PDA

View Full Version : Open All Junk Mail!

Blessing and Miracle
10-08-2007, 01:35 PM
Just wanted to let you all know that last week I received four statements for new subscriptions, either to books or magazines. I normally don't open mail that I can't identify, but for some reason I did. I simply wrote cancel across the bill and enclosed it into the envelope and mailed it back! So be careful about throwing "junk" mail away. One day we might want to suscribe to that magazine company and can't because we "owe" money that we aren't even aware of. I definitely remeber seeing some of those while during offers, but they were suppose to be "free newsletters" and trust me, I read the fine print.

bs4free
10-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Thank you i will keep an eye out in the mail...

jfrog
10-08-2007, 01:58 PM
YIKES! I too have learned to open all junk mail! Just last week I was tossing some out and came across an envelope that I didn't open -- it had a $5.00 check in it from some survey I did - got a bonus for some reason!. I'll take it!! I also keep a look out for the invoices that need to have cancel written on them and be sent back - Thanks for the reminder!!!

DooDahDay
10-08-2007, 02:52 PM
I also have been receiving magazines (and bills for magazines) which I am absolutely positive I did not sign up for since I really read the fine print when doing offers. A couple of weeks ago I got a "Birds and Blooms" magazine thanking me for my online order. I sent the invoice back marked "Did not order- Cancel". Anyone else get this particular magazine??

minigirl
10-08-2007, 03:21 PM
I also have been receiving magazines (and bills for magazines) which I am absolutely positive I did not sign up for since I really read the fine print when doing offers. A couple of weeks ago I got a "Birds and Blooms" magazine thanking me for my online order. I sent the invoice back marked "Did not order- Cancel". Anyone else get this particular magazine??

No, but I did receive a bill for Prevention magazine. I wrote cancel on the bill and returned it the next day. We then left for our cruise only to come home a week later to 2 Prevention magazines. I need to call I guess. I don't know if I can simply return the magazine or not.

Iteach
10-08-2007, 03:53 PM
I have not gotten any magazines, but did have a charge on my phone bill last month that I didn't recognize. It was for some long distance carrier. I immediately called AT&T and the charge was removed. Somewhere along the line she said I probably clicked on something, website or link and they signed me up without my permission. She said it does happen. She placed the charge in dispute and said I did not have to pay it. So watch your phone bills as well.

eaglesdare
10-08-2007, 03:54 PM
i did not get the magazine but i got the bill for birds and blossom.

chipndale
10-08-2007, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I guess I will have to start and check all junk mail. :(

Blessing and Miracle
10-08-2007, 04:19 PM

I got that one too!:rotfl:

I even got a Rachel Ray Magazine, I'll admit that it was very entertaining to read. I loved it! :rotfl:

MamaO
10-08-2007, 10:46 PM

I didn't get the magazine but I did get the invoice for Birds and Blooms a few days ago - I expect the magazine is on its way. I sent the invoice back with 'cancel' written across it as well. About a month ago, I also got a Rachel Ray magazine with the invoice in the plastic wrap. I've been doing offers for over a year, and this is the first time anything like this has happened.

phillygal3
10-09-2007, 12:03 AM
I have not gotten any magazines, but did have a charge on my phone bill last month that I didn't recognize. It was for some long distance carrier. I immediately called AT&T and the charge was removed. Somewhere along the line she said I probably clicked on something, website or link and they signed me up without my permission. She said it does happen. She placed the charge in dispute and said I did not have to pay it. So watch your phone bills as well.

OMG so did i, it was for like $15 and boy was my husband mad! he called the phone company and it was linked back to my email address. apparently one of the surveys i did went and signed me up for some kind of internet access and billed it to my home phone!

MdCaterer
10-11-2007, 12:04 AM

Yes, I got this one too and cancelled it right away. I did not agree to sign up for that magazine.

emtntn
10-11-2007, 08:22 AM
I got a bill yeseterday for 14.97 for my subscription to "Fly Fishing". OMG of all magazines I sure wouldn't subscribe to it.

