PDA

View Full Version : Animal Kingdom & Epcot any advice

aknight373
12-14-2007, 08:02 PM
These are the two parks we are going to go to when we get there. Animal kingdom first ( we wont be there right when they open, i am figure not until around 11am or so ) and the next day spend a full day at epcot.

any advice on what we should and shouldnt waste our time one ?

also is there anything close to the pop hotel that we can also do ?

Blessing and Miracle
12-14-2007, 08:27 PM
For sure I definitely would head straight to get a fast pass for the Animal Tour. It's worth doing twice or more. If you are big on taking pictures, be sure to have someone on each side as there are animals on both sides and the tour bus comes upon them rather quickly.

I would definitely do the Lion King Show! It was simply wonderful and a must see!

Mickey's Jamin Jungle Parade is a must!

We didn't get a chance to do any rides because it started storming and they closed them down, but I know it was very popular, I beleive it was called Mount Everest.

Hope This Helps!

Sorry, no advice on Epcot!

aknight373
12-14-2007, 09:02 PM
Thanks that great info

time2go
12-14-2007, 09:03 PM
You've really must ride Expedition Everest if you like coasters! It's awesome! Probably will need to get a fast pass for it. The Tough to be a Bug show is really cute too.
I haven't seen any shows so I can't help you with those.

As soon as you make your way to Epcot, head to Soarin' and get a fast pass and ride it if the wait isn't too long. However, if you don't like heights it might not be good for you. Heights bother me but I really like Soarin'.
Test Track is good but not out of this world. Mission Space....I have to go on the tame version. I'm not good with spinning. Take the boat ride in Mexico. It's nice and calming.

Oh and hope you have a great trip!

spring
12-14-2007, 09:14 PM
Soarin' is definitely a must-try. I also like Test Track. Never have been to Mission Space. I like the ride in Norway on a Viking Ship.

Don't miss the Safari in Animal Kingdom. If you are not there early, go right away and get a fastpass and come back later. Expedition Everest is not to be missed from what I hear. It wasn't quite open the last time I went. I liked Dinosaur. My family went tubing there, but I don't remember the name of the ride. (Maybe Kali River Rapids?!?) We went in December, so I watched the baby while the rest of them went. They got rather wet, so I don't know if that will be something you want to do in January.

Whatever you do, have fun!

bs4free
12-14-2007, 09:32 PM
AK Must
(photo pass photos?)
(Characters?)
Expedition Everest
Kali-River Rapids
Kilimanjoar Surfari
Its Tough to be a Bug
Dinosaur
Prime-evil warel
Festival of the Lion King
Mickeys Junggle Jamming Parade
Finding Nemo the Musical

Epcot

Sorian
Finding Nemo Ride
Turttle Talk With Crush
Space Ship Earth
Mission Space
Test Track
Mexico Boat Ride
Malestrome
Tour the Countries
Canada Circle Vision
Journey into your imagnition with figment
Honey I shrunk the audiance (warning very long wait must watch 20+ Min preshow)
Living with the Land
Innoventions
(Disney Visa Characters?)
(Characters?)
(Photo Pass Photos?)
Ellens Energy Adventure (Need a break... its about 40-60 min attraction)

Ok I hope this has helped i know it seems like i listed the entire parks but epcot being a full day you can get a lot done if started early and AK depending on wait times and fast pass uses you can do almost all the rides and the shows if you get lucky with show times...

gpp2001
12-14-2007, 10:12 PM
AK Must
(photo pass photos?)
(Characters?)
Expedition Everest
Kali-River Rapids
Kilimanjoar Surfari
Its Tough to be a Bug
Dinosaur
Prime-evil warel
Festival of the Lion King
Mickeys Junggle Jamming Parade
Finding Nemo the Musical

Epcot

Sorian
Finding Nemo Ride
Turttle Talk With Crush
Space Ship Earth
Mission Space
Test Track
Mexico Boat Ride
Malestrome
Tour the Countries
Canada Circle Vision
Journey into your imagnition with figment
Honey I shrunk the audiance (warning very long wait must watch 20+ Min preshow)
Living with the Land
Innoventions
(Disney Visa Characters?)
(Characters?)
(Photo Pass Photos?)
Ellens Energy Adventure (Need a break... its about 40-60 min attraction)

Ok I hope this has helped i know it seems like i listed the entire parks but epcot being a full day you can get a lot done if started early and AK depending on wait times and fast pass uses you can do almost all the rides and the shows if you get lucky with show times...

I agree with Brian except for Kali River Rapids - don't do it unless you want to get really, really wet. I did it in November and the only dry part on me was my waist band of my pants - soaked!! So - if you want to get wet - do it! If not - avoid it like the plague!! Just my two cents.

AK and Epcot are our family favorites!! Enjoy!!

coastalgirl
12-14-2007, 10:12 PM
At Animal Kingdom- The Lion King and Finding Nemo our 2 of our favorite shows to see. I just love the Lion King, last time when we were there, the baby and I watched the shows by ourself so the boys and gramma could ride some rides. And I have a height phobia and I just love soaring, I just stear clear of the front row! :rotfl: Congrats on your trip and I hope you have a wonderful time!!!

aknight373
12-14-2007, 10:42 PM
Thanks everyone...

i do know for a fact i dont want to do Kali River Rapids we have something like that at six flags here and I really hate getting that late

ligrumpygirl
12-14-2007, 11:05 PM
I would personally go to AK early...I find I can get it done in 1/2 day.

As for EPCOT, I would leave the afternoon and evening for the countries. Do you have any children going? If so, have them do a free mask (adults can do it too...great souveniur (sp?)). My advice there is bring your own crayons and markers so you don't have to wait while they color!

m 'n c
12-15-2007, 11:17 AM
I would devote an entire day to AK. I think you will feel really rushed otherwise at that park and any other one you try to go to. I would also pay attention to the park maps there. They have walking trails to see animals that Mike and I completely missed last time because we were trying to hit all the highlights and get to MGM. I have heard fabulous things about the Nemo musical so I'd definetly try to see it.

Oh and we did Kali during december a few years ago and it wasn't all that bad. We wore ponchos because I wanted to go on it so badly.

aknight373
12-15-2007, 08:25 PM
i am so excited about ak!!!! i know i will like it better then epcot haha

Mom2aPrincess
12-17-2007, 03:32 PM
i am so excited about ak!!!! i know i will like it better then epcot haha

I :love: Epcot personally!

eaglesdare
12-17-2007, 04:18 PM
are you going with young children?

i just came back with my granddaughter, is is 2 1/2. we hit every country via the kidkot stations. she just loved getting out of the stroller and coloring at every country. if you finish all the countries they give you a cetificate.

we always do the boat ride in norway maelstrom, it is a fastpass ride so we grabbed a fast pass and then just by passed the line. we also always do the boat ride in mexico. we try to catch a show at the other countries, or in japan pick a pearl. the candy artist is there also. she will make candy scuptures that she gives out to the kids, about 5 or 6 per show.
...in china, try to look up all the birth years in your family and see what animal is represented by the year.
..have a pastry in france.

if you go into the countries in epcot have an open mind and really enjoy you trip around. when we went in april we started at 12 oclock and finished at 614 pm. so you can see we really tried to explore the countries. i also forget which country it was, maybe china? that has the model train tracks set up outside. something to see there. we haven't been to all of them exploring but these are the few i can think of.

then there is future world. yes you can do all the exciting rides there like soarin, (be warned here, fastpasses go fast, by afternoon more than likely they are all gone.) get one asap.
..nemo and the aquarium are nice relaxing rides and walk thru's. i love ellen's universe of energy.
...i also enjoyed going into the imaginations places there, we did the robot race and then got to build our very own plastic robots that you get to keep.
...character meet and greets of course.

animal kingdom. depends on what you thrill is. the safari is cool, get a fastpass for this asap. we love dinosaur also, you can fastpass this one also. expiditon everest (something i don't go on) but if you are into it, fast pass this one also. kali river rapids is cute, i wore a poncho, but really no one in our boat except for 1 got really wet.

DO NOT MISS FESTIVAL OF LION KING! bring a video camera with you for this show. this one is my all time favority of all disney shows. i actually enjoy the first show of the day, mainly because of the light crowds going first thing in the morning to see it. that way i get choice seating and can record with a good view.
...personallly rafiki's planet watch is ok if you have young kids. but really isn't worth the time. their is a small petting area there with goats, and it stinks. at least it did this past thursday. i haven't been there before, so i decided with my granddaughter going with me this time i would try it and i am glad i did, but i will not go again.

that is about all the advice i can give you.

one more thing. get fastpasses when ever you can, and come back later to use them. you do not have to come during the designated time frame, except for soarin.

on this last trip i just came back for, every cm there told us not too worry about the expiration time of them. they only make sure you come after your start time, but not ending time. so you can collect fast passes as you can thru out your mornings, and then take and relax mid day back at the hotel and then go back to the park and ride all those fast pass rides.

now at pop century. we just stayed there on this trip. really get out and explore the hotel. the icons are amazing and the signs along the walkways are really interesting to read. for each year they have some bit of trivia that took place during that year.
..over by big wheels icon they had real big wheel races, my granddaughter did that and they gave her a small trophy.
..at the front entrance they had buckets of sidewalk chalk and the kids could be artists til their hearts desire. there is a path that walks around the outside of the hotel, and then a bridge that goes across the lake. makes for a nice walk in the evenings.

ok i think that is about all i can think of right now. hehehe

enjoy your trip!

aknight373
12-17-2007, 10:55 PM
Thanks guys...

it just 4 adults going to the parks!!!

i love all the advice keep it coming

tommygirl79
12-18-2007, 06:06 PM
Sorry if anything I type has been said already. But here goes...

One thing to remember with Animal Kingdom is that is closes much earlier than all of the other parks - usually 5:00. I, personally, would opt for getting there at opening and heading STRAIGHT to Expedition Everest for Fast Passes and a quick ride before the line gets too long. The ride is great!

Festival of the Lion King is MUST SEE as well as Kilimanjaro Safari, It's Tough to Be A Bug, Dinosaur, Primeval Whirl, etc. The new Finding Nemo show is REALLY good as well. We too skip Kali rive rapids for the reasons stated above. If you don't mind ducks walking around you while you eat, grab some great bbq from Flame Tree Barbecue and make your way down to the lake eating area. It's a great view of Expedition Everest and a nice scenic spot.

The Main thing with AK is picking time for the shows. It can be tricky to get everything in if you like the shows.

Since the park closes early, we usually head out for a nice supper at either Rainforest Cafe right in/next the park or head out to Downtown Disney for a nice supper and some light strolling/heavy shopping. :-)

As for EPCOT, it's my favorite park next to MK and I would highly suggest getting there at rope drop and staying the whole day until after Illuminations. There is just so much to see and take in. I completely agree with the sentiment of heading straight to Soarin' (see Expedition Everest procedure). Then we love pretty much everything at EPCOT so I won't bother listing it here.

Have a great trip!!!

aknight373
12-18-2007, 10:29 PM
Thanks guys i cant wait, the day that we are going to ak like i said we wont get there till around 11am hopefully a little before, but not keeping my fingers crossed and its a extra magic night where they will stay open later, so i am hoping it wont be to packed espically in january.

epcot we will get there right at rope drop i cant wait. is Illuminations free, or do i have to pay extra for that ?

bs4free
12-18-2007, 10:40 PM
Yes Illuminations is free,

tommygirl79
12-19-2007, 08:19 AM
Like Bryan said, Illuminations is definitely free - there are many good spots to watch. A great spot to grab about 30 minutes before Illuminations is right in between Mexico and Norway. We like to grab a snack at the Norwegian Bakery right there. Grab a seat on the bench and enjoy the show!!!

We love going in January as long as it's after the first week when the kiddos are all back in school. If this is the case, the crowds should be AWESOME!!!! You might not get everything in at AK in that amount of time, but you can most definitely get your "must-dos" in I'd say. I still would head to Expedition Everest first thing and see about getting a fast pass because there still could be a line...

