PDA

View Full Version : September 11th: Lest we forget, the Fallen, our Friends, our Heroes...

Kycha
09-11-2007, 02:35 AM
In remembrance of the 2996 people who died that day in New York City, Washington DC and a field in Shanksville, PA. I will never forget.

Today is Patriot Day. Please display your flags at half staff and observe a moment of silence at 8:46 a.m. eastern daylight time to honor the innocent victims who lost their lives as a result of the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/kycha33/unitedwestand.gif

The LK 4
09-11-2007, 07:04 AM
:flag:They are all in my thoughts and prayers today. :flag:

disneynut
09-11-2007, 07:25 AM
:hugs: In my thoughts today as well. I still remember. :hugs:

kerry34
09-11-2007, 08:08 AM
All are in my thoughts and prayers as well:hugs:

LuvMyBoys
09-11-2007, 09:12 AM
We will also pray together as a family tonight for those families torn apart on 9/11 and those who continue to lose love ones to the war :(
:hugs:

andrea2289
09-11-2007, 10:07 AM
In Rememberance of all those killed and injured in New York, Washington D.C. and on United Flight 93 Pennsylvannia September 11, 2001

We pray for those left behind....
For the broken Hearts around the World,
For the rescue workers and their families..

That peace may prevail

http://www.vfw7916.org/images/VFW_NEWSLTR_051009_img_4.jpg

kimntrent
09-11-2007, 12:37 PM
Does everyone remember where they were when this happened?

I was in bed, I worked nights at the time. My best friend was getting on a plane in Alabama when she called and said a plane crashed into the World Trade Center. I didn't believe her. I guess I didn't want to believe her. At that time we were 11 days away from our wedding. She was coming out for my bridal shower with my god daughters and her little brother. My aunt was on a plane at JFK doing the same thing. She was actually on the tarmack getting ready to take off. I remember that like it was yesterday. Oh the horror we felt. My cousin had landed in Paris a few days before from his wedding and instantly turned parisian since his wife had herritage there. They didn't want anyone to know they were American. We always say our wedding was a 9/11 wedding.

Kim

wilsonfamily4
09-11-2007, 12:46 PM
I was getting ready for work. I was pregnant with our first child. I was watching it on tv and just sitting there not fully understanding what was happening. Then the phone rang. One of our friends was calling my husband to see if he was watching. He was in bed. Later he asked why I hadn't gotten him up. I had no clue. I just sat there wondering what in the world was happening. All day at work we had the radio on and it was so somber. What a sad day that was. :(

ItsmeSunnyV
09-11-2007, 12:58 PM
:hugs::hugs: In remembrance to those who passed away on 9/11!!:hugs: :hugs:

LuvMyBoys
09-11-2007, 01:01 PM
I was sitting in contracts class, it was my first year of law school. At the end of the class someone announced that if anyone had relatives who worked in the Trade Center, they should try to call them b/c there was a plane crash. It seemed like no big deal, we had no idea that the crash was intentional.

I stayed in the classroom to read during the hour break btwn classes. During the break someone came in and announced there were more plane crashes and they hit the pentagon. My friend and I looked at each other and said "No way"......we totally didn't believe it. :confused:

Then we went down to the tv lounge and saw everyone gathered around CNN crying and shaking their heads in disbelief, anger, and hurt. :(

I will never forget the disbelief, the sadness, and the feelings of helplessness from that day. I hope and pray that we don't ever have to experience something like that again.

Debbie Jean
09-11-2007, 01:05 PM
I had just arrived at work when someone said a plane had struck the WTC. We are on hill in northern NJ and have a view of the Manhattan skyline so we all rushed outside and watched the pitch black smoke billow out... I remember it was an absolutely beautiful day... sky clear and so very blue. As events progressed throughout the day friends, family co-workers was all we could think about.... waiting to hear.

When I drove home later that day, I went by the parking lot of the train station in our town and it was eerily full... I wondered how many people would never come back to get their car. We lost 12 residents that day... family, friends, neighbors... including the father of my DD's friend.

Life does go on but it will never be the same... I think we have all been changed. Today is a time to remember those who died, those who lost loved ones, and also those who survived and still can't really figure out why or get over the guilt of having escaped.

minigirl
09-11-2007, 03:07 PM
I was actually at home that day. My FIL called to ask where my dh was. DH is a pilot for American and often flew trips out of Boston -- eventhough he is based in Miami. Dh happened to be in Costa Rica and I didn't understand my FIL relief. Then he told me what had happened. I turned on the news and couldn't believe it. My dd had turned 2 just days before and I was about 10 weeks pregnant with #2. I became physically ill as I watched the news, and I know it was from that because that was the only time I got sick during that pregnancy.

My dh knew 3 or the 4 AA pilots that perished that day, and one of the flight attendants was in my f/a training class. (I was a flight attendant before having kids.)

I will never forget the sick feeling those images gave me. I used to live in New York and loved those clear Fall days. My dh laid over in NYC weeks later, and he said you could still smell the smoke that lingered in the air and still see all the soot in the streets. It was also eerie flying into LGA and seeing that big hole in the Manhattan skyline.

Candi
09-11-2007, 04:10 PM
I was at work. I was also pg with my first. I hadn't even heard anything. When I got there, everyone was listening to the radio or looking on their computers. What an awful day. The fire dept is doing an open house tonight and at 7, there will be a service. They are also building a memorial in front of the station. My dad has been a firefighter for 25 years and dh for 6 My dad and mom actually went to Washington DC for the memorial service for the fallen firefighters.

kimntrent
09-11-2007, 04:58 PM
Oh I bet that would have been amazing. It is such an honorable job. My husband is going through all the training and stuff right now.

ligrumpygirl
09-11-2007, 08:14 PM
It is a sad day here in NY...and everywhere else is the USA today.

I was at school that morning when we got the news. Many of my friends husbands ran to help...NYPD and FDNY. The community I work in is a big blue collar community with many firefighters and police officers. I spent the day covering teachers' classes so they could make phone calls. I dismissed students to parents who signed their kids out and wrote NATIONAL EMERGENCY as their reason. We lost many friends that day...many students' fathers as well...one was not even a rescue worker - just a worker in the buildings.

It was eerie that day going home...I tried to go to the local hospital to donate blood but they wouldn't let us in. They needed roads to be clear for victims if necessary (we are a good 45 minutes from NYC) but they never came. The sky was black for days...it matched our moods.

My daughter was 3.5 months old...I held her a little tighter that day as I prayed for the children who lost parents.

Jipster
09-11-2007, 08:46 PM
We actually had just gotten to the beach the day before for a week's vacation. I think I spent most my whole vacation sitting in the condo, watching TV and crying. When I went down to the beach, I'd have my radio and listen to nothing but news. We were vacationing near an Air Force base and the amount of military planes and helicopters out was very scary.