PDA

View Full Version : DVC..info about renting pts

luvdisney00
02-24-2008, 11:16 AM
On the DIS I keep seeing over and over that it is a good deal to rent pts from a DVC owner to save $$ and get more space. I have been reading a little about it over there, but on the DVC board, everyone seems to be very familiar with what they are doing. Can someone tell me a little bit about how to start this process? I am just looking at my options right now.

ligrumpygirl
02-24-2008, 12:16 PM
Usually owners rent out points if they can't use them for the year or if they are trying to make money for a cruise or other vacation. I believe the going rate is $10 a point. What does this mean? Every night in a DVC resort is assigned at point value. Each point is rented out for $10.

For example: at SSR each weeknight (weekends are high points usually double) during high season in a studio (just like a hotel room but has a mini kitchen with micro, fridge and sink) is 13 points or if rented $130. This fits 4 people plus 1 under 3 but is tight.

a one bedroom (seperate bedroom and living/dining room with full size kitchen is 27 points or $270. This fits the same 4+1 as above. There is a pull out couch in the living room.

How do you go about looking for points? From what I know, you decide on resort and time frame first. Then you can put a message on the DIS. If you "match" with somebody they will contact you. There is a lot of trut involved because a non-DVC member cannot call and check on the reservation. There are some "rules" to go by on the DIS somewhere...things to look out for.

I have never rented my points but I hope I at least gave you a background. If you know where and when you want to stay, I can tell you how many points are needed.

Weluvdisny
02-24-2008, 12:49 PM
I was really skeptical about renting points. We usually drive down and say "What if something goes wrong and we can't go and we've already rented points from someone?" This time we flew and knew there was no way we would be cancelling the trip.

We were lucky enough to rent points from a fellow SR member who happened to see my post on the Rent/Trade board and it was a great experience!

You might be able to use paypal from SR points to pay the DVC member. The only downside is they might charge you more per point. We paid $10/point.

Just make sure if you post on the rent/trade board that when you get your points that you need to close your original post. I neglected to do that and I have a strike against me for that.

You really can't beat the prices for the rooms if you rent. I mean $80 for a value room at AKV during Adventure Season? That's like the price of the value resorts!!

Good luck and keep us posted if you do it!

luvdisney00
02-24-2008, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the fast replies. This is definetely an option, although just like a lot of places in Disney a family of 5 is hard. A one BR might be tight, and the 2 BR would probably negate any cost savings. I'll look into it a little further, I'm checking all of my options!
Thanks so much!

ligrumpygirl
02-24-2008, 01:47 PM
I am not sure but I think that the new AKL may sleep 5. What are the ages of your kids?

kimbih
02-25-2008, 02:58 PM
I am not sure but I think that the new AKL may sleep 5. What are the ages of your kids?

The new villas at AKL will sleep 5 on a special sleeper chair :)

Two other great sites to check out for DVC info are:

mouseowners.com (mouseowners.com/forums) They also have a rent/trade board
dvcnews.com excellent site for DVC related news.

They are smaller than the DIS and I find a little friendlier. Plus since they are smaller, it's easier to find what you need without going through alot of other posts. I post as Stimpy at both (well all 3 actually, but I don't post at DIS too much right now) :mickey:

luvdisney00
02-25-2008, 08:13 PM
Thanks for all of the info. I'm still looking and pricing things, but it's great to have these options to check out.

Pooh's Pal
03-14-2008, 12:46 AM
Two other great sites to check out for DVC info are:

mouseowners.com (mouseowners.com/forums) They also have a rent/trade board dvcnews.com excellent site for DVC related news.

They are smaller than the DIS and I find a little friendlier. Plus since they are smaller, it's easier to find what you need without going through alot of other posts. I post as Stimpy at both (well all 3 actually, but I don't post at DIS too much right now) :mickey:

I love those two sites...frequent them often.
I also use Tagrel...great point charts http://www.tagrel.com/dvcCompChart.shtml

As stated earlier, renting points is a trust thing....do your research....check how many points the person offering points has, see if they have been around the boards for awhile...remember you are going to send them a chunk of change. Have your dates set when you go looking for points, there is no turning back once the owner has made a reservation for you. You can't cancel your reservation with them as easily as you can with a general reservation with Disney...if you do you may not get your money back. So, look for a honest owner...look carefully. I've rented points for most of my last vacations for the past 5 years and have been extremly lucky...I now turn to my previous renters for points first, before I go looking. I've also rented out points for my boss once when she had to cancel her trip at the last minute...it was two weeks before, but she got a nice gal from CT to take her reservation...and she got it for a steal too.

good luck...ask away if you need any more renting info. ;)

faithhope
03-14-2008, 11:37 AM
It isn't a DVC... but just wanted to let you know about it in case you didn't...

The cabins at Fort Wilderness Campground sleep 6...
and it has a kitchen.

I'm not sure how it compares on price though.

luvdisney00
03-14-2008, 02:42 PM
Thanks everyone for all of the great info. I've decided not to rent DVC this trip, but I printed all of the info out to save for future trips. It's great to be able to come here and have friends help with all I need to know. We are going 9/17- 9/22 and as of right now staying at BC, but I think I may change to Poly because I think it will work out better for us. Fingers crossed for Free dining!!!

Weluvdisny
03-14-2008, 10:51 PM
So you decided to stay at BC? That's one of the places we want to stay next. Can I ask why you didn't rent points to stay there? It might save you some money.

luvdisney00
03-15-2008, 07:08 AM
So you decided to stay at BC? That's one of the places we want to stay next. Can I ask why you didn't rent points to stay there? It might save you some money.

Being a family of 5 we would need a 2 BR, and although it would get us more space it wasn't going to save us $$ because we had to stay over a weekend. We are doing 5 nights, but my husband has to be at work on Tuesdays so we are going Wed-Mon. You could do better renting pts Sun-Thurs because the weekend rates are more pts. I am pretty sure we are moving to the Poly anyway. My kids will be 13, 10 & 5 for this trip and we are doing MNSSP so I think the Poly for this trip, and then if our next trip is in about 1 1/2 or 2 years, the BC club will perfect for their ages.

I am hoping (hoping hoping) to get free dining for this trip, to offset the cost a little. We should hear soon I think. :wizard:

Weluvdisny
03-16-2008, 08:27 PM
I didn't look into renting points vs. booking thru disney on the weekends because we don't normally arrive until Sunday to avoid the crowds.

Good luck and I hope you get free dining. Here's some pixie dust!:wizard: