PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Christmas Movie Contest

Three4Me
12-09-2010, 12:37 PM
I think just about everyone has an all time favorite Christmas movie that they watch every year. A movie that has perhaps become a Christmas tradition in your family. Tricia and I have our own personal favorite and we would love to know about yours! We decided to have a Favorite Christmas Movie contest. Please tell us what your favorite Christmas movie is and why! We will pick the most creative answer and send the winner a great prize from our Sunshine Rewards Prize Closet!! The contest starts today (12-9) and ends tomorrow (12/10) at midnight.:sunshine:

wilsonfamily4
12-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Little Women. At least it is the movie I have to see every year. May not be creative but it is what it is. :)

marcymajor
12-09-2010, 12:50 PM
It's A Wonderful Life. i love jimmy stewart and this movie always reminds me that no matter who you are, you can make a difference in everyone's life that you touch, even the smallest difference.

DisneyJudi
12-09-2010, 01:04 PM
Polar Express! I love the message of the movie:heart:

29apr00
12-09-2010, 01:42 PM
Charlie Brown Christmas! It's a classic and appeals to all ages!

zoodoyle
12-09-2010, 01:46 PM
Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas :love: I'm a lover of all things from Jim Henson! The movie has a wonderful storyline as well. Has to be watched at least a half-dozen times during the Christmas season :sunshine: Love it so much, "Emmet" is the name of our beloved Berner (in my avatar).

disney_girl
12-09-2010, 01:51 PM
Charlie Brown Christmas is a tradition in our family!:)

lkat
12-09-2010, 01:52 PM
Elf! "Congratulations! The world's best cup of coffee, wow!" LOVE IT! :rotfl:

secretmoney
12-09-2010, 01:55 PM
The Santa Clause.

mmm611
12-09-2010, 02:00 PM
Definitely Charlie Brown Christmas. I have a LOT of Snoopy things around here. I even have a Charlie Brown christmas tree taht I got last year at CVS!

I also really like The Santa Clause and Home Alone for no particular reason. For my family though, it's definitely Rudolph, as my parents really like Bumble and Hermey!

dwkay8
12-09-2010, 02:35 PM
A Christmas Story has been a family tradition for as long as I can remember. My mom always says that is reminds my dad of his childhood. Although my parents have a full sized leg lamp, we never drank Ovaltine!

~Kathie
12-09-2010, 02:39 PM
Toss up between White Christmas and Miracle on 34th Street. I was thrilled when Miracle was remastered to color.

Alright.........It's a Wonderful Life too. :rotfl:

pbhall13
12-09-2010, 02:42 PM
Animated is Emmit Otters Jugband Christmas and Non animated is White Christmas. They both bring back such happy memories of past christmas'.

PSL1013
12-09-2010, 03:30 PM
Wow so many great holiday movies to choose from. It's a toss up for me between It's a Wonderful Life and Miracle on 34th Street but I think I will have to go with It's a Wonderful Life because in my opinion it summarizes the whole meaning of what Christmas is all about, giving and sharing and thinking of others first. I have to watch both of these movies every year! :christmas:

nurseminnie76
12-09-2010, 03:39 PM
I love A Christmas Story. We keep the tv on all night on the 24th for the A Christmas Story marathon that TBS usually runs. I'm usually watching this movie over and over again as I help "Santa" wrap the kids gifts on Christmas Eve.

I think my children's favorite Christmas movie is Home Alone. They love laughing at all the things Kevin does to the "Wet Bandits".

stacieps
12-09-2010, 03:53 PM
My favorite is the animated "The City that Almost Forgot Christmas" it has a great message and the song sticks with you "you can't stop Christmas, you'll find there is no way . . . . . the day that Christ was born."

I haven't seen this on TV in many years. I used to have an old VHS recording of when it was on TV, but last year I found it on a combo DVD so I can continue to watch it.

iluvamystery89
12-09-2010, 03:55 PM
our family tradition is watching the full "24 hours of A Christmas Story" on either TBS or TNT. we've done it every year since DD was an infant, and she's 13 now. the whole family thinks we're nuts and everyone that comes to our house while it's on says "OMG, not "A Christmas Story" again?! Don't y'all ever get tired of that movie?" well, no, we don't. you'll shoot your eye out!

sqromano
12-09-2010, 04:15 PM
I have always loved Miracle on 34th Street. Part of that movie was filmed in Philadelphia in the old Wannamakers, and my parents took me there to see the lights and sit on Santa's lap when I was little. I also think that there is something timeless and magical about the message in that movie! I also love Rudolph, and DH says our 4 year old looks an awful lot like Hermey!

burns2225
12-09-2010, 04:24 PM
A Christmas Story! Every Mom knows a kid with a Red Rider BB Gun will shot his eye out!!!

Soccer Princess
12-09-2010, 05:37 PM
My favorite is "White Christmas". I love how classic it is and I remember watching it with my grandparents every year. My grandma isn't with us anymore, but I always think of her when I watch it. Also, they sing the song "Mandy" in that movie and I always thought that was the coolest thing when I was little since that was my name lol. :)

spring
12-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Definitely National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. I split my sides laughing everytime I watch it, lol! :rotfl: Sometimes I feel we could be in the movie when we're trying to do our holiday decorations. Nothing seems to go smoothly, and that's an understatement!

sammielynn
12-09-2010, 06:01 PM
The all time favorite for my family is "A Year without a Santa Clause". My boys love The Heat Miser and Snow Miser characters. Each character has his own dance and song, when the movie gets to that part my sons will both jump up and start to dance and sing! They are now 19 and 21, can't wait for the show this year. DS21 will be home from college by the end of the week.
http://www.toymania.com/columns/spotlight/images/palywosctitle.jpg

brandiramirez
12-09-2010, 06:08 PM
It has to be a Christmas Story it is my all time favorite.

TxAggies
12-09-2010, 06:25 PM
My all time favorite Christmas movie is A Christmas Carol. I especially like the old black and white version. My considerate family sits through it every year without too much complaining! I love the transformation of Mr. Scrooge from greedy old miser to a celebrator of Christmas, and of course Tiny Tim is so sweet too! But most of all, I like how the movie really illustrates that the Christmas season seems to bring out the best in all of us.

dismom
12-09-2010, 06:25 PM
Our family has been watching Christmas-related movies every other night for the last week. Though these are not what you may consider Christmas-y, they all speak to the theme of love and hope.

The first movie, While You Were Sleeping", a romantic comedy, takes place at Christmas-time. The message of finding not only true love, but a family, is heart-warming. The engaging ensemble cast makes the humorous back and forth dialogue entertaining. We especially love the dinner table conversation with each person spouting out his/her own opinions, "these mashed potatoes are so creamy!", "Ricky Ricardo was Cuban", "Caesar Romero was tall", "Dustin Hoffman was 5'6", "I like blondes...chubby ones." Sometimes family conversations are like that - we can freely share what we are thinking about with those we love.

The second movie, Stalag 17, a drama about life in a WWII POW camp, takes place at Christmas-time. There have been escape attempts, but no successful ones. Though this may not seem like something that makes you think of Christmas, its themes of love of freedom and hope inspire us to appreciate what we have. The balance of drama, interspersed with humor, while telling a story that draws you in, makes this movie a winner. Wonderful performances by William Holden, and Peter Graves before he played Mr. Phelps in the tv series of Mission:Impossible.

lswheatly
12-09-2010, 06:27 PM
My Favorite Christmas Movie is A Christmas Story. Every Christams Eve, we have a slumber party and order pizza, have candy and popcorn and watch the marathon on TBS.

madamegracey73
12-09-2010, 06:58 PM
My favorite animated/puppetry holiday film is Emmett Otter's Jug Band Christmas. It's a spin on the classic Gift of the Magi story with a great ending and beautiful songs. I love the story's message about love and generosity.

My favorite live action holiday movie is Elf. I'm a high school teacher and I'm constantly trying to get my students to be themselves and, more importantly, to love themselves for who they are! I think Buddy is such a good example of finding and embracing what makes you "you," as well as celebrating and sharing the holiday spirit. :santa:

fanofree
12-09-2010, 07:47 PM
I really like the half hour Christmas Specials more than the movies because I have the attention span of your average three year old. (Really love A Claymation Christmas, but I don't think they play it any more.)

As for full length movies, I love A Miracle on 34th Street, The Polar Express, The Grinch Movie ~ but ~ I really, really love The Nightmare Before Christmas. Yes, a little sick, but Jack means so well and it is so well done with the stop action clay figures. Truly a cinematic masterpiece!

arob414
12-09-2010, 09:23 PM
:christmas:Emmett Otter's Jug Band Christmas, Shirley Temples' The Little Princess, Its a Wonderful Life, White Christmas, Holiday Inn, Charlie Brown's Christmas, Rudolph the Reindeer, The Santa Clause.

And, that's just off the top of my head. I love Christmas movies/specials.:christmas:

bbangel
12-09-2010, 09:35 PM
Such a tough job to pick just one! If forced to choose only one I would have to say the 1951 version of A Christmas Carol with Allistar Sim (sp?). He does such a good job of playing Scrooge.
My family uses lines from that movie all the time! Looking for a label? "label, label, label, label, label" We sing the silly song a lot too "I don't know anything, I never did know anything, but now I know, that I don't know, all on a Christmas morning!" Oh and the housekeeper is priceless "If it ain't out of keeping with the sitiation"
Okay, now I must hunt for my copy of it and watch it!

JOLAROCHE
12-09-2010, 10:21 PM
White Christmas. It reminds me of my mom and dad because this was their time. It is a wonder love story and it shows how people stuck together in tough times.

shmily1
12-09-2010, 10:28 PM
Considering that DGS16months loves all thing Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and I get to see it atleast 5 times a day, I would say Mickey Saves Santa :)

MamaO
12-09-2010, 10:37 PM
I would have to go with everyone who mentionned the 'classics' like Miracle on 34th St, White Christmas, and the Reginal Owen version of A Christmas Carol. But for me, the most classic of them all is It's A Wonderful Life. It's such a perfect blend of comedy and tragedy but ultimately signifies the goodness and hope of mankind. It's just what Christmas is for me.

Iteach
12-09-2010, 11:06 PM
My favorite Christmas movie I hope will become a classic. To me, it's a relatively new classic, The Polar Express. It touches my heart each time I watch it and has a wonderful message for everyone.

luv2go2diz
12-10-2010, 08:26 AM
My favorite Christmas movie I must watch every year is Scrooge with Albert Finney. It is a my favorite version of A Christmas Carol because of the songs and the old time feel of it. Even though A Christmas Carol has been done several times, this is the best to me--plus it has the cutest Tiny Tim, "God bless us, everyone!"

bajam
12-10-2010, 09:53 AM
"The Polar Express"

Five years ago on Christmas Eve, I was extremely huge and pregnant with my 3rd child. It had been a rough pregnancy and I still had 6 weeks to go. My dear DH knew how bad I was feeling so he went and bought this movie for the family to watch that night. My DSs were 4 and 6 and they were ready to get the night started so Santa could come. We decided to climb into bed to watch the movie. We hadn't seen the movie in the theater so the boys were really excited. As we were watching, my younger DS said it was nice to have all 5 of the family members there snuggling, number 5 being the baby in my huge belly that kept kicking him in the back. :rotfl:Two nights later, I went into labor and we welcomed DD 6 weeks early. She was healthy and we were really blessed.

It is now our family tradition to watch "The Polar Express" after church services on Christmas Eve while we eat appetizers and drink hot chocolate. We always ring a bell after the movie to make sure everyone can hear it and then head off to bed to wait for Santa. I can't wait to do it again this year.

MdCaterer
12-10-2010, 07:58 PM
I really enjoy Polar Express but my Favorite has to be How The Grinch Stole Christmas!

Three4Me
12-13-2010, 10:44 AM
Hello there madamegracey73! Congratulations on winning our "Favorite Christmas Movie" contest. If you could please file a trouble ticket with your mailing information, then we will send out your prize to you!! Thank you so much for sharing with us. Your students are blessed to have you! Happy Holidays!

dwkay8
12-13-2010, 11:06 AM
Congrats madamegracey!

madamegracey73
12-13-2010, 04:31 PM
Thank you so much for choosing my entry! All of this sunshine is definitely chasing away the Monday doldrums :sunshine: I can't wait to find out what my prize is! Thank you, again! :cooldance:

SunshineGirl
12-13-2010, 04:59 PM
Thanks to all of the suggestions, I ordered the Jug Band Christmas on Amazon on Friday and we are about to sit down to watch it!

zoodoyle
12-14-2010, 01:32 AM
Thanks to all of the suggestions, I ordered the Jug Band Christmas on Amazon on Friday and we are about to sit down to watch it!

Hope you love it!! :love:

madamegracey73
12-22-2010, 05:02 PM
I just got my prize in the mail! Thank you so much, Sunshine Rewards! I especially love the tote bag :sunshine: :sunshine: