PDA

View Full Version : My family, Sis's family, Mom and dad

linanglab
10-01-2007, 07:22 AM
I finally talked DH into letting my take the kids to WDW next July. My brother in law is graduating in Florida (he has been taking online classes for awhile) and they are going to make a trip out of it. My family has not taken a vacation with my Mom and Dad ever. So I really wanted to go. I really did not think DH would go for it, but he sort of gave me the okay yesterday! I am quite excited. I am not going to tell the kids yet, just in case something falls through. I am going to have to save quite a bit of $$$. I am going to have to work extra hard on SR too.

I think that this will be more of a surprise trip for the kids. It won't be our normal 10 day trip. We have always flown, but we will be driving with my parents and sisters family. We are going to most likely rent a passenger van for the trip. Anyone know how much those go for???? We will only be staying probably 4 days, but it will be nice to go 2 years in a row, with a possiblity of a 3rd year in 2009 - which would be our "normal" year to go.

Thought I would share my excitement with all of you who understand! Thanks for listening!

LuvMyBoys
10-01-2007, 09:56 AM
Congrats Angela!! I bet you guys will have a great time! We have driven several times and it's not that bad. Especially when the kids are older and can appreciate seeing all of the different states and stuff. :)

We've never rented a big passenger van but I know that Alamo rents them and they have a lot of codes for discounts. The Transportation thread on the DIS helped us with our last rental as far as codes and tips.

I think a 4 day trip will be just right when you haven't travelled with the extended family before. That way if the vacation styles are different, people get on each other's nerves, or you are accused of being a Disney drill sergeant (just kidding :rotfl: )....then you only have to deal with it for a few days instead of 10!!

Have fun planning!! :love:

pbhall13
10-09-2007, 08:43 AM
Angela

That is great...........if I were you I would look into DVC renting points...

A few questions.....would your whole family (parents and sisters) be staying at Disney with you or will it just be you and the kids?

Also do you know what days you will be there (it is cheaper to stay DVC Sunday thru thursday....not all of those days consecutively, but in general Sunday night thru thursday night are always the cheapest. Friday Sat double price!)

Also as per tickets.....you may want to look into annual passes if you know that this trip and the trip in 2009 will be within 1 year of each other. That way both years tickets will be accounted for (a little more upfront but in the long run it will be a cheaper option. )

Okay enough of me rambling........can you tell I love to plan disney trips (even if they aren't for me, my friends all have me book their vacations...it never gets old for me.....)

Pamela

Magical JenK
10-09-2007, 10:41 AM
Angela! This is AWESOME news! :cooldance: I'm so happy for you! I know you were really hoping this could happen!! Pixie dust is for sure all around you!!

You'll have so much fun! I know you said you're family has never traveled w/your parents, but have you ever gone to Disney w/your sister's family? Be sure to post how it goes next July!! Fun, fun, fun!!

coastalgirl
10-09-2007, 11:30 AM
YAY for you!! :cooldance: Glad you get to go!! It will be so much fun.

bs4free
10-09-2007, 12:22 PM
Yeah WOOT!!!! That sounds like a fun extended Family Trip and should be lots of fun!!!!!

dreamer13079
10-14-2007, 03:53 PM
I am very excited for you!! July is going to be here before you know it. Have you told your kids yet? Are they so excited??

linanglab
10-15-2007, 06:10 AM
We are still not sure on the dates. I am hoping it is the week AFTER July 4th because if it IS July 4th week, I won't be able to go. We will be in VA Beach on my "normal" family vacation!

I checked rates for a passenger van. I must be doing something wrong because it was like $1100 and limited mileage and 25 cent per miles after 1000. TOO MUCH MONEY!!! By the time you add in gas and a hotel on the way and back, if we found decent airfare, it would almost be cheaper for me to fly! I will have to check the DIS to see on codes, etc.

We will all be staying at the same place. Sis wants to stay at one of the All Stars. Wherever they stay is where we will stay. Her boys are 7, 6, 4 and one on the way (will be 4 months).

My kids do not know. I am not going to tell them until either the week before we leave or the day that we leave. This is just in case something falls through and we cannot go. I do not want them to be disappointed.

I am trying to talk DH into taking a day or 2 of vacation and fly down to meet us for a little while. He is stubborn and probably wont. (His work is that he works 2 days, off 2 days, works 3 days, off 2 days, and keeps rotating). So he really could take just one day off and spend almost 3 days in Disney with us. We will see.

I would like to get seasons pass IF we know for sure that we are goint in 2009 and if the extra money is saved. I don't like to have debt and like to pay things up front. So we will see on that one! Just the thought of having a seasons pass sounds so fun!