PDA

View Full Version : Good place for pet supplies?

krg1968
05-24-2007, 12:21 PM
My beagle has itchy skin several times a year and I need to buy her something like a neck cone and maybe some vitamins.
Any SR shopping site suggestions?
Any general dog related suggestions?

luvdisney00
05-24-2007, 12:26 PM
Have you tried Pet Care RX? They have a lot of stuff and once I ordered from them, they keep sending me coupons in the mail. :)

krg1968
05-24-2007, 12:37 PM
Thanks! Now I am trying to figure out what to try first.

zoodoyle
05-24-2007, 01:31 PM
Do you already use flea prevention? I ask because I used to work in a vets office, and I'd say 80% of dogs who would come in for itching/scratching, would end up having fleas - and the owners always SWORE they didn't have them, or at least the owner had never seen them. But they're sneaky little buggers!!! A good test is to use a flea comb (or as fine a comb/brush as you have) on the dog as it is standing over white paper towels. When you are done, look for "pepper" on the paper towel. If you find ANY, then the dog has fleas. The pepper is actually dried flea poop :) If you take the paper towel and moisten the pepper slightly, you'll see it turn red - dried blood! Sorry if it's too much info for some, but I hate to see dogs a-scratching all the time when it could easily be fixed!! If your dog doesn't have fleas, then I'm afraid I'm not much help to you :confused: Could be seasonal allergies, though a vet may be your best bet then!! Good luck to you!! :sunshine:

krg1968
05-24-2007, 03:31 PM
We're pretty sure it isn't fleas, but I will check her the way you described to be safe. She had trouble last year around this time to so I was thinking it was allergies. Thanks!

wilsonfamily4
05-24-2007, 04:17 PM
Not to talk too bad about petcarerx but there is another thread going on about them right now. I personally will not buy from them again because of this other thread. I am not sure where else to buy from though. :)

rhiannonwales
05-24-2007, 04:21 PM
Ive used petffoddirect.com for pet stuff and i *think* they prescription stuff too.They are also participating with sunshine.

luvdisney00
05-24-2007, 04:34 PM
I recommended Pet care Rx earlier, but I suggest you read the other thread about them. I wouldn't buy from them now either.

Sorry for the confusion!

3dog2kidmom
05-24-2007, 08:13 PM
I recommended Pet care Rx earlier, but I suggest you read the other thread about them. I wouldn't buy from them now either.

Sorry for the confusion!

I wouldn't patronize PetCare RX anymore either. As for the beagle...

Several years ago we switched our VERY ITCHY lab to Purina ONE for sensitive systems. His fur changed almost overnight. The formula with salmon helped him a lot. We have to get prescriptions for him occasionally - steroids, special shampoo, and some other stuff - but the food has really helped.

My little beagle had a rash this weekend on her tummy from trying to chase the labs around the field, and I just gave her a bath with my Arbonne shampoo (wonderful stuff for adults, kids, and the pets!!) and she was fine two days later.

I have had good luck getting pet supplies online from Petco and Petsmart -- both through Sunshine.

sunshinecindy
05-24-2007, 09:20 PM
Sounds like allergies are quite a possiblity with your beagle since its seasonal. My guess is not food allergy or it would be year round. Even one flea bite can send a dog that is allergic to flea bites into a fit of scratching and itching. Is your dog experiencing any hair loss or thinning at towards the base of his tail. Thats usually where flea pattern allergy starts. It could be just an allegy to thinks like pollen, or oak or whatever happens to be blooming around your house this time of year. A little benedryl can help with that, though it may make him a bit drowsy. Are his eyes running, or nose real moist, any cough or do you hear any raspy breathing? I could tell you a hundred things that you could use to help like prednisone, or a dextamethasone shot, or kenalog shot, but if the allergy is really bad, you may want to make a quick visit to your vet for evaluation. Usually once its determined what the cause is, then all you have to do is call your vet yearly to get whatever meds they prescribe. Always use flea control this time of year.

krg1968
05-25-2007, 12:33 PM
I feel so dumb, and like such a bad doggie mom!
Brownie has fleas! Well, she had them. We checked her last night, and found some, so we got her some shampoo and a new box of the flea control drops at Wal-mart. I can't believe I have been letting her scratch for the last week and didn't notice it was fleas. We had just bathed her a couple of weeks ago and she seemed to be fine, but I guess they just cropped up somewhere she goes.
We will treat the yard and keep treating her. I hadn't thought about her being allergic to the fleas, I will keep that in mind.
Thanks, everyone, for all the great suggestions.:)

rhiannonwales
05-25-2007, 12:57 PM
I'm not a vet but if i were you i'd think twice about using flea drops purchased OTC, like Hartz. Theyve been linked to serious side effects.
http://www.hartzvictims.org/index.php

sunshinecindy
05-25-2007, 05:45 PM
Most definately do not buy your pet flea products at Walmart. First off, the ones you apply to your back in liquid form have pesticides in them, and I have seen them do quite a bit of damage to small dogs. You may pay a little more for frontline or advantage, but they are definately worth it in risk factor. As for flea shampoo, Dawn dish detergent is probably the best flea killer you will find, and good for those greasy coated dogs, but do use a cream rinse after, even a persons will do. Let your dog soak for about 10 min after soaping him up, you will be amazed at the amount of fleas you get off. Remember,to use a wash cloth to clean around the face and eyes, if possible, put mineral oil in the eyes first to avoid getting soap in them. If you start washing in the middle of you dog, all the fleas are going to run into the ears, eyes and butt end, so start at the back and front and work into the middle.

krg1968
05-25-2007, 06:43 PM
We did buy Hartz, thanks for the warning. She doesn't have a negative reaction to their products, except for the fact they don't work very well. We will order some Advantix online for long-term use. She is temporarily flea-free (try typing that, it's hard!) and we promise to better doggie parents!
Thanks again for all the advice!
kelly

krg1968
05-25-2007, 06:57 PM
I just ordered Advantix from Petco online. I'm a good mommy!

mom2dea
05-25-2007, 07:32 PM
Where is the cheapest place to order the flea control and heart worm meds online or even in person ? Sence moving 2 months ago we have not treated our 2 dogs and we need to sence now we have a HUGE back yard that they are always playing in . thanks for the help !

Sarah