I hope you have a great time!!!

aknight373
12-19-2007, 09:47 PM
awsome!!! thanks again guys your the best!!! i cant wait

nicholfamily5
01-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Thanks guys i cant wait, the day that we are going to ak like i said we wont get there till around 11am hopefully a little before, but not keeping my fingers crossed and its a extra magic night where they will stay open later, so i am hoping it wont be to packed espically in january.

epcot we will get there right at rope drop i cant wait. is Illuminations free, or do i have to pay extra for that ?

Just a word to the wise, chances are VERY good that AK will be PACKED on an EM night!!! Even in the morning. Don't make the mistake of thinking it will be lighter in the morning! lol...
You would be better off going the next day for the lighter crowds.

I really recommend Tour Guide Mike. He has a guide as to which park to hit on any given day, using a color system. His info was the best! We barely waited on any lines and we had a very relaxing vacation in august.
I would definately hit Everest fisrt thing, and get a fast pass. they go very quickly and if you are getting there that late, chances are your return time is going to be later in the day. Definately do not miss the Lion King show. Absolutely amazing. I read you are all adults? It's like watching the broadway show, with acrobatics tossed in! Fabulous. I'm getting goosebumps just remembering it.
I also enjoyed Tusker House for lunch. It is a buffet now that needs ADRS but I've heard very good things and the food was delish.

Epcot I ADORE! There is very little there that I won't do, so just do a bit of research again TGM is a great resource, and have a plan. It's so big you don't want to be walking from one side to the other all day.

Have a good time!

Mom2aPrincess
01-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Just a word to the wise, chances are VERY good that AK will be PACKED on an EM night!!! Even in the morning. Don't make the mistake of thinking it will be lighter in the morning! lol...
You would be better off going the next day for the lighter crowds.

I really recommend Tour Guide Mike. He has a guide as to which park to hit on any given day, using a color system. His info was the best! We barely waited on any lines and we had a very relaxing vacation in august.
I would definately hit Everest fisrt thing, and get a fast pass. they go very quickly and if you are getting there that late, chances are your return time is going to be later in the day. Definately do not miss the Lion King show. Absolutely amazing. I read you are all adults? It's like watching the broadway show, with acrobatics tossed in! Fabulous. I'm getting goosebumps just remembering it.
I also enjoyed Tusker House for lunch. It is a buffet now that needs ADRS but I've heard very good things and the food was delish.

Epcot I ADORE! There is very little there that I won't do, so just do a bit of research again TGM is a great resource, and have a plan. It's so big you don't want to be walking from one side to the other all day.

Have a good time!

Thought I'd back up the theory that an EMH AK day will be PACKED! And that TGM is great! We used it for our trip last month between Christmas and New Years (when it's supposed to be sooooo crowded) and we didn't wait in line for more than about 20 minutes for any of our rides/shows!

aknight373
01-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Thought I'd back up the theory that an EMH AK day will be PACKED! And that TGM is great! We used it for our trip last month between Christmas and New Years (when it's supposed to be sooooo crowded) and we didn't wait in line for more than about 20 minutes for any of our rides/shows!

I have so much about tour guide mike, I am hearing more bad then good. I dont think I would ever pay for that service. I keep hearing or should I say reading that people paid for it, and never really needed.

Thanks guys

Kycha
01-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Unless you are going MLK or marathon weekend, I think you should be okay going to AK EMH

nicholfamily5
01-08-2008, 12:48 AM
man! That's too bad that you've heard bad things about TGM. I used his site pretty much exclusively once I found it, and I based our entire week around it. We barely waited in any line all week. I love all the reviews that are from him and people that have come back from trips.
I guess it's a little time consuming going through his site, but once you get used to the style, there is a wealth of info.
Regardless, You'll have a good time. I'm a little envious that you will be all adults going and won't have to schedule everything around little ones!

Enjoy your trip!

thevacationer
01-09-2008, 11:26 PM
Take lots of money and vitamins.:minnie: