PDA

View Full Version : Pin Swap anyone?

llgray16
08-15-2007, 10:30 AM
Are there any other Disney pin traders around here? I would love to have a SR pin swap. Anyone else interested?

Hedy
08-15-2007, 10:49 AM
I'd be in, but I'm very much a casual pin collector/trader.

m 'n c
08-15-2007, 11:35 AM
I'm a casual pin collector as well but I don't have any to swap right now. I'll definetly pick up a few extras when we are at disney next year or on disneyshopping next time I order so I can swap.

On a side note has anyone noticed if they are still selling the cuties sets at WDW. Its the 6 baby looking character pins for something like $25 a set? BF and I used those to trade last trip and I wanted to order some for his christmas stocking this year.

llgray16
08-15-2007, 11:50 AM
I'd be in, but I'm very much a casual pin collector/trader.

Me too! I am by no means a die-hard trader. I just collect what I like.

As for traders, I have found a great guy who sells really great traders at a really, reasonable price. I'm pretty sure his id on ebay is Harval1. I have way too many traders (really pins in general) right now so I haven't bought from him since late last year. I don't remember seeing the Cutie sets when we were in WDW in May but I'll take a look in Sept. for you, m 'n c :)

bs4free
08-15-2007, 12:15 PM
Did some one say pins!!!!!

Me love Pins! Esp. Chip and Dale pins!!!!!!!!!!

A SR pin swap sounds like a good idea.

I have not gone out and bought traders in a long time! I just by cheap 4 packs, or myster packs that might or do a chip and dale pin i want need, and all the others as i call them go in to the pile to be traded! Which means since i have been to the big epcot pin event a few times, and i get some of the mystery sets off DisneyShopping i have a lot of LE 1000 or less pins that i use for traders!

Now on to the cuties, i do not know if they are still carried in the parks, but i do belive this aug/sep they are relesing a pirates cutie pack very similar to the 6/$25 they had before!

Mom2aPrincess
08-16-2007, 12:18 AM
I'd join in and sign Cameron up too...we only do casual pin trading. I buy lots off of ebay before we go. I just got a great set last month and I plan to order from him again. I'll go look up the name right now.

It's travelinwynns. I'd highly recommend these lots. My pins are great quality! ANd I was pleased as they aren't the ones that we usually look for so they are "Trading" pins...last time I bought a lot, I received them and we liked most of them!! :rotfl:

BTW..if anyone is a member of DISboards, we have a pin exchange going on right now over there...

m 'n c
08-16-2007, 12:20 AM
ooh pirates cuties sounds like a cool thing. I might have to call up and see what wdw has to offer.

bs4free
08-16-2007, 12:52 AM
ooh pirates cuties sounds like a cool thing. I might have to call up and see what wdw has to offer.

Here is the info you needed!

http://eventservices.disney.go.com/files/10964244.jpg
Name:
"Pirates of the Caribbean - Cute Characters - Mini Pin Boxed Set"
Release Date:
07/03/07
SKU:
Retail:
$29.95

This seven (7) piece Open Edition Mini Pin Boxed set features Mickey and the gang as Cute Characters dressed as pirates from Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean. Artwork for this set was created by Disney Design Group Artists Garret Webb and Paola Gutierrez.
To order this pin:

Contact Walt Disney World® Merchandise Guest Services at 407-363-6200 or send an e-mail: wdw.mail.order@disneyworld.com (%20wdw.mail.order@disneyworld.com?subject=Attn:%2 0Pins/Kathy) to place an order.
Please reference the SKU number(s), description of the pin(s) and quantity desired.
Open Edition pins available for order after release date.
Applicable sales tax plus shipping and handling fees will apply.
All pins will be available while supplies last.
All sales are final - no refunds, no returns via Walt Disney World® Mail Order.
All Limited Edition pins may not be available for ordering via Walt Disney World® Mail Order at time of inquiry.Please Note - All information is subject to change including but not limited to artwork, release dates, edition sizes and retail prices.

nolacindy
08-16-2007, 07:37 AM
Those are the cutest things I have ever seen!!!!! I hope they still have them when we go in december.

speechteachri
08-16-2007, 08:17 AM
I think they might still have that other "babies" set as well. I remember commenting on NOT liking the babies sets on our recent trip, because every cast member had tons of them! On our last trip, dd was able to trade for a lot of really nice pins. This trip she got some (especially hidden Mickeys) but unless she saw them first thing in the morning she was really out of luck. Everyone is buying the sets of babies now because they are cheaper and trading them 1 for 1 with the bigger pins. They are a better bargain, but it is kind of annoying, in my opinion. We bought some pins to trade while we were there, and I bought a set of 4 regular size pins, because I didn't want to add to the baby pins everyone already had.

No flames please, I understand they are a better value...JMHO.

ruledbymercury
08-16-2007, 08:30 AM
Those Pirate Cuties are adorable! I might have to get myself a pack of those very soon!

By the way, I don't trade. I just buy what I like for my own rather small collection.

m 'n c
08-16-2007, 11:07 AM
I think they might still have that other "babies" set as well. I remember commenting on NOT liking the babies sets on our recent trip, because every cast member had tons of them! On our last trip, dd was able to trade for a lot of really nice pins. This trip she got some (especially hidden Mickeys) but unless she saw them first thing in the morning she was really out of luck. Everyone is buying the sets of babies now because they are cheaper and trading them 1 for 1 with the bigger pins. They are a better bargain, but it is kind of annoying, in my opinion. We bought some pins to trade while we were there, and I bought a set of 4 regular size pins, because I didn't want to add to the baby pins everyone already had.

I know what you mean. We just got them because we got into the trading and they are a better deal. We did find though that if you just kept your eyes open that you could find a lot of cast members in not so populated areas/high traffic areas that didn't have them so we could trade. I think it just depends also on when the shift changes are. I think we bought 1 set of cuties down there and spaced them out over a day so we weren't trading them all on one day and then buying more.

kimntrent
08-16-2007, 11:44 AM
I am a huge pin person. Count me in.

Kim

bs4free
08-16-2007, 12:14 PM

That what i did when i frist started pin tradeing, I bought different 4 packs, all the ones that had a chip and dale in the ofcourse, and traded the others, I almost never had a problem, Then the cuties, babise came out and they were every where, just like the kodak 2004 and the 2000 danceing pin you know what they are the ones that are on 90% of the cast memebers lanyards. So before i went again i got a good deal on a few hundred cast lanyard, hidden mickey pins off ebay, before those were copied and scrapered! they were for 3 of us to trade with, I still have about 20 or 30 so i will be using them again this time and only adding to the trader pile with mystersets if i cant find the ones from the mystery sets on some cast lanyard!

I can not however say anything bad about the price, if all you needed are some traders the price is GREAT!!!!

wilsonfamily4
08-21-2007, 01:13 PM
Okay I need help. What are the differences in pins. I see you talk about trader pins and that not all pins are trader pins. I would love to have a quick tutorial so I can think about this for my kids next trip. We went in January but they were still pretty young. We will go back in a year and a half and they will be perfect ages for trading pins then. Thanks for some guidance.

bs4free
08-21-2007, 01:27 PM
Okay I need help. What are the differences in pins. I see you talk about trader pins and that not all pins are trader pins. I would love to have a quick tutorial so I can think about this for my kids next trip. We went in January but they were still pretty young. We will go back in a year and a half and they will be perfect ages for trading pins then. Thanks for some guidance.

Ok I will try to help. First of any pin that is metal and (C)Disney can be a trader pin. I like to collect Chip and Dale pins, others like stitch, etc....
When i talked about buying traders what i ment was buying offical disney pins as cheap as possiable to trade with Cast Members in the parks as 90% of CM wear lanyards and they must trade limit 2 trades per cm per persond per day, must be for a pin not already on the lanyard and must be an offical disney pin! Because the pins i buy for myself cost about $12 or more each!

But you ask what are on the cast member lanyards, they can be anything, from special hidden mickey pins only to be obtained by tradeing to pins people no longer wanted that they traded! You never know what you will find but its fun looking and tradeing. Some times you trade for a pin decied you no longer want it and trade it for something else, thats the fun in pin tradeing.

