PDA

View Full Version : Gift Bags for 11 & 13 YO Boys?

Kittykat
05-17-2009, 12:14 PM
Okay, we're getting ready to head back to The World in 19 days. I have always made our two boys little gift bags for the ride down--but now that they're getting older they're MUCH harder to suprise OR impress.

I would love to pack a little bag for each of them but I'm really quite at a loss as to what to include. So far I have Star Wars PEZ dispensers. That's it. :rotfl:

I thought maybe a deck of Disney playing cards (if I can find them?) and some snacks and gum...but do any of you have some cool and hip suggestions for these two not-so-easily impressed boys?

Magical JenK
05-17-2009, 12:30 PM
I know I got some Disney playing cards at Target a few years ago. As for the boys...sorry, no idea...

faithhope
05-17-2009, 02:36 PM
I try and get my girls some surprises to keep them entertained during the trip to WDW...

some of the things I have included in the past...and might in the future...

New movie to watch on the portable DVD player
New book to read
Puzzle type books to entertain.
New pencils and erasers to go with puzzle books.
Set of colored pencils and sharpener
Sketch book so the kids can draw
Snacks they usually don't get
stash of pennies and quarters so they can have pressed pennies during the trip.
Maps of WDW so they can plan and talk about the trip
deck of cards
I've tried various magnetic or mini versions of games... but we have lost pieces and it doesn't work well... the a deck of trivia cards does work well though.
Adding new songs secretively to their mp3 players
stationary, postcards, stamps
pokemon cards
audio books we can all enjoy.

Blessing and Miracle
05-17-2009, 03:07 PM
My boys never leave for vacation without their Playstation, 1, 2 or 3 which ever is the newest at the time. They hook it up to the portable tv, and before those came out they would pack a 19 inch tv and a converter, and play their game all the way to our destination and whenever we'd have free time in the hotel.

And they always bring plenty of movies.

Wait, none of these things will fit in a gift bag! Sorry.:confused: Well, the movies will if you guys will have a portable tv available.

Good luck.

Kittykat
05-17-2009, 04:08 PM
Wait, none of these things will fit in a gift bag!

:p

That's okay, their taste seems to run a bit "bigger" than a gift bag these days anyway.

But you know, we've been debating whether to let them bring their XBox or not on this trip. We have two rooms (we outgrew sharing a room a few years ago) so they'll have their "own" TV. Do you let your kids bring the PS into the hotel room? We don't have a TV in the car so it'll be useless on the drive down but we thought it might provide entertainment if DH and I go out or if we're back at the hotel during downtime. My oldest DS was all for bringing it until he thought about Mousekeeping stealing it. I told him I didn't think it'd get stolen...but he's not so sure. :rolleyes:

I think I'm going to put a few smaller things into a bag for them: PEZ dispensers, pins (maybe a new lanyard), gum, a couple of "special" snacks...and if I'm feeling REALLY generous I might give them one of my SR Disney GC's each, too. We'll see. ;)

I love the idea of audio books or a new novel to read. I hadn't thought about that!

I'm sure they'll be happy with anything...I think it's Mom that's gets the bigger thrill out of making them for them.

Hedy
05-17-2009, 06:36 PM
Okay, we're getting ready to head back to The World in 19 days. I have always made our two boys little gift bags for the ride down--but now that they're getting older they're MUCH harder to suprise OR impress.

I would love to pack a little bag for each of them but I'm really quite at a loss as to what to include. So far I have Star Wars PEZ dispensers. That's it. :rotfl:

I thought maybe a deck of Disney playing cards (if I can find them?) and some snacks and gum...but do any of you have some cool and hip suggestions for these two not-so-easily impressed boys?

I got my nephews (then 9 and 12) lanyards, pins, and autograph books (they wanted them, I hadn't thought they would). They also really like my WDW trivia book.

Blessing and Miracle
05-17-2009, 06:56 PM
Oh yes, my boys (including their dad) enjoy playing their game in the hotel room. In fact, they stay up until the wee hours of the morning playing their game. We've never had a problem with housekeeping "borrowing" it. They do however take it down and put it back into the suitcase as to not tempt anyone. They've been taking their game for years and we've never had any problems.

If you guys don't have the portable tv's for the car you can always bring a small television and buy an inverter that plugs into the cigarette lighter. This is what we did before the portable tv's came out. This way they will have unlimited amounts of fun in the car. They aren't too expensive and you can use them for a few years as well.

Can they watch movies on the XBox?

Kittykat
05-17-2009, 07:20 PM
If you guys don't have the portable tv's for the car you can always bring a small television and buy an inverter that plugs into the cigarette lighter.
We do have one of those! I totally forgot! I'll have to see about packing it when we go. :)

Can they watch movies on the XBox?
They can...I hadn't thought about that either.

Maybe I could borrow you for the next 18 days to help me get ready for my trip? I think my brain already left for vacation... :p

SunshineGirl
05-17-2009, 07:38 PM
What about those Hidden Mickey books? So they can "study up" on the places to look for them before you get there? Then kind of make a game of it when you are there who can find the most of them.

Kittykat
05-17-2009, 08:50 PM
What about those Hidden Mickey books? So they can "study up" on the places to look for them before you get there? Then kind of make a game of it when you are there who can find the most of them.

Oooh, I like this. Is there an SR merchant that has them??

SunshineGirl
05-17-2009, 09:18 PM
Oooh, I like this. Is there an SR merchant that has them??

Yep! Two good choices right off the bat. Borders has the main Hidden Mickeys book for about $10 and if you order it to be delivered to your closest store, you don't pay shipping. Barnes and Noble has the main Hidden Mickeys book plus another "Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World" that is not just hidden mickeys but a lot of Disney trivia-type stuff as well. They have free shipping on $25 (as does Borders if you don't want to do the free site to store).

Blessing and Miracle
05-17-2009, 11:12 PM
We do have one of those! I totally forgot! I'll have to see about packing it when we go. :)

They can...I hadn't thought about that either.

Maybe I could borrow you for the next 18 days to help me get ready for my trip? I think my brain already left for vacation... :p

Sure you can! :D I'm the queen of road trips. :rotfl: I ensure that we aren't in need of anything.

Kittykat
05-18-2009, 12:17 AM
Sure you can! :D I'm the queen of road trips. :rotfl: I ensure that we aren't in need of anything.

How soon can you get here? :rotfl:

I used to be so organized. In years past, I'd already be packed for this trip. This time? Not even close. :rolleyes:

Though I confess to being a chronic over-packer. You never know when you might need a pair of mittens in Orlando in June! You might have to carry dry ice somewhere! It could happen!

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions, I'm off to run a few of them by the DH and see what he thinks.

18 days and counting...:mickey:

Blessing and Miracle
05-18-2009, 12:27 AM
How soon can you get here? :rotfl:

I used to be so organized. In years past, I'd already be packed for this trip. This time? Not even close. Though I confess to being a chronic over-packer. You never know when you might need a pair of mittens in Orlando in June! You might have to carry dry ice somewhere! It could happen!

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions, I'm off to run a few of them by the DH and see what he thinks.

18 days and counting...

Where do you live?

:rotfl:You just might need those mittens. A cold front is moving through Houston as we speak!! :rotfl:

I'm definitely an overpacker! I rather have too much than not enough.
DH has learned not to talk about my extras anymore. ;)

It's so exciting preparing for vacation. Your's is very close!! Ours isn't until July and I can't wait.

Have fun preparing and getting ready. If I think of anything else I'll post it.

Oh, our kids like to do word search puzzles. We all race to see who finishes first. Maybe that's something they will be interested in.:)

chipndale
05-18-2009, 12:34 AM
Though I confess to being a chronic over-packer. You never know when you might need a pair of mittens in Orlando in June! You might have to carry dry ice somewhere! It could happen!

Hey the gloves could come in handy even in August! We were camping and my father and I went to get a block of ice. It was our first night at the campground and we were excited and checking the place out. We really didn't pay attention to all the roads! To make a long story short, my poor dad walked around the campground carring this heavy, dripping block of ice because we couldn't find our camper! Eventually, my mother realized that something must be wrong and set out looking for us. She found us and has never let my father live that one down! I know that my father would have loved to have a pair of warm gloves for his hands that night. :rotfl:

Kittykat
05-18-2009, 07:47 AM
I feel vindicated. :D

I'll be doing a little online shopping today, I am so glad I posted here asking for suggestions! Thank you so much! :sun:

fourfoxesinpa
05-18-2009, 08:14 AM
I always tuck a gift card or Disney Dollars in my kids' bags. They can spend it on anything they want. For them - that's a treat as Mom and Dad always try to guide them on how to spend their money wisely.

I found glow stick eye glasses at Five and Below. My 12 year old son wore them at Fantasmic and other night parades - they also sell the glow things that go in the mouth. The pre-teens/early teens sometimes think they are fun.

Our library system has DS games that you can check out - maybe you can borrow a couple of "new" games that they haven't played yet and then return them when you get home. Or, take a portable DVD player and stop at Redboxes along the way for $1 movie rentals.

Kittykat
05-18-2009, 07:05 PM
Yep! Two good choices right off the bat. Borders has the main Hidden Mickeys book for about $10 and if you order it to be delivered to your closest store, you don't pay shipping. Barnes and Noble has the main Hidden Mickeys book plus another "Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World" that is not just hidden mickeys but a lot of Disney trivia-type stuff as well. They have free shipping on $25 (as does Borders if you don't want to do the free site to store).

Just bumping to say I ordered these today from B&N and I can't wait to get them! I know the boys will enjoy them and they'll definitely give us something to do on the drive down AND while we're at Disney.

I also found a two deck set of Star Wars playing cards at Target and since we'll be there during Star Wars weekends...I think I've done pretty good.

BTW, they have Disney's Cars word search books in the $1 section at Target as well. I didn't get them but I'm wondering if I should've. :rolleyes: