PDA

View Full Version : Firewall....

ligrumpygirl
11-26-2007, 09:18 PM
Ok I admit I am stumped by this firewall problem I am having. I do have a degree in computers BUT in my defense it was in using computers in the classroom!

Any techies out there that can tell me how/where to check for firewalls?? I can't get on Disneyshopping.com and it is killing me!!

I ran AVG and AdAware...plus cleared my cookies. Any other suggestions???

m 'n c
11-26-2007, 10:17 PM
What firewall are you using? Zonealarm? Windows firewall? I think cglaura is pretty good with all that stuff so if you see her online flag her down.

marsham
11-26-2007, 10:56 PM
adaware and avg have nothing to do with firewalls.

Have you tried going to www.disney.com and then clicking on the shopping link? The problem may be something in your cache, so not only clear cookies but clear all your browsing history and temp files. If you have it in a temp file that is corrupted you may be getting blocked.

Now, having said all that, if you are tryng to go in through a computer other than at home, the sys admin may be blocking all shopping sites. They do that where I work. And there is usually no way around it.

ligrumpygirl
11-26-2007, 11:29 PM
adaware and avg have nothing to do with firewalls.

Have you tried going to www.disney.com and then clicking on the shopping link? The problem may be something in your cache, so not only clear cookies but clear all your browsing history and temp files. If you have it in a temp file that is corrupted you may be getting blocked.

Now, having said all that, if you are tryng to go in through a computer other than at home, the sys admin may be blocking all shopping sites. They do that where I work. And there is usually no way around it.

OK tried to get in through Disney.com - nothing! I can't click on anything else either! Do they not want my money??

I have cleaned my history AND temp files.

cglaura
11-26-2007, 11:40 PM
First check here to make sure nothing is being blocked:

Tools ---> Internet Options ---> Privacy Tab ---> Sites

For Windows Firewall:

Start ---> Control Panel ---> Security Center ---> Manage Security Settings for...Windows Firewall (mine is on the bottom of this window)

I can't really see anything there that would block it though.

Only other things I can think of:
Try turning off AdAware temporarily and see if you get through.

If still blocked, try turning off the Firewall and see if you get through.

I don't suggest leaving them off...just a quick temporary off to narrow down the problem.

Do you have anything else besides AVG and AdAware running (SpyBot, AVG Anti Spyware, etc?)

faithhope
11-27-2007, 12:31 AM
when in doubt... shut down the machine completely for a few minutes... and restart...

Faith

mom2ian
11-27-2007, 01:30 AM
If you are on cable modem try resetting your modem. I've had this problem with several sites, including Disney (all at the same time) where I could not get on their site for literally weeks. Finally figured out the modem just needed to be reset. Don't know why it does it, but it has happened more than once.

ligrumpygirl
11-27-2007, 09:30 PM
First check here to make sure nothing is being blocked:

Tools ---> Internet Options ---> Privacy Tab ---> Sites

For Windows Firewall:

Start ---> Control Panel ---> Security Center ---> Manage Security Settings for...Windows Firewall (mine is on the bottom of this window)

I can't really see anything there that would block it though.

Only other things I can think of:
Try turning off AdAware temporarily and see if you get through.

If still blocked, try turning off the Firewall and see if you get through.

I don't suggest leaving them off...just a quick temporary off to narrow down the problem.

Do you have anything else besides AVG and AdAware running (SpyBot, AVG Anti Spyware, etc?)

I tried everything here...NOTHING. I don't THINK I have anything else running but I will look again. I am actually going to have DH check the modem tonight.

Thanks all for your suggestions! At least I am not spending $$$!

arob414
11-28-2007, 07:30 PM
If you ever figure out the problem, I would like the answer. I have the same problem on my laptop and DD9's computer, but not DD12's. Took me awhile to realize this so I go to her computer when I can't get thru on mine. Since Friday evening, I haven't been able to get on the internet on my computer. Thought it might be my wireless card, the modem is new. So, I went to DD9's computer, then hers went down. Tonight, I can retrieve my email but still can't go online. DD12's will go online, that is where I am, right now. At any rate, I have now figured out it has something to do with our internet service, I think, since 2 computers can't get on but one can.:computer: :computer: :computer: :computer: I will try to figure this out, this wkend.

ligrumpygirl
11-28-2007, 10:53 PM
Turns out it was not my computer at all! Our wireless router was doing funky things and corrupting things!

Got a new router and I am off to shop!

Thanks for all the help...

spring
11-29-2007, 08:37 AM
Thanks for posting the solution to your problem. Inevitably, it gives us all another thing to think about when problem-solving. Glad it finally works for you. Happy shopping!!!!:cooldance: