PDA

View Full Version : Could my computer's problems be due to sites I visit here?

momof3lovebugs
04-09-2010, 01:46 PM
I am having some serious computer issues lately. My computer has started freezing up multiple times a day where I have to shut it down from the hard drive b/c my cursor is frozen along with the page. My dh thinks it's due to my 'visiting all kinds of weird websites on that forum you belong to' :confused:
Could he be right. It has gotten so bad that I am shutting down and restarting at least half a dozen times a day. It froze in the middle of a survey yesterday. LUckily I caught another but I am very frustrated. I clear my cookies daily. Any ideas what could be causing this? :confused:

mollyeilis
04-09-2010, 02:20 PM
Well, you do have to do more than clear cookies to keep the computer healthy. Especially if you have a PC (vs a Mac).

This (http://www.sunshinerewardsforum.com/showthread.php?t=2425) is a nice thread about ways to keep the computer clean and free of problems.

momof3lovebugs
04-09-2010, 02:31 PM
We run scans periodically. I just ran one last night and it didn't find anything. Dh thinks that some of these sites put up something called key loggers or some other stuff I know nothing whatsoever about. I was in the middle of a survey 5 minutes ago and it froze.
My dh will NOT let me install anything w/o his permission b/c he is very nervous about that stuff. I am so frustrated right now!! :cry: I've been doing so well this month and now all I see is my inability to keep up here. I know in the grand scheme of things it's very small and unimportant but it has kept me preoccupied lately which is a very good thing.

SunshineGirl
04-09-2010, 02:37 PM
You just have to be careful not to download anything. But we never ask people to do offers unless we test the downloads. I would think that if you were picking something bad up, someone else would be as well and we haven't been getting any complaints on anything. Maybe it's other freebie sites you are visiting?

TxAggies
04-09-2010, 03:44 PM
We run scans periodically. I just ran one last night and it didn't find anything. Dh thinks that some of these sites put up something called key loggers or some other stuff I know nothing whatsoever about. I was in the middle of a survey 5 minutes ago and it froze.
My dh will NOT let me install anything w/o his permission b/c he is very nervous about that stuff. I am so frustrated right now!! :cry: I've been doing so well this month and now all I see is my inability to keep up here. I know in the grand scheme of things it's very small and unimportant but it has kept me preoccupied lately which is a very good thing.

You may already know this, but I learned the hard way a few years ago that in addition to running scans, we need to keep our virus definitions updated. Otherwise, your scan won't pick up recently released threats. Just something to think about in case you aren't already doing that.

You just have to be careful not to download anything. But we never ask people to do offers unless we test the downloads. I would think that if you were picking something bad up, someone else would be as well and we haven't been getting any complaints on anything. Maybe it's other freebie sites you are visiting?

I once picked up a trojan virus from downloading a toolbar from a seemingly harmless source...not!!! So now, I never download anything like that. And even though I have only been a member of SR for a year, I have never had any problems from any of the activities I do here.

momof3lovebugs
04-09-2010, 05:38 PM
You just have to be careful not to download anything. But we never ask people to do offers unless we test the downloads. I would think that if you were picking something bad up, someone else would be as well and we haven't been getting any complaints on anything. Maybe it's other freebie sites you are visiting? My friend Alice28 suggested it might be due to the game apps on facebook so I went to check on those. OMGOODNESS! I can't believe how many apps I had given permission to that I never ever use (probably allowed when I first started using it....) and I deleted almost all of them. (I am still reluctant to let bejeweled blitz go :blush:)
and voila! I was able to log in here AND complete the gf and ytc surveys!! :banana::cooldance::party:
Yay Robin! I am hoping this was the issue!!! soooooooo cool!
I had signed up for a few other free survey sites but this is the only one I use. I am also on ********s.com......wonder if that could be a problem too....didn't download their toolbar tho, and won't b/c dh is super against anything extra on the puter.
Hopefully the issue will be resolved and not come up again....I was seriously going into SR withdrawal today!!! :rotfl:

momof3lovebugs
04-10-2010, 01:13 PM
well, still having issues:( hoping to get it fixed over the weekend...taking surveys on my mini is taking tooooo looooooong!:rotfl:

Iteach
04-10-2010, 01:31 PM
I have been a member of SR for 3 years and have never had any of the problems that you described. I am on a MAC and I do think that can make a difference regarding viruses. IMHO, MAC's are better protected and much less likely to pick things up that you don't want, but I think there are probably more PC users on here who don't seem to have any problems at all doing everything on SR.

I hope you can resolve your computer issues soon!