PDA

View Full Version : Coolest Gift Ever!

iluvamystery89
12-03-2010, 06:25 PM
last week, i ordered my DD (age 13-total bookworm) a nook 3G + wi-fi (certified refurbished) from overstock.com for $99, and it arrived today :banana: i just have to say, this is the coolest thing EVER! i've already unboxed it, updated the firmware and charged it up :D i wanted to play with it and put books on it SOOOOO bad! LOL, can y'all tell i LOVE electronic gadgets? (i did put it back in the box and put it up for Christmas, i was a good girl) if you love to read, you MUST have one!

Blessing and Miracle
12-03-2010, 07:09 PM
I'm sure she is gonna love it. :)

I've been thinking about buying one for myself as well. Need to do my research on them first to see which one is the best.

iluvamystery89
12-03-2010, 07:15 PM
I'm sure she is gonna love it. :)

I've been thinking about buying one for myself as well. Need to do my research on them first to see which one is the best.

lisa, i chose the nook because, well, aside from the much better price, you can get books from your local library (can't do that with a kindle) and lend books to others.
i hope she enjoys it :) i'm still resisting the temptation to get it back out and put a couple of books on it for her, lol.

wilsonfamily4
12-03-2010, 07:16 PM
I love my Kindle. I really wanted to get one for my mom for Christmas but can't spend that kind of money. Last night my hubby and I were talking about how we will have to get one for our daughter in the next year or two and how probably there will be less and less books at school as kids will go to ereaders.

I love my ereader but I also still buy real books. :)

I think your daughter will be over the moon. Best gift ever.

29apr00
12-03-2010, 07:31 PM
I have the Sony Ereader and I love it!! true it doesn't have wi-fi, but I paln ahead enought that I know when i'm low on books and and just buy new so i'm never without. works for me and, at the time :computer:, it was much cheaper than a Kindle.

Blessing and Miracle
12-03-2010, 07:55 PM
lisa, i chose the nook because, well, aside from the much better price, you can get books from your local library (can't do that with a kindle) and lend books to others.
i hope she enjoys it :) i'm still resisting the temptation to get it back out and put a couple of books on it for her, lol.

I think that would be nice if you pre-loaded a couple of books for her.

wilsonfamily4
12-03-2010, 10:41 PM
I agree-preload some books for her. They have free ones so you could do those if you didn't want to spend more money.

If I do buy my mom a kindle I will be excited because she can have all the books I have boughten and she will love some of those. She would open a gift with like 20 books already on it!

iluvamystery89
12-03-2010, 11:21 PM
ok, you've all convinced me, mommy needs to play with the new gadget, i mean, uh, put some books on it ;)

chipndale
12-03-2010, 11:39 PM
ok, you've all convinced me, mommy needs to play with the new gadget, i mean, uh, put some books on it ;)

You sound like me - DD asked for the older ipod nano. I managed to find one in the color that she wanted and I have been dying to play with it. I want the ipod touch for Christmas - I hope DH has been paying attention.

arob414
12-04-2010, 08:16 AM
You sound like me - DD asked for the older ipod nano. I managed to find one in the color that she wanted and I have been dying to play with it. I want the ipod touch for Christmas - I hope DH has been paying attention.

I got my girls ipod touches, last year. I kept getting them out to play with and then wiping any smudges, that I created, off. :rotfl: I want an ipod touch but I have both of their shuffles and for walking, cutting the grass, etc, I like the smallness of them. Fits nicely in my pocket or I wear it around my neck. I don't think I would use the touch as much. But, I still want one.

iluvamystery89
12-04-2010, 12:17 PM
oh y'all just don't know, lol, i'm a total gadget ho. i LOVE electronics. any sort of electronic gizmo thrills me to no end. i took the nook out last night and showed DH how the screen changes to a different author's picture every time you turn it on or off-i squealed "that's so NEAT!" and he just shook his head and laughed.

m 'n c
12-04-2010, 01:58 PM
Congrats! She will love it! I am in love with my Kindle and bought one for my mom for Christmas. I just need to load some books for her and wrap it up. Definitely start loading up a few of the classic books that are out there and free.

