PDA

View Full Version : the magazine week?

wilsonfamily4
11-14-2007, 04:01 PM
has anyone done this one? I know nothing about this offer and am not sure what I think?

nurseminnie76
11-14-2007, 04:05 PM
I was just thinking the same thing. I started to fill it out and then stopped myself and decided to come here and check it out first.

Anyone know anything about this?

Alice28
11-14-2007, 04:06 PM
I am curious too. seems good, but I have never even heard of this magazine.

Soccer Princess
11-14-2007, 04:12 PM
I was also hoping someone else would be the guinea pig! :)

cglaura
11-14-2007, 04:16 PM
I just did it, instant credit.

ETA: instant credit, but held until 12/15/07

Looks interesting, hoping I could use some of it for homeschool.

I think it is a condensed "cliff's notes" of news and events and such.

A sample:

Is Bhutto the answer?
Former Pakistani prime minister Benazir Bhutto said she would never share power with President Pervez Musharraf, who responded by saying that Bhutto was “producing negative vibes.” Musharraf is shooting himself in the foot by trampling an agreement to share power with Bhutto, said The New York Times. Please, said Fatima Bhutto in the Los Angeles Times. The "twice disgraced" former prime minister is no "savior of democracy" . . .read more (had link)

New life for Thompson
The National Right to Life Committee’s endorsement could boost Fred Thompson struggling campaign for the Republican presidential nomination, said Mark Silva in Tribune’s The Swamp blog. This is a "big win," said Holly Bailey in Newsweek's The Gaggle blog. Thompson isn't even "considered a pro-life crusader" . . .read more (had link)

The right to bear arms
There's a reason both sides of the gun-control issue are pressuring the Supreme Court to rule on the District of Columbia's firearm ban, said The Washington Post. The court hasn't spoken on the Second Amendment since 1939. No one argues the right to bear arms is "absolute," said Robert Levy in the Los Angeles Times, but the "feckless ban" . . .read more (had link)

sammielynn
11-14-2007, 04:17 PM
I just did the offer. You get 13 weeks for $5. There is an automatic renewal tacked on, you can call if you don't want that. The credit hold came through instantly.

Soccer Princess
11-14-2007, 04:18 PM
So does this hold until 12/15 or do we get the credits today?

sammielynn
11-14-2007, 04:19 PM
Hold until the 15th.

linanglab
11-14-2007, 04:21 PM
I don't like that they renew you automatically. So, I decided against it. If it was a different magazine, one that I would be a bit more interested in, I might have gone for it. I passed.

wilsonfamily4
11-14-2007, 04:23 PM
okay, you guys got me! now, we'll see how crediting goes

ItsmeSunnyV
11-14-2007, 04:23 PM
I don't like that they renew you automatically. So, I decided against it. If it was a different magazine, one that I would be a bit more interested in, I might have gone for it. I passed.

Same here.:p

LyndaM
11-14-2007, 04:24 PM
Instant credit for me... :)

Soccer Princess
11-14-2007, 04:24 PM
Hmm... I'm also not a big fan of auto-renew so I'm passing. We leave for WDW on 12/15, so if it was instant I probably would have gone ahead and done it, but since it is a hold I'm not going to bother.

Thanks for the info though!

mom2dea
11-14-2007, 04:30 PM
we passed here as well sence I have spent to much for the day ...LOL And the other two offers I have already done .

Debbie Jean
11-14-2007, 05:08 PM
I did some checking because I hadn't heard ot the title either and found the following review published in Magazines for Libraries (Mar 22, 2007; ISSN: 1533-8304):

"The Week is a British digest of the "key" stories appearing in the British and world press in the past seven days. It summarizes articles from other publications and supplements this reporting with analysis of its own. As with all good digests, The Week strives to be succinct, to boil down stories to smaller yet still substantial proportions. The Week has a "pop culture underbelly" that will please many, with celebrity/royal gossip, tabloid stories, serious and frivolous poll coverage, and revisits with controversies. There are sections on the arts, in which reviews are reviewed; health and science coverage; and city and leisure sections that preview London happenings to come. Subscribe to The Week and you'll feel that you're seeing the world in greater detail through British lenses, with a vicarious side jaunt through London Town. (Toth, Joe) "

From what I could see of recent issues, however, it definitely seems to have shifted to a more American/international focus than primarily British. Ulrich's Periodical Directory describes it as: "a witty and informative digest of the best reporting and writing from the U.S. and international press".

It certain looks like a nice publication. Check out the website at http://www.theweekmagazine.com/ to see the latest issue.

The thing that concerns me is the auto-renewal since a regular subscription is pricey. On the website they are listed as:
50 issues for only $49.50 ($0.99/ issue)
25 issues for only $29.75 ($1.19/issue)

3dog2kidmom
11-14-2007, 10:17 PM
I just ordered this. I'll keep it for 10 weeks and put a note on my calendar to call after that. My boss gets it and I actually like the magazine.

It did credit immediately.