PDA

View Full Version : GPS

29apr00
12-07-2010, 09:20 AM
DH wants a GPS for christmas......i know nothing about GPS's. I need some options please!

I dont' want to spend $200 on a GPS considering we drive places MAYBE once a year. we are interested in doing the geo-caching though, so one that would be good for that would be nice.

speechteachri
12-07-2010, 05:50 PM
I love my Garmin Nuvi...but the updates can be expensive. My dh needs to update his and the update is almost as much cash as a new device. I did hear an ad on the radio though for a Garmin with lifetime updates now...haven't looked into the cost.

DisneyJudi
12-07-2010, 05:59 PM
We love our Garmin Nuvi:) You can get them now with lifetime updates.

spring
12-07-2010, 06:08 PM
I love my Garmin Nuvi...but the updates can be expensive. My dh needs to update his and the update is almost as much cash as a new device. I did hear an ad on the radio though for a Garmin with lifetime updates now...haven't looked into the cost.

I certainly can identify with the price of the updates! I also have a Garmin Nuvi, and the last time I used it, it took me the wrong way. It was totally my fault as I haven't updated it in the 3 years we've had it, and roads and traffic patterns definitely are always changing.

I priced out the map update, and decided it was too costly. I did a little research and found that the Garmin does have Nuvi's with lifetime updates in certain models. I actually bought a 1300LMT, LMT= Lifetime Maps and Traffic. I really didn't need the traffic portion, but it was on sale on Thanksgiving online at BestBuy for $129. I just couldn't resist. If you do buy one with lifetime maps, make sure you open it up soon, as the lifetime maps deal goes away unless you register the product online within a certain period of time, I think 60 days if memory serves me well.

PSL1013
12-07-2010, 06:25 PM
I certainly can identify with the price of the updates! I also have a Garmin Nuvi, and the last time I used it, it took me the wrong way. It was totally my fault as I haven't updated it in the 3 years we've had it, and roads and traffic patterns definitely are always changing.

I priced out the map update, and decided it was too costly. I did a little research and found that the Garmin does have Nuvi's with lifetime updates in certain models. I actually bought a 1300LMT, LMT= Lifetime Maps and Traffic. I really didn't need the traffic portion, but it was on sale on Thanksgiving online at BestBuy for $129. I just couldn't resist. If you do buy one with lifetime maps, make sure you open it up soon, as the lifetime maps deal goes away unless you register the product online within a certain period of time, I think 60 days if memory serves me well.

We also own the Garmin Nuvi. We updated it once since we got it about 3 years ago and whenever I turn the thing on now, I'm getting a reminder that it needs upgrading again! Might just invest in one of these Lifetime map ones, I'll have to do some research on it and see if it is worth it or not...we don't use the thing all that much.

29apr00
12-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Staples has a Garamin Nuvi 365WT on sale for $119.99 on the front page of their ad. But they also have a TomTom XXL 540TM for $149.99 that says Traffic and Maps updates for life included. so you think it would be better to do the TomTom one? There is Garmin Nuvi1490T with Traffic for Life, but thats $200....I just don't want to spend that much.

spring
12-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Staples has a Garamin Nuvi 365WT on sale for $119.99 on the front page of their ad. But they also have a TomTom XXL 540TM for $149.99 that says Traffic and Maps updates for life included. so you think it would be better to do the TomTom one? There is Garmin Nuvi1490T with Traffic for Life, but thats $200....I just don't want to spend that much.

Just did a quick search on amazon for a "garmin nuvi with lifetime maps." Here's the first entry and a great deal!

1. Garmin nuvi 255 3.5-Inch Portable GPS Navigator with Lifetime Map Updates by Garmin
Buy new: $179.99 $107.54

3 new from $107.54 1 used from $179.99

Get it by Thursday, Dec 9 if you order in the next 31 minutes and choose one-day shipping.
Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping.
(15)Electronics: See all 123 items

29apr00
12-09-2010, 10:11 AM
after reading your recommendations and checking out prices, i've decided to go with the TomTom XXL540TM for the lifetime updates. $149 but i've got 10% off Staples plus about $60 in rewards to use so it'll still be a good price.

Thanks!!