Blessing and Miracle
12-04-2010, 05:02 PM
Hhhmm, mybe DD21 would be interested in this as she loves to read as well. How does it work? Do you have to have an internet connection to buy and download?

iluvamystery89
12-04-2010, 05:26 PM
lisa, if you buy the wi-fi version, it can be used anywhere there's free wi-fi. if you get the 3G + wi-fi version, you can also use it anywhere there is AT&T 3G...and it's free (no contract or fees)! you can also download books via your computer. i think i'm going to have to get it out shortly and d'l some books onto it, as soon as i thaw out from the Christmas parade.

TxAggies
12-04-2010, 06:01 PM
My Nook Wi-Fi order arrived this week too! Both DD and myself are getting one for Christmas! I was super excited to receive it. After I examined it to make sure the order was correct, and to verify that it wasn't damaged, etc., I put them away because I didn't think I could stand to play with it then have to put it back up until Christmas!! But...after reading this thread...I now realize how considerate it would be for me to go ahead and load up some books on DD's ;) Since it isn't wrapped yet, perhaps I should get it out!

I had been on the fence for months about Nook vs Kindle, but I ultimately decided on the Nook because I am a big user of the library and think I will like that capability.

iluvamystery89
12-04-2010, 06:35 PM
My Nook Wi-Fi order arrived this week too! Both DD and myself are getting one for Christmas! I was super excited to receive it. After I examined it to make sure the order was correct, and to verify that it wasn't damaged, etc., I put them away because I didn't think I could stand to play with it then have to put it back up until Christmas!! But...after reading this thread...I now realize how considerate it would be for me to go ahead and load up some books on DD's ;) Since it isn't wrapped yet, perhaps I should get it out!

I had been on the fence for months about Nook vs Kindle, but I ultimately decided on the Nook because I am a big user of the library and think I will like that capability.

do it! join me! LOL, i'm loving this thing! can't wait until mine shows up on monday!

chipndale
12-05-2010, 05:09 PM

Oh I think that would be super nice of you to go ahead and download some books for her. DD is getting the Ipod Nano and I have already started downloading some songs that she has been wanting me to purchase at itunes for her old mp3 player. I keep telling her I don't have the time to do it because I know that once Christmas rolls around she will never go back to her old mp3 player - I hopw she gives it to her younger brother.

iluvamystery89
12-05-2010, 05:30 PM
Oh I think that would be super nice of you to go ahead and download some books for her. DD is getting the Ipod Nano and I have already started downloading some songs that she has been wanting me to purchase at itunes for her old mp3 player. I keep telling her I don't have the time to do it because I know that once Christmas rolls around she will never go back to her old mp3 player - I hopw she gives it to her younger brother.

awww! i hope she does too! DD LOVES her mp3 player as well. i was really having a hard time finding a gift for her from us, until i ran across the nook. i think she's going to love it. at least, i hope she does, lol.

Hedy
12-05-2010, 06:30 PM
I am madly in love with my Kindle. I'm going through the free books that Amazion has.

m 'n c
12-06-2010, 01:08 AM
I am madly in love with my Kindle. I'm going through the free books that Amazion has.

One thing I am loving about Amazon is the free books rotate monthly and then I have found a few book bundles of 4-5 books for $10 all in one download. I bought the Jennifer Crusie bundle last month and have the Carly Phillips one on my Christmas wish list.

iluvamystery89
12-07-2010, 10:26 AM
ok, my nook came yesterday, and i just have to say...I LOVE THIS THING! yes, it's a Christmas gift, so i don't get it for over 2 weeks, but i put a couple of books on it yesterday after i got it, and it was SO easy. i just "purchased" (they were free) the books from B&N, then when i turned on the nook, i went to the right page and clicked "download" on the books and they downloaded! :banana: now i need to put a few on DDs! (decided to learn on mine first, to avoid messing hers up in any way, lol)