PDA

View Full Version : Speechteachri's Disney Dining reviews-August, 2009

speechteachri
09-06-2009, 06:12 PM
We had an awesome trip to WDW last month, and part of it was due to some great food. The fact that we got the dining plan free was awesome, and we decided to try all new table service restaurants this time. Some of our choices turned out great, some not so great, but we really didn't have any "bad" meals. I'll start with the table service places, then I'll comment in another post on a few of the Counter service places we ate at. I'll use a 1-10 scale where 1 is just horrible and 10 is over the top good...here goes!

Day 1: Crystal Palace lunch
*good food and plenty of variety. I like buffets because I can always try new things and don't have to feel bad about not eating them if I don't like them. This was m-i-l's first character interaction ever, so that was fun!
Food=7
Service=6
Atmosphere=6 (loud)
Character Interaction=6
Would we return? Yes

Day 1: Wishes Dessert Party
OK, OK, I know, not a TS, but I thought it was worth the review.
Food=8
Service. NA, but desserts and drinks were replenished readily
Atmosphere=8 (10 for Wishes)
Would we return? Depends if it continues to be offered. Maybe.

Day 2: Le Cellier-dinner
By far the best meal of our trip!
Food=9-10
Service=10
Atmosphere=8
Would we return? Definitely, if we could get a ressie!

Day 3: Rainforest Cafe-DTD-lunch
OK, this is the only rest. that we had eaten at before. We paid for it using giftcards.
Food=8
Service=7
Atmosphere=9
Would we return. Yes

Day 4: (my birthday!) Yak and Yeti-lunch
Food=5
Service=5
Atmosphere=5
Would we return. I doubt it. Definitely not if not on the dining plan. This place was VERY expensive for what you get. Just mediocre Chinese food from where I sat, although DH liked the ribs very much. I would definitely look forward to getting the cream cheese wantons again though...they were yummy. Nothing terrible, just a so-so meal.

Day 4: Ohana dinner
Food:5
Service=7
Atmosphere=4 (We were seated in a small section on the back side of the cooking area. Didn't even know that existed until we were leaving. I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more had we been seated somewere else. We could hear everything going on, but not see any of it.)
Would we return? No. I think this was my most disappointing meal, as I had heard so many good things about it.

Day 5: Ragalan Road
Food=6
Service=7
Atmosphere=6
We enjoyed the food, but felt it was way overpriced had we not been on the dining plan. DH and I both had fish and chips, and while they were good, they were about 1/3 the portion size we get at home for triple the price.
Would we return. Probably not.

Day 6: Hoop Dee Doo Revue
Food=6
Service=9 (our waitress was from Spain, and for our second round of Sangrias asked if she could bring us "real Spanish Sangrias." Well they were definitely different, and YUMMY!! I was feeling really good by the time we left!
Atmosphere=10 We had a blast, and loved the show!!
Would we return? Most definitely!!

Day 7: Donald Safari Breakfast-Tusker House
Food=7-8 (I had been reading that the bacon lately was really bad, and that was confirmed...it was tasteless and nasty!
Service=9
Atmosphere=7
Character Interaction=6 We had 3 characters visit (Daisy, Mickey and Goofy). I was really disappointed that Donald didn't come around, but was only outside for Pay pictures and that was it. My score of 6 was lowered because of this, because the other characters were great, but we got no shots with Donald this trip.
Would we return? No

Day 7: Boma

Food=5 The Butternut squash soup was great!! Didn't care for a lot of the offerings
Service=6
ATmosphere=8
Would we return? No, probably not.

Day 8: No TS meals

Day 9: No TS meals

Day 10: 50's Prime Time Cafe
Food=8
Service=10 Definitely ask for "cousin Mark!"
Atmosphere=10 We all loved this meal. It was the perfect meal to end our trip on!!
Would we return? YES!! Definitely!

All in all, we had some great food and some that was just ok, but every meal had something that was good about it. We were full our entire vacation!!

catnapfan
09-06-2009, 08:52 PM
Thanks for posting your dining reviews. Le Cellier and Ohana are on my list for our next trip. I would also love to do the MK dessert party if they offer it next year. I can't wait to hear about some of your counter service meals.

faithhope
09-06-2009, 09:18 PM
Thanks for posting your reviews...
We usually only do one or two sit down meals on our trips...so it is helpful to get personal reviews...

We do Crystal Palace for lunch every time... for the past 8 years for youngest's birthday...will probably go for #9 again this year... it is a favorite of everyone...from grandpa to youngest... I too like a buffet... everyone is happy with their own choice... I love the samon here...

I think next year we will try the 50s cafe.

Your reviews helped narrow down which new place to try in December.

speechteachri
09-06-2009, 09:46 PM
OK...on to the counter service reviews...those I can remember anyway, as I didn't write down all of them. Let's see how many I can remember...I tried so hard to take good notes this time around, but I always seem to forget in the business of the trip and the tiredness!

