PDA

View Full Version : Those of you earning Disney GC's for Disney Vacations...

elohcin76
05-21-2010, 08:03 PM
I was wondering...I'm still sort of a "newbie" here at only 8 months and a measly $150ish. ;) (though I DID take a break to give birth :rotfl: I blame my low earnings on that!) But anyway, for those of you earning Disney GC's for Disney vacations, do you wait and cash out in one big amount or do you collect smaller GC's along the way?

We're going at the end of Jan '11 and initially I was just planning on cashing out in Oct/Nov, but now I'm wondering if I should just start doing like $25-$50 GCs at a time or something? (this is mostly for spending $$ so I don't mind smaller GC's) It would be more fun and encouraging I think to just cash out more along the way, so is there any reason NOT to do that? What do you guys do?

jnorth1007
05-21-2010, 08:15 PM
I have cashed out in the past at small cards and found it to be a pain in the butt to track which card had money left and how much. This time I am going for a $500 card! I am 1.01 away from $400 and we go in October so I know I will get there. I would suggest letting go until you are about 8 weeks out and then cash out for whatever you have. I am going to use my key to the kingdom card and a check register to track what I am charging to it and then I will pay off the room charges with the $500 gift card. Very easy. Last time I used 7 gift cards at $100 each to pay off the room and it took FOREVER to clear the charges at the counter. I keep my ticker to help me track my earnings and keep me excited!

elohcin76
05-21-2010, 08:19 PM
I know quite a few people who charge to their KTTW and then pay upon checkout...I guess I've always been too scared to do it. LOL Is there a way to track how much you've spent? Like can you request a printout each night at the front desk or something? Are there any fees or anything for charging to it?

iluvamystery89
05-21-2010, 08:23 PM
i have to agree...i'd wait until vacation was about 8 weeks away, then cash out for as much as i could. i had 3 different GC last june on our wdw vacation, and it was a pain to keep up with which one i was using at the time, lol. however, in about 18 months, i had earned enough money on SR to pay for 7 days worth of food (including 3 TS meals) and i had $30.00 left over! good luck!

Alice28
05-21-2010, 11:49 PM
I agree- get the bigger card! All the little cards are a PITB to keep track of. One time I kept cashing out at $50 and $100 increments. When we got to the Boardwalk resort (staying DVC), I went to pay for our dining plan with the giftcards, and was so embarrassed cause it was sort of a big connundrum for the CM to apply my 10-12 gift cards towards the plan. :blush: So now I just try to have 1-2 bigger increment cards, with one going towards the dining plan, and 1 to cover 'incidentals' like souvenirs, booze, etc. :sunshine2:

I plan on cashing out as soon as I get to $250 for my fall Disneyland trip....and then I'm gonna see how much I can earn in a year to go for our August 2011 WDW trip. With all these surveys, the sky is the limit! :party:

shmily1
05-22-2010, 09:11 AM
I've gotten them in smaller amounts and it kind of keeps me motivated. Now, all that was BEFORE DGS was born... now that he's here, I'm having a time trying to figure out how to get anything! :) I'm going to keep at it though!!

m 'n c
05-22-2010, 09:13 AM
Last time we went to Disney I had a ton of $25 cards. Luckily my earnings were going towards paying for our vacation package and you can pay online with your Disney cards. If I had brought those down with me and tried to keep track of them I think I would have gone insane.

So I'd cash out for either $100 cards or higher unless you are going to use them to pay off a vacation package online.

PSL1013
05-22-2010, 09:15 AM
I always go for the big one ($500). I don't like carrying multiple cards around and I also don't like paying the .40 additional charge to cash out for the lower denominations! :D

elohcin76
05-22-2010, 09:26 AM
I always go for the big one ($500). I don't like carrying multiple cards around and I also don't like paying the .40 additional charge to cash out for the lower denominations! :D

See that's what I was wondering...if there was a small fee or something. I've never cashed out before (nor have I really even looked around at the GC's LOL). So I wasn't sure.

I think I'll go somewhere in between. Maybe $50-$100 GC's (depending on how much I get). I'd like to give DD her own to use down there so I'll want a smaller one for that, but I think I'm going to *consider* using the KTTW to charge to if I can find more info on that...

PSL1013
05-22-2010, 09:51 AM
See that's what I was wondering...if there was a small fee or something. I've never cashed out before (nor have I really even looked around at the GC's LOL). So I wasn't sure.

I think I'll go somewhere in between. Maybe $50-$100 GC's (depending on how much I get). I'd like to give DD her own to use down there so I'll want a smaller one for that, but I think I'm going to *consider* using the KTTW to charge to if I can find more info on that...

Actually it's .44 cents and it's for the stamp to mail it to you...the only ones that don't have the extra stamp charge are the $500, $600 and the SM $100 one.

mollyeilis
05-23-2010, 01:02 AM
The charge is the main reason that I don't get small ones.

But if you have small cards...each time you use a GC you get a receipt with the balance of the GC and the last 4 digits of the GC number on it. So you can just wrap the receipt around the GC you just used, and in that way keep track. Or bring a little sharpie with you and mark down the new balance on the back of the GC.

All are tricks I've used at DLR...

secretmoney
05-23-2010, 06:58 AM
I usually cash out for $100 cards. I'm very paranoid about a large card being lost in the mail or me losing it. I bought a sheet of sticky back paper and cut it into strips, placing a strip on each card. This way I can keep track of balances, just crossing out the previous balance each time I but something. I know I'm obsessive, but it works for me!

arob414
05-23-2010, 07:13 AM
I usually cash out for $100 cards. I'm very paranoid about a large card being lost in the mail or me losing it. I bought a sheet of sticky back paper and cut it into strips, placing a strip on each card. This way I can keep track of balances, just crossing out the previous balance each time I but something. I know I'm obsessive, but it works for me!

That's a great idea! I have cashed out for all sizes but went with PayPal, last time because I like to use traveler's checks. I know they are probably outdated but it makes keeping up with our money easier. We are on the dining plan so most of our spending will just be for souvenirs, etc. However, I do have a $250 gc so I will use the sticky paper idea, also.

PSL1013
05-23-2010, 08:07 AM
The charge is the main reason that I don't get small ones.

But if you have small cards...each time you use a GC you get a receipt with the balance of the GC and the last 4 digits of the GC number on it. So you can just wrap the receipt around the GC you just used, and in that way keep track. Or bring a little sharpie with you and mark down the new balance on the back of the GC.

All are tricks I've used at DLR...

I do this too, wrap the receipt around the card and then when I use it again I wrap the new receipt and toss the old one...very simple system for me.

elohcin76
05-23-2010, 09:06 AM

I was wondering if anyone was worried about that! It's definitely a factor for me.

That's a great idea! I have cashed out for all sizes but went with PayPal, last time because I like to use traveler's checks. I know they are probably outdated but it makes keeping up with our money easier. We are on the dining plan so most of our spending will just be for souvenirs, etc. However, I do have a $250 gc so I will use the sticky paper idea, also.

We use travelers checks, too. LOL Except now our new bank charges for them...and our last one gave them for free with an account there...so that's kinda frustrating. But I figured we'd get as much in GC's as possible and do the rest in cash/TCs.

PSL1013
05-23-2010, 09:13 AM
I was wondering if anyone was worried about that! It's definitely a factor for me.

We use travelers checks, too. LOL Except now our new bank charges for them...and our last one gave them for free with an account there...so that's kinda frustrating. But I figured we'd get as much in GC's as possible and do the rest in cash/TCs.

Tricia mentioned that she records the number on the $500 GC that she sends out, so if there is a problem with them getting lost she can get it cancelled. Makes me feel way better knowing that.

We still use TC too but not for Disney, AAA used to have them for free but charge for them now too and our bank charges more for them so I still get them at AAA.

fourfoxesinpa
05-23-2010, 10:18 AM
I don't like the risk of carrying a huge card around all vacation long. For us, it works better to leave the room with a $50 or $100 card and use it for the day...it's usually burned out by the end of the day after meals, souvenirs, so we just toss them as we go. But, to each his own.

elohcin76
05-23-2010, 10:54 AM
I don't like the risk of carrying a huge card around all vacation long. For us, it works better to leave the room with a $50 or $100 card and use it for the day...it's usually burned out by the end of the day after meals, souvenirs, so we just toss them as we go. But, to each his own.

See that's what I was thinking, too. I like the extra security of knowing I have some of it with me, some of it with DH, and some in our safe in the room.

PSL1013
05-23-2010, 11:31 AM

See that's what I was thinking, too. I like the extra security of knowing I have some of it with me, some of it with DH, and some in our safe in the room.

This is why you need to do what you feel comfortable doing and not what everyone else likes to do...we like having it with us because we don't like carrying tons of cash, then we have it when we need it as we never know how much we are going to spend that day.

spring
05-23-2010, 01:06 PM
I have just started to cash out for $250 at a time rather than the $100 ones I was always doing. Yes, I still get charged the stamp fee, but I have no patience waiting for $500 before cashing out, lol. However, I use my gift cards towards down payments on my trip. Last year I handed my TA something like 11 Disney GC's. She was laughing, but it IS a lot of extra work for her to apply so many cards (not that she complained!) I had two $50 ones for extra expenses during the trip and once got the two confused by giving the waitress the empty one. It was very embarrassing and a one-time occurrence. I usually wrap my receipt with the balance around the card to keep me straight and throw the card away when it's empty, just like others have posted.

My advice is to go with what's most comfortable for you. We all have different ways we view using the cards.

jnorth1007
05-23-2010, 03:28 PM
I don't actually carry any gift cards in to the parks with me. That is why I use my KTTK card for everything. I know if I lose it I can walk to guest services and have the old one cancelled and a new one printed. I don't have to worry about trying to replace gift cards. My gift cards stay in my room and I charge to my KTTK. The night before check out I go and get a print out and compare it to my reciepts but you could go every night or every other night if it is more comfortable for you. This gives me a chance to check for wrong charges and get them fixed before I pay for them. Then I go to the counter and give them my gift cards (in this case it will be a $500 one) and pay off the charges to my room so nothing gets charged to my room. I like not having to carry by debit card or gift cards to the parks. I have one card to carry for each of us and I use that key all day long for fast passes, to pay for food and merchandise and for my dining plan so I know immediately if it is gone. I track my expenses very well so I don't over spend and I keep all of my reciepts in a zip pouch that attaches to my lanyard with my card and the kids' cards and the fast passes and my photopass cards. This may not work for others and is just how I prefer to do it. I agree that you have to do what feels comfortable to you otherwise you will be a nervous wreck the whole trip worrying about things. I also like that it doesn't cost me anything to get the $500 card. I have always done $200 at a time before which came in 2 $100 cards. This was fine but after the last time that I had a hand full of cards and the desk lady had issues getting the application of that many right I decided just to go for the big one this time! I will probably cry when I finally have that $500 baby in my hands LOL!

PSL1013
05-23-2010, 03:47 PM
I don't actually carry any gift cards in to the parks with me. That is why I use my KTTK card for everything. I know if I lose it I can walk to guest services and have the old one cancelled and a new one printed. I don't have to worry about trying to replace gift cards. My gift cards stay in my room and I charge to my KTTK. The night before check out I go and get a print out and compare it to my reciepts but you could go every night or every other night if it is more comfortable for you. This gives me a chance to check for wrong charges and get them fixed before I pay for them. Then I go to the counter and give them my gift cards (in this case it will be a $500 one) and pay off the charges to my room so nothing gets charged to my room. I like not having to carry by debit card or gift cards to the parks. I have one card to carry for each of us and I use that key all day long for fast passes, to pay for food and merchandise and for my dining plan so I know immediately if it is gone. I track my expenses very well so I don't over spend and I keep all of my reciepts in a zip pouch that attaches to my lanyard with my card and the kids' cards and the fast passes and my photopass cards. This may not work for others and is just how I prefer to do it. I agree that you have to do what feels comfortable to you otherwise you will be a nervous wreck the whole trip worrying about things. I also like that it doesn't cost me anything to get the $500 card. I have always done $200 at a time before which came in 2 $100 cards. This was fine but after the last time that I had a hand full of cards and the desk lady had issues getting the application of that many right I decided just to go for the big one this time! I will probably cry when I finally have that $500 baby in my hands LOL!

You make some really good points but on another note...I like to keep the charges on my Disney Visa so that I accrue points to be able to purchase our two AP every year which is what it is used for, if I pay off my charge then I don't get the points. So, there are all ways of looking at this and everyone has their own method to the madness, no one way is right or wrong, just personal preference. :D

gpp2001
05-23-2010, 04:30 PM
I agree with all of the above!!! :rotfl:

I have been cashing out for $500 GF for the past couple of years - we really haven't taken any trips to WDW during this time - we have been taking Disney Cruises and you can't use the GC's on board - you have to charge everything to your KTTW card and then I go to the Front Desk a couple of times during the week to check room charges and apply my GC's.

Right now I have one $500 GC in hand and am nearing cashing out for another $500 GC - these will be used to pay for our Annual Passes to Disneyland as we live about 40 minutes away! and we have no cruise or WDW trip planned for at least another year.

When I did cash out for smaller amounts and used them at WDW - it was a problem sometimes in keeping track of the ones I had used and what the balances were - but there have been some good solutions suggested in this thread.

So I will continue to cash out for my $500 GC's and you will do whatever makes you feel the most comfortable!!! Whatever choice you pick will be the right one for you!!

And that's my story and I'm sticking with it!!! :D

Hedy
05-23-2010, 04:45 PM

Me too!

arob414
05-24-2010, 07:12 AM
I think everyone's ideas are great! No one way is perfect for everyone but all these ideas give me lots of differing ways to pay.

I have a question. I am going with another family but the reservations are under my name. When we get our KTTK cards, I know we each get one, but will they separate the families? If they do, I might just use the KTTK card and leave the TC at the hotel and pay back at the hotel.

jnorth1007
05-24-2010, 07:55 AM
The room charges will be by room so if you will all be in the same room they will all be bunched together. However, when you get your print out you will be able to see what card charged the item. Each of the cards have a different ending number so if you have seven people in your room you will see the numbers 1 through 7 as the ending numbers. Now, the children will not have charging priviledges so that means you won't see any charges with their cards. If you have 4 adults and all 4 are charging you just go down and pay for the charges made on your card and let them go down and pay for the charges made on their card. I think you would have to look at the printout first and total your charges and do the same for them. I look at the charges line by line anyway and compare them to my reciepts before I pay them so it wouldn't be a problem for me but you may not want to have to worry about breaking the printout down.

Also if you will be staying in seperate rooms but all in your name you will be able to charge to your room and they will be able to charge to their room as long as they are listed on the reservation to the other room their room keys will be issued for it.

fauntleroyfan
05-24-2010, 11:41 AM
i usually try and get the biggest card I can so i dont have to pay the .44 cent charge for each one to ship, like others said also easier to carry around 1 card than many.

if you are going end of jan, i would suggest like oct, nov, cash out as big as yo ucan, then try and get enough to get another before you go, good motivation at the end.

momof3lovebugs
05-24-2010, 11:50 PM
this has been interesting reading! I have cashed out for two 50.00 gc's so far. I am saving up for a bigger one this time or perhaps using a paypal cashout.....can anyone verify what the fee is on paypal? I only have a personal acct, too, so will I even be able to do a paypal cashout? I haven't looked into it yet.....
My thoughts re: the paypal thing are that I can go all the way up until Aug. 31st and then cashout and have it hit my paypal Sept. 30th (If I understand it correctly?) but if I cash out gc's then I would have to cut off by mid august to make sure they arrive by my Oct. 11th deadline. I do not want it to be a nailbiter waiting for gc's to get here right before I leave, kwim? :blush:

KJFAE
05-25-2010, 12:11 AM
I have a question about the .44 charge - I'm going to cash out for $150 soon, so it'll have to be 1 - $100 and 1 - $50. Will I have to pay the .44 on each, or is it once per order? I'm getting really close & can't wait to hit the cashout button, so that could make a difference on when it gets hit:rotfl:

arob414
05-25-2010, 06:12 AM
this has been interesting reading! I have cashed out for two 50.00 gc's so far. I am saving up for a bigger one this time or perhaps using a paypal cashout.....can anyone verify what the fee is on paypal? I only have a personal acct, too, so will I even be able to do a paypal cashout? I haven't looked into it yet.....
My thoughts re: the paypal thing are that I can go all the way up until Aug. 31st and then cashout and have it hit my paypal Sept. 30th (If I understand it correctly?) but if I cash out gc's then I would have to cut off by mid august to make sure they arrive by my Oct. 11th deadline. I do not want it to be a nailbiter waiting for gc's to get here right before I leave, kwim? :blush:

With a personal acct, there is no fee. I cashed out and had the money transferred over into my bank acct a couple days after the money hit my PayPal acct. Being able to wait a little longer is part of why I went with PayPal. Work as been so busy that I have really slacked off, this yr, in doing surveys, so I wanted to wait as long as I could to build up my money. And since I had already paid off my vacation, I wasn't sure that I wanted my money all tied up in Disney gcs.

fauntleroyfan
05-25-2010, 09:28 AM
I have a question about the .44 charge - I'm going to cash out for $150 soon, so it'll have to be 1 - $100 and 1 - $50. Will I have to pay the .44 on each, or is it once per order? I'm getting really close & can't wait to hit the cashout button, so that could make a difference on when it gets hit:rotfl:

you will have to wait till you have enough to get the .44 on each order,

i have ordered multiple cards on the same day before and they have been shipped seperate so that is why i believe each has the .44 on it.

if you are using it to pay for a trip or pay off an amount, i think there is a 100 card you can get emailed to you the GC number and then just use that to call your agent or disney and pay for your trip with it,
that is what my mom does for her cards.

momof3lovebugs
05-25-2010, 12:00 PM
With a personal acct, there is no fee. I cashed out and had the money transferred over into my bank acct a couple days after the money hit my PayPal acct. Being able to wait a little longer is part of why I went with PayPal. Work as been so busy that I have really slacked off, this yr, in doing surveys, so I wanted to wait as long as I could to build up my money. And since I had already paid off my vacation, I wasn't sure that I wanted my money all tied up in Disney gcs.

thanks so much for the reply!:sunshine: I think that is waht I will do then....earn as much as possible and then cash out w/paypal. Does it have to be in increments or is it just wahtever you have accumulated?

arob414
05-25-2010, 10:20 PM
thanks so much for the reply!:sunshine: I think that is waht I will do then....earn as much as possible and then cash out w/paypal. Does it have to be in increments or is it just wahtever you have accumulated?

I don't know that because I waited until the last possible minute to cash out, the last time, so I had plenty. However, I did just check and you are limited to $500/month. Not a problem for me, unfortunately. :p

momof3lovebugs
05-26-2010, 01:27 AM
I don't know that because I waited until the last possible minute to cash out, the last time, so I had plenty. However, I did just check and you are limited to $500/month. Not a problem for me, unfortunately. :p well, I guess if I see myself heading toward more than 500, I will cash out early in July! :rotfl: not likely! :D

kimntrent
05-26-2010, 12:57 PM
You are 1/2 way there already. You could do it but you could cash out for paypal too and get the Disney gift Cards that way through the disney site with paypal.

elohcin76
05-28-2010, 12:35 PM
That is why I use my KTTK card for everything. I know if I lose it I can walk to guest services and have the old one cancelled and a new one printed. I don't have to worry about trying to replace gift cards.

Never thought about this! Good point...that alone may be enough to convince me to just use my KTTW!

The night before check out I go and get a print out and compare it to my reciepts but you could go every night or every other night if it is more comfortable for you.

Can you pay if off nightly as well?

arob414
05-29-2010, 10:10 AM
Can you pay if off nightly as well?

I am assuming you can because you have a daily charging limit. We are staying at ASMo, this trip. Needed two rooms. Anyway, the daily limit there is $500/room. We are on the dining plan so we won't need much money, daily. And, even without the dining plan, I can't imagine spending more than $500/day. However, IF you did, you would need to pay up so you can charge more. I am planning on paying nightly. That way I can keep up with our spending and the girls will know how much money they have left to spend.

And, on a side note, I get the tingles just seeing how few days are left to our trip. :clap:

elohcin76
05-29-2010, 10:42 AM
I am assuming you can because you have a daily charging limit. We are staying at ASMo, this trip. Needed two rooms. Anyway, the daily limit there is $500/room. We are on the dining plan so we won't need much money, daily. And, even without the dining plan, I can't imagine spending more than $500/day. However, IF you did, you would need to pay up so you can charge more. I am planning on paying nightly. That way I can keep up with our spending and the girls will know how much money they have left to spend.

And, on a side note, I get the tingles just seeing how few days are left to our trip. :clap:

*I* got the tingles seeing how many days you have left!! :rotfl:

Thanks!! I think you've all convinced me...I think we'll just use our KTTW and pay it off nightly with our GC's!! We use our CC's in a similar fashion (deducting them from our balance after every transaction and then paying it off very frequently, never carrying a balance) so it should be easy for us to do. Now I just need to remember to get us lanyards. That would probably make things easier and is a better way to keep track of the card, I'm sure.