DooDahDay
10-11-2007, 08:27 AM
I got another bill yesterday This one was $14.95 for a years subscription to "Fly Fisherman". I'd really like to find out where these are coming from. I have never seen either "Bird and Blooms" or "Fly Fisherman" in any of the signups. There is the "Mepps" fishing option on the MID offers but I never chose that one.

DooDahDay
10-11-2007, 08:35 AM
I got a bill yeseterday for 14.97 for my subscription to "Fly Fishing". OMG of all magazines I sure wouldn't subscribe to it.

Wow. I was posting about this at the exact same time you were!
Are you going to send it back marked cancel or just toss it?

bellanlivismom
10-11-2007, 09:56 AM
I never thought about this. Thanks for the heads up!!

Hedy
10-15-2007, 07:24 PM
Anyone else get one for Guns and Ammo?

Let's just say I'm not a guns and ammo kind of lady. :)

~Kathie
10-20-2007, 04:43 PM
I too received Fly Fishman and Golf week invoices. No magazines yet.

Ticks me off that I have to waste a stamp to cancel something I never ordered in the first place. I did notice that BOTH magazines have a Palm Coast Florida address.

I'm going to do some research and if I come up with phone numbers or email address I'll post them.

Found the contact info.
Flyfisherman (https://subs.intermediaoutdoors.com/pcd/eServ?iServ=MDE0MkE0NDY5MyZpVHlwZT1FTlRFUg==)

I logged in using the email address I use when I do offers and sure enough......there was my name and address (I use an abbreviated first name so I KNOW that is where it came from). Said my subscrition was ordered on 9-26 and was suspended for non-payment. I sent them an email through the CONTACT US link and told them to cancel....I never ordered.
I'll edit when I hear back from them.

Golfweek has no record of my order so that invoice went into the trash.

cglaura
10-20-2007, 06:17 PM
If it is obvious from the outside, like the return address has Fly Fisherman etc. and I know for sure I didn't order or it wasnt my mistake, I just write "Return to Sender" on the evelope w/out opening and drop it back in the mail. Save a stamp, they'll remove you from list. HTH!

~Kathie
10-20-2007, 06:20 PM
If it is obvious from the outside, like the return address has Fly Fisherman etc. and I know for sure I didn't order or it wasnt my mistake, I just write "Return to Sender" on the evelope w/out opening and drop it back in the mail. Save a stamp, they'll remove you from list. HTH!

Great idea, I don't know why I didn't think of that. Thanks!! I will keep that in mind if I get any others.

jfrog
10-20-2007, 08:42 PM
I did end up wasting one stamp on sending these things back...I made the mistake of opening one of them cuz I had no clue what it was...yep, an invoice. Since I opened it, I had to pay postage to mail back to them, but the other 4(!) I did not open and just marked Return to Sender/Cancel. I also got one from Prevention and 2 days later the complimentary 1st issue. Returned those too. I don't remember checking yes to any offers like these-they must be hidden in with others?? At least the phone calls have dwindled and the credits keep going up!!:sunshine:

breyandra
10-24-2007, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the valuable tip! I usually throw junk mail away without looking at it but I won't in the future. When I have extra time I come in and read the posts in the forum and I sure am glad I read about this. I wish I had time to read more since I just joined in Sept. and there's probably a lot I still need to learn in SR.

DooDahDay
10-25-2007, 06:12 PM
I just got another invoice and magazine from Fly Fisherman even though I sent the first one back marked "cancel". If they did indeed get us to subscribe to their publication, it was quite obviously done in the most underhanded, deceptive way possible.

I agree that in order for GPT sites to survive the advertisers need to be protected from fraud. Unfortunately, it appears as though fraud goes both ways. Maybe when Tricia gets back she can look into where these are coming from and pull the offers.

missymouse
10-25-2007, 06:22 PM
I think they may be coming from the MID, SE, Brandarama, etc. offers where you have to click yes to something on the first page in order to continue. It almost looks like it is an e-mail newsletter but it is actually a magazine subscription. Then they don't give you a chance to say no after clicking it.

DisAddicts
11-03-2007, 01:33 PM
I too have received a bill from Fly Fisherman and Fitness magazine for a subscription I never signed up for. I found an 800#, and asked the rep at Fitness how they got my info. She said it came from a website called Healthy America Test. I can't find any info on this company, though.