Day 1: no CS meals

Day 2: No real CS meal. We went to Typhoon Lagoon (LOVED IT!!!...Crush'n Gusher is the BEST!!!) We used snack credits and shared a soft pretzel, nachos and a lemonade between us, because nothing on the CS menu realy was appealing to us after being on all the water rides.

Day 3: Pepper Market dinner. (We stayed at Coronado Springs...LOVED IT!)

DD and I got a bacon cheeseburger and fries and split it. DH got the half rotisserie chicken. PM gets very mixed reviews. We thought the food was pretty good, but it was quite confusing, and everybody got their food at different times. The burger was really good though, and DH liked his chicken. We got a strawberry cake and a cheesecake for dessert, and they were really good. The steak dinner is no longer on the menu.
Food:7-8
Service=7
Atmosphere=5

Day 4: no CS meals

Day 5: Fairfax fair at Hollywood studios (Around the corner from TOT)
Food=5-6
I had a chili dog, which was fine, nothing special. DD got a hot dog and dh got the pulled pork sandwich. I think we all were full, but typical CS food...we were just really hungry, so we stopped at the first place with a short line after riding TOT.

Day 6: Pepper Market lunch
We hung out at the resort and swam and did laundry this day:
DD and I both got the chicken quesadilla, which is pre-made and heated...it was fine, but nothing great. DD was really disappointed not to be able to order it without peppers or get sour cream with it. DH got a bacon cheeseburger, I think.

Same ratings as before.

Day 7:no CS meals

**I purposely scheduled most of our TS meals earlier in the trip, and left a couple days at the end without ressies, so that we could be more flexibe and get back to places we wanted to go back to before the end of our trip.**

Day 8:
CS at France pavilliion in Epcot
this is the only food pic I took on the whole trip...not sure why, but the desserts were yummy! I'll post the pic later, when I get it transferred to photobucket...
dh got a ham and swiss sandwich on a roll, dd got a ham and cheese on croissant, and I got a mini quiche. All three were really good, although they didn't do a very good job heating anything through. As I said before, the desserts were yummy. dd got the capuccino slushy for her drink and that was included in the plan. I didn't really like it much (in comparison to the Dunkin' Donuts coolata), but dd really liked it.
Food:8

Day 8: Pepper Market dinner
dd and I each got a pizza. They took a while to cook, because they are made to order, but they were surprisingly good. DH got a chicken ceasar salad, which he said was good, but it was rather small. We got our dessers to go (cheesecake, oreo cake and strawberry cake) and we ate them for b-fast the next morning!)
Food:7-8 tonight

Day 9: Blizzard Beach Warming Hut
DD got a double c-burger, I got some kind of salad, dh got chicken strips. Everything was edible and ok...typical CS

Day 9: Wolfgang Puck Express (DTD)
This was the bestest CS of the trip!! We LOVED the food there!
DD got Alfredo chicken, which was REALLY GOOD!!, DH got some kind of asian type salad which I thought was very good. He thought it was ok, except there was some spice in it he didn't care for. I got some kind of chicen pesto dis, that was really excellent. They don't have lots of desserts to choose from, so we all got frozen yogurt. We all left full (even dh). I was very impressed. Probably wouldn't go there if not on the dining plan though, because it was pricey for CS. I think the chicken alfredo was like $14.99.
Food:8-9
service:8

Day 10: Right before we left we stopped at the Cafe Rix at the resort before going to catch our magical express bus. We each got a sanwich to go, and then used the rest of our remaining CS meals (maybe 3 or 4) to trade in for snacks to take home )(3 snacks per CS credit) and got a couple of fruit cups, some rice crispie treats, and a couple candy bars to take with us. It took some doing to fit everything in our carry-on bags, but we managed and were able to eat the sandwiches at the airport for supper before our 6:40 flight.
Food=5-6

So there you have it...and I even think I rmembered most of it. I'm proud of myself.

We loved having free dining and we were never hungry. I came home 3 lbs. heavier than when we left, and dh broke even. So many times I felt like a big fat blob when leaving the restaurants!

We had a great time!

speechteachri
09-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Robin...don't get your hopes up too high for Ohana. I'm really glad we tried it, but it really was a let down for me. Lots of people love it though...I hope you will!

Faith...definitely give 50's a shot we had a blast there, and will definitly go back!!!

One thing I should add, is that it did shock me how many people went into the rest. wanting a table, and how many got really angry when they were unable to get them....so don't forget to make ressies ahead!

pbhall13
09-06-2009, 11:05 PM
Thanks Leslie

Anxiously awaiting our trip in October!!

Pamela

~Kathie
09-06-2009, 11:48 PM
Leslie..thanks for the reviews. :D

I've been to Prime Time 50's several times and your experience will greatly depend on who you get for a server. The last time we got a very young girl and she was just not into playing "mom". We had a better time when there was a large group of us. The food was good.

I've been to Ohana twice. Both times we were with a large group and we felt like we was being rushed. We were in the center of things both times and that was nice for the kids in the group. I didn't think the food or the service was that great. That stinks they put you in the back.

PSL1013
09-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Thanks for your reviews...we have a few of these booked for our trip too, it's funny how everybody has different experiences, here are mine! :D

Day 1: Crystal Palace lunch
*good food and plenty of variety. I like buffets because I can always try new things and don't have to feel bad about not eating them if I don't like them. This was m-i-l's first character interaction ever, so that was fun!
Food=7
Service=6
Atmosphere=6 (loud)
Character Interaction=6
Would we return? Yes
I've eaten here before for dinner and LOVED it, taking my hubby here this next trip for his first experience.

Day 1: Wishes Dessert Party
OK, OK, I know, not a TS, but I thought it was worth the review.
Food=8
Service. NA, but desserts and drinks were replenished readily
Atmosphere=8 (10 for Wishes)
Would we return? Depends if it continues to be offered. Maybe.
I lucked out and snagged a ADR for this, I wanted to try something that we have never done before, hopefully it's worth it?

Day 2: Le Cellier-dinner
By far the best meal of our trip!
Food=9-10
Service=10
Atmosphere=8
Would we return? Definitely, if we could get a ressie!
This is a favorite of ours and we always go here almost every trip.

Day 3: Rainforest Cafe-DTD-lunch
OK, this is the only rest. that we had eaten at before. We paid for it using giftcards.
Food=8
Service=7
Atmosphere=9
Would we return. Yes
We have this restaurant about 15 min from where we live, so it's not a big deal to us anymore but when it was new and my child was younger, we went here. Food not so good, it's the atmosphere you go for.

Day 4: (my birthday!) Yak and Yeti-lunch
Food=5
Service=5
Atmosphere=5
Would we return. I doubt it. Definitely not if not on the dining plan. This place was VERY expensive for what you get. Just mediocre Chinese food from where I sat, although DH liked the ribs very much. I would definitely look forward to getting the cream cheese wantons again though...they were yummy. Nothing terrible, just a so-so meal.
We tried this during our last trip and we really liked it but yes it is expensive. We don't usually visit AK, so we wouldn't make a special trip to go here.

Day 4: Ohana dinner
Service=7
Atmosphere=4 (We were seated in a small section on the back side of the cooking area. Didn't even know that existed until we were leaving. I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more had we been seated somewere else. We could hear everything going on, but not see any of it.)
Would we return? No. I think this was my most disappointing meal, as I had heard so many good things about it.
We usually bring people here that have never been before but I really dislike the food and if you aren't sitting next to a window to see Wishes, it's not really that much fun anyway for adults.

Day 5: Ragalan Road
Food=6
Service=7
Atmosphere=6
We enjoyed the food, but felt it was way overpriced had we not been on the dining plan. DH and I both had fish and chips, and while they were good, they were about 1/3 the portion size we get at home for triple the price.
Would we return. Probably not.
We are trying this for the first time, hope it's good?

Day 6: Hoop Dee Doo Revue
Food=6
Service=9 (our waitress was from Spain, and for our second round of Sangrias asked if she could bring us "real Spanish Sangrias." Well they were definitely different, and YUMMY!! I was feeling really good by the time we left!
Atmosphere=10 We had a blast, and loved the show!!
Would we return? Most definitely!!
Been there, done that! No need to go back! :rotfl:

Day 7: Donald Safari Breakfast-Tusker House
Food=7-8 (I had been reading that the bacon lately was really bad, and that was confirmed...it was tasteless and nasty!
Service=9
Atmosphere=7
Character Interaction=6 We had 3 characters visit (Daisy, Mickey and Goofy). I was really disappointed that Donald didn't come around, but was only outside for Pay pictures and that was it. My score of 6 was lowered because of this, because the other characters were great, but we got no shots with Donald this trip.
Would we return? No
Never done this one.

Day 7: Boma
Food=5 The Butternut squash soup was great!! Didn't care for a lot of the offerings
Service=6
ATmosphere=8
Would we return? No, probably not.
We really like the food and atmosphere here, one of our favorites...see, everyone has different likes and dislikes, that is why you need to try places to experience it first hand.

Day 8: No TS meals

Day 9: No TS meals

Day 10: 50's Prime Time Cafe
Food=8
Service=10 Definitely ask for "cousin Mark!"
Atmosphere=10 We all loved this meal. It was the perfect meal to end our trip on!!
Would we return? YES!! Definitely!
We've only tried this once and that was enough for us...we like to eat in peace! :rotfl: