny you say that...cause I JUST sent an email out this morning to a few of my friends...with my link to Sunshine Rewards and I got a response from one person right away asking me if she had to enter a credit card, bank account or pay pal account info to join!

Trying to explain it all to newbies, gets confusing for them.

pbhall13
02-03-2009, 10:29 AM
out of my handful of referels I have 2 that are active (they shop thru SR, but don't do forum)....another one can't seem to get past 3.50 and the other 3 stopped. I did have another friend who used my refereal link but it has never shown up (and I know that shopping wise she would be a big user since she does all the ordering for her law firm) We cannot figure out why it didn't go thru as my refereal (i even walked her thru it)

Most of my friends think I am nuts............my dad would be the only other person who I know would use it (he's a huge shopper) BUT because I have used SR on his computer it declines him as someone new.....is there a way to fix that or am I SOOL?

I will do my best by putting up info on my facebook account as well.......fingers crossed it helps.

Love2Shop
02-03-2009, 11:51 AM
I don't have an answer either. I have told friends about SR but they either don't follow through or say they are too busy.

I finally got my sister interested, but she couldn't sign up because I had used her computer a couple of times. At the time, I didn't know or I never would have used her computer. I didn't realize it wasn't allowed until she went through the sign up process and was rejected.

I am just bummed because if anyone needs a chance to earn extra $$ for Disney, it's my sister.

fourfoxesinpa
02-03-2009, 12:11 PM
No matter how easy something is, the fact is that some people just won't do it. They'll be the same ones who will say they can't go to Disney because they don't have money. I bet they also are the same ones who won't save the Boxtops for Education for the school or the Campbell's Labels but will bellyache that the PTO has too many fundraisers. And they probably won't go to the grocery store and buy $15 worth of Pepsi/Lays products and send in the rebate form to get them for free. They're just not wired that way. :confused:

There are lots of rewards sites out there so it is hard to figure out how to promote SR - how to differentiate it from the others that might pay back a higher percentage - I choose to shop through SR, even knowing the other rates, because I KNOW there is a much better customer service program here and it is trustworthy. How to promote that, I can't offer any suggestions.

Sahmy
02-03-2009, 12:15 PM
How do you add a referral link to Facebook? I tried the SR application I found on there but it didn't work. Do you put it as a posted item?

Thanks for any help!

bbangel
02-03-2009, 02:18 PM
Just saw the new link on the main page explaining SR!

Very good start Tricia! One suggestion may be to link to the pages where things can be found. So the word shopping links to the merchant list (links to forum, survey page etc) so that people have no excuse for not finding their way around.

askomsky
02-03-2009, 02:29 PM
No matter how easy something is, the fact is that some people just won't do it. They'll be the same ones who will say they can't go to Disney because they don't have money. I bet they also are the same ones who won't save the Boxtops for Education for the school or the Campbell's Labels but will bellyache that the PTO has too many fundraisers. And they probably won't go to the grocery store and buy $15 worth of Pepsi/Lays products and send in the rebate form to get them for free. They're just not wired that way. :confused:

Jamie that is sooooo true! I get made fun off bc of the coupon cutting, bargain shopping that I do, then a certain family member would ALWAYS have some sort of comments about it. To then turn around and ask me for advice bc they know I can always try and find the best deal. I've tried to explain to some people MANY times but they just don't get it but will complain how they don't have any money. You can lead a horse to water but you can't force him to drink.

askomsky
02-03-2009, 02:35 PM
Just saw the new link on the main page explaining SR!

Very good start Tricia! One suggestion may be to link to the pages where things can be found. So the word shopping links to the merchant list (links to forum, survey page etc) so that people have no excuse for not finding their way around.

I agree, maybe having a link to the survey's and some of the hottest shopping offers that they can check out. Maybe Cate's screen prints on how to do a survey too?

SunshineGirl
02-03-2009, 02:41 PM
Great ideas!! We are still adding and tweaking. Angie is working on a video to add to the page as well.

kimntrent
02-03-2009, 02:51 PM
You know one of the biggest complaints I get is the crediting issue. I have everyone sign up for the forum right off and several people come back and say they never get credit. I know most of us on here don't have problems with it but when you are new it really is discouraging. When people go shopping and don't know how to file a trouble ticket so they don't bother. It may be nice for them to see that. I know I had to help my sister do her first one. But she was getting so negative with it.

On the other hand I totally agree with the being made fun of for clipping coupons and such but you know they are the first ones to ask how do you get to go to disney for free okay I will try. I say 15 minutes a day will get you where you want to go.

SunshineGirl
02-03-2009, 03:03 PM
One of the reasons that we actually have the credit set up for signing up for the forum the way that we do is that if they follow our instructions and do NOT get credit for signing up for the forum, it is likely that their computer is not accepting cookies. We would rather get that solved right off the bat than after they have done a bunch of surveys, offers, and shopping and we can't get the money for them. Despite us telling people when they sign up that they will not get credit if they do not allow cookies, most people don't bother to check.

JillyFish
02-03-2009, 03:12 PM
I agree with all the reasons already given why people don't sign up or stay active and just wanted to add a couple more.....

I think there is a credibility issue....not with SR specifically, but with this type of site in general. It seems too good to be true that you could earn free money so they assume it must not be "above board."

Also, I know that there are people I have gotten to sign up who are still afraid of being "taken" by an offer or that they will accidentally sign up for something they are not interested in.

And I also think that people just don't want to take the time. They think that they are going to earn as much money as I have by doing clicks and the scratch-off. Those of us who have earned a lot on SR know that it takes more than that. It's not that it's hard, but it does take some time and effort.

I guess teaching people what to do would help some with the second two issues, but I don't know what you do about the credibility.

We all know that the biggest secret to success is being involved in the forum, but people are afraid of that too. Tricia, you already bend over backwards trying to come up with ways to get members into the forum.....I don't know what else you can do.

Is there some non-member or new member group that you could survey to see what is keeping them from joining or earning?

bartleby1
02-03-2009, 03:26 PM
One of the reasons that we actually have the credit set up for signing up for the forum the way that we do is that if they follow our instructions and do NOT get credit for signing up for the forum, it is likely that their computer is not accepting cookies. We would rather get that solved right off the bat than after they have done a bunch of surveys, offers, and shopping and we can't get the money for them. Despite us telling people when they sign up that they will not get credit if they do not allow cookies, most people don't bother to check.

Tricia -
I think many people don't know much about computers and are really afraid to change settings and mess with anything technical. I'm sure many computer users don't know how to clear cookies or check settings and are terrified of changing any security type settings out of fear of picking up a virus.

Maybe you could add something to the signing up for the forum offer that states something about 'if you do not see credit in your account within XXX minutes/hours, your settings may need to be changed' and then give details on what/how to change? Or even have all new users complete a "cookie test" offer. Perhaps if you actually call it that and beginners know that there are fixes available if they don't get credit, they won't give up so easily? That way it gives newbies step by step instructions without having to go search for the answers. Of course, it may already be set up that way! I can't remember because it was a long time ago that I joined!

JillyFish
02-03-2009, 03:59 PM
Great new "how to" addition Tricia.

I just posted my referral link on my Facebook page and I noticed that the link actually takes people to the Member's page, not the Home page. It would be nice for them to see your new additions first thing.

bajam
02-03-2009, 08:38 PM
This may sound stupid, or completely undoable. I know if we sign up our friends we try and show them the ropes of SR. People who make it here on their own are probably completely lost. Is there a way to do a buddy system or something?

I think the new link on the front page is great. I would have LOVED that when I came here the first time. I actually left and didn't join until 6 months later.

Alice28
02-03-2009, 09:47 PM
I wish I knew a good answer. I do have a lot of people I referred (I think 45?) but only 15 got beyond the 5 dollar mark. I do believe some of those 15 are still really great and famous SR members. :angel: :D But honestly, I talk til I'm blue in the face about it to some of my friends, and they just aren't interested in keeping up with it. I don't get it! Esp with stuff as easy as the shopping and the special offers (like Bendaroos, things on TV)- if you're gonna buy it anyway, WHY NOT get cashback????????

bbangel
02-04-2009, 01:53 AM
So someone signed up today because I talked about SR on the DIS but they PM'd me with questions after they signed up so no link. But at least they are asking questions! I gave some general info and then directed them here so hopefully they will follow that advice!

Belle
02-13-2009, 08:41 PM
And I also think that people just don't want to take the time. They think that they are going to earn as much money as I have by doing clicks and the scratch-off. Those of us who have earned a lot on SR know that it takes more than that. It's not that it's hard, but it does take some time and effort.

I know this is the case for a lot of people. I have seen it discussed on a very popular shopping board. People don't want to actually have to visit the SR site to earn money. They want to earn it fast and easy by clicking on the paid emails just like they do with another popular rewards program.

I don't personally know a lot of my referrals who are stuck under $5. Is there a way SR could send them a "we haven't seen you in a while- check out these easy and high paying offers" email to get them going again? Perhaps offer them a little incentive for reaching that $5 in a certain amount of time, or offer them something for taking a survey regarding why they aren't active? I can usually get people to sign up, but I don't know how to keep them active, especially when I don't know them personally. KWIM?

SunshineGirl
02-13-2009, 08:44 PM
I know this is the case for a lot of people. I have seen it discussed on a very popular shopping board. People don't want to actually have to visit the SR site to earn money. They want to earn it fast and easy by clicking on the paid emails just like they do with another popular rewards program.

I don't personally know a lot of my referrals who are stuck under $5. Is there a way SR could send them a "we haven't seen you in a while- check out these easy and high paying offers" email to get them going again? Perhaps offer them a little incentive for reaching that $5 in a certain amount of time, or offer them something for taking a survey regarding why they aren't active? I can usually get people to sign up, but I don't know how to keep them active, especially when I don't know them personally. KWIM?

We actually do send out a couple of emails that follow up. We follow up to get them to the forum as well as to remind them about the site. I think it just isn't for some people.

We lose SOOOO much money on those paid click emails. If you look at the other sites that are largely shopping, they either send out no paid emails at all (you can ONLY earn when you make purchases) or they send out paid emails but they pay out a lower percentage or are missing some of the big merchants (like Checks Unlimited, CSN stores, Oriental Trading Company, Ticketmaster, etc). But it's hard to explain that to people.

Belle
02-13-2009, 08:57 PM
Yeah, some people just want their "money for nothing". ;)