PDA

View Full Version : Luggage

disney_girl
03-04-2010, 09:56 PM
We are looking for some new luggage...what are good brands that you would recommend? I'm not really interested in the "sets", but would rather just get a couple of the largest ones. Thanks for any advice!:)

m 'n c
03-04-2010, 10:05 PM
I like Atlantic luggage and DVF (Diane vonFuestenberg). I have luggage from both and they have held up nicely over the years. DVF I found at bagsbuy and used a discount code last year when I ordered it. I think Macy's and similar stores carry Atlantic (I don't know about bagsbuy).

m 'n c
03-04-2010, 10:07 PM
http://www.bagsbuy.com/diane-von-furstenberg-giselle-rolling-city-bag/357278/760166
I bought this one to carry on the plane. It is the largest one allowable.

PSL1013
03-04-2010, 10:17 PM
We are looking for some new luggage...what are good brands that you would recommend? I'm not really interested in the "sets", but would rather just get a couple of the largest ones. Thanks for any advice!:)

I have really good luck with Atlantic brand...been using the same bag now for about 5-6 years with an average of two round trips per year and it's still going strong. If you have a Macy's, they have great sales on luggage all the time and that's where we buy ours from. Don't buy cheap ones if you are flying, they don't last long at all, a friend of mine bought really cheap ones at Kohl's and they lasted only two flights before one of the wheels was missing. :rotfl: Try to get ones that have reinforced edges on all the corners which helps with the wear and tear, mine have thick ribbed plastic corners. My next luggage is going to have those spinner wheels, I just bought one at Walmart that I use for a wheeled carryon and they are so easy to maneuver when you are having to wheel more than one piece of luggage. Good Luck.

m 'n c
03-04-2010, 10:18 PM
I think Atlantic luggage has a warranty on them but I don't remember the details.

PSL1013
03-04-2010, 10:19 PM
I think Atlantic luggage has a warranty on them but I don't remember the details.

Yes, it's like 10 years I think. They really hold up, I'm very happy with mine.

~Kathie
03-04-2010, 11:56 PM
I bought a set at Target 10 years ago....it was Eddie Bauer. It's just starting to fall apart and we have used it a lot.

We also have 2-25" American Tourister that I bought at Kohl's on sale. Can't beat those 50% off sales with a 30% off coupon and then Kohl's cash.

We find that the 25" are easier to maneuver than the larger bags. We also have a rolling duffle....I think it's High Sierra. For our 2 week trip to Alaska and BC we used the 2 AT, the duffle and the medium EB. Nothing matched.....didn't bother me. :rotfl: We fit 2 weeks worth of clothes and supplies including hiking boots, winter jackets, hats, gloves, dress clothes and shoes. I was conservative and only took 4 pair besides my hiking boots. :rotfl:

There are so many brands out there, good luck deciding.

m 'n c
03-05-2010, 12:12 AM
Oh and don't forget the larger they are the heavier they are. My friend took the largest allowable size for her Europe trip last year and was unpacking in the airport because her luggage was overweight. She thought she'd be fine since she didn't fill it up but she didn't take into account how heavy the luggage is to begin with.

PSL1013
03-05-2010, 09:53 AM
Oh and don't forget the larger they are the heavier they are. My friend took the largest allowable size for her Europe trip last year and was unpacking in the airport because her luggage was overweight. She thought she'd be fine since she didn't fill it up but she didn't take into account how heavy the luggage is to begin with.

That's where those luggage scales come in handy...I carry mine with me too for the trip back home. We have a really large Atlantic bag that was part of a set and we used to use before all these airline restrictions went into place, back then you were allowed up to 75lbs. I tried packing it for one of our cruises and it ended up weighing over the 50lbs. and it wasn't even full...not worth it at all and I'm really thinking of tossing it as I don't think I will ever use it again. :(

m 'n c
03-05-2010, 09:55 AM
I did buy her a luggage scale for Christmas. :) I love mine and it works like a charm.

disney_girl
03-05-2010, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the recommendations- at least it's a starting point. I LOVE my luggage scale- take it on every trip!!

m 'n c
03-05-2010, 11:50 AM
I was thinking about one of my former roommates this morning as I was going to Starbucks (she was addicted) and I remember she used Travelpro luggage. She traveled across country alot and that is what she bought to use. It held up really well.

I also remember reading a lot of recommendations for Tumi luggage but I remember that it runs a little pricey.

PSL1013
03-05-2010, 12:00 PM
I was thinking about one of my former roommates this morning as I was going to Starbucks (she was addicted) and I remember she used Travelpro luggage. She traveled across country alot and that is what she bought to use. It held up really well.

I also remember reading a lot of recommendations for Tumi luggage but I remember that it runs a little pricey.

Supposedly the best is http://www.briggs-riley.com/ but they are expensive. Our last 2 pieces we bought are Travelpro, on clearance at Macy's, they are the ugliest copper color you ever saw but easily spotted when coming off the carousel! :rotfl: Atlantic is a division of Travelpro or vise-versa, I think Travelpro is a step up?

disney_girl
03-05-2010, 12:04 PM
You all have brought up good points on the weight and all. Definitely want something that lasts. I'm also ll about getting a color that is a little easier to spot. We got red before it became so popular,but now that's even hard to spot at times. We were looking online last night and my husband seemed to draw the line at purple :rotfl: he said he just coud not do purple! (me either though). So, off to check out some luggage!

sunshinecindy
03-05-2010, 12:11 PM
I don't know about brands, I've found them all to be pretty competitive as far as lasting if they are a brand name, however, I can tell you, I would not get a piece of luggage that is not a spinner. They are so much easier to use then the regular wheeled luggage. I've bought several pieces of luggage at luggageonline and have been extremely happy with their service and durability.

m 'n c
03-05-2010, 12:16 PM
I have purple and my carry on is hot pink. You can always tie a ribbon to the handle to help you identify it on the luggage carousel. I use the hot pink and purple ribbons from VS for my luggage identification. LOL

disney_girl
03-05-2010, 01:27 PM
Yes, we've used the ribbon tied to the luggage too- definitely helps. I didn't even know about the spinner wheels until this discussion so I'm glad I asked. Especially since the wheels are the issue with our current luggage!