The best advice i can give is to buy the pins cheap since your kids are younger so it will save you money and you not wondering why they are tradeing away $12, 15, 20 pins. and to Remember pin tradeing is to be fun! The best way to get cheaper pins is first buy them an lanyard and pinset if they do not have laynards, you can get them for like $50 with 8 pins and one lanyard! then buy the 4 packs, mystery packs, or other cheaper sets! if and when they need more. Also a good idea to ask them what type of pins they want, are looking for so you can help. I almost forgot If a cast member has a green lanyard then only children under 10 can trade them, and those CM are usualy very helpful to children!

I hope all of this has helped alittle if you still have questions or if i caused you more questions just ask and i will try to answer them again!

wilsonfamily4
08-21-2007, 02:00 PM
Thank you
We have lanyards from the year of a million dreams we were given in January. So we will probably use those.

What is the etiquette for trading? Do we have to trade if someone asks? do we have to trade all our pins, or can we say these two or off limits?

I guess I should start looking for some less expensive ones now, and make sure they are made by Disney. :)

schachteles
08-21-2007, 02:20 PM
Thank you
We have lanyards from the year of a million dreams we were given in January. So we will probably use those.

What is the etiquette for trading? Do we have to trade if someone asks? do we have to trade all our pins, or can we say these two or off limits?

I guess I should start looking for some less expensive ones now, and make sure they are made by Disney. :)

Pin trading ROCKS...I traded some stuff on the DisBoards for pins, some of the ones that this lady gave me were SMALL I am almost embarassed to trade them out, but I figure I will give those to my DDs to trade.

You don't have to trade with anyone that you don't want to. The cast members on the other hand do have to trade. I honestly haven't seen a lot of trading between tourists, mostly between tourists and the CMs.

mseg16222
08-21-2007, 02:26 PM
I love pin trading also I collect chip and dale...my one son is a stitch freak....the other sorcerer mickey and my husband likes the older looking pins and other odd ball pins.......I bought some off ebay to trade that were cheaper and some from the disney shopping sight last year that were 3.99 pins.

bs4free
08-21-2007, 02:42 PM
I love pin trading also I collect chip and dale...my one son is a stitch freak....the other sorcerer mickey and my husband likes the older looking pins and other odd ball pins.......I bought some off ebay to trade that were cheaper and some from the disney shopping sight last year that were 3.99 pins.

Did you steal my family lol.

I collect Chip and Dale
My Brother collects Sorcerer Mickey
My Sisters Is a stitch freak...

Well my dad he collects a few eeyores
My mom collects any donalds, we come across.

Almost the same!

last year i bought a few sets off ebay of the castlanyard serries only, and I love the semi-annual pin sale on Ds. i was able to get myster pin sets for about 3.25 a pin after tax and shipping!

If your tradeing any chip and dale pins let me know or if you have some wants i might be able to help!

m 'n c
08-21-2007, 03:20 PM
Wilsonfamily - I'd go visit the pin trading boards on the Dis to get an idea. I know Pro Pins and Sedoma (sp??) are not very well received by Pin Collectors and sometimes CMs will not take those pins. Basically they are cheap knock-off pins made in China and you can get them very cheaply off of ebay in lots so you have to be careful.

Honestly I'd just get you kids some of the cuties sets and let them trade those pins away at disney and not worry about cheap pins and if they will be tradeable or not.

~Kathie
08-21-2007, 03:29 PM
I've been pin trading since 1999. That being said, I haven't traded a pin in a long time. I have a lot of pins in my collection and I love them all, but I decided I just don't need to be buying any anymore or looking for any.

Most of the pins I wanted, I was able to get. A lot of the newer pins
are the same poses as ones I have. Just how many Tinker Bell pins with her waving her wand do I need??? Really!!!

I'll check my traders and see how many I have and let you know.

I am heading to NYC this weekend to see Mary Poppins and the Lion King on Broadway. If anyone wants any pins, t-shirts from there, LMK. I'm not making any proimises but I will see what I can do. I think the pins are under $15 (when I was there when LK first opened they were $10).

ETA if you are new to pintrading check out odpt.com It's the Official Disney Pin Trading web site

~Kathie
08-21-2007, 03:36 PM
Wilsonfamily - I'd go visit the pin trading boards on the Dis to get an idea. I know Pro Pins and Sedoma (sp??) are not very well received by Pin Collectors and sometimes CMs will not take those pins. Basically they are cheap knock-off pins made in China and you can get them very cheaply off of ebay in lots so you have to be careful.

