PDA

View Full Version : Disney Dollar News

SunshineGirl
10-02-2009, 12:17 PM
Unfortunately, Disney has confirmed that they will no longer be selling Disney Dollars through their Disney Stores. In addition, you cannot buy them online. You can buy them by mail but you cannot use credit cards, have to pay for express shipping, and are capped at $300. :(

Because of this, I have had to pull the Disney Dollars as a redemption option. I do currently have it up as a Super Member cashout that SMs (and SM Plus) can do once a month. I think I can get my hands on enough each quarter to keep a limited supply on hand....just not the thousands of dollars that we usually go through each month.

I'm going to continue to explore some options, but I wanted to let everyone know. Supposedly Disney plans on "expanding" the gift card program somehow.

AlternateEgo
10-02-2009, 12:38 PM
Honestly, I had no idea these were so popular. I would have thought the Gift Cards were first choice.:sunshine:

arob414
10-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Honestly, I had no idea these were so popular. I would have thought the Gift Cards were first choice.:sunshine:

I used to buy them, in the past, for Easter baskets, stocking stuffers, etc. My girls can get a better handle on how money they have "left" when they can see it. Plus, they just like them.

bbangel
10-02-2009, 01:05 PM
That is too bad as I know the kids really like them. I was planning to get some for my niece before we go in June.

disney_girl
10-02-2009, 01:07 PM
That is disappointing. I prefer the gift cards, but I know a lot of tooth fairies that use the Disney Dollars!:(

gpp2001
10-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Can they be bought at Disneyland or Disney World? We go to Disneyland about once a month - I could purchase them for you. I don't know how that would work but it's something to think about if they can be bought at Disneyland.

Karn

Alice28
10-02-2009, 02:11 PM
Disappointing, but we all understand that it's totally out of your hands, Tricia. I too like to mostly cash out for gift cards, but Disney Dollars are fun for the kids, and fun to have on hand for quick treats at WDW. I bought some for my kids last night at the DS cause it's a way to MAKE them save their money for WDW- we traded their allowances in for the dollars. Glad we didn't wait another week! For those of you who do this, the CM I talked to last night said Saturday would be the last day they sell them in store.

I've also been going in tho, and loading $20-40 at a time on one of my gift cards as another way to make myself save for our trip. (can you tell I have issues with saving?)

cjnix32
10-02-2009, 02:20 PM
are they phasing this out, or is it a done deal, right now? I liked being able to buy them online using my disney rewards card, when it was about to expire!

SunshineGirl
10-02-2009, 02:26 PM
are they phasing this out, or is it a done deal, right now? I liked being able to buy them online using my disney rewards card, when it was about to expire!

I don't know how it is going to impact the Disney Rewards Card ones. They just are not selling them in the stores anymore. I have a feeling that they are being phased out, though, across the board before too long.

chipndale
10-04-2009, 06:00 PM
Oh that is a shame - the tooth fairy and Easter bunny used them alot.

iluvamystery89
10-04-2009, 07:42 PM
what a bummer :( especially for the tooth fairies and santas who used them. thanks for the heads-up, tricia. we know you do your best and it'll work out somehow. :thumbsup:

Pooh's Pal
10-04-2009, 08:05 PM
That's too bad, before SR I used to get Disney Dollars every so often at my local Disney Store, then that closed. Then I would pick them up at Disney World....love the different ones that they had!
For my "big" birthday I got 50 ten dollar ones on a halloweeny looking black tree...my friends folded them up, just like you'd see on a money tree at someones party! It was soooo cool!

jnorth1007
10-05-2009, 08:32 AM
Just a suggestion for those of you who use them for kids and want the kids to understand the importance of money. I have heard a lot of people who create their own Disney Dollars on the computer. They print them out and give them to the kids. They keep gift cards with the actual dollar amount on them. When they get to Disney the kids handle the fake money as they would Disney Dollars but at the last minute mom pays with the gift card and takes the fake money from the kids. This helps with "lost" money because if they lose it you aren't out of the money and can just print more.

fourfoxesinpa
10-05-2009, 09:00 AM
That's too bad, before SR I used to get Disney Dollars every so often at my local Disney Store, then that closed. Then I would pick them up at Disney World....love the different ones that they had!
For my "big" birthday I got 50 ten dollar ones on a halloweeny looking black tree...my friends folded them up, just like you'd see on a money tree at someones party! It was soooo cool!

Oooooh, I want friends like that when I have my "big" birthday! :clap:

athoods
10-05-2009, 09:15 AM
thanks for the info Tricia.

m 'n c
10-05-2009, 12:59 PM
Just a suggestion for those of you who use them for kids and want the kids to understand the importance of money. I have heard a lot of people who create their own Disney Dollars on the computer. They print them out and give them to the kids. They keep gift cards with the actual dollar amount on them. When they get to Disney the kids handle the fake money as they would Disney Dollars but at the last minute mom pays with the gift card and takes the fake money from the kids. This helps with "lost" money because if they lose it you aren't out of the money and can just print more.

That is a really good idea. I guess you could also have the CM take them and throw them away for you while you are giving them the GC if you didn't want to continue hauling them around.