PDA

View Full Version : Really Saving Money Online?

SunshineGirl
03-13-2008, 09:47 AM
I wanted to get a thread going for people who are genuinely looking for some ways to cut back a little bit by shopping online. Obviously there are basic things like--use SR and get cash back. LOL! But I mean more specific things that you buy online so that you save either the gas price of going shopping or actually get things cheaper. I'll start with a couple of my own examples. Please chime in if you know of any others!

Electronics with in-store pickup: Often the prices at big box stores like Circuit City are cheaper than in the store. So you can buy online and then pick up in the store that same day.

Drugstore items: With free shipping at Hocks and Drugstore.com, I always watch for Buy One Get One and 50% specials on things like tylenol, bandaids, shampoo, etc. Stuff that if I stock up on in advance I am less likely to just grab at the grocery where it is really expensive.

Gifts for relative: With the cost of postage and shipping going up, I find that if I can get a free shipping deal from a place like David's Cookies, it is cheaper for me to just buy online and have it sent than to buy a gift here, package it, and ship it.

Any others??

SunshineGirl
03-13-2008, 09:49 AM
I forgot Office Depot! With their 10% off online coupon and free shipping, I save money on my business expenses like paper and envelopes (which I use a lot of!!!)

Maybe digital picture developing with all of the coupons that we get?

jnorth1007
03-13-2008, 09:51 AM
I have found that shopping for shoes online has saved me in many ways. First it saves me the gas of going to the stores. Free shipping and returns means no cost to purchasing online. Second it saves me time which I have very little of. I can just go through their selection online and it really is quicker than browsing through the store. Third, it saves me sanity since I don't have to drag three kids into a store where they will try on a million pair of shoes. I don't have to try to herd them to the same spot and keep them there. I just pick out shoes and ask them if they like them and hit submit. Easy Peasy!

Hedy
03-13-2008, 09:52 AM
Food-buying in bulk from Glenny's and Amazon. A friend of mine called it Costco without the membership, which I think is an apt description.
Oh, and flowers. Great prices, nice quality, and I see what my loved one is getting, as opposed to crossing my fingers that Hicksville Florist does a good job.

sunshinecindy
03-13-2008, 10:10 AM
Its like buying at Restockit too. You can get all your paper products, papertowels, toilet paper, cleaning supplies, air fresheners etc. Most of us buy that kind of stuff in bulk in the regular stores, so you might as well buy it online. AND, you aren't walking through a store buying stuff you don't need likey you do when you are in a store and they have stuff in the aisles displayed so appealingly. Another place to shop is Omaha Steaks. You can buy all your quality meats/chicken/seafood and much more through them. Not only do we always have coupons for all these places, but you get the cash back too.

Another note: If you have to pay shipping, compare it to what you would pay in gas to go to the store. Unless you live right on top of the store you are going to use a minimum of 2 gallons of gas plus wear and tear on your car and your time away from home. So, that equals probably 12.00.

m 'n c
03-13-2008, 10:17 AM
Anytime I'm not physically going into Target or walmart but shopping via online with them saves me money. No more impulsive buying. I have found most of my friends are registering at Target for their weddings and trying to find the stuff instore is a nightmare but its easy online so I'll gladly pay the small shipping charge.

wilsonfamily4
03-13-2008, 11:22 AM
At amazon.com they used to do a deal where if you bought like $50.00 you got $10.00 off on groceries. This was when we still used diapers and so I would buy diapers and wipes online and have them delivered to my house. That was so incredibly nice. Saved money and time as well as gas!

For me it is a 30 mile trek into town so buying online saves money just in gas alone. Ususally shipping is cheaper then the gas I would have spent myself!

askomsky
03-13-2008, 11:31 AM
We live in a burb with tons of stores all within 10 miles, 4 grocery stores in 2 miles of my home.

So when I save the most money for online shopping is any electronics purchases. Pa doesn't have tax on groceries or clothes so even most of those purchases are easier in the store.

I agree with Janet shoe shopping though is my least fav with the kids, so I do that online. We've bought a lot of electronics last year for computer, and all the other devices. We would shop the sites and compare, SR has almost all the sites so it was a no brainer. We found buy.com, circuitcity.com and tigerdirect to have the best deals, plus a % back from SR.

I also regulary check out certain sites online, especially when they have free shipping, it just makes more sense to buy it online when it's on sale and ships for free.

sunshinecindy
03-13-2008, 11:42 AM
We live in a burb with tons of stores all within 10 miles, 4 grocery stores in 2 miles of my home.

So when I save the most money for online shopping is any electronics purchases. Pa doesn't have tax on groceries or clothes so even most of those purchases are easier in the store.

I agree with Janet shoe shopping though is my least fav with the kids, so I do that online. We've bought a lot of electronics last year for computer, and all the other devices. We would shop the sites and compare, SR has almost all the sites so it was a no brainer. We found buy.com, circuitcity.com and tigerdirect to have the best deals, plus a % back from SR.

I also regulary check out certain sites online, especially when they have free shipping, it just makes more sense to buy it online when it's on sale and ships for free.

I'm not too far from stores either, but my main concern when I go into the store is the impulsive buying. I swear, I can go into the store for lunchmeat and bread and come out with 30.00 worth of stuff. Its so irritating. I have a box of donut holes right now that won't get eaten, but when I was in the store, they looked good, so I bought them. It will be a waste of 3.00, just right there. Also, many stores have "online" specials only, so look for those. You can't get them going to the local stores. Sears and Kmart run those a lot.

askomsky
03-13-2008, 11:47 AM
I'm not too far from stores either, but my main concern when I go into the store is the impulsive buying. I swear, I can go into the store for lunchmeat and bread and come out with 30.00 worth of stuff. Its so irritating. I have a box of donut holes right now that won't get eaten, but when I was in the store, they looked good, so I bought them. It will be a waste of 3.00, just right there. Also, many stores have "online" specials only, so look for those. You can't get them going to the local stores. Sears and Kmart run those a lot.

LOL I agree! Target though is my downfall on impromptu purchases. I'm usually pretty good in the grocery store, but that's bc I stockpile. If it's on sale and we use it and I have coupons I'll buy it. DH doesn't mess with me on the grocery bill bc I'm a coupon addict! lol We talked about it before in chat, I buy them online at ebay for products I use all the time. I do occasionally purchase the foods I shouldn't but not too often.

I like Wal-Mart with Sears and Kmart for those reasons too. Circuit city and Best Buy are two others who's online prices tend to be cheaper then instore and being able to ship to store is great. When we researched and decided which video camera to buy, Circuit City had the best deal online. Then DH drove to DE (tax free) to buy it plus he had a coupon from work for 10% off the purchase. It rang up $100 more in store then online but bc he had printed off the item from their website they gave it to him.

bbangel
03-13-2008, 11:53 AM
I find I save money buying books online. I usually shop at Indigo and the online prices are cheaper than in store prices.

As others have said, it can help with the impulse purchases.

I think I'm going to start shipping friends and relatives gifts directly from stores since as Tricia mentioned it is costing more to mail things. It will also make it easier to send edible gifts and flowers to people who don't live anywhere near me!

kimntrent
03-13-2008, 12:33 PM
Drugstore is a big one for me. I find a lot of stuff that I normally would buy at Target or Sephora on there like Bliss face wash and I get it free shipping and cash back. Sometimes they are a little more up there but for the most part it is a lot less. For example: Airborne. If you buy it in the store here it averages 5.50 to 6.99 a box. Drugstore has had it all winter long for 4.99 a box. And I love the drugstore bucks you get.

Smartbargins also is a good one. I bought the most beautiful sheets on there for 40.00 so I added the duvet cover for 40.00 and boom I had an awesome set for 80.00. They were beautiful egyptian cotton and all in a sage green and brown. Actually very similar to ones at Restoration Hardware. Cal Kings in a store other then Target where they seem to go to crap fast would cost over 60.00 for a pair. And I got my hubby Ben Sherman Jeans which he loves to wear but I don't love the 100 price tag for 40.00 on there.

Kim

Riyaa
03-13-2008, 12:49 PM
One I think has just saved me money is Diapers.com. I normally cloth diaper, but I'm going to visit family for three weeks, and it's really inconvenient to cloth diaper on the road like that (I've done it before that's why I'm not doing it again). The diapers I wanted to use are only available at certain stores that are all across town from me. So, factoring in gas and time, I'm saving quite a bit.

mollyeilis
03-13-2008, 03:42 PM
I normally cloth diaper...

Yay for CDing! If I get a chance to CD another baby, I'm going to be hounding my fave sites to set up affiliates so I can get SR on them. :) When we travel to my brother's (when DS was still in dipes), I was so lucky that my brother (blissfully childfree) remembered that he and I were CD'd, and recognized that a washer's job is to get things clean, so he was beyond OK with my using his laundry room for the dipes thereby making it much easier for me. Whew!

To the question.

I've been trying to figure out what I save. I'm just so used to buying things online it's just a way of life to me, and for many things it's been so long since I realized online would consistently be cheaper, that I barely think about it anymore.

One issue for us is sales tax, though. Since drugstore and amazon both are here in WA, we're charged tax on our purchases from them. So quite a bit of the savings that you all have don't apply for us. Which means that sometimes prices are even. Which means I spent a LOT of time with purchases, figuring out the best places. Also, hubby gets a discount code with amazon, so that eliminates (as far as I know) any rewards for SR's prize pot. :(

The impulse buys are something of a big deal, definitely. Though sometimes I toss stuff in my online shopping cart to get me to free shipping, so....hmm.

When I need my Philosophy stuff, though, shopping online is invaluable, b/c the closest Sephora is in north Seattle, and that's an obnoxious drive. If I order straight from sephora.com, I save the tax, whew!

I have to check out that amazon grocery deal...as some of you might know, hubby works there again (we met while CS reps in different cities there), and they just stopped the local delivery (to his office) with amazon Fresh. If they've expanded the grocery stuff I'll have to check it out.

Next time I stock up on our homeopathy I'm definitely using hocks, b/c their prices seemed really good. The local store with the best prices has a ton of good stuff and even I impulse-buy there, so that would save me right there. :)

So for me, I sometimes have to try hard to make the online/SR purchase the better deal (darn being in the state with HQs or sites of big online shopping companies! and I've worked at both of them!), but when it's better, it's better! :sunshine:

lanny76
03-13-2008, 03:56 PM
I don't do a lot of online shopping, but I think I'm going to convert somewhat!
At least I will in regards to Target and Old Navy - the nearest of both those stores is 45 minutes away, so not convenient to go unless we have some other reason to go to that city. And also, I have noticed that online selection is often more plentiful - nor am I as prone to load my cart as much online, either!
So my DH and I discussed it and agreed it will be better to do my Old Navy and Target shopping online - I can probably hit more sale prices that way, too, along with better selection. Plus, there's the cash back - which I'm certainly not getting from the bundle I dropped yest. at the real live Old Navy store!
Sounds like there are other great deals people have mentioned here that I should look into.
A great thread idea - thanks!

SunshineGirl
03-13-2008, 04:44 PM
I don't do a lot of online shopping, but I think I'm going to convert somewhat!
At least I will in regards to Target and Old Navy - the nearest of both those stores is 45 minutes away, so not convenient to go unless we have some other reason to go to that city. And also, I have noticed that online selection is often more plentiful - nor am I as prone to load my cart as much online, either!
So my DH and I discussed it and agreed it will be better to do my Old Navy and Target shopping online - I can probably hit more sale prices that way, too, along with better selection. Plus, there's the cash back - which I'm certainly not getting from the bundle I dropped yest. at the real live Old Navy store!
Sounds like there are other great deals people have mentioned here that I should look into.
A great thread idea - thanks!

Don't forget to click the little box on these merchants to sign up for the Sunshine Savers. If you know you shop there anyway, it's good to be notified when they put out good coupons or free shipping.

m4travels
03-13-2008, 04:47 PM
I hate shopping, at least the act of physically going into a store/mall. I do NOT do well with crowds at all and I go into a very quick meltdown when I'm out.

Our office is about 2 miles from a Staples and I was always heading down there at 7:00 a.m. when they opened to get office supplies. VERY few people shop at 7:00 a.m. I started ordering online from Staples as the shipping was free because of the dollar amount I was spending, but then T and company put Quill up and I'll admit, 3% back is better than 1% so I went to them for supplies.....they're delivered by a Staples truck!

Partner dude is the antithesis of me. He'll shop in stores anytime he can, though he does a fair amount online as well. Actually, I think it's more than a fair amount.

I'm also HORRIBLE at sending gifts at ANY time. The popcorn that I sent from Dale and Thomas for Christmas gifts were probably the first Christmas gifts that didn't arrive in March!!!! (I'm not kidding about that!!) It is just much more convenient to do my shopping online. Do I get bummed about shipping costs? Yeah, some are pretty silly but it's worth it to me NOT to go out into the masses. Dude on a meltdown is not a pretty sight.

And now there's Sur la Table.....

spring
03-13-2008, 04:57 PM
For Valentine's Day, I decided to buy DH a larger battery back-up for his computer. He had been complaining that his was not big enough to support our frequent power surges, while mine was a little larger and did just fine. I did an on-line search and got him the "mother of all backups." A comparison search showed me that Circuit City had it almost $50 cheaper than anywhere else. I don't have a Circuit City near me, but I went through SR shopping and found a coupon for free shipping for products over $40. Bingo! Cheap price, no shipping charges, and money back. Sold!:cooldance:

sunshinecindy
03-13-2008, 05:01 PM
I hate shopping, at least the act of physically going into a store/mall. I do NOT do well with crowds at all and I go into a very quick meltdown when I'm out.

And now there's Sur la Table.....

Michael dear, where have you been all my life?

jnorth1007
03-13-2008, 05:11 PM
I ordered almost every single christmas gift online this year LOL I don't think I paid shipping on any of them. The only gifts I didn't buy online were for people I didn't know what to get and those i waited until the last possible minute to get. Priceless. Boxes just showed up everyday. i order my bath stuff from Cindy when I need it. I was spending a fortune at BBW because I would all this crap i didn't need. Now I just order my body scrub and candle tarts and I get my rewards.

lanny76
03-13-2008, 05:31 PM
Don't forget to click the little box on these merchants to sign up for the Sunshine Savers. If you know you shop there anyway, it's good to be notified when they put out good coupons or free shipping.

Thanks! I do already get one for Old Navy, I think, but I should get the Target too. Maybe some others!!

OhMari
03-13-2008, 06:05 PM
We have a Diesel truck and the price of a gallon just went up to 4.15. We figured when we go to the nearest town, round trip it cost $13. My dh figured that one out. So if we go to shop, we have to have 5 different places to go to, or we don't go until we do.

My favorite store is Quill too. They keep adding more products to their store. I ordered a case of kleenix with my office supply. Guess what, I am using the last box. Plus Quill always has buy a product and get something free. The free gift is right on the website, so it is legal to use. Anyone want a tea set?

And, thank you Tricia for having a code to Kohl's today!! Free shipping too if you spend $75. I was in the store, looking at the pants and shirts I want, I was trying them on. My dh wanted shoes and so did my ds. I wrote everything down, and came home and ordered, so I got everything on sale, plus the extra 15% off my total order. Woohoo!!

speechteachri
03-13-2008, 07:41 PM
I must admit...I am a shopper...and not just any shopper, but a bargain clearance rack, coupon toting, sockpiler! It is rare for me to buy anything if it is not on sale or clearance or without a coupon! I like to go into stores just to look through the clearance items!!:)

that said....I would never buy a pair of Crocs from a store, as I can ALWAYS get them cheaper from shoebuy with their sales, and I almost never buy books or CD's from a "regular" store anymore, because I can get them so much cheaper online through Amazon, e-bay....any number of places. I have also saved lots on electronics and I'm waiting for the dishwasher to go on sale again through HomeDepot online, which will save me a bundle. Also I have saved on things for the house like curtains, etc. Lots of other stuff too...too much to mention.:)

sunshinecindy
03-13-2008, 08:14 PM
I'm waiting for the dishwasher to go on sale again through HomeDepot online, which will save me a bundle. )

Which dishwasher. I have some HD coupons up now so you might want to check them out, or I can see if i can find you one.

askomsky
03-13-2008, 10:29 PM
I must admit...I am a shopper...and not just any shopper, but a bargain clearance rack, coupon toting, sockpiler! It is rare for me to buy anything if it is not on sale or clearance or without a coupon! I like to go into stores just to look through the clearance items!!:)

that said....I would never buy a pair of Crocs from a store, as I can ALWAYS get them cheaper from shoebuy with their sales, and I almost never buy books or CD's from a "regular" store anymore, because I can get them so much cheaper online through Amazon, e-bay....any number of places. I have also saved lots on electronics and I'm waiting for the dishwasher to go on sale again through HomeDepot online, which will save me a bundle. Also I have saved on things for the house like curtains, etc. Lots of other stuff too...too much to mention.:)

OH MY!!!! You took the words RIGHT out of my mouth! lol While I will take a good deal when I see it.....
I must admit...I am a shopper...and not just any shopper, but a bargain clearance rack, coupon toting, sockpiler! It is rare for me to buy anything if it is not on sale or clearance or without a coupon! I like to go into stores just to look through the clearance items!!:) you and I must be long lost twins!!!!! :)

April

fourfoxesinpa
03-13-2008, 10:37 PM
OH MY!!!! You took the words RIGHT out of my mouth! lol While I will take a good deal when I see it..... you and I must be long lost twins!!!!! :)

April

Make us triplets! :hugs: I love rebating, have traded and bought coupons for my organized coupon shoebox (not a wimpy envelope!), and always head straight to the BACK of the stores for the clearance racks. It is rare for me to buy anything at retail price.

askomsky
03-13-2008, 10:42 PM
Make us triplets! :hugs: I love rebating, have traded and bought coupons for my organized coupon shoebox (not a wimpy envelope!), and always head straight to the BACK of the stores for the clearance racks. It is rare for me to buy anything at retail price.

LOL The thrill of the hunt!!! I get mad if I HAVE to buy something at retail! (Like DS's jeans bc he goes through them so darn fast!) Even then I'll wait until Sears puts them on sale, and buy 6 pairs!

zoodoyle
03-13-2008, 10:44 PM

Call us QUADS!! :sunshine: My kids even know, if we're at Target, and there's no red sticker, we are NOT buying it!! :p

speechteachri
03-13-2008, 10:47 PM
Which dishwasher. I have some HD coupons up now so you might want to check them out, or I can see if i can find you one.

It's an LG one that Sears does not seem to have anymore. I did check the coupons and the price, but it's still at their regular price, which is $150 more than the internet special they ran a couple of months ago that I missed. I'll keep watching though because they always seem to cycle through.:)

askomsky
03-13-2008, 10:51 PM
Call us QUADS!! :sunshine: My kids even know, if we're at Target, and there's no red sticker, we are NOT buying it!! :p

LOL!! My girls are trained when we walk into Target they walk right to the back of the aisles where all the clearance stuff is.

DS gets mad sometimes, when we're in the store or grocery shopping. It goes something like this... "Mom, I really would like this ceral." Me, Is it on sale? DS "GEESH MOM, does EVERYTHING HAVE to be on clearance?" Me, I didn't say clearance I said on sale... DS " Well it does say save .50" Me, let me see if I have a coupon first... DS " (tapping his foot, face turning red) COME ON MOM, do you HAVE to have a coupon for EVERYTHING!!!" LMAO
He used to get so mad at me, to the point he refuses to come to the store with me anymore... :) On the other hand we were out buying a video game for him with his money and when he saw it was on sale (Mom being smart let him go THAT week to buy it bc I knew it was on sale) he was bouncing off the walls that he was saving $10. He actually apoligized to me for always giving me a hard time about coupons, sales and clearance items! lol

~Kathie
03-14-2008, 12:05 AM
I have such a hard time buying shoes because of my size. I could go into 10 B&M shoe stores and MAYBE find 10 pairs of shoes if I am lucky. By shopping online I have hundreds of choices.

I am always looking for deals and specials and free shipping.

Today I shopped at Disneyshopping because they had up to 80% off in the outlet. I was able to get free shipping for spending over $50 with the Sunshine code listed.

I have a wedding (May) and bridal shower (April) to go to so I shopped at Kohl's and bought the gifts.......shipping was free cause I spent over $75 and got the % off.

I also did a lot of online shopping with free shipping for gifts for Christmas. Easier to have the items shipped direct than me having to ship.

speechteachri
03-14-2008, 06:52 AM
DS gets mad sometimes, when we're in the store or grocery shopping. It goes something like this... "Mom, I really would like this ceral." Me, Is it on sale? DS "GEESH MOM, does EVERYTHING HAVE to be on clearance?" Me, I didn't say clearance I said on sale... DS " Well it does say save .50" Me, let me see if I have a coupon first... DS " (tapping his foot, face turning red) COME ON MOM, do you HAVE to have a coupon for EVERYTHING!!!" LMAO
He used to get so mad at me, to the point he refuses to come to the store with me anymore... :) On the other hand we were out buying a video game for him with his money and when he saw it was on sale (Mom being smart let him go THAT week to buy it bc I knew it was on sale) he was bouncing off the walls that he was saving $10. He actually apoligized to me for always giving me a hard time about coupons, sales and clearance items! lol

My dd is the same way, but she is learning to be a better manager of her money in the long run! She always tells people that I never buy something that is not clearanced!

OH MY!!!! You took the words RIGHT out of my mouth! lol While I will take a good deal when I see it..... you and I must be long lost twins!!!!!

April

Call us QUADS!!My kids even know, if we're at Target, and there's no red sticker, we are NOT buying it!! :p

Clearance club unite!!!!!

Did I mention that the first place I look for online shopping is the clearance section too??? ;) My dd thinks I need therapy to work on my clearance "problem!!" But I tell her that her theater classes are paid for partly through my clearance buying....that stops the comments!

fourfoxesinpa
03-14-2008, 07:25 AM
My dd is the same way, but she is learning to be a better manager of her money in the long run! She always tells people that I never buy something that is not clearanced!

Did I mention that the first place I look for online shopping is the clearance section too??? ;) My dd thinks I need therapy to work on my clearance "problem!!" But I tell her that her theater classes are paid for partly through my clearance buying....that stops the comments!

Yup - that's what I tell my kids. Clearance/Coupons/Sales = More Mickey, More Often!

Now, I did see TRU online was having a sale on their Wii games. Buy SuperMarioSmashBros. and get a different game for 1/2 price. I live more than 15 miles from a TRU and that definitely is worth shopping online for and saves gas money.

amarazas
03-14-2008, 09:13 AM

THIS CLUB IS FOR ME TOO! :hugs:

I'm right there with you! DS8 & DD7 both ask for coupons as we walk through the store... They'll pick up something at Target and ask do you have a coupon to get this? I'll tell them "No, not everything has a coupon." Then DD7 says, "Then we can't get it..." DS8 then says, "Wait! There's a red tag on it.. We can get it!" (You know those red tags .... the clearance ones... )

I'm right there with April... Well we keep check with each other when items are on clearance ...

As for shopping online, I get books online & I keep tabs on TRU, Target, & Walmart... over Christmas Guitar Hero was on sale at Target... they didn't have anymore in the store (I called before I went) ... clicked through SR, used a coupon, there wasn't free shipping, but I ended up paying less than I would have in the store AND I got credit from SR!:cooldance:

askomsky
03-14-2008, 09:35 AM

LOL Yes DS8 understands it all now, especially when he knows how much his ice hockey costs..... He gets it, save money here so we can spend money there!

Yes Amy and I will call eachother on the cell if we just happen to walk into a store with an awesome clearance. Was on my way home from shopping, calls me as she walks into Target after xmas just put all their toys 75% off, guess where I detoured on the way home! lol

zoodoyle
03-14-2008, 10:13 AM
I'm right there with you! DS8 & DD7 both ask for coupons as we walk through the store... They'll pick up something at Target and ask do you have a coupon to get this? I'll tell them "No, not everything has a coupon." Then DD7 says, "Then we can't get it..." DS8 then says, "Wait! There's a red tag on it.. We can get it!" (You know those red tags .... the clearance ones... )

:rotfl: EXACTLY how our conversations take place while shopping!! :sunshine:

Alice28
03-14-2008, 12:19 PM
Shoes are huge for me- I rarely buy any, but when I do it's with Shoebuy. I wear an ELEVEN, so trying to find good quality shoes at a reasonable price in stores is a joke- usually only specialty stores carry my size, and they're not cheap. I'm excited cause I need 2 pairs of shoes, and I keep thinking "oooo- that will be a good $10 or so in my SR account!":cooldance:

I also find myself doing my Gap shopping online- they closed the store closest to me- the nearest one now is a good 15+ miles away- 30 miles round trip is more than a gallon of gas in my car, so the shipping breaks it even. And saves me time.

askomsky
03-14-2008, 02:03 PM
Shoes are huge for me- I rarely buy any, but when I do it's with Shoebuy. I wear an ELEVEN, so trying to find good quality shoes at a reasonable price in stores is a joke- usually only specialty stores carry my size, and they're not cheap. I'm excited cause I need 2 pairs of shoes, and I keep thinking "oooo- that will be a good $10 or so in my SR account!":cooldance:

I also find myself doing my Gap shopping online- they closed the store closest to me- the nearest one now is a good 15+ miles away- 30 miles round trip is more than a gallon of gas in my car, so the shipping breaks it even. And saves me time.

You and me both (size 11). I used to be a 10, then got pg and had kids and technically I'm a 10.5 but they don't make that size and 11's fit comfortably. Kohls and Famous Footwear are the only two places I've been able to go into the store to shop. Shoebuy has been awesome for me! :)

3dog2kidmom
03-14-2008, 02:49 PM
You and me both (size 11). I used to be a 10, then got pg and had kids and technically I'm a 10.5 but they don't make that size and 11's fit comfortably. Kohls and Famous Footwear are the only two places I've been able to go into the store to shop. Shoebuy has been awesome for me! :)

Me three on the size 11 shoes. I really also need a 10.5 but alas, no one makes them (well maybe if I was willing to pay hundreds!!). So Shoebuy is a big money saver, plus it helps that I buy all of DH & DS' shoes there. No shipping + no gas used + SR coupons and credits = HUGE savings!

Another way I feel I am really saving is in my time. I work fulltime and do not have enough hours in the day to bargain hunt, except online which I do for therapy. I also have a problem walking into a physical store and not buying "something" even if it's not exactly what I had in mind. With online shopping, there is none of that, so if I don't find exactly what I need at one site I move on to another! This is huge during Christmas when I, like many others, used to buy 1 gift and 1 thing for me; 2 gifts, 3 more things for me, etc! And a lot of times I don't even complete purchases. Just filling the shopping cart at disneyshopping.com without checking out is therapy enough. I give it an hour or a day and the urge is over.

Finally, as others have mentioned, with fuel soaring towards $4 a gallon if it's not on my way to or from work or baseball or Aldi, we don't go there.

speechteachri
03-14-2008, 03:25 PM
I just LOVE shoebuy....and I'm NOT size 11!!!:rotfl:

To add to the sites I already listed, I also really like Overstock, but haven't used them recently...some great deals at times, and also drugstore.com, can't remember if I mentioned that earlier.:)

lanny76
03-14-2008, 03:35 PM
Size 11 - wow, that's about 2x the size I wear, only a 6!:rotfl:

~Kathie
03-14-2008, 05:01 PM
Size 11 - wow, that's about 2x the size I wear, only a 6!:rotfl:

I never thought that other people would have the same problem as me but just a different size. I take a between a 5 and 5.5.

I don't care much for any B&M shoe store. I have been asked more than once if I looked for shoes in the GIRLS department!!! Yeah right......a 50-something year old wearing little girls shoes. Give me a break!!

Blessing and Miracle
03-14-2008, 05:21 PM
Online Shopping is a sick persons salvation! :rotfl:

I'd probably given up loooooog time ago if I didn't have online shopping!

Enough said!:rotfl:

I can give several other reasons but this is by far the most important to me.

piglet-for-me
03-14-2008, 05:53 PM
Thank you for the idea of drugstore.com :sunshine: I had been looking for someplace to order these types of items for and knew that Walmart & Target didn't. Obviously I didn't look very hard or would have come across their website.

I just placed my first order this morning. Only the items we needed. No much in the way of impulse shopping that way.

LOL Yes DS8 understands it all now, especially when he knows how much his ice hockey costs..... He gets it, save money here so we can spend money there!

I also have an 8 year old who also plays hockey. I found it a real sticker shock to see just how expensive of a sport it can be.

askomsky
03-14-2008, 09:05 PM
I also have an 8 year old who also plays hockey. I found it a real sticker shock to see just how expensive of a sport it can be.

Uh... YEAH! DH swore he would never do it, but the love of the game got the better of him. Of course DS8 loves it too, and is pretty good. Averages about 2 goals a game. The bad part..... DH plays in 2 "old" men (as he calls it) leagues... At least those fee's are NOTHING compared to what it costs for DS.

Alice28
03-15-2008, 12:48 AM

Glad I'm not the only one. Before kids I was a nice 9.5 medium, could wear a 10. So easy to just bee bop into any shoe store, esp Macy's and buy me some shoes. Then I had my kids- UGH. No one told me that your feet got bigger too! not just the tummy!

And FYI- I ordered my two shoes today. I should see approx $15 go into SR soon. YIP-YIP-YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!:sunshine2:

andrea2289
03-15-2008, 01:03 AM
I think you have to just know when you are saving money. Kind-of like at Sam's and Costco...not everything is a savings just because it is in bulk. I do better buying individually with coupons on groceries, toiletries and paper products. Online, I watch for sales, coupon codes, free shipping etc. Most of the time I can wait for one of these to come out before I make a purchase. AVON is a good example. I like to stock-up when they have a free shipping special and usually can wait until one comes out. The last time I bought ink, I didn't need it, but I knew I would soon, so I used the discount and SR limited cash back increase and really saved some money. When I bought my son’s bed, it was the same price in store and online, but online I was able to get free shipping. So by buying online, I was able to get SR credits!

So, IF it saves me, will save me, or if I come out even but with SR credits…I will buy online. The gas issue really isn’t an issue for me. I live in a town of 6800 and Super-Walmart is ¼ mile away LOL – I love online shopping because it gives me more variety since ALL we have is Wal-Mart! I can find things online that I'd never find anywhere around here! Oh and I second flower delivery! Love it!

sunshinecindy
03-15-2008, 01:36 PM
I think you have to just know when you are saving money. Kind-of like at Sam's and Costco...not everything is a savings just because it is in bulk. I do better buying individually with coupons on groceries, toiletries and paper products. Online, I watch for sales, coupon codes, free shipping etc. Most of the time I can wait for one of these to come out before I make a purchase. AVON is a good example. I like to stock-up when they have a free shipping special and usually can wait until one comes out. The last time I bought ink, I didn't need it, but I knew I would soon, so I used the discount and SR limited cash back increase and really saved some money. When I bought my son’s bed, it was the same price in store and online, but online I was able to get free shipping. So by buying online, I was able to get SR credits!

So, IF it saves me, will save me, or if I come out even but with SR credits…I will buy online. The gas issue really isn’t an issue for me. I live in a town of 6800 and Super-Walmart is ¼ mile away LOL – I love online shopping because it gives me more variety since ALL we have is Wal-Mart! I can find things online that I'd never find anywhere around here! Oh and I second flower delivery! Love it!

And don't forget that Walmart has the pick up in store option. You can shop through SR and still save money there.

andrea2289
03-15-2008, 01:52 PM
And don't forget that Walmart has the pick up in store option. You can shop through SR and still save money there.

I know and I always forget about that too!! My biggest mistake is 1/2 the time I forget to go through SR when I shop online...grrr :p

disney_girl
03-15-2008, 01:53 PM
I love the pick up in store feature through places like Wal-Mart and Best Buy. With little ones, it's not always convenient to go shopping. I can order and pay for it online and DH can run in and pick it up on his way home! And of course the SR credit is great!

So far, my kids are great when shopping, however there are still those times I don't want to pack everyone up and go to the store. So, finding deals online is great. I have also been known to find what I like at Kohl's B&M and come home and buy it online. Sometimes there is more size/ color selection online and it's still at the sale prices!

eaglesdare
03-16-2008, 10:20 AM
there are places on line that you buy paper goods and food from? do you get credit thru sr/money back?

i don't mind a good sale, and would love to shop online especially if i get money back into my sr account.

SunshineGirl
03-16-2008, 01:11 PM
there are places on line that you buy paper goods and food from? do you get credit thru sr/money back?

i don't mind a good sale, and would love to shop online especially if i get money back into my sr account.

I buy my paper and cleaning products in bulk from Restockit.