PDA

View Full Version : American Express Card Offer Worth $20

SunshineGirl
11-02-2011, 08:02 PM
I just posted a new American Express card offer that some of you might be interested in. It's $20 if you sign up and get approved. I think you do have to use the card at least once but there is no annual fee. Might be worth it for some of you. :)

mmm611
11-02-2011, 08:29 PM
Hmm...this is really tempting! My old gas station MC quit paying cashback unless I spent $500/month on gas there! I have never hit that much and used it only where places wouldn't take Discover. I have gotten some mail about the Amex Blue card and have considered it, but I'll be waiting till at least next week to make a final decision, after my change of address is 100% complete, along with my move!

So.....Discover is my primary card and the old gas station MC was my backup for places that wouldn't take Discover. I've decided if they want to stop paying me, I'm not using their card anymore and have used my Best Buy MC instead. Anybody want to push me over the edge on getting the Amex card, LOL?

kristenrice
11-03-2011, 09:05 AM
Hmm...this is really tempting! My old gas station MC quit paying cashback unless I spent $500/month on gas there! I have never hit that much and used it only where places wouldn't take Discover. I have gotten some mail about the Amex Blue card and have considered it, but I'll be waiting till at least next week to make a final decision, after my change of address is 100% complete, along with my move!

So.....Discover is my primary card and the old gas station MC was my backup for places that wouldn't take Discover. I've decided if they want to stop paying me, I'm not using their card anymore and have used my Best Buy MC instead. Anybody want to push me over the edge on getting the Amex card, LOL?

I have the AMEX BlueSky card. I got it when I received an offer for 30,000 points if I spent $500 in 90 days. When I found out that those points translated into $400 towards travel expenses, I jumped on it!

We used to have no annual fee. Then, they offered us an "upgrade" which would give us double points on gas, dining and wireless plans for a $39 annual fee. (That is no longer an option and our annual fee is now back to $0)

Here's a great thing about the rewards...they can be used for ANYTHING travel-related. For a Disney-phile like me, it is unbeatable. We put our AMEX on our room key so that ANYTHING charged to the room (tickets, food, souvenirs, tours, etc) end up being charged as a "resort" expense so it is categorized as "travel". That means that we can apply our rewards to any of our Disney expenses. We went to Disney's HHI resort in April and charged food, souvenirs, bike rental, kayak trip, dolphin tour, kid's nite out and even our craft activities to our room. I was able to redeem $500 in AMEX rewards which completely covered our "incidental" expenses for our vacation. Since we drove, the AMEX points also covered a night in a hotel on the road, including room service!

SCard
11-03-2011, 08:18 PM
I applied. The rewards are better than I get on my Chase cards (except for quarterly bonuses).

***I checked and has been approved***

mellymel261
11-03-2011, 09:38 PM
I applied as well great offer thanks! :party:

Alice28
11-06-2011, 12:57 AM
Hmm. I have an Amex blue, but this is blue cash....different....maybe I will try and see what occurs.

SunshineGirl
11-08-2011, 12:08 PM
Starting to see the credits come in for these!! Looks like it takes about 5-7 days after signup.

SCard
11-08-2011, 12:17 PM
Starting to see the credits come in for these!! Looks like it takes about 5-7 days after signup.

Mine is in Pending! it says "Credit hold until 12/15/11

Thanks for this offer - 0% for 12 months and better cash back on groceries and gas than I am getting on my Chase Freedom. + $100 cashback bonus. I will be using this card for my SR Holiday shopping.

Alice28
11-10-2011, 12:42 AM
I got approved! Looking forward to the credit- I'm getting close to the 4K mark. :banana:

mmm611
11-12-2011, 07:22 PM
For those who have done this, did you get any kind of an email from Amex afterwards? I don't have anything yet and I did the offer earlier this afternoon.

SCard
11-12-2011, 07:53 PM
For those who have done this, did you get any kind of an email from Amex afterwards? I don't have anything yet and I did the offer earlier this afternoon.

I got an e-mail from Amex about 4 days after I applied.

mmm611
11-12-2011, 08:03 PM
I got an e-mail from Amex about 4 days after I applied.

Ah, thanks!

mmm611
11-16-2011, 07:10 PM
Still no email for me and I applied Saturday. I was just told by my mom, however, that they called my parents for some reason. Why, I have no idea. I have no clue what this will do with me here. It's really odd because I am sure I did not give them their phone number and I haven't lived there in 3 1/2 years.

mmm611
11-17-2011, 06:39 PM
Well, geez, mine says the application was cancelled. Probably because they called my parents instead of me!

Apparently not! My mom just gave me a phone number and access code and it now says I'm approved!

Alice28
11-18-2011, 12:17 AM
mine was approved a good week ago; still no card.

I saw something at Costco that I want to buy with it. Hope it comes soon!

No credit yet, but I'm not sure if it has to be used first to show up here on SR?

SCard
11-18-2011, 08:32 AM
mine was approved a good week ago; still no card.

I saw something at Costco that I want to buy with it. Hope it comes soon!

No credit yet, but I'm not sure if it has to be used first to show up here on SR?

Does it show as pending? Mine is pending until December 15th. I got the card in the mail about 10-14 days after I applied.

MdCaterer
11-18-2011, 09:52 AM
I applied. The rewards are better than I get on my Chase cards (except for quarterly bonuses).

***I checked and has been approved***

Which Chase cards? Is this better than Chase Ink? Thanks!

SCard
11-18-2011, 10:02 AM
Which Chase cards? Is this better than Chase Ink? Thanks!

Chase Freedom. They offer a different 5% cash back every quarter and the limit is up to $1500. This quarter is restaurants and department stores and Kohls. Last quarter was gasoline and travel. My favorite is groceries; if they want to give me 5% cash back on the food I buy every week I am good with that.

I like that you can use the rewards for gift cards or you can request a check which I usually get and deposit it in my Disney vacation fund.

The Freedom card gives 1% cash back on all purchases; there is usually a special cash back offer on the website for getting the card. The interest rate is 12.9% I think; I pay it off every month so I don't pay alot of attention to the rate.

MdCaterer
11-18-2011, 11:19 AM
Restaurants, Department stores AND Kohls!!! I wish I had known before I ordered all those items from Kohls! I will check into this one. I have the CHase Ink so I need to make the comparison. Thanks!!

mmm611
11-22-2011, 06:11 PM
I got the approved message on the website last week and my confirmation email yesterday. Today I got a letter in the mail asking for confirmation of my address by way of a letter from my bank on their letterhead. I'm wondering if this is something the rest of you got or if this is because they called the second phone number on the account originally with the validation code (which was my grandma's number because I only have one working phone number. My phone at work doesn't work.) I also told them I have hearing problems....I'm just wondering if the letter is still relevant or if I can just ignore it now?

Alice28
11-22-2011, 08:59 PM
OK, I got my card yesterday and my credit is pending!

Woot!

Question- was there a perk with this card? Like spend $500 in the first 3 months and get extra bonus rewards back? I honestly cannot remember. I plan on using it this weekend, but I wanted to know if there was specific incentive to use it often besides the regular 3% back on groceries, 2% on gas, 1% on everything else.

Funny, my credit line for this card is 5 times what my other amex is....sort of surprised at that!

SCard
11-22-2011, 09:07 PM
OK, I got my card yesterday and my credit is pending!

Woot!

Question- was there a perk with this card? Like spend $500 in the first 3 months and get extra bonus rewards back? I honestly cannot remember. I plan on using it this weekend, but I wanted to know if there was specific incentive to use it often besides the regular 3% back on groceries, 2% on gas, 1% on everything else.

Funny, my credit line for this card is 5 times what my other amex is....sort of surprised at that!

The offer I applied for was a $100 cash back bonus if I spend $1000 in the first 3 months. I didn't see this on line when I activated the card so I called Amex. They asked me for the reference number that was on the letter I got letting me know that I had been approved for the card. This letter came maybe a week before I got the card.

Alice28
11-22-2011, 09:59 PM
OK, thanks! I didn't save the letter and I'm not sure i would use it that much in the next 3 months anyway. We shall see.

mmm611
11-28-2011, 08:32 PM
My card came today! Whoo hoo! Still waiting on that credit to go pending though....I'm surprised they told me I have a great credit score but they kept my credit limit low. Maybe that's so I can keep the credit score higher by paying my bills on time so I can charge more, LOL? I thought Amex was supposed to have obscene credit limits.

SCard
12-15-2011, 08:29 AM
The $20 SR bonus is in my account today, just in time for my PP cashout. Plus the $100 bonus from Amex is posted too.

What a great offer! Thanks Tricia.:thanks:

mmm611
12-15-2011, 05:55 PM
That's awesome, SCard! My credit came through on Dec. 1, so I have it pending till January 15, which is fine by me! I was hoping it wouldn't hit until then so it would go towards SM for next quarter!

I think I should be able to hit that $100 bonus as well, thought it will take me a little longer than it took you. I charge EVERYTHING.

SCard
12-15-2011, 06:19 PM
That's awesome, SCard! My credit came through on Dec. 1, so I have it pending till January 15, which is fine by me! I was hoping it wouldn't hit until then so it would go towards SM for next quarter!

I think I should be able to hit that $100 bonus as well, thought it will take me a little longer than it took you. I charge EVERYTHING.

Reaching the $1000 was faster as I had some work done on my car and purchased a year's worth of minutes for my prepaid cell phone. ;)

mmm611
12-15-2011, 06:34 PM
That definitely explains it! I looked...in less than a month, I have $220 on my card so far. I'm trying not to use it until after I get my statement....about another 10 or so days. I think I will have more money to pay the bill in Feb. rather than Jan!

mmm611
01-02-2012, 06:29 PM
Uh, question here from the Amex newbie. My first statement was dated 12/22. I'm just wondering if there's a reason why my rewards are 0? I did use the card! I'm kind of hoping it's just slow to update, but my other cards have the rewards on the same statement.

SCard
01-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Uh, question here from the Amex newbie. My first statement was dated 12/22. I'm just wondering if there's a reason why my rewards are 0? I did use the card! I'm kind of hoping it's just slow to update, but my other cards have the rewards on the same statement.

my second statement cut 12/22 and it looks like the rewards lag 30 day behind. I had a few purchases before the 11/22 statement was cut and those showed up on the 12/22 statement so I am expecting a big bump in the rewards around 1/22. the $100 bonus showed up shortly after I hit the $1000 in charges to the card.

mmm611
01-03-2012, 06:31 PM
my second statement cut 12/22 and it looks like the rewards lag 30 day behind. I had a few purchases before the 11/22 statement was cut and those showed up on the 12/22 statement so I am expecting a big bump in the rewards around 1/22. the $100 bonus showed up shortly after I hit the $1000 in charges to the card.

Good to know, thanks!