PDA

View Full Version : Where did my thread go?

TtownAnne
03-11-2008, 10:35 PM
I started a thread earlier about a problem I was having. It has disappeared, when I was about to try some of the tips people suggested. Was there some type of problem? It's not even showing up in my "threads started".

sunshinecindy
03-12-2008, 08:22 AM
Just do a search. All those same suggestions are still out there. I deleted it. All it became was a complaining thread, not informational and we don't need more of that. We do however have tons of threads with suggestions on how to get credits and shopping and surveys to credit.

TtownAnne
03-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Wow, talk about a handslap.

sunshinecindy
03-12-2008, 01:16 PM

Actually, its to stop all the negativity on the board. I'll repeat this one more time. When things aren't crediting we know it and we pull the offer. If they are crediting decently, 99.9% of the time its the members computer that is somehow blocking the credit. It doesn't seem to take much, maybe a firewall, or spyware, even a cleaner running at the time. But, we don't want everyone thinking they can't get credit for an offer or offers because its not working for one person, or even a few. It makes the members discouraged, and that is why I will delete negative threads that have no meaning.

linanglab
03-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Actually, its to stop all the negativity on the board. I'll repeat this one more time. When things aren't crediting we know it and we pull the offer. If they are crediting decently, 99.9% of the time its the members computer that is somehow blocking the credit. It doesn't seem to take much, maybe a firewall, or spyware, even a cleaner running at the time. But, we don't want everyone thinking they can't get credit for an offer or offers because its not working for one person, or even a few. It makes the members discouraged, and that is why I will delete negative threads that have no meaning.

I did not know that a cleaner could prevent an offer from crediting! Good to know for future use!

jnorth1007
03-12-2008, 01:32 PM

I think that the other problem is that you stated from the beginning that you didn't want any advice about cleaning cookies when the fact that you weren't cleaning cookies at all is most likely the EXACT reason why you aren't getting credits. Since you weren't interested in advice about clearing cookies and the majority of the responses were concerning cleaning cookies the thread was kinda useless. Wouldn't you say?

andrea2289
03-12-2008, 04:31 PM

I know it feels that way, but there has been a wealth of information posted on this. There is nothing that can be done about non-crediting of free offers. When I talk to people about the site, I always tell them read the forum before asking questions. Use the search function; it is great for finding answers. I still use it all the time! It is frustrating when things don't credit, but try to remember that the free offers are just that, free offers. I know it seemed a little harsh, but SR works very hard to accomodate us and help us all make money and to make this the best reward site/community there is. When there seems to be a lot of complaining about the same things over and over, it is frustrating for them as well.

3dog2kidmom
03-12-2008, 08:42 PM
I know it feels that way, but there has been a wealth of information posted on this. There is nothing that can be done about non-crediting of free offers. When I talk to people about the site, I always tell them read the forum before asking questions. Use the search function; it is great for finding answers. I still use it all the time! It is frustrating when things don't credit, but try to remember that the free offers are just that, free offers. I know it seemed a little harsh, but SR works very hard to accomodate us and help us all make money and to make this the best reward site/community there is. When there seems to be a lot of complaining about the same things over and over, it is frustrating for them as well.

I agree, Andrea. At first when I read the answer I thought, "wow" until I thought about it. We simply can't complain and drag the whole community down. If I read negative post after negative post, it honestly makes me want to stay away from the forum, and if I stay away from the forum I don't earn as much!

I will say that I love the search function on this site --- even though I don't use it often enough and am probably guilty of asking questions that have already been addressed myself :angel:

TtownAnne
03-13-2008, 12:00 PM
Okay folks, hang on - I ONLY mentioned the cookie issue because one of the admin. herself (and don't ask me which one, I don't remember because it was months ago) said it in another thread the last time there was some big problem, so I presumed that if an admin. was still participating with no problems then there was no reason I couldn't too. Be that as it may, I have Firefox so I can't even find how to clear cookies. C'est la vie - it affects my participation. Hence why I was trying to figure it out - not *complaining* but asking for suggestions. Thanks to all the people that offered me help before the thread was removed.

SunshineGirl
03-13-2008, 12:03 PM
I don't actually know how Firefox affects all of the offers or shopping. Maybe we need to start a thread in the technical area for Firefox users specifically and start combining some of the wisdom we are accumulating on Firefox issues?

m 'n c
03-13-2008, 12:04 PM
If you have windows then Firefox is your issue. SR is not set to work with Firefox because Firefox blocks popups and cookies that you need to complete offers. Some people have luck with daily surveys using Firefox but that is about it.

m 'n c
03-13-2008, 12:09 PM
I don't actually know how Firefox affects all of the offers or shopping. Maybe we need to start a thread in the technical area for Firefox users specifically and start combining some of the wisdom we are accumulating on Firefox issues?

The pros on firefox (why everyone recommends it in the tech industry) is that it is great at blocking popups and cookies which would work for anything but SR/loyalty sites. I think trying to use it here really is a bad idea.

jnorth1007
03-13-2008, 12:13 PM
I wouldn't say that noone cares. I think that people around here are very helpful and concerned with helping other. However, the issue is on your end so you have to be willing to take the advice and help yourself. I know that Cindy uses IE and very rarely clears cookies. Does that mean that everyone can go without clearing cookies? Nope. That means that you have to work with your computer and figure out what works for you. This may change every couple of months. Sometimes what works for a while stops working and you need to try something new. Noone is trying to be ugly to you we just don't want to be told that you don't want to try all of the options. If you aren't willing to clear cookies then unfortunately I don't believe you will have much luck getting anything to credit. If you are willing to clear cookies some times then I am sure that someone here can help you figure out how to do that on Firefox. I have to agree with Catherine though that SR is set up for IE and not Firefox and so you may not be having any luck because of a combination of those two things. I originally used AOL. It stopped crediting. I switched to IE and I don't have major issues. We would be happy to help you if you are willing to take our advice.

TtownAnne
03-13-2008, 12:22 PM
Okay, these are things I didn't know - see, this is actually informative! :) But that returns to my original question. I've had and used Firefox since I joined SR last summer without a problem (minor things that didn't credit, I expect and understand that). However, being as I didn't change any settings at all since I'm not that technologically advanced, what would have changed in mid-January that would prevent me from receiving any offer credits at all? My purpose for asking was that it seemed such a random/arbitrary change. One day it worked just fine, one day it didn't.

sunshinecindy
03-13-2008, 12:22 PM
The pros on firefox (why everyone recommends it in the tech industry) is that it is great at blocking popups and cookies which would work for anything but SR/loyalty sites. I think trying to use it here really is a bad idea.

I can tell you this for sure. I had someone helping me by going through the offers to see if they were expired so i could remove them. She was using Firefox and half of the offers she thought were bad...they weren't. Firefox just wouldn't open them. I do use IE, but remember too, I don't do all those offers that everyone does. Tricia and I take turns to see if they credit, but I'm not diligent at it like the members are, I'm working on other stuff. I do occasinally clear my cookies, but more importantly I think, I reboot my computer on a regular basis and this seems to help me for some reason. Who knows why. I just had Verizon out for 3 hrs cause my Fios wouldn't work, and it was because my IP address was stuck. The guy had never seen that in 20 years, so there is just no accounting as to why one computer works for things and another doesn't. The Verizon guy did tell me that in some cases, a lot of other people can be getting on your wireless connection and you have no idea and that can affect the way your computer performs too.

sunshinecindy
03-13-2008, 12:26 PM
I've had and used Firefox since I joined SR last summer without a problem (minor things that didn't credit, I expect and understand that). However, being as I didn't change any settings at all since I'm not that technologically advanced, what would have changed in mid-January that would prevent me from receiving any offer credits at all? One day it worked just fine, one day it didn't.

Wow, if you figure out that millioin dollar question, let the rest of us know.

m 'n c
03-13-2008, 12:27 PM
If you updated to a new version or installed a patch for Firefox since last summer it could have messed things up. Like I said before I do not recommend firefox for SR but I recommend it for general surfing.

jnorth1007
03-13-2008, 12:29 PM
Okay, these are things I didn't know - see, this is actually informative! :) But that returns to my original question. I've had and used Firefox since I joined SR last summer without a problem (minor things that didn't credit, I expect and understand that). However, being as I didn't change any settings at all since I'm not that technologically advanced, what would have changed in mid-January that would prevent me from receiving any offer credits at all? My purpose for asking was that it seemed such a random/arbitrary change. One day it worked just fine, one day it didn't.

There is no way to know WHY it stopped working. I did SR on AOL for months with no problem. All of a sudden nothing would credit, not even shopping. I had to switch to IE. I personally think it is a mix of the two things. Using Firefox and not clearing cookies. I tried Firefox once or twice but the fast crediting offers I was doing weren't crediting so I deleted it. I think that your best bet is to switch to IE for SR only if you don't like to use it for other things. Then you can go in and periodically delete cookies just on IE and not delete your other cookies on your computer. Try that for a little while and see if it helps. If it doesn't then we have to look at the fact that there might be something that you picked up while on the internet that is capturing your cookies. I think the first two are more likely but if you d/l AVG free then it will scan your computer and let you know if there is anything on there that is blocking your cookies. HTH!

gpp2001
03-13-2008, 02:20 PM
I'm amazed that people have problems with Firefox. I switched from Safari in October and I love it! I don't always get credit but then again I didn't always get credit using Safari or IE. I have an iMac and IE doesn't work very well on it!!

To clear cookies, go to the Firefox option on the toolbar and click on Preferences - there is then an option for Show Cookies - then it lists the cookies - what I like about this is that it lists the cookies by site, not by individual cookies and a can delete the cookies for only the sites I want to delete - I leave cookies alone for SR and my bank and other places that I have saved passwords. I've tried deleting cookies on IE and you just have to delete all of them, because to try and pick out the ones you want to keep is too hard.

HTH - if you need more help PM me. I will gladly try to help in any way possible! Good luck!

jnorth1007
03-13-2008, 02:29 PM
I would recommend that you try clearing your cookies in firefox using the method she just gave you first. Then try some of the fast crediting ones and see if they credit. If not then try switching to IE. Some people have had luck on MACs with Firefox. i don't know what the difference is since I dont have a MAC. It doesn't seem to work so well on Windows. Every computer is different so I would just start trying some of these tips one by one until you find out what will work