PDA

View Full Version : Help me make a decision on resort for this weekend!!!

pbhall13
11-05-2007, 01:09 PM
Okay heading down Friday night staying at Pop (why waste money on a mod/deluxe to literally only sleep!). Now the problem...........I have a reservation for the next night at the Polynesian.......I love it there but it is very pricey and I usually splurge for 1 or 2 nights per trip there and then move over to a DVC resort (we will be staying at Old Key WEst Sunday thru Friday). Well I had my contact check around for a room thru DVC (disney vacation club) because even though weekend rates are higher at DVC properties, they are still cheaper than a deluxe any night. Just found out that a room at OKW opened up for Saturday night and it is 1/2 less than Polynesian..........my realistic, frugal side says cancel Poly and stay at OKW, but my dreaming side says take Poly and suck up the difference (my girls just love this place and we weren't doing parks on Saturday........can you see where I am heading!!!) I know that right thing would be to take OKW and then I could use the extra savings for christmas.........and I could buy the meal plan for that night and it would only cost me $60 for the girls and I to eat and I would still be a savings of $150!!!)

Okay let the advice begin!!!

linanglab
11-05-2007, 01:30 PM
I am a cheapie.....I would probably stay at a VALUE the WHOLE time because I am TOO frugal....er....down right cheap.

That being said, I would LOVE to stay at the Poly. That is definitely a dream. However, I will probably never stay there because, you guessed it, I am too cheap. The only way we'd stay there is if DH surprised me.

If money is not tight, and you have the whole day to spend there....hmm....I am torn on this one too.

I say GO FOR IT!!! (Hey, it is not my money! HEE HEE!)

Good luck with your decision. It is a hard one. I will be wondering what you decide!

Magical JenK
11-05-2007, 02:10 PM
Aggghhhh...that's quite a pickle you are in Pamela! See, now I'm a dreamer and the Poly is a dream of mine...but at the same time I'm a realist...IF you've already been to Poly & want to save money, then I say take the OKW room & do the dining plan...HOWEVER, since you were already financially planning on staying at the Poly & your girls love it...will they miss out on the dining plan for the night?

My vote, keep the Poly ressie.

Let us know what you decide!!

Debbie Jean
11-05-2007, 02:27 PM
Okay heading down Friday night staying at Pop (why waste money on a mod/deluxe to literally only sleep!). Now the problem...........I have a reservation for the next night at the Polynesian.......I love it there but it is very pricey and I usually splurge for 1 or 2 nights per trip there and then move over to a DVC resort (we will be staying at Old Key WEst Sunday thru Friday). Well I had my contact check around for a room thru DVC (disney vacation club) because even though weekend rates are higher at DVC properties, they are still cheaper than a deluxe any night. Just found out that a room at OKW opened up for Saturday night and it is 1/2 less than Polynesian..........my realistic, frugal side says cancel Poly and stay at OKW, but my dreaming side says take Poly and suck up the difference (my girls just love this place and we weren't doing parks on Saturday........can you see where I am heading!!!) I know that right thing would be to take OKW and then I could use the extra savings for christmas.........and I could buy the meal plan for that night and it would only cost me $60 for the girls and I to eat and I would still be a savings of $150!!!)

Okay let the advice begin!!!

Are you a DVC member? I'm just thinking if you are, you could stay at OKW and since you're not doing a park on Saturday, pool hop to the Poly and spend the day there? Save the money by sleeping at OKW but enjoy the Poly during the day!

pbhall13
11-05-2007, 02:43 PM
Alright ladies.......my practical and frugal side kicked in and I canceled my Poly reservation...........I have been trying for a code to bring down the Poly price but nothing was available..........let's just that one night at the Poly is only a few dollars less than what I am paying to stay at OKW for 5 nights!!!!! Totally gross amount of money, but I was going to 'treat' us.....that being said....I have been able to 'treat' us on the last 2 trips to WDW by staying at Poly (nov 06 for 2 nights...comp. upgrade to Concierge and 1 night in May 07 comp upgrade to MK view)....see how they enticed me into wanting to go back.......BUT the savings will come in handy for christmas....because alas the money tree I planted in the spring did not bloom!!!!:rotfl:

Although my oldest will be a bit dissappointed I will remind her that she is going to be at Disney and we can take the boat over to downtown disney and shop at the candy store to her hearts content....I am sure at 8 that will hold her!!!

Thanks for responding!!!! Maybe I will win a night at the castle for my great frugal decision!!

wilsonfamily4
11-05-2007, 04:16 PM
I am glad you went that route. I was going to say cancel the ressie. :) I would love to stay there but if you already have then the savings this time of year are so important.

askomsky
11-05-2007, 05:09 PM
Me too, the frugal side plus time of year would have made me cancel.
Heck kids are in Disney, tell me that they won't be exicted enough over that!:)

linanglab
11-05-2007, 05:51 PM
Good for you. Think of all the $$ you saved! We are a family of 5 and stay at POR because it is THE cheapest. We almost did 2 rooms at value, but it would have cost us $400 more. Next time we will get 2 rooms. (I say that now, however, when I start doing numbers, I will see what I could save at POR!) I will be nice to have 2 bathrooms and more space for our luggage. Plus, we have never stayed at Pop or Movies. Would like to try different resorts.

arob414
11-05-2007, 07:05 PM
You have already made your decision, and being a cheapie, I would have probably gone the same way. But, my dream is to stay at the Poly. And, just reading about someone having stayed there just made me want to say oohhh, aahhh...

pbhall13
11-05-2007, 11:47 PM
Angela.......you really should look into DVC point rental.........you could get a one bedroom at OKW probably close to what you would pay for POR and have so much more space........I would highly recommend it!! If you have any questions you can always PM me and I can give you some advice.

My dd8 was sad when I mentioned that I changed the Poly ressie to OKW, but I reminded her of how much she loves OKW and I told her how expensive one night at the Poly was going to be (I don't ever talk about money with her in this manner, but she is very interested in money and savings so I thought it would really let her appreciate the savings that we would have)....being the good little girl that she is.....she started to get excited about all that OKW has to offer and decided that the switch was great!

I on the other hand am really going to miss not staying at the Poly, but my wallet will not miss it one bit!!!! My new plan is to start saving for a longer stay at the Polynesian (this will take me a bit, but I really do want to be able to stay there for at least a week to really feel like I STAYED at the Poly)

Looking forward to my trip......and I promise to do a trip report when I get back!!

3dog2kidmom
11-06-2007, 08:54 PM
I'm glad you already decided, Pamela, because I was not going to be able to talk you out of the Poly. I have to admit that I'm a bit spoiled since most of the traveling I do is for work and they always put us up at really nice hotels. And I fell in LOVE with the Poly when we stayed there for the land part of our land/sea vacation last January. In fact I originally booked our next January trip at WL, but it just didn't feel right at all so I crunched the numbers, cut a night off, and moved our ressie to the Polynesian.

That said, I think OKW looks really nice and when (not if) we buy into DVC someday I think we would mostly like to stay there... with an occasional night at the Poly because I love it so. What is it about that place that draws us so, I wonder........

pbhall13
11-06-2007, 09:45 PM
For me the draw is a memory from my early teens (1983). It was our first family trip to Disney and we were staying off site. After leaving the Magic Kingdom my parents and aunt and uncle wanted to ride the monorail over to the Polynesian for a quick drink.........I remember entering the lobby and there was a bar area when you first entered. We all sat around, my sister and I with our Shirley Temples, and just soaked in the atmosphere. I remember thinking to myself "Someday when I am rich I am going to bring my family to stay at the Poly!!". It just made such an impression on a 13 year old (and then a few months later I traveled to Hawaii with my parents and fell in love with the whole polynesian theme/culture).

Flash forward to 2006. I booked 2 nights at the Poly and we were upgraded (complimentary) to concierge.....it was a magical first stay at the Poly (I have stayed at WL, Contemporary, OKW, Boardwalk, All stars, POR, Tree top Villas, Beach Club, Pop Century and nothing, I mean nothing compares to the Polynesian for me!!!) I am a sucker for memories...........my girls absolutely love it there now as well.

I figure our next trip I will save up for a full week vacation there to really get the feel!!

3dog2kidmom
11-06-2007, 10:12 PM
For me the draw is a memory from my early teens (1983). It was our first family trip to Disney and we were staying off site. After leaving the Magic Kingdom my parents and aunt and uncle wanted to ride the monorail over to the Polynesian for a quick drink.........I remember entering the lobby and there was a bar area when you first entered. We all sat around, my sister and I with our Shirley Temples, and just soaked in the atmosphere. I remember thinking to myself "Someday when I am rich I am going to bring my family to stay at the Poly!!". It just made such an impression on a 13 year old (and then a few months later I traveled to Hawaii with my parents and fell in love with the whole polynesian theme/culture).

Flash forward to 2006. I booked 2 nights at the Poly and we were upgraded (complimentary) to concierge.....it was a magical first stay at the Poly (I have stayed at WL, Contemporary, OKW, Boardwalk, All stars, POR, Tree top Villas, Beach Club, Pop Century and nothing, I mean nothing compares to the Polynesian for me!!!) I am a sucker for memories...........my girls absolutely love it there now as well.

I figure our next trip I will save up for a full week vacation there to really get the feel!!

What a great memory. My kids love it as well. I was actually in Maui (for work -- at one of those really nice hotels) in August, sitting there watching the ocean, and being reminded of the Polynesian. It was right then and there that I called my travel agent and asked her to switch our reservations.

I hope you get your full week there. I would love just to have a few days to explore the resort but we are never able to get very long trips in due to dogs and work schedules.

Have a wonderful, magical trip this weekend!

linanglab
11-06-2007, 10:30 PM
Pamela - I thought it would cost me quite a bit more to rent points from a DVC member than staying at POR or even 2 rooms at a value. We have 5 people, so I thought that we would have to get a bit more of an expensive room. Any details would be great.

wilsonfamily4
11-06-2007, 10:32 PM
I rented points last January. I got them for $10.00 a point and got 120 points. We stayed 7 nights and had a studio 4 nights and a 1 bedroom for the other 3. So for $1200.00, we stayed for a whole week at a DVC. Such great price. But it hooked us on DVC. :)

pbhall13
11-06-2007, 11:47 PM
Angela..........

I just put in some dates for next summer to give you an idea.

July 6th to the 11th (Sunday to Friday) Total of 110 points and if you pay $10 a point that would be $1110. for a 1 bedroom at Old Key West. Check out the disney site to get info on the rooms there or the DIS. Master bedroom has 1 King Bed. there is a full kitchen with table (not that you want to cook, but great for breakfast...we usually bring oatmeal or do bagels/cereal). The concept is open with a living room that has a queen sleeper sofa and another sofa (does not pull out). Bathroom is split...you have access from master and living area. One side has jacuzzi tub sink and the other with a connecting door has shower. There is also a washer and dryer which is great. When you book DVC thru points you only get limited cleaning service, but this never bothers me. there is so much room in the one bedroom that you don't feel like you have stuff all over the room. You also have access to a balcony. The master and the living room both have a tv.

I find that it is cheapest to stay Sunday and check out on Friday when renting points....and if we want to arrive before Sunday (which we always do) I just book the cheapest room that I can find on property (weekend prices for DVC double so it ends up being less expensive to stay at an all star or POR)

Hope this helps a bit..........again any other questions give a holler.

I also buy my park tickets on my own and not thru disney....we have water delivered from staples (nice savings with that) and make our breakfast in room (nothing fancy just quick to get us started for the day....they do have a coffee maker if that is what you need to start your day)

We love it and find that we have more than enough room. and the savings is better than staying moderate.......and did I already mention the EXTRA room that you have............I know you have 2 growing boys and a princess that would love the extra space.......even if you are only sleeping there.

Take Care, Pamela

linanglab
11-11-2007, 05:07 PM
Thanks Pamela for the info. I will have to do some research. I think it would be great for the space.

Now....if only I could win the DVC price from YOAMD!!!!! Then it wouldn't even be an issue!!!

ligrumpygirl
11-12-2007, 12:15 AM
The problem with a 1 bedroom is that it is LEGALLY for 4 people and Angela has 5. Can't "sneak" anybody in...no room key thus no EMH.

Not saying it hasn't been done....but of course I am not advocating anything :angel:

linanglab
11-12-2007, 07:05 AM
The problem with a 1 bedroom is that it is LEGALLY for 4 people and Angela has 5. Can't "sneak" anybody in...no room key thus no EMH.

Not saying it hasn't been done....but of course I am not advocating anything :angel:

So, I am assuming that having 5 people would mean a bigger DVC room, which would be LOTS more than 2 rooms at a value????

disney_girl
11-12-2007, 08:16 AM
Angela,

The 1 bdrm sleeps 4 and 2 bdrm sleeps up to 8. Using the same dates and $10/pt from above, the 2 bdrm would be $1500 for 5 nights (Sun-Fri). The weekends really do jump up! Options for weekends would be to book OKW with cash (prob $$$), stay at Value or book offsite (ack- can't believe I even said that lol).

During that time of year, the pt values at OKW for a 2 bdrm are:
Sun-Thu 30 pts/night
Fri- Sat 73 pts/ night
Weekly 296 pts

First week of June is a little cheaper
Sun-Thu 27 pts/ night
Fri-Sat 64 pts/ night
Weekly 263 pts

The point values do change slightly depending on which DVC resort you choose. The DIS board has pretty good info on DVC as well!

HTH

Carla

linanglab
11-12-2007, 09:58 AM
Thanks Carla. It seems complicated to me. And no, we do not stay offsite. Sort of an onsite snob. I am not a deluxe snob though. Just give me a place to sleep ON site and I am pretty happy. POR is definitely the cheapest, however, it would be nice to try something new (we have stayed there twice so far). Plus, it was getting a bit snug. So we thought of 2 rooms at a value. But we have stayed at Sports before, so DVC resorts sounded different and fun. However, I am not one to spend a ton of $$ on a hotel. We spent $1600 for 10 nights at POR last year. So we are thinking it will be about $2100 or so to have 2 rooms at a value.

I will have to browse the DIS boards. Like I said, it gets complicated (well...to me). Probably because I have never done it. I am sure it is easier to figure out than I think it is.