PDA

View Full Version : Mail and internet scam information!

JOLAROCHE
11-20-2007, 06:23 PM
I got a letter in the mail today with a check enclosed. It stated I won money and to call this number. I thought it was a scam but called the number figuring that they would ask me for money or my ss# or some kind of number. They did not. They told me to deposit this check in the bank and to call them back. I am still not comfortable with this. The envelope has the name Trusted Alliance. The letter head has global finance. A California po box number. There is a phone number to me looks like it is from Canada. I do not know what to do. I hate losing the money if is true but do not feel like being scammed. They have a website which tells me nothing on top of the letter. I know this did not come from anything from SR because it is not the name I use here. Has anyone ever heard of them before. I am calling my local news station which has a solve scam segment tomorrow

Thanks for your help

SunshineGirl
11-20-2007, 06:37 PM
Don't deposit the check. The scam is to get you to deposit the check.

bs4free
11-20-2007, 06:39 PM
ITS a Check Cashing Scam... You cash the Check (which is bad) and then they want you to send them a check/wire/money for most of it back and then your back tells you the check was bad and your out all the money you sent them and all the bank fees and such... I have gotten a few over the last few months as well! From Canada! ITS a SCAM!!!!!

Here are a few other posts on SR about this!
http://www.sunshinerewardsforum.com/showthread.php?t=4748
http://www.sunshinerewardsforum.com/showthread.php?t=3468

JOLAROCHE
11-20-2007, 08:49 PM
Thats what I thought too. But I wasn't sure how the scam worked. Thanks for your answer

jfrog
11-21-2007, 04:02 PM
I just received a letter (on letterhead) from Staples Processing Center in London, ON. They are informing me that I have won a vacation and cash prize and there is a check also. The # to call is a cell number and will not go through. YIKES! They have my email listed as one of the gmails I use only here so I'm wondering if anyone else has ever heard of them? I'm sure it's one of those too good to be true prizes with a big catch-I have googled my fingers off and can't come up with anything but the Hilton in London, ON-the address on the letterhead matches the hotel and a Hertz rent a car.
Thanks!:)

bs4free
11-21-2007, 04:04 PM
It is sounding like it might be one of the Check cashing scams that have been going around lately...

jnorth1007
11-21-2007, 05:03 PM
Hey guys! Just figured it was time to make one sticky thread about these issues so everyone knows where to look for information when it comes up. :sunshine:

jfrog
11-22-2007, 01:58 AM
Thank you! I was not sure where to put it! I can't believe this place sent me a check for just under $3,000 (to enable me to pay the processing fees) and a bogus phone number to call to get "directives" on how to claim my prize. The check is from a well know bank in Dallas- return address on the envelope is a po box in Brampton, ON - I'm going to try the phone # again in a few days - there must be something tracable (tracible?) here - be interesting to see what I can dig up.

JOLAROCHE
11-22-2007, 11:11 AM
I received something very similary and I was told to call the Attorney Generals Office

jfrog
11-22-2007, 11:44 AM
Wow, did you call? Can you imagine someone receiving something like this and cashing the check? I wonder what would happen then-there must be some fine print here or maybe I will get the fine print if I ever get through to the phone number in the letter. Like cash the check, use it and 10,000 dollars of your own to pay processing fees! This kind of thing is so scary!

jfrog
11-22-2007, 11:51 AM
Here you are! I'm sorry I missed your thread and started a new one. The phone number and address listed in my letter are also from Canada. The phone is a cell and rings twice and goes to busy signal. I looked up the address on google (company name did not appear anywhere) and it takes me to the Hilton and a rent a car place. The check is from bank one dallas but what is really strange about this check is that it also has a logo in the upper center for a freight brokerage company that is 10 miles from my house. What would a trucking dispatch place have to do with winning a cash prize? Do they deliver in pennies? lol --keeps getting weirder! OK, I should be cooking-HAPPY THANKSGIVING ALL!!!!!:hugs:

susanowen27
11-29-2007, 06:53 PM
I am getting these weekly - I must be on a sucker list... WOrst part is my DH doesn't get that it is a scam and he wants to cash the check!!!!:rotfl:
Got to love him:heart:

eaglesdare
11-30-2007, 08:58 AM
also, look very carefully at the puntuation. almost all scams have typos. something that should be capitalized is not, and mispelled words, that is another true sign of a scam.

jfrog
11-30-2007, 08:08 PM
I must be on the same sucker list-lol! Got another today promising free grant money - I must cash the check, go to their very convincing website(already checked it out!) and pay 10% to one of the guys pictured there - then I am guaranteed to receive the other half of the money. Mmmhhhhmmm....

I agree about the typos and punctuation errors in letters/emails-a dead give away to be sure-- this check I received had a short detachable letter of instruction at the bottom-also no return address on the envelope and the bank named on the check is EWA BANK of Palmdale, CA--no address and no zip code.

It is a real shame that people are sucked into these things.

StitchandPooh'smom
11-30-2007, 10:02 PM
Not really, of course, but that's what my letter said, along with a very authentic-looking check for over $3300. The check is apparently drawn on Wachovia from the Lowe's account (even has a watermark talking about preventing check fraud :rotfl: ).

It is definitely a result of one of the offers because of the spelling of my name. The letter was obviously fake ("we strongly advise that you keep this award highly confidential"), but I do give them credit for a real-looking check!

Oh, and it did come from Canada - not sure what Canada has to do with the Irish lottery! :rotfl:

Weluvdisny
11-30-2007, 11:44 PM
I've gotten a few of these and I work at a bank so I brought them in to my boss who is a lawyer. He said the bank has to keep it and turn it in to the Feds. So don't throw them away, bring them to your local bank's security dept. and they will take care of it.

StitchandPooh'smom
12-01-2007, 12:06 AM
I've gotten a few of these and I work at a bank so I brought them in to my boss who is a lawyer. He said the bank has to keep it and turn it in to the Feds. So don't throw them away, bring them to your local bank's security dept. and they will take care of it.

Thanks for posting this. I actually e-mailed Lowe's and Wachovia to see if either company wanted a copy (or the original) sent to their fraud department. Seems like the companies would want to track these people down!

annieollendorf
12-13-2007, 04:15 PM
I recieved one of these today. I had to look real close. There are 4 different addressess. One on the envelope fro Ontario, the letter header Kelowna, B.C, another address from Seminary, Ms ? and on the check from FL.

Go figure!:confused:

April

docsmom
12-13-2007, 05:18 PM
I received one of these last week. A check for $4,889.00 to "help defer the taxes on my winnings". The letter said I won $490,000. Yeah, right...I'm going to be notified that I won almost half a million dollars in a letter with typos that was mailed in an envelope with my name and address on a label!!

Took the check to my bank to forward to their security department. The bank said the check is real, alright. and the funds would stay in my account just long enough for someone to rip me off!!!

Sure would have been nice....I would have done some heavy-duty Christmas shopping!:rotfl: