PDA

View Full Version : Laptop thoughts?

Hedy
04-25-2009, 04:55 PM
So my (6 year old Dell's) video card pooped out, so I'm in the market for a new one. Any thoughts? If I get Vista will I ever have a prayer of getting something to credit again? What about a mac?

3dog2kidmom
04-25-2009, 05:01 PM
Hi Heather. I've been very happy with my new Dell Studio 15 with Vista premium. It took a bit to get the settings right and surveys/offers to credit again, but they do. Well, not so much the freebie offers (some do, most don't) but I've decided that is not because of my computer.

sunshinecindy
04-25-2009, 05:02 PM
Personally, I'm an HP person. My DH has one that is 6 years old and its doing great, had it in for minor repairs once, but I really like it. I'm using a Dell, thats what SGuy always recommended.

kimntrent
04-25-2009, 05:09 PM
OMG I love my MAC. I wouldn't buy anything else actually.

disney_girl
04-25-2009, 05:09 PM
We have an HP and are really happy with it!

spring
04-25-2009, 05:21 PM
Glad you asked this question, Heather. I have a 3 year old Dell Inspiron and it's giving me a lot of problems right now. I see a new laptop in the forseeable future. I'll be interested in hearing everybody's opinions, too. Vista kind of scares me as I don't know whether or not I'd be able to overcome the issues with my lack of skills.

arob414
04-25-2009, 07:17 PM
I have a Dell with Vista. I'm with Shelley, don't think it is the Vista that has decreased my freebies crediting. I have had it for nearly a year and the decrease in credits hit around 6 months ago. Must just be the changing times. Altho I did have 6 to credit during crazy credits.

Hedy
04-25-2009, 08:16 PM
I have a Dell with Vista. I'm with Shelley, don't think it is the Vista that has decreased my freebies crediting. I have had it for nearly a year and the decrease in credits hit around 6 months ago. Must just be the changing times. Altho I did have 6 to credit during crazy credits.
Fortunately, YoungestBrother was able to talk me down from the fear of Vista ledge.

Personally, I'm an HP person. My DH has one that is 6 years old and its doing great, had it in for minor repairs once, but I really like it. I'm using a Dell, thats what SGuy always recommended.
I'll check HP-everyone I saw today had this ugly glossy screen

We have an HP and are really happy with it!

Thanks!

askomsky
04-25-2009, 08:18 PM
I have an HP with AMD processing and Vista and no problems SR wise. I actually LOVE my laptop, it's lightening fast and a huge screen and keyboard.

Most people see my laptop and really wish they would have spent the extra to get the bigger/better one bc so far it's been worth every $700 spent on it. (Through SR of course! LOL)

Actually if your running XP eventually you'll have to get Vista when/if Windows 7 is out and available. Everything I've read you won't be able to upgrade from XP to 7 without losing all your data, but you will be able to from Vista to 7. Jan 2010 they're supposed to start with 7. I have way to many files with XP on my desktop that I'm trying to get taken care of now.

Hedy
04-25-2009, 08:40 PM
I have an HP with AMD processing and Vista and no problems SR wise. I actually LOVE my laptop, it's lightening fast and a huge screen and keyboard.

Most people see my laptop and really wish they would have spent the extra to get the bigger/better one bc so far it's been worth every $700 spent on it. (Through SR of course! LOL)

Actually if your running XP eventually you'll have to get Vista when/if Windows 7 is out and available. Everything I've read you won't be able to upgrade from XP to 7 without losing all your data, but you will be able to from Vista to 7. Jan 2010 they're supposed to start with 7. I have way to many files with XP on my desktop that I'm trying to get taken care of now.

Did you order directly from HP?

arob414
04-25-2009, 09:13 PM
If you are like me, no matter what you get, you will love it. I love getting computers. I don't have a shoe thing, do have a purse thing, but I really, really love getting newer and better computers. I just might be a nerd. Bummer is that I had always passed mine on to the girls. And, that was my justification for getting a new one. But, Grace really needed a better computer for school, so she got a new laptop, last summer. (But, so did I. :D ) I gave my old one to Anna. It is okay for Toon Town and webkinz but she will need something better in another year, 7th grade seemed to be when Grace really started using hers for school. So, I guess the next time I get a laptop it will just have to be because...

askomsky
04-25-2009, 10:32 PM
Did you order directly from HP?

No, Actually it was a better deal at Circuit City for us. We ended up ordering it online for instore pick up in DE where it's tax free. It was also at the time $50-$75 cheaper at Circuit City then HP online, put that with no taxes and we ended up wtih a great deal.

I agree with Gay though, I'm a geek I love new computers!

speechteachri
04-25-2009, 10:47 PM
I'm in the market for a new laptop for me to replace my desktop and get me more mobile...I would love to order through SR, but DH is thinking he wants to go with a Toshiba....anyone know anything about them?

DarcyDog
04-26-2009, 08:39 AM
I'm in the market for a new laptop for me to replace my desktop and get me more mobile...I would love to order through SR, but DH is thinking he wants to go with a Toshiba....anyone know anything about them?

We have 2 Toshibas in our family. One is 2 years old and never had a problem. I've been very happy with it.

chipndale
04-26-2009, 10:26 AM
I agree with Gay though, I'm a geek I love new computers!

I just love getting a new computer too. I have been looking around also. DH is laid off and thinking about going into business for himself if he can't soon find a job. So I have been computer shopping because my old computer will never handle the extra work. :D Plus I really really need well want a new computer. DD7 can have my old one also.

arob414
04-26-2009, 12:32 PM
I just love getting a new computer too. I have been looking around also. DH is laid off and thinking about going into business for himself if he can't soon find a job. So I have been computer shopping because my old computer will never handle the extra work. :D Plus I really really need well want a new computer. DD7 can have my old one also.

You need to get a new one. It is the right thing to do, for your daughter. Think about how much she can learn from Reader Rabbit, Jumpstart or whatever the current educational software. It is just a good motherly thing to do. :D

chipndale
04-26-2009, 09:38 PM
You need to get a new one. It is the right thing to do, for your daughter. Think about how much she can learn from Reader Rabbit, Jumpstart or whatever the current educational software. It is just a good motherly thing to do. :D

That is excatly what I told DH. He still said I have to wait until he is back working. But once he is back .... :love: I will give DD my computer and I will have to suffer and get the new one :rotfl:

arob414
04-26-2009, 09:48 PM
That is excatly what I told DH. He still said I have to wait until he is back working. But once he is back .... :love: I will give DD my computer and I will have to suffer and get the new one :rotfl:

What we won't do for our children. :rotfl:

disneyforever
04-27-2009, 01:29 AM
I have an HP laptop with Vista. I got a screamin' good deal at Best Buy. This is the second HP laptop I have owned. The first one lasted almost 6 years before it finally kicked the bucket. I will say... I like XP much better, but I am getting along with Vista. :D

spring
05-03-2009, 05:28 PM
My DD discovered a great deal on Newegg today for an HP laptop. It's a little large, at 16", but comes with 4GB Memory, 320GB HDD, and best of all, it is $599.99 with free shipping after a $50 mail-in rebate. This is their deal of the week. I don't know if this is the beginning or the end of the week, but I grabbed it. Hope me and Vista get along.:D

Hedy
05-03-2009, 05:56 PM
The danged dedicated video card is what's getting me (I ordered a Dell after spending years swearing I'd never get another Dell). I'd better like the Sims3. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

spring
05-03-2009, 06:06 PM
The danged dedicated video card is what's getting me (I ordered a Dell after spending years swearing I'd never get another Dell). I'd better like the Sims3. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

As far as I'm concerned, it's all like a "toss of the coin" as to which is the better laptop, LOL.:rotfl: Hope we both picked winners!:)

askomsky
05-03-2009, 06:17 PM
My DD discovered a great deal on Newegg today for an HP laptop. It's a little large, at 16", but comes with 4GB Memory, 320GB HDD, and best of all, it is $599.99 with free shipping after a $50 mail-in rebate. This is their deal of the week. I don't know if this is the beginning or the end of the week, but I grabbed it. Hope me and Vista get along.:D

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I went and checked it out, looks almost like mine, not sure how much different. Love the number pad on my keyboard and my screen is 17 inches.

spring
05-03-2009, 06:19 PM
NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I went and checked it out, looks almost like mine, not sure how much different. Love the number pad on my keyboard and my screen is 17 inches.

Glad to hear that. DD was the brains of the operation, of course.:rotfl: She did all the research, and I reaped the rewards (SR rewards, also, LOL.) Since I usually don't travel with it, the 16 inch screen was neither here nor there.

askomsky
05-03-2009, 07:24 PM
Glad to hear that. DD was the brains of the operation, of course.:rotfl: She did all the research, and I reaped the rewards (SR rewards, also, LOL.) Since I usually don't travel with it, the 16 inch screen was neither here nor there.

Yeah mine sits on the kitchen table, it travels to the couch or the patio. :D
It did make a trip to MA when I went on the luncheon.

Lori did some good research, I now know who to call when I need help! :sunshine:

arob414
05-03-2009, 08:47 PM
Congratulations on your new computers! I hope you both enjoy them. I have never had a HP, my first was a Compaq and the rest have been Dells. I always by thru the outlet and like being able to pick a specific computer. That is the main reason I buy Dell. Kind like picking your own fruit, LOL. But, I love any new computer. Should come with its own smell, like a car.

Hedy
05-20-2009, 10:42 AM
So the laptop was to arrive on 5/19, then 5/27, and now June 3. Argh. I have to say if I want to continue with my order-any Dell I price on their site currently is shipping after 6/3, so I think I may stick with what I know. :(