PDA

View Full Version : Adaware-Coupon

fanofree
02-12-2009, 08:15 PM
For the past two days, anytime I come to the forum my McAfee pops up with

McAfee has blocked a potentially unwanted program (PUP) on your computer. If you do not recognize it, we recommend that you remove the program.

About this Potentially Unwanted Program
Name: Adware-Coupon

Spyware, adware, and other potentially unwanted programs can harm your computer, compromise its security, and damage valuable files.

I am offered "remove" "trust" or "close." I can''t remove it while I am still on the forum, it will not let me close the alert, or rather, it just keeps popping up. Sooner or later, the browser stops responding or crashes. Same in IE or Firefox. The only way I can read the forum is to leave the alert up as I am not sure about "trusting" program.

Anyone have any idea what it is? Where is coming from (only pops on SR forum)? Or what I should do?

TIA!!!

SunshineGirl
02-12-2009, 08:23 PM
I would think that the only thing that it could be is the coupons.com banner. Some sites consider the download adware because when you redeem the coupons, it tracks your information. But I hate to just assume that is it and have there be something else on the site.

fanofree
02-12-2009, 09:32 PM
Thanks.

I clicked around for a while - no problem with Eat Better America, SmileBox, Disney DVD, Secret Style or Amazon banners. The one causes the PUP alert does not load but this is part of the URL..

http:frontdoor/coupons.comfds/gu.asp?anVcycNLpAMrRLSMcsdzqMrymo.....

I think you are right - must be the coupons.com banner. I guess that is safe enough to trust. What do you think?

SunshineGirl
02-12-2009, 09:41 PM
I've done as much research as I can on coupons.com and it seems to be okay. A lot of other really reputable companies (including Kroger) are using it as well. So I feel confident that it is okay. But I'm going to keep an eye on it to make sure that they don't slip any kind of spyware in there.

PSL1013
02-13-2009, 11:09 AM
I got the same thing happen to me twice this morning in my McAfee....Adware-coupon detected, when I went to check it out, it had also caught 3 others on 2/6.

fanofree
02-13-2009, 06:47 PM
It is the coupon.com banner. Not very nice of them to be downloading stuff when I didn't even click on it. (I hope it is fairly easy to remove, because I just told McAfee to trust it.)

My McAfee runs a full scan every Friday morning and found it three times today. So, I'm thinking CCleaner is not picking it up. I hope I can remove it at some pint with one of my cleaners.

sammielynn
02-13-2009, 07:55 PM
Same thing happened to me. Nearly drove me mad, I finally trusted it and everything has bee fine.