Pro-pins and Sedesma

Not a knock off exactly. They are ©Disney but are a lower quality than the pins that come from the parks or the Disney Stores. Some CM's will not take them, only because they (the CM's) haven't been properly instructed in what and what is not allowed to be traded. You will find lots of them on CM lanyards.

I do have some in my collection, because I liked the pose and/or it was a character I collect.

Go read that post on the DIS Collector's Board......it does have a lot of useful information.

BTW............a pin DOES NOT have to have the black plastic Mickey head back in order to be a legitimate Disney Pin. Sorry...........ticks me off that someone at Disney started telling Cast Members this and they have spread this misconception.

FYI, many pins sold at Walt Disney Imagineering have metal backs and are perfectly tradable.

Pet peeve of mine........off the soap box now.

Anne
08-21-2007, 04:03 PM
Ooh, Ooh, Ohh!! (waiving hand in air). Count me in!! I got addicted on my last trip and I couldn't believe how much fun it was. My 2 year old even had fun doing it.

I'm sure I have a few pins lying around to trade. I am mostly collecting the original characters like Mickey, Pluto, Donald, etc, and then the Cinderella ones. But I have been known to stray from those genres.

I bought mine on ebay, from a reputable seller for less than $2 a piece. I think it was a bulk of 30, so you don't know which ones you are going to get. My 2 kids and I each got 10 and we had no trouble trading any of them. I even got a a pin that was dated 2007 which was my goal. :cooldance:

m 'n c
08-21-2007, 04:55 PM
Pro-pins and Sedesma

Not a knock off exactly. They are ©Disney but are a lower quality than the pins that come from the parks or the Disney Stores. Some CM's will not take them, only because they (the CM's) haven't been properly instructed in what and what is not allowed to be traded. You will find lots of them on CM lanyards.

Thanks for clarifying Kathie. I just know the pure mention of those are enough to start a riot on the Dis so I know to avoid them which may or may not be the best thing. I'm not too familar with them but I do know I was quite upset when I traded a nice pin for a cheaper pin and got rid of it as quickly as possible. I was very nervous I would get a CM that wouldn't accept it.

Mom2aPrincess
08-21-2007, 07:09 PM
Here's a great website to help you get started:

http://eventservices.disney.go.com/pintrading/page?id=getStarted

wilsonfamily4
08-21-2007, 07:15 PM
Thanks guys. I think I may try to figure out which ones I want to start collecting and go from there. I will get my kids some collection and then start looking for cheaper ones to be ready for our trip. I need to read all these sites you suggested!

m 'n c
08-21-2007, 07:29 PM
Thanks guys. I think I may try to figure out which ones I want to start collecting and go from there. I will get my kids some collection and then start looking for cheaper ones to be ready for our trip. I need to read all these sites you suggested!

Oh you will have some fun. I just went with favorite characters last trip. I did a few tinks, marie, minnie, and some princesses. I just called WDW Mail Order and ordered 2 of the cute boxed sets for bf's stocking. It was $75 with shipping/tax for 2 :eek: but I know he'll be excited to get them and its for christmas. I figure it will be a good starting point for him next trip.

~Kathie
08-21-2007, 11:27 PM
If you want to really get sick.............go to pinpics.com.

It's a pin repository of many Disney pins. Disney pin fans add pins as they are released. You will find many pins on there as well as some information about them.

There are even pin groups.

Take a look. It's an interesting site.

kimntrent
08-28-2007, 03:48 PM
I am just coming into this again after 10 days away at WDW. I would love to do a trade on here. Who is going to start it and how do we get it going. I tried on the flip flop ones and failed although you can get most of the flip flops at Target for 1.00 and mail them for under 5.00 total. But maybe this will go over well. Lets do one for September.

Kim

Mom2aPrincess
08-28-2007, 06:35 PM
I am just coming into this again after 10 days away at WDW. I would love to do a trade on here. Who is going to start it and how do we get it going. I tried on the flip flop ones and failed although you can get most of the flip flops at Target for 1.00 and mail them for under 5.00 total. But maybe this will go over well. Lets do one for September.

Kim

I've hosted some exchanges on DIS and would be glad to host this one (if it's ok with Tricia and there's anyone else that would want to join). We are actually in the middle of the pin trade on DIS. :mickey:

Anyone else would join